PDA

View Full Version : Another "hiking alone" post

Shutterbug
08-28-2009, 12:11
Once again, authorities have used an incident that didn't involve anyone hiking alone to discourage people from being alone. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/northernarizona/sedona/story/4-lost-hikers-in-N-Arizona-rescued-by-cell-phone/pRubcY_GpECRU-Q4ZwTOrA.cspx

The story is about four young hikers who got lost because their only light source was a cell phone. After telling about the rescue the article goes on to list a bunch of "tips." The first one is "Avoid hiking alone." Nothing in the story has anything to do with hiking alone.

Hiking alone is certainly not as dangerous as hiking with a whole bunch of other idiots who are not prepared.

Homer&Marje
08-28-2009, 12:22
200 yds from the trailhead...that's not lost.

jersey joe
08-28-2009, 12:42
The article says it is a list they provide Arizona hikers. I believe strongly that hiking alone increases the number of things that can go wrong while hiking. There is merit in the ole' buddy system!

Jonnycat
08-28-2009, 13:20
From a SAR perspective, I think it is solid advice to discourage people from going alone. The common socially dependent human needs advice like this.

For those few who are able to think for themselves outside of the herd mentality, they likely have enough intelligence to know their limitations, and develop their own systems to keep themselves as safe as is reasonable for a solo venturer.

sheepdog
08-28-2009, 14:40
I'm never alone.

I still have the

voices

ahhhhhh haha hahahahaha

Rain Man
08-28-2009, 14:44
Hiking alone is certainly not as dangerous as hiking with a whole bunch of other idiots who are not prepared.

You might be onto sumthin'! As in, I agree!

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
08-28-2009, 17:12
It may be preferable to have a (compatible and well-prepared) hiking companion but like so many aspects of hiking, it depends on the situation. If those who draft such guidelines are contemplating true "wilderness" treks where the hiker(s) are in a remote area several days from the nearest road or other sign of civilization, the risks are higher than, say, starting a hike on the AT at Springer Mountain "alone" on March 1.

I wouldn't let lack of a companion constitute the sole reason for cancelling a trip for most treks in the Continental US.

dloome
08-28-2009, 20:24
It's always irked me that on many NPS permits, etc. it often mentions something to the effect of "hike with others to avoid becoming disoriented." I don't know about others, but when I hike by myself, I'm much less distracted from navigation and check my maps more frequently. My thought processes definitely operate on a different level, and I am far more aware of risk and consequences than I am when hiking with other people.

A group setting can do absolutely terrible things for your judgment. In any case, I don't think there's any substitute- other people included- for personal responsibility and self-knowledge, though it's easy to behave differently. I've always been amused by hikers in the desert having the

"How much water are you gonna carry?"

"Why, how much are water YOU gonna carry" conversation at a water source preceding a long dry stretch.

I think it ultimately depends on the activity and the particular persons involved. In certain settings, for certain people, an appropriate partner or group may be "safer". In others, quite the opposite. If there's anything almost universally true about people in general, it's that we all behave differently in different circumstances- We should just hope that people try to be conscious of themselves and smart enough to make that call.

YoungMoose
08-28-2009, 21:30
I'm never alone.

I still have the

voices

ahhhhhh haha hahahahahahehe i like that response. I like to hike by myself and when i hike im usually carrying a turned off cell phone just incase. And if there is a problem im usually able to get a signal by where i live

Blissful
08-28-2009, 21:33
There's a song too from way back when - "You'll Never Walk Alone."
Like from the musical Carousel or something. (?)

:)

Colter
08-28-2009, 22:18
...Hiking alone is certainly not as dangerous as hiking with a whole bunch of other idiots who are not prepared.

Now that's funny. And accurate.