PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Salt Pond Rd. in VA (USFS 191)

pkinnetz
08-28-2009, 12:10
I'm trying to figure out the best ending point for a short weekend hike in Va. (just north of Daleville & Trouville, VA) The best option that would work with our plans is to get off at Salt Pond Rd. (USFS 191). Is there decent parking here, and is it safe?

Another alternative might be Va 652, or even at the Norfolk & Western Railway, US11 in Troutville. Which has the best parking places, and are they easily accessible and easy to find?

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions for shuttlers?

Thanks in advance,
Mama Llama

Blissful
08-28-2009, 15:03
I would just park at the shopping area in Daleville, in front of the outfitter and register your vehicle with them. They also shuttle.

Trail Bug
08-29-2009, 08:20
I have used Maurice Turner several times and he has always arrived on time and charges a fair price. He also does trail maintenance in the area. He can be reached at 540-334-2128. I have also seen several hikers park at US11 which is right next to the trail. I understand you can also park at the cleaners in Daleville where the trail crosses the road. That is where Maurice picks up a lot of hikers.
I'm trying to figure out the best ending point for a short weekend hike in Va. (just north of Daleville & Trouville, VA) The best option that would work with our plans is to get off at Salt Pond Rd. (USFS 191). Is there decent parking here, and is it safe?

Another alternative might be Va 652, or even at the Norfolk & Western Railway, US11 in Troutville. Which has the best parking places, and are they easily accessible and easy to find?

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions for shuttlers?

Thanks in advance,
Mama Llama