PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Hostels in the Smokies?

sweetpeastu
08-28-2009, 14:46
Does anyone know of any hiker hostels in the Smokey Mtns -- specifically around Gatlinburg, for those not wanting to stay at a creepy hotel (or alternatively, for those who are poor, and can't afford a nicer hotel?) I looked at a list of hostels along the trail and didn't see any in the area.

sweetpeastu
08-28-2009, 14:50
it doesn't have to be Gatlinburg, it could be Townsend or maybe Franklin or anywhere nearby? I don't know the area...maybe a campsite would be in order...

John B
08-28-2009, 15:09
Standing Bear Hostel, north end of the Smokies. A great hostel.

Cool AT Breeze
08-28-2009, 15:12
Grand Prix in Gatlinburg is hiker friendly and not too expensive.

sweetpeastu
08-28-2009, 15:29
Thanks for the info! I got a camping spot at Smokemont! YAY. I'd rather sleep outside anyway.

SOooo when was the last time you were at the Grand Prix? I've heard its gone downhill in a major way....

sweetpeastu
08-28-2009, 15:43
on another topic...has anyone had trouble with vandalism recently at Newfound Gap?

Bearpaw
08-28-2009, 18:29
Thanks for the info! I got a camping spot at Smokemont! YAY. I'd rather sleep outside anyway.

SOooo when was the last time you were at the Grand Prix? I've heard its gone downhill in a major way....

I was at the Grand Prix last month, and it was decent for any regular motel and excellent for a hiker-friendly motel.

Cool AT Breeze
08-28-2009, 18:37

It's never been never been over the top. It has everything a hiker needs,it's cheep it's friendly. What more do you want.

generoll
08-28-2009, 20:11
is the Happy Hiker still in Gatlinburg? Didn't they have a hostel?

Ewker
08-28-2009, 20:55
on another topic...has anyone had trouble with vandalism recently at Newfound Gap?

stop worrying to much and go :D

Tripod
08-28-2009, 22:04
Have left my vehicle there 3 times in the past couple of years. No problems. Twice I left my Yamaha TW200 overnight. No problem. I have been told that the parking lot is patrolled by the N.C. rangers. Good Luck!

Elder
08-28-2009, 22:19
is the Happy Hiker still in Gatlinburg? Didn't they have a hostel?
They are there, but no longer have the Hostel. :(
The Grand Prix is just up the hill...and OK/:-? cheap.

curtisvowen
08-29-2009, 07:00
6 cars were broken into about 1 month ago at Newfound Gap.

dreamsoftrails
08-29-2009, 11:37

i was there this past spring. was it easy on the eyes? not really, there is a rundown pool in the middle of the plaza. Did i have a hot shower, clean sheeets, cable, and acess to a city of excess for 40 dollars? (well about 15, when shared three ways) most certainly!

Midway Sam
08-29-2009, 11:43
Met a guy on the trail in Red River Gorge last weekend who had his car broken into at Newfound Gap the weekend before.

Jeff
08-29-2009, 12:28
Best results when section hiking. Drive a beater to the trailhead and leave unlocked. Wait a minute....is Cash for Clunkers over???

sweetpeastu
08-31-2009, 11:03
LOL....I had a crap car, but got rid of it b/c I was afraid it would break down on the way to the mtn. lol. We're taking my boyfriends truck...but I'd sure feel bad if anything happened to it b/c I wanted to go section hiking....I'll tell him to clean the thing out before we go. That way people can see that we don't have anything.

...Either that or maybe we should fill it with trash and dirty baby diapers? The smell alone....NM.

birdog
08-31-2009, 11:38
As far as the vandalism thing is concerned, yes, I've had some VERY negative experiences at Newfound Gap as well as other parking areas. Once, on a three day trip to Mt. Guyot and back I came back to NFG parking area to find my Honda Accord sideways in the parking spot I left it. It had been hit broadside by another vehicle of some sort. It was hit hard enough to cave in both passenger side doors and physically move it ten feet. Other experiences have been break-ins and theft along with the outright grand theft auto deal. I have since bought a clunker to drive to the Smoky's where I do most of my hiking in hopes that even a total loss wont be missed. I know the park service is under-funded and under-staffed and they work very hard but this issue needs to be addressed asap.
:mad:

dreamsoftrails
08-31-2009, 15:26
only time i parked at newfound gap was when a winter weather advisory was setting in and i made it up there just before they closed the road.

No problems with vandalism, and a great hike.

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2009, 15:41
I understand that some folks might prefer camping out (like at a Campground), but the simple fact is that in many cases, especially when one is hiking with a friend or friends, it sometimes costs the same OR LESS to get a motel room that one would to stay at a paid campground or hiker hostel.

Sleeping outside in a tent is fine, but I do plenty of that on the Trail. Every now and again, I like getting a real room. Advantages:

*You get a warm, dry, safe, heated (or air-conditioned) place to sleep.
*The place is clean. Lots of campground bathrooms/showers are pretty rude.
*TV/Cable of your own.
*The chance to get you and all your stuff dry and clean, which is not always
possible at a Campground.
*Phone in the room.
*Breakfast on-site is frequently included at a motel.
*Motels often include internet access; pools; spas, and these facilities are
usually better and cleaner than those found at campgrounds.
*Proximity to restaurants, markets, outfitters, Post Offices, etc.
*Privacy and quiet. Sooner or later you wanna get away from other hikers.

In short, while the perception is that staying at a motel is an expensive way to go, this isn't always the case. There are plenty of places on the Trail where hikers will spend 20 or more dollars for a tent site or bunkroom with privileges/a la carte services, but for the same ammount of money or slightly more, they can get their own place or share a room with a friend.

There are some very nice Campgrounds near the Trail, and a few wonderful hostels. But your own room is sometimes the best way to go.

dr.rock
08-31-2009, 18:06
There is no showers in all of GSM campgrounds.