PDA

View Full Version : Elwood's Back (trail thief)

Butter
07-24-2004, 12:38
On July 13th I had an encounter with Elwood, a trail thief from last year, 2 miles north of the Mason-Dixon line near Deer Lick Shelters. I am the ridgerunner for the area this summer and I was on the trail last summer when Elwood stole from several hikers.

While not dangerous, Elwood has a long history of stealing gear and services from both day hikers, thru hikers, and towns. This year we do have reports of items going missing immediately after Elwood's appearance in an area.

Elwood can be identified as a male in his 40's to 50's. His most distinguishing feature is his rotted/tartered front teeth which are very noticable. He changes his name often; this year he has gone by "Constant Motion," "Zeke," and "Skid Marks." His real name is Steven Bundy. Additionally, he is in the habit of telling stories regarding the PCT. This year's deviation which I heard regarded Elwood coming to the AT after 1500 miles into the PCT near Mt. Shasta (he had to bail out because of heavy storms). Also, Elwood makes up stories regarding the deaths of his wife and son. All of these stories are made and told in an effort to soften hikers in the area up so they don't suspect him when he steals from their packs. Generally, Elwood will wait around camp in the mornings and evenings until hikers go to the privy or are not watching their possesions.

As of July 24th, 2004 I believe Elwood is in Centrail/Northern Pennsylvania. Please watch your possesions and respond to this thread with continued sightings so ridgerunners can track his progress and watch him.

All the best,
Ridgerunner Butta'
Southern PA

Jack Tarlin
07-24-2004, 14:43
Good post. I suggest you notify the following folks about this if you haven't already:

*The ATC office in Harper's Ferry, the Park Service A.T. office, and also the Outfitter there, in case he's heading South.

*The ATC regional office in Boiling Springs and the folks at the Doyle Hotel and the hostel in Delaware Water Gap in case he's moving North.

Putting your post in shelter registers in the area couldn't hurt either. When he realizes that people are on to him, maybe he'll move on.

2XL
07-24-2004, 16:33
Does this guy tend to stay down south of NY or could he turn up anywhere?

I think I will print Butter's post and put it in a couple NY shelter registers to give SOBO's a warning.

Uncle Wayne
07-26-2004, 03:02
My wife and I met this guy last November in the parking area near Springer. As our shuttle was leaving and we started toward the first white blaze on Springer, he called out that he had just finished his thru hike. That caught our attention so we walked over to him and congratulated him on his accomplishment. He had decided to hike the Benton McKay trail and then onto Florida, his "home" last year, but was in no hurry to leave since Springer Mtn. was his wife's favorite mountain. He gave us a very convincing story about his wife dying and her last wish was for him to complete a thru hike. He scattered her ashes from Katahdin and etc, etc. We talked awhile and after finding out we were headed to Springer and then back to Neels Gap, he offered to watch our packs so we wouldn't have to carry them while we went to Springer and then backtracked to the parking area.
Eventhough I was completely fooled by his story I declined his offer and we headed toward Springer. When we returned he was gone. We met Bluegrasshopper at Stover Creek Shelter a little later as he was finishing his thru hike. He warned us of a thief on the trail and that he was in this area. When he described him we knew it was our "friend" from the parking area. Butter description of him is exactly as we remember him also.
We heard later that he had joined up with a group on the Benton McKay trail.

Youngblood
07-26-2004, 06:39
Uncle Wayne,

I remember your story from last year. He probably moves around AND he is probably not the only character like that on the AT.

I remember hiking on the AT in north Georgia the September before my thru-hike. This girl approached me (and my girlfriend) at a parking lot and asked for help, as she was doing a southbound hike from somewhere in Virginia, was camping at Whitley Gap Shelter and had run out of food & money. Some things didn't seem right about her story, but I gave her a couple of candy bars and went off on my weekend backpacking trip. Funny thing... I saw this same girl on my thru-hike six months later only a half a mile away from that same road crossing (Hogpen Gap the first time, Testenee Gap the second time) hitting up some thru-hikers for stuff (in this case she got some food and shared what looked like a 'funny cigeratte'). I pointed out what I knew about her to other thru-hikers in front of her and just went on my way. Either she was a 'strange local', didn't hike very fast, was homeless and survived in the woods during the woods through out the winter months or something. However, she was not likely what she said... and I wouldn't want to leave my pack with her to watch.

Be careful out there and remember that con artists are usually good at what they do... or they have to find something else.

Youngblood

pvtmorriscsa
07-26-2004, 11:50
Why doesn't someone knock the ***** out of this thief. All I got to say is that if I discover someone rummaging through my possesions, they are not going to like the consequences of their actions.
Unless they are the furry ursoid sort of thief then I imagine they can pretty much take what they like.

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 11:54
Why doesn't someone knock the ***** out of this thief. All I got to say is that if I discover someone rummaging through my possesions, they are not going to like the consequences of their actions.
Unless they are the furry ursoid sort of thief then I imagine they can pretty much take what they like.

not that i would rummage through you possesions, but if you tried to knock the ***** out of me YOU may not enjoy the consequences of your action. ;)

Butter
07-26-2004, 14:36
Holla,

Once again about Elwood.

The ATC already knows about him as do a good majority of the services in the area he is in (PA). I work for the ATC as a ridgerunner and we are on to him. As far as I know, all of the ridgerunners north to MASS are aware of his reappearance this year. This post was just meant as a heads up to the hiking community.

Even though the ATC is aware of Elwood, very often there is too little that we can actually do. When Elwood steals from an individual we often times need a police report filled out. Too often in the long distance hiking community these crimes go unreported to both the ATC and the local law enforcement officials. The problem is that in Elwood's case we often times have many things turning up missing right as Elwood is moving on to another state. Because of this, we have trouble linking incidents to him and prosecuting.

Morale of the story:
Watch your stuff around Elwood. Report any incidents and his location if you see him. And always, whenever something turns up missing or some other notable incident occurs, regardless of whom is involved, report it to the ATC and/or the local law enforcement officials. Very often we at the ATC want to get these individuals off the trail as much as the hikers want to see them go.

-Ridgerunner Butta'
Southern PA

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 15:48
Has "elwood" ever been convicted of stealing??? or is he just a suspect at this point?

Butter
07-26-2004, 15:51
He was arrested at the Blackburn Center last year in West Virginia for stealing services from Bear's Den hostel and stealing various items from hikers.

Elwood's prime interest in the trail is stealing from others. While friendly and mostly harmless, he is a thief.

Hope this is helpful,
Ridgerunner Butta'

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 15:55
He was arrested at the Blackburn Center last year in West Virginia for stealing services from Bear's Den hostel and stealing various items from hikers.

Elwood's prime interest in the trail is stealing from others. While friendly and mostly harmless, he is a thief.

Hope this is helpful,
Ridgerunner Butta'

Was he found guilty on these charges?

MOWGLI
07-26-2004, 16:14

SMS, I don't know the answer to your question, but I did speak to the Caretaker at the Bears Den Hostel in December '03 who told me about this character. He talked about the guy lying about his wife being killed, and then skipping out on a bill. This guy is evidently "8 miles of bad road".

bearbait2k4
07-26-2004, 17:13
I believe he was found guilty of some of the charges, including the stolen gear found on him.

I ran into Elwood last year as he was coming into Hot Springs in early May. He told us a story about how one of the rangers in town had found him as soon as he came off the trail and gave him the news that his son had been killed while fighting in Iraq. We found the story to be doubtful, and just gave condolences and sent him on his way.

Later that afternoon, we heard that he had been telling people a similar story in order to get people to feel sorry for him and buy him food and drinks, as he bragged to one of my hiking buddies about what all he was getting from other people.

At this point, we decided to go to the Ranger's office, or whatever it is, in Hot Springs to try to validate his story. We repeated the story that he originally told us, and the ranger told us that #1, they have not heard of any such story, and #2, they don't solicit information to and from hikers about such personal information. They got a description of him and thanked us for the heads up.

Unfortunately, 2 days later, he was out partying and raising hell at Trail Days, which seems pretty odd for someone who just lost their son.

This is a very legitimate heads up for the hiking community out there this year. The guy is a scammer, not to be trusted.

Bonehead
07-26-2004, 18:46
Must be a real bonehead to go back on the AT again this year.

Hikerhead
07-26-2004, 22:30
Somebody needs to post of pic of this lowlife. We could make Wanted Posters and post them on the trail.

Or maybe we could be lucky enough for him to run into and steal from some Hoods in the Woods. That might solve the problem.

Streamweaver
07-26-2004, 23:51
I saw a photo or a post by somebody called Skid marks within the last week,but I cant for the life of me remember where I saw it. Maybe on the gallery here or Trail journals . Prolly more than one on the trail I suppose though. Streamweaver

steve hiker
07-27-2004, 00:27
Someone calling himself "Elwood Blues" posts a bunch of vicious spam on TrailForums periodically, about a well known and loved hostel owner. The real Elwood Blues is a musician with a checkered past that fits the activities of the trail "Elwood." Here's a short excerpt from a biographical sketch, and a link to the website.

"Elwood Blues was born on December 6th, 1953. While Elwood was at the orphanage, he met Jake Papageorge. Jake had a bad influence on Elwood, who was originally a quiet, shy student. After spending more time with Jake he began to cause fights, disrespect authority, commit crimes and pay little attention to his schooling.

"In 1970 Elwood Blues stole a car and he was put on probation for 7 months. In June 1971 Elwood Blues finished high school, and toured with Jake in the Blues Brothers. Both he and Jake committed many crimes along the way, and their police records became very large. In 1977 Jake robbed a gas station to pay for a room service bill, and was sentenced to 5 years prison.

"In 1980 Jake was released from prison after 3 years for good behaviour, and he and Elwood decided to reform the Blues Brother to raise money to save their orphanage from being closed down. They used part of the money to save their orphanage from being closed, but were arrested shortly afterwards, along with the rest of the band. Elwood remained in prison until 1998, when he was released.

"After meeting with Maury Sline, the Blues Brothers performed at Queen Moussette's Battle of the Bands. After losing the competition to the 'Louisiana Gater Boys', led by Malvern Gasperon, Elwood took Buster and fled from the police, and from Sister Mary. ...

http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/band.php?musician_id=1

Mountain Dew
07-27-2004, 02:15
Butter.....Nice to see you online after hiking with/around you last year. It was Elwood that stole many items from the group I was hiking with last year..."The Mairnttt... Boys". Everything Butter has said is true and if you run into Elwood NEVER leave your things alone with him. I wonder if he is still hiking in jeans. I'd personaly love to run into him again if you know what I mean.

jollies
07-27-2004, 11:10
I hiked last year with the victims of Elwood: Greenman and Sniper. I talked to them about him and got much the same story as Butter reports. I agree that you need to watch out for this guy. Not a quality hiker in the least.

P.S. Butta', how long are you doing the ridgerunning over there? Sorry I haven't gotten the chance to get to your section yet!

Jollies

Mountain Dew
07-28-2004, 04:08
Elwood's typical habits... AKA Steven Bundy.

---Tells military story's...claims to be EX-army
---Says his son and wife are dead. His son supposedly died in "several" wars.
---Has rotted out teeth
---approx. 5"10 185 lbs about 40-45 years old
---wears a round brim "aussie" looking hat
---hikes in jeans
---talks about hiking thousands of miles already this year. In '03 it was Mexico and this years it seems to be the PCT
---goes by skid marks at times
---slow to leave camp in the AM
---doesn't cover more than 10-12 miles a day, but will hitch or yellow blaze to stay with a certain group.

...maybe I should try to find a picture of him since I know I have one to post on here....

Butter
07-28-2004, 12:14
For a more recent description of Elwood's appearance as seen on the trail this year:

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION

Missing front teeth with tartar around the gums (this is his most notable characteristic)
Chiseled, tanned face, looked like he spends a lot of time outdoors
Gray eyes
Salt and pepper hair, shoulder-length, mostly straight but with a
slight wave, cut straight at the ends, thick but oily
Somewhat hairy legs
Height: 5'10" or 5'11"
Weight: 160-180
Trimmed, short salt-and-pepper beard and moustache, with a stubble
around the edges.
General appearance of being fit
Two-toned, mid- to- lightweight hiking boots that appeared fairly new.

CLOTHING/GEAR
Brownish, worn-looking baseball cap w/sunglasses resting on bill.
Word "paddle" was on the front on the cap.
Khaki shorts w/wide belt
Dark-colored pack w/bright yellow stuffsack.

Please remember, most individuals on the trail are perfectly harmless. As for my experiences, I've met the most incredible, trustworthy people in my life on the AT. However, occaissionally we do run into trouble individuals. This is one. I would recommend discussion on Elwood be kept to a minimum from now on unless there are continued sightings farther north. It's important to protect the aura of trust and goodwill on the trail. One way to protect that aura is to be informed of those on the trail; however, not to take the first news of those less trustworthy in a flurry. Just trust your gut, be informed, and be as sensible in the backcountry as you would back home. Happy hiking to all.

-
Ridgerunner Butta'
Southern PA

Jersey Bob
07-28-2004, 16:08
at least 10 characters

steve hiker
07-28-2004, 16:20
http://www.trailjournals.com/picview.cfm?sort=photo%2Eid&from=journalid&with=1389&id=31840
I downloaded it as my new screen saver. :-?

Hikerhead
07-28-2004, 22:29
I wonder who he stole that radio from?

Catsgoing
07-28-2004, 22:51
Is this true this man steals from hikers on the AT? He looks spooky but most do after hiking for days weeks etc..... I am a newbie hoping to train to be a thru hiker.

Hikerhead
07-28-2004, 23:20
Not knowing first hand but, I think the information on this thread about this guy points to the conclusion that yes, this guy will steal from you if given the chance. Uncle Wayne, is this the guy at the Springer parking lot?

The chances of you running into him are small I would think. Especially when he knows everyone is on to him and he reallizes his game has played out.

The chances that you meet up with another like him are equally small. Just be mindful of who's around you. If you feel uneasy around someone, move on.
You'll more than likely hook up with someother hikers so don't feel like it going to be you against the low lifes. 99% of the hikers out there are the nicest people you'll ever want to meet. Except for me when it's late in the day and I'm trying to catch up :p

Hikerhead
07-29-2004, 00:35
In the future, I see him wearing something like this. And this time it wasn't stolen, it was given to him.

Uncle Wayne
07-29-2004, 07:42
Uncle Wayne, is this the guy at the Springer parking lot?

Yep, he's the one. When I saw him last year he had a longer beard, almost shoulder length hair and was wearing the same gaiters he has on in this photo.

sgtjinx
07-29-2004, 11:39
There is one type of person that we couldn't stand for in the Rangers. That is a thief or a Food thief. They didn't last to long in there. They would fall down the stairs a lot.

We do the trails to meet new people or see new sites. But not to have our gear or food stolen by some scum bag. Who maybe a couple of beers short of a six-pack.:mad:

steve hiker
07-29-2004, 13:45
There is one type of person that we couldn't stand for in the Rangers.
Texas Rangers? What position did you play? I love baseball.

MDSHiker
07-29-2004, 14:18
Thanks for posting a link to his pic. I personally haven't ran into him but I'll be on the lookout.

Jersey Bob
07-29-2004, 14:29
at least 10 characters

sgtjinx
07-29-2004, 15:03
Texas Rangers? What position did you play? I love baseball.

:bse That's AAAAAAAAAAArmy Ranger.

Kozmic Zian
07-29-2004, 18:29
Yea......The Thief! .................You know, the Trail has always provided a place for less savory characters to 'runaway' to. I'll bet you a dollar to a dime 'Elwood' has outstanding warrants, and if the 'authorities' knew where he was, he'd get picked up. No more thief. He'll put the proverbial 'gun to his own head', create some kind of chaos, get the cops on his ass, and be out'a here. Those guys are always alot more stupid than they look?(nice pic) KZ@;)

illininagel
07-29-2004, 23:09
http://www.trailjournals.com/picview.cfm?sort=photo%2Eid&from=journalid&with=1389&id=31840

So, that's where my radio went!

:)

BonzNRio
07-30-2004, 07:10
Is Elwood hiking north or south? I'm in Harpers Ferry.He comes through my backyard he can be made to feel really uncomfortable.

Jersey Bob
07-30-2004, 09:16
at least 10 characters

Tent-N-Kent
08-02-2004, 04:53
Let me get this straight, I hope...You are questioning was he found guilty because...#1 You are a defense attorney, maybe...#2 You want the trailfamily to be darnsure accurate before going out on a witchhunt for this man, because maybe you've been there too...or #3 You are missing the point that multiple persons have had multiple encounters with this sad individual and they are taking control of the situation and are trying to prevent the trail community from being harmed in this way. Maybe , I'm mistaken , but you seem to be criticizing the efforts of those who would protect your property, while protecting the one who would rob you blind...

Youngblood
08-02-2004, 08:16
Let me get this straight, I hope...You are questioning was he found guilty because...#1 You are a defense attorney, maybe...#2 You want the trailfamily to be darnsure accurate before going out on a witchhunt for this man, because maybe you've been there too...or #3 You are missing the point that multiple persons have had multiple encounters with this sad individual and they are taking control of the situation and are trying to prevent the trail community from being harmed in this way. Maybe , I'm mistaken , but you seem to be criticizing the efforts of those who would protect your property, while protecting the one who would rob you blind...

I think SMS's question was reasonable. I don't understand your comments though. Correct me if I am wrong SMS, but SMS's question was asked after someone mentioned taking 'vigilante type action' on this person if they got the chance to based entirely on what was mentioned on this site. And that worries me too... vigilantees have a history of getting the facts wrong and subjecting gross injustice on what sometimes turn out to be innocent, or 'not so guilty' people. It is one thing to be careful and/or avoid someone who may steal from you, it is quite a different thing to look for them with the sole purpose to inflict physical pain on them.

Youngblood

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2004, 09:06
Innocent until proven Gulity..It's the American Way..

at least it used to be :confused:

BonzNRio
08-02-2004, 09:09
Yesterday I learned that Elwood passed through Harpers Ferry two weeks ago.That would put him in or near DWG at this time. What a coinkadink,I'm shuttling a buddy there tonight...... ;)

Jack Tarlin
08-02-2004, 14:23
Steve--

When the sheriff caught up with him at the Blackburn Center (Where he was arrested for defrauding another hostel), they dumped his pack out and he was carrying stuff that was immediately identified as belonging to half a dozen different hikes.

"Innocent til proven Guilty" is the American way. I prefer another expression:

"Hang 'em High."

Your compassion is being wasted here, Steve. This guy is guilty as the day is long.

MOWGLI
08-02-2004, 14:54
There is no better way to poison the proverbial "watering hole" of good will that exists on the AT than to steal from another hiker. It is trust that binds the community together.

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2004, 16:28
Steve--

When the sheriff caught up with him at the Blackburn Center (Where he was arrested for defrauding another hostel), they dumped his pack out and he was carrying stuff that was immediately identified as belonging to half a dozen different hikes.

"Innocent til proven Guilty" is the American way. I prefer another expression:

"Hang 'em High."

Your compassion is being wasted here, Steve. This guy is guilty as the day is long.

well I'm a conservative, patriotic American myself unlike the radical in the WhiteHouse...and if this guy has been proven gulity I agree "Hang'em high".
and publish his Picture...

so you see it is important to have this fact...we know that he is a real thief..not just speculation, since I will hopefully be doing some hiking SOBO with my son this fall I have a personal interest in the case. so it is not compassion for the guy but a search for the "real" truth in the matter. I have no idea why you try to say I have compassion for the guy I was just asking a relevant question.

I am glad that we know that the theft was prosecuted and "Elwood" found gulity.
So many trail "crimes" against other people /trail businesses seem to go unpunished, (well except for innocent hikers who follow) so It is good to know that theft on the trail is taken serious by some authorities.

Icicle
08-02-2004, 16:41
I think that I would find someone hiking in jeans a little suspect anyway. Or does his attire change?

Disney
08-04-2004, 19:45
I met Zeke with my father coming out of the Greyson Highlands. He struck me as extremely odd from the beginning.

His wife and son were killed by a drunk driver.
He was driven off the PCT because of storms.
He promised his wife he would finish a thru hike on her death bed.

He was south bound. We gave him a ride to Damascus, and actually bought him a cup of coffee.

rumbler
08-04-2004, 23:50
Elwood. What a treat.

Last year his wife had been killed somehow. His son had just been killed in Iraq, and the military buried him without notifying Elwood. Elwood himself in a remarkable coincidence had been held captive and tortured in Iran for months during the hostage crisis in 1979, and killed 2 guards to get out on an Air Force chopper. All of which went unknown to us, since he was deeply undercover. All of this I found out from Elwood during a 12-hour period leaving Damascus. Subtle he is not.

I ran into him on a road outside of Waynesboro where he was waiting for his nephews to arrive to take him to Arlington to pray at his sons grave. The next day I am reading his journal entry describing an epic night hike that covered almost twenty miles in a bit under five hours, no mention of Arlington.

He had hiked all through Mexico, not from a love of hiking but from a need "to find someone deserving payback". He left lewd journal entries, and was apparently caught last year spanking his kids in a shelter, much to the horror of the gal trying to sleep next to him. Although I heard this one second hand, so perhaps the legend developed a life of its own.

In one of the best events of last year's hike - ranking high in the pantheon of greatest trail moments ever - he was arrested for stealing after being chased up a hill and caught by Karma, a very entertaining hiker who happended to be staying at the hostel that evening.

The guy is pathological. He knows you don't believe him, and it just forces him into even more outrageous stories. I would almost feel sorry for him if he wasn't such a ****bag.

Tent-N-Kent
08-05-2004, 04:24
Greetings to all in need of clarification of my recent post: I find SMS Comments in the forum to be interesting, entertaining and on frequent occasions inciteful to healthy debate. My post began let me get this right, because , I was focusing on , not so much the emotional posts concerning retributional acts on him , but overall the lack of consideration given to the Ridgerunners comments clearly stating this Man is a Chronic predator. He has been caught before and would probably have been caught many times if not for the general trusting and non-vindictiveness of our trail family. It is tough for a law officer to investigate an habitual offender in a community of roving gypsies such as we are , let alone bring to trial and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt , which is , kind of what I thought it sounded like Smoky Mtn Steves comments as a whole in the thread were leading towards...( hypothetically ) " Hey , don't talk about this guy negatively at all unless some Judge somewhere has really thrown the book at him."....

I totally agree it is inappropriate to go out and punish a pilferer with physical assault and threats of worse, I did not intend to endorse such sentiment in my post. Please accept my apologies to all for the harsher tone towards SMS than I had originally intended...I had spent 20 minutes reading the whole, debate and at least 15 minutes typing a more thoughtful post, a keystroke on the wrong row erased that one and I rushed through the second attempt, visualizing all the while the first text in my mind leaving out certain nuances...once again we have illustrated the limitations of the online debating hall.
I still want to hear about and better yet , see a picture of any person out there on the Trail who is liable to steal , or harm someone , even if it's not been proved yet in a court of law. I wouldn't attack this " person " , I wouldn't confront him , ostracize , publicly embarrass them. I might even share a beer with him along the way, but I < STILL > would like a Heads up , so I don't leave my wife and my pack with him at a shelter while I would go perhaps to a town for services. I thought that was the main purpose of the Thread. Thanks to Youngblood for rightly questioning my other post, Tent-N-Kent

Mountain Dew
08-07-2004, 06:02
Rumbler......hahahaaaaa.....you telling those story's brought back many memory's of Elwood using those same lines on me and my crew. My only hope is that I can indeed come face to face with Elwood just once more.

BonzNRio
08-07-2004, 06:42
This past tuesday I drove a fellow hiker to DWG. I stopped at the mansion & Port Clinton on the way. Several hikers at each spot said that Elwood was either yellow blazing foward or had left the trail because the police were looking for him.:clap

Jersey Bob
08-07-2004, 22:37
at least 10 characters

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2004, 22:43

lets keep the link to his picture current also

Tractor
08-08-2004, 21:07
Can't help but wonder. We met "Nevada Slim" in Damascus the other day, then again at Kincora. Seemed ok but the descriptions say it's same/same man. No problems but seemed a bit out of place (ie. came into the hostle-via hitch with dry boots but it had been raining most of the day?? He left a knife, which I turned in at Kincora, might be going back for it someday???? Last we saw of him (about 2 weeks ago) he came with us to Hampton to hitch to Erwin.

Tractor
08-08-2004, 21:11
with longer hair and no beard.

Hikerhead
08-08-2004, 21:40
I read on someone's journal this past week on Trailjournals that two packs where stolen at The Place in Damascus recently. Hmmmm........

tribes
08-08-2004, 22:11
Does Elwood have any tattoos??

copythat
08-09-2004, 00:00
Fascinating thread. Confronted by a man accused of being a thieving varmint, reactions range from "Hang 'im high" to "Hire 'im a lawyer."

It's true that the law of our nation affords the accused with certain rights, and our laws only make sense if everyone gets the same rights, but here's this *#$&*+@ preying on a community of independent people who have a decades-long tradition of looking out for one another.

Is it enough to say Elwood's crimes are proved by triangulation, by the multiple accusations? "Hey, nine people say he's a thief, so he must be a thief." What if it were only two people?

One thing seems really clear to me: Elwood has some ... how to put this, difficulties with reality, and some ... well, issues with antisocial behavior. He's not just some small-time magpie collecting shiny objects.

One way to go would be to take it as fact that he's a thievin' sc*&bag and keep a damn close eye on him (and shut him out of the goodwill of the trail family), and then to take every opportunity to steer him toward the authorities, or the authorities toward him. That way, we'd be protecting ourselves -- without putting ourselves at risk.

Joel Rash
08-09-2004, 11:20
On Friday afternoon I ran into Steve/Elwood at the Waterville Rd. exit of I-40 (near the Bear's Den Hostel). He was closer to the road than the trail, I imagine he hitched in and will hitch back out. Looked like a hiker - no jeans. Smelled like a hiker - full pack and rig. Talked like a scam artist - hiked the PCT, wife died two months ago, hiking the AT south as a tribute to her, etc. To be honest I don't mind being taken by a good story, but stealing crosses the line. If I can figure out how to post a current photo (or if somone else wants to) I'll put it up.

BNC
08-09-2004, 13:20
Hello all,
I am not a hiker but have an friend who is Hiking, GreyFox. I have seen Elwood quite abit in the Damascus, VA area as well as the Elkpark,TN area. I would almost venture to say he is a local resident here in this area. I have seen this guy quite abit over the years and I will do my best to get more info on him, we actually say "hello" we have seen each other so many times. Good Luck to all of you hiking and please stay safe, also be careful around the Elk Park area shelters as I have heard several of the locals brag about their taunts of thru hikers, it is a very backwoods part of ETN, very little for them to do but harrass people. Buck Mtn is very close to that area and it is so bad there that even the law enforcement will not go in there with out being well armed. Stay safe.....
BNC

tribes
08-09-2004, 17:50
On Friday afternoon I ran into Steve/Elwood at the Waterville Rd. exit of I-40 (near the Bear's Den Hostel). He was closer to the road than the trail, I imagine he hitched in and will hitch back out. If I can figure out how to post a current photo (or if somone else wants to) I'll put it up.

Please post a more recent picture if you will. I think we may have run into him last week near Northern VA. The old picture kinda looks like him but the guy we saw was somewhat shaven but had most of the physical attributes described in the earlier posts, including rotten front teeth with a few missing.

BeaverTrapper
08-09-2004, 23:44
Innocent until proven Gulity..It's the American Way..
Nope. A man is innocent in the eyes of the law until proven guilty. We the people are free to form our own opinions, based on our own experience and intuition. We are free to like, or dislike; judge or not judge others as we choose.

I can take one look at the SOB and tell you that I'd sleep with one eye open if that dude was around.

steve hiker
08-10-2004, 00:32
Elwood's sure been having a lot of people dying on him lately. Poor SOB, I dedicate this song to him:

People Who Died

Words and music: Jim Carroll

Teddy sniffing glue he was 12 years old
Fell from the roof on East Two-nine
Cathy was 11 when she pulled the plug
On 26 reds and a bottle of wine
Bobby got leukemia, 14 years old
He looked like 65 when he died
He was a friend of mine

Chorus:
Those are people who died, died
They were all my friends, and they died

G-berg and Georgie let their gimmicks go rotten
So they died of hepatitis in upper Manhattan
Sly in Vietnam took a bullet in the head
Bobby OD'd on Drano on the night that he was wed
They were two more friends of mine
Two more friends that died / I miss 'em--they died

Repeat chorus

Mary took a dry dive from a hotel room
Bobby hung himself from a cell in the tombs
Judy jumped in front of a subway train
Eddie got slit in the jugular vein
And Eddie, I miss you more than all the others,
And I salute you brother/ This song is for you my brother

Repeat chorus

Herbie pushed Tony from the Boys' Club roof
Tony thought that his rage was just some goof
But Herbie sure gave Tony some bitchen proof
"Hey," Herbie said, "Tony, can you fly?"
But Tony couldn't fly . . . Tony died

Repeat chorus

Brian got busted on a narco rap
He beat the rap by rattin' on some bikers
He said, hey, I know it's dangerous,
but it sure beats Riker's
But the next day he got offed
by the very same bikers

Repeat chorus
:bse

:banana :jump :clap

oruoja
08-10-2004, 05:38
Unfortunately there are others out there prone to "Elwood" hikers and relieve them of their belongings. Just be alert and enjoy the fact that the trail is the safest place you can be when it comes to threats posed by your fellow man. I just can't resist to comment on the notion of "innocent until proven guilty" being the American way. In my many years of dealing with lawyers the honest ones will tell you to your face it's all about "how much justice can you afford." After witnessing the rampant B.S. that the legal system swirls around in I can only wish for anyone to be fortunate enough in life to never need to pay for a lawyer. Hope I have not upset any practicing lawyers or any budding Perry Masons preparing to enter the field to make a difference. Believe it or not, twenty to twenty-five years ago I was not anywhere so cynical, and for those that may be wondering my lawyer experience was not from the perspective of a defendant. What does all of this have to to with hiking? The more B.S. you witness and it's cumulative effect over years only intensifies the desire to hike and makes every outing more enjoyable.

comotion
08-10-2004, 11:50
Ugh, I met this guy last year just outside of Damascus. He told me the same story as he told Rumbler. He also told me that his tent had been stolen by a section hiker named Lone Wolf at Trail Days so he was stuck shelter hopping. I didnt' see him for a day or so as I hiked ahead but then got sick and he caught up to me. I saw him again going through Grayson Highlands in the fog-alone. Quite honestly he made me a bit nervous so I picked up my pace, thought seriously about the self defense course that I took a few years ago and hiked away (tough since I was really sick). Now, I read in these posts that he is occassionally using my name!!! It frightens me to think that perhaps I made enough of an impression on him for him to steal my trail name and that of Skid Mark!-too bad he can't come up with his own creative names!

After hiking away from him in Grayson Highlands I didn't hear much about him until I got into DWG where the police where looking for him and the hostel there was hoping for a photo to post. I think they were able to get one.
Now, if they could just catch him and keep him in custody..that would be great. Elwood definately tries to play on sympathy from anyone-it really saddens me that people need to do that for whatever reason. I think that after he is caught, tried, convicted and thrown in jail...he should have to pay for psychological counseling (I don't want tax payer money going to this) to figure out his brain so that no one else has to deal with his lies and thieving.

-Constant Motion (the real Constant Motion!)

Chappy
08-10-2004, 13:07
[QUOTE=comotion]He also told me that his tent had been stolen by a section hiker named Lone Wolf at Trail Days so he was stuck shelter hopping.QUOTE]

Sounds like Lone Wolf made an impression on him, too.

Lone Wolf
08-10-2004, 13:14
I'm a lot of things but thief ain't one of them. God help him if he crosses my path.

comotion
08-10-2004, 13:31
i didn't believe the Lone Wolf story..about either of the Lone Wolf's that I met on the trail last year (one section hiker, one thru hiker). Elwood probably just remembered the name..who knows what that guy is thinking.

Constant Motion

Dances with Mice
08-10-2004, 14:49
So what does Elwood steal besides Trail Names?

Cash? Food, fuel? Tent, bag, pack? Clothes? Batteries? Cameras/radios? What?

Two Speed
08-10-2004, 17:22
Does anyone know for sure that this guy's real name is Elwood?

jlb2012
08-10-2004, 17:50
From the first post in this thread - his real name is Steven Bundy.

steve hiker
08-10-2004, 22:09
So what does Elwood steal besides Trail Names?

Cash? Food, fuel? Tent, bag, pack? Clothes? Batteries? Cameras/radios? What?I bet he steals gurlfriends thats why L. Woof is so mad at him. :banana

hiker dude
08-11-2004, 10:46
So what are you saying here? You left your gear in charge with a some low life hobo with shabby cloths, smelly, scum, teeth in exchange for some free liquor bla bla bla and you can't tell the difference? Didn't you see the movie Deliverance? Bin Ladin looks like a backpacker to. Now see, maybe he's hiding right under our noise as a hiker to, now I think about how gullible everyone is. I'm almost sure the CIA can find Bin Ladins hiking on the A-T in shorts, or so he says he's hiking.

Can I leave all my old gear off at that shelter or will it mess up the Blair Witch hunt, Blair?

Move on, you got punked, don't try to create the pefect world. They seem to know to stay away from me like Merlin for some reason, so I can't use my magic anymore.:)

Two Speed
08-11-2004, 17:33

Doh! :datz

Dudeboard
08-11-2004, 18:24
Ted Bundy his brother?

TakeABreak
08-20-2004, 17:08
This entire read interesting, This is the first I have heard of this, but am not amazed at what he is doing. Personally, I would do as a few others mentioned if I caught him going thru my **** or stuff came up missing after he was around and it could not have been any else. I would save myself and others a lot of grief, and give some relief to my fellow tax payers.

Stagger Lee
08-22-2004, 10:16
Encountered alleged AT section hiker as my wife and I were leaving Kimberly's Restaurant on US 11 near Dickinson College. He was around late 40s early 50s in age and looking for someplace for a "couple of cold Budweisers." He said he was heading south. Had old kanvas pack and hand-carried bedroll. Said he had no trailname. Reminded me of Humphrey Bogart character in Treasure of Sierra Madre. Even if it is not Elwood, I had negative vibes about him. He had an American flag hanging from back of his pack. Sorry if I just bad-mouthed an OK hiker, but take it for what it's worth. He was friendly enough (just like Elwood?).

bearbait2k4
08-22-2004, 12:55
I am really confused as to how warning people about a con artist on the trail can be perceived as a witch hunt.

If information about characters, such as this guy, is verified to be true and posted to warn others, then I can see nothing but good coming from it. Especially in a community where you usually can and will trust almost everyone you run across enough to turn your back on your portable home in their presence. I’m all for any effort to remove persons like this from the trail, instead of having the trail turn into a community where you can’t feel that you can trust the next hiker you come across.

I don’t think anyone is trying to create the perfect world here, just trying to preserve the imperfect one that already exists.

BonzNRio
08-23-2004, 08:02
I was really hoping to find a post(s) saying that the s.o.b. had been caught.While in Harpers Ferry he was going by another name.The day after he was walking up the steps from the train station & the owner of the outfitters called him by Elwood & he turned,waved,smiled then crapped on hisself.

Mountain Dew
08-24-2004, 05:22
Chore Boy aka owner of Outfitters at Harpers Ferry, Called Elwood by his "real" trail name after seeing him from the balcony ? That's totally hilarious. I think I would have chimed in with... " Hey Elwood, can I get you anything besides somebody elses gear ?" :banana

hiker dude
08-24-2004, 10:16
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Thats what makes me sick, ok?

Those who judge shall be judged themselfs also, be carefull, its not over yet.

So Ok you told everyone. Great. Is that all your doing? Don't stop on my account.:sun From beyond the sun.

Lone Wolf
08-24-2004, 10:19
*** kinda jibberish is that? :-?

Furlough
08-24-2004, 10:34
Maybe Elwood jibberish.:-?

steve hiker
08-24-2004, 18:04
Maybe foolish christian jibberish. Where's eyehiker?

Elwood's probably a fundamentalist christian, helping himself literally to "a pack for a pack, a wallet for a wallet."

Lone Wolf
08-24-2004, 19:27
Yeah that whole "god will provide" BS.

SGT Rock
08-24-2004, 20:03
When I was in Erwin there were hikers warning me about another guy on the trail (not Elwood) that was like this. Had a story about owning all his own hiking gear but God told him to leave it all and just start walking north. That God told him he would be provied for. The warnings were that the guy was the worlds biggest moocher on everything including gear, money, food, etc. Well I guss that covers everything you could possibly mooch...

Anyway, I haven't been used to seeing this sort of thing, are there a lot of folks that go around expecting others to provide eveything for them to hike these days?

Lone Wolf
08-24-2004, 20:07
Yup. Just like welfare. Gimme, gimme, gimme.

eyahiker
08-24-2004, 21:29

Elwood's probably a fundamentalist christian, helping himself literally to "a pack for a pack, a wallet for a wallet."Why are you discriminating and singling out any religion and making fun of it?
Non-tolerance folks.

Oh YAWN.

The only typical behavior here is by thou own liberal, answer to no-one individual like you who must always resort to to slamming someone's beliefs, and stereotyping every chance you get.

Foolish hypocrite.

AKA RIGHTwingfoot.

weary
08-24-2004, 21:59
Well, I never met Elwood or anyone like him in '93, or before or since. But there are folks out there that use the trail as a way to live.

At the last shelter in Shenendoah a guy showed up with a dog, claiming to have come south from Katahdin. He looked suspicious to me. He was too white. He wasn't fat, but he lacked that lean look I had come to expect of thru hikers.

So, I asked him some questions, like "how was Katahdin when you left on April 1."

"No problem," he said. There had been a spring thaw and I drove right into Katahdin Stream.

Well, I live 100 miles south and a thousand feet lower in elevation than Katahdin Stream. When I left Maine on April 10, there was five feet of snow at the base of my driveway, left by an April 1 storm.

From this and other questions it became clear to me that the guy was just gathering trail names in hopes of being able to convince Rusty to let him spend the rest of the summer mooching at Rusty's hostel.

When the guy left for a minute or two, I told my conclusion to the seven other long distance hikers in the shelter. No one believed a word of my speculation.(?) He had told persusive stories. He knew the trail lingo and that was enough.

Well, I know for a fact. He didn't climb Katahdin on April 1 in '93. He never drove to Katahdin Stream on April 1 -- not that year or any other year. How much else he lied about, I can only speculate.

My message is simple. Most hikers are honest. A few are not. A lot are gullible to anyone who tells a good story.

Weary

Mountain Dew
08-25-2004, 03:44
Eyahiker... :clap

Hey Merlin..... I'll make sure to let Elwood know that you wont judge him if he steals your things. Maybe he will share a shelter with you someday and you can inform him that "what's mine is yours". :sun

Chappy
08-25-2004, 10:29

Elwood's probably a fundamentalist christian, helping himself literally to "a pack for a pack, a wallet for a wallet."

UGH: More foolish ranting from a social misfit. Crawl back under your rock.

eyahiker
08-25-2004, 12:50
My message is simple. Most hikers are honest. A few are not. A lot are gullible to anyone who tells a good story.

Weary
:clap Weary sums it all up. Way to go!

Elwood is sad. Keep your eye on your stuff, probably a good idea all around.;)

Chip
09-09-2004, 17:55
Talked with the Ridgerunner from the Smokies, Elwood is using the name "Slim"
nowdays.

Keep an eye on your gear. ;)

TakeABreak
10-22-2004, 07:21
http://www.trailjournals.com/picview.cfm?sort=photo%2Eid&from=journalid&with=1389&id=31840Anyone heard anything about this guy lately, is he still out there or is he holding

Rocks 'n Roots
11-06-2004, 04:09
Can't they just get him banned from the Trail? Seems like they have enough on him already to claim menacing - or at least criminal intent...

Find out where he is, send a ranger and tell him he's served with a court order restricting him from the Appalachian Trail. The man is obviously a con-artist and petty thief. He has no mitigating circumstances. Send the rangers and tell him he'll be locked up if he shows his face on the AT. - That's all...

Flash Hand
11-06-2004, 10:29
Can't they just get him banned from the Trail? Seems like they have enough on him already to claim menacing - or at least criminal intent...

Find out where he is, send a ranger and tell him he's served with a court order restricting him from the Appalachian Trail. The man is obviously a con-artist and petty thief. He has no mitigating circumstances. Send the rangers and tell him he'll be locked up if he shows his face on the AT. - That's all...

NO worries.. we already know about it. ;)

Flash Hand :jump

bluebird
11-07-2004, 22:16
Is this the same guy who hung out in shelters, south of Smokies, and mooched off of anyone that passed? He was tall, pepper gray, thin, bearded (oops this sounds like 75% of male thru hikers), and had real old gear? If so, then he also had a drug deal thing going... you'd see locals come hike to his 'shelter' from time to time to exchange pot for food.

Dancin Free
11-12-2004, 17:35
All the info that has been posted here about this guy should be posted in every shelter register and every hostel and campground GA-ME. Since this guy seems to travel on the trail I'm sure he reads the registers. Maybe it will scare him off or if he doesn't read the registers then everyone would be that much the wiser. It's important for hikers to read the registers just for these reasons.

U-BOLT
11-12-2004, 18:46
Since this guy seems to travel on the trail I'm sure he reads the registers.
i dunt theenk he nos how to reed

Blue Sky II
06-10-2005, 06:43
Elwood's picture is in the photo section of White Blaze.....select "Faces", then select "Trail Legends." Excellent picture!

TOW
06-10-2005, 07:32
is he around this year?

Blue Sky II
06-10-2005, 12:18
is he around this year?Hope not, for other hikers. He preys on the kindness of the trail community.

Bolivershagnasty
06-11-2005, 10:57
Well get the word out definitly to everyone. If you see this thief call him out and embarass him all you can. I can't believe the person that saw him partying at Trail Dayz didn't call him out right in front of as many people as you could. Call him by his real name "bundy" as in the serial killer and if you see him in town tell an officer because I gaurente this guy has missed a court apperance or two and has bench warrants out on him. Plus as soon as he know's alot of people know him, reconize him and call him out he'll leave the At and go back to the intersection holding the "will work for food sign".

Debbie
07-03-2005, 11:13
This may be the same guy I ran into at Lost Mountain Shelter near Damascus in Oct. 2003. He was going by the name "Injun" at that time. Said he was from Kentucky and on medical leave from the military. Had an obsession with trapping shelter mice and carried traps. He has dark/graying hair, dark eyes, and is very "hyper". I also was told he left a campfire burning at Lost Mountain when he left that morning. He was wearing black jeans, black army tank top, knee pads and raindear bells strapped around his knees "to keep bears away". Friendly but very strange. Also talked about the military complaining that he was "too violent". Be careful.

MedicineMan
07-04-2005, 05:48
in college we had a housemante that ran up the phone bill to like $500 and wouldnt pay up. we lost the phone, housemate wouldnt leave...
we took gentian violet and put in into empty gelatin capsules...gential violet stains skin very dark purple and wont wash off....every one in the house except the looser knew when not to take a shower in the morning, we had placed the gentian violet filled capsules in the shower head....the water got hot and our friend suddenly had a head/face died purple.....
So if you know Elwood is going to be in a certain area he is certain to look into a packed left JUST for him....who knows what could be in the pack, anything from a rattlesnake to indiglo blue (another cool dye) ....ok the rattlesnake could be rubber if a real snake is too extreme for the politically correct here but you get the idea...........of course the offending hands could be removed too

Youngblood
07-04-2005, 08:41
MM, that may be a good thought and is humorous to think about, but it is a bad idea as one would be more likely to injury innocent folks. First of all lots of folks probably think they see Elwood when they really don't. Second, you can't be sure who is going to look into a package that you leave behind... even if you put "for Elwood" on it.

When Mowgli (aka Little Bear) and I ran into him last year in the Smokies, I wasn't really sure it was him until we got off the trail, read where he had recently been seen and looked at a posted photo of him. At the shelter he was just full of BS on his facts about his long distance hiking, as they were obviously impossible to those of us that were aware of the trails he was bragging about. He wasn't noising around anyone's gear that I saw and in fact was helping out other campers by letting them use his Zip stove to cook their diner (their pressurized stove had went up in flames a day or two earlier). Once I thought it was him I discretely warned at least one member of every group to keep an eye on him and not leave their equipment alone with him because he might be a thieve. Mowgli decided to see if he would let him take his photo and he did. I think we handled it the right way, if we had run into any park service personel we would have mentioned what we thought to him and Mowgli did just that we he got home and got a chance to. My point to all this is: what if we were wrong and it wasn't Elwood, maybe it was just one of you, would you have a problem in how we treated you?

Youngblood

Dances with Mice
07-04-2005, 10:14
Isn't this all old news?

Didn't 'Elwood' change his handle to 'Saved', stole one last car (...just one more for the road?...), slithered off to south Georgia where he hooked up with an unsuspecting rural family, and got nabbed when he tried to renew his driver's license? The family he befriended even came onto Trail Place to defend him. Or was that yet another trail thief?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-6067.html , then scroll down. I think Neem posted:

A 33-year-old Rhode Island man who reportedly used the Trail name “Saved” last year has been arrested in rural Georgia on fugitive warrants from Virginia as a suspect in a series of residential break-ins and car thefts off the A.T. in Wintergreen, National Park Service (NPS) rangers reported today. Procedures were being instituted to extradite David Lescoe from Middle, Ga., to Wintergreen. Federal law-enforcement agents, with many hikers and Trail-town members calling in leads, had been looking for him on and near the Trail since last September after two break-ins (including one at the home of an ATC member) were reported and a stolen automobile was recovered at the A.T. parking area along the James River. “Although serious crime is a rare occurrence on the Trail, it's nice to know that, when a situation like this develops, the Trail community will join forces with the law-enforcement community to resolve it,” NPS A.T. Ranger Todd Remaley said, asking that anyone with information on any thefts on the Trail between June and October and between New York and Georgia call him at (717) 258-5771.
January 26, 2005

(from the ATC website)

Debbie
07-05-2005, 10:06
I found a picture someone posted of Elwood, Saved, etc.- if accurate, this is not the same guy I encountered at Lost Mountain Shelter.

Miss Janet
07-06-2005, 12:47
Elwood and Saved are not the same people. I wish we only had ONE person EVER out on the trail causing any grief. Then he could be dealt with and we could all stop the worrying.

The Solemates
07-06-2005, 14:11
Elwood and Saved are not the same people. I wish we only had ONE person EVER out on the trail causing any grief. Then he could be dealt with and we could all stop the worrying.

I didnt think so. and I think Saved was milling around SOBO of trail days this year.

SGT Rock
07-06-2005, 18:18
I thought saved was in jail for around 20 years.

TOW
07-06-2005, 20:42
i just got a report that he was in harpers ferry last month....i mean elwood....

neo
07-06-2005, 20:48
i would love to meet these two as--oles,it would be a pleasure,i hate thieves and liars with a passion:cool: neo

Debbie
07-06-2005, 21:10

Yes, that would be nice, but I must say with all the hiking I've done problem people have been rare. Where else on earth would I be unafraid to go to sleep with a bunch of people I've never seen before?

I got the idea Elwood and Saved were the same from a previous post by Dances with Mice. She thought Elwood changed his name to Saved. I really don't know-it appears the character I met is yet another one. Hopefully he's harmless, but he did set off my internal red flags.

Youngblood
07-06-2005, 21:25
...from a previous post by Dances with Mice. She thought ...She? Nope DWM is a he.

Dances with Mice
07-06-2005, 21:34
She? Nope DWM is a he.And the biggest clue of that is that I was wrong.

rocket04
07-06-2005, 23:22
I found a picture someone posted of Elwood, Saved, etc.- if accurate, this is not the same guy I encountered at Lost Mountain Shelter. I think I also met the guy you're referring to on my thru-hike in 2004, in the first shelter in the Shenandoah. At least your description seems exactly the same. He was a pretty nice guy, entertained us with some jokes. And he was keeping count of how many mice he'd killed!

Miss Janet
07-07-2005, 10:49
"I think Saved was milling around SOBO of trail days this year.[/QUOTE]

No, you didn't see Saved... David Lescoe is in jail. Maybe you are still confusing him with Elwood.... who has gone by Double A and Constant Motion. I haven't heard of him being around at all.

Debbie
07-08-2005, 09:28
I think I also met the guy you're referring to on my thru-hike in 2004, in the first shelter in the Shenandoah. At least your description seems exactly the same. He was a pretty nice guy, entertained us with some jokes. And he was keeping count of how many mice he'd killed!
Sounds like him. He said he had pictures of the mice he'd killed and planned to make a collage when he got home, with his picture in the middle and two traps at each corner. I'd love to see that(I think).

OldDawg
09-28-2015, 09:00
all of the links to Steve-o/elwoods picture are no longer working. After reading Awol's book I'm curious to see what this guys looks like. Does anyone have a picture they can send me?
Thanks
OldDawg

Sheriff Cougar
09-28-2015, 09:30
SGT. Rock, there are a slew of people on crowdfunding websites asking for money to fund their hikes on the AT, PCT, etc. and around the world. Guess working for the money to pay for your own hike doesn't appeal to those folks.

Woodturner
09-29-2015, 09:10
This has been an interesting thread.
On a 1978 section hike from Springer to Wesser, I encountered a guy who was passing himself off as a Ranger/Ridge Runner. I don't think they even HAD ridge runners in Georgia back then. Anyway, he called himself Mack, and helped more than a few people put in some long miles early on to get away from him. When I read David Brill's As Far As the Eye Can See, he described someone who had to be the same guy. I think Brill's hike was 1990 - 12 years later.
I don't think it's possible that the subject of this thread can be the same person - he would have to be late fifties early sixties. It looks like at least two individuals have at least made an attempt to make a partial living by scamming through hikers.

Starchild
09-29-2015, 14:51
SGT. Rock, there are a slew of people on crowdfunding websites asking for money to fund their hikes on the AT, PCT, etc. and around the world. Guess working for the money to pay for your own hike doesn't appeal to those folks.

This thread is about some guy stealing from others, quite different from people asking for support and help and only accepting from those who wish to give freely from their hearts. While you may not agree with helping others achieve a life goal, at least I hope you can see the difference, and at the very least these people asking instead of taking is giving you the option of if you want to participate which you are free to decline.

TNhiker
09-29-2015, 15:30
This thread is about some guy stealing from others,

and its a thread that's been brought up from the grave.....................a thread that's started eleven years ago...............

Morph Ghost
09-29-2015, 17:08
Dang this thread is old. I thought it was recent. He's been encountered as I've read AWOL's account in his book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk