PDA

View Full Version : G O T M I L K ?

XCskiNYC
08-28-2009, 15:50
Seriously, do you have milk, in your pack?

There's one thread on almond milk, but I am more curious about regular old milk since coffee and breakfast cereal (Spoon Size Shredded Wheat) are two big staples of my hiking diet.

Right now my packing list includes the half-pint box milks but they are terribly heavy, about 10.5 ounces each.

Sugar is an option for coffee. It doesn't cool it down at all, but it does cut the bitterness enough. But cereal would still be a challenge.

max patch
08-28-2009, 15:59
I had carnation instant milk with my cereal 6 days a week on my thru. You'll get used to the taste soon enough.

Some people rave about Nido. It may taste better, but it has too much saturated (bad) fat for anyone to use safely.

The Weasel
08-28-2009, 16:02
Carnation Instant Milk is the highest quality, excellent for mixing into foods that call for milk, and passable for cereal. I usually carry about 8 oz.

TW

Doughnut
08-28-2009, 18:47
Freeze dried powder milk and sugar, mix in a baggie, drink with cold water, put on oatmeal, etc...

Wise Old Owl
08-28-2009, 18:49
Go back and search on NIDO and pick it up at Walmart Super store

Jonnycat
08-28-2009, 19:00
1T Nido + 1/3 pouch nonfat milk powder makes 8oz of 0.8% milk

R.I.P. Milkman :(

mudhead
08-29-2009, 06:30
Sometime for giggles, try those mini hay bales dry. tasty.

Feral Bill
08-29-2009, 12:56
Any sources for Nido (or other whole dry milk) in packets, rather than a pound or so can? That would be much handier.

My cholesterol= 139. Bring on the lipids!

Midway Sam
08-29-2009, 13:00
Any sources for Nido (or other whole dry milk) in packets, rather than a pound or so can? That would be much handier.

My cholesterol= 139. Bring on the lipids!

I just take a ziploc with some in it. Cans are cheaper than individual packaging and there is less trash to put in a landfill somewhere.

Jonnycat
08-29-2009, 13:24

Aye, that is a much needed solution. I haven't come across any, but I was thinking of emailing Nestle with that as a request (fat chance, I know).

Another idea I am considering is to repackage some of it in some type of thermal sealed bag. The trick would be to get rid of the oxygen, so maybe backfilling with argon/CO2 and/or using an O2 scavenger (http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/search.aspx?find=oxygen) would be the ticket.

My only experience with backfilling was with a commercial vacuum sealing machine ($$$), and I don't know if any consumer grade appliances have such a feature, so the only practical solution may be using the O2 scavengers.

summitnh
08-29-2009, 13:56
http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7267
sells small single serve packages.
I have used both this one and carnation and
I like these better than the Carnation.

veteran
08-29-2009, 15:22

Foodlion Stores sell it.

Midway Sam
08-29-2009, 15:23
Am I the only one who keeps thinking this thread title is "goat milk"?

Blue Jay
08-29-2009, 15:43
As far as I'm concerned there is only one option for milk and that's full fat dehydrated milk, low fat sucks. Adventure Foods has the best that I've tried and I always carry it. It enhances flavor to many dehydrated meals.

CampGirl
08-29-2009, 18:15
I like Nature's First (http://www.packitgourmet.com/Natures-First-Full-Cream-Milk-Powder-p159.html)whole milk powder. Best I've tried so far.

XCskiNYC
09-02-2009, 22:57
Wow. I did not know that there were so many options for powdered milk. The fat ones definitely sound tastier:sun

I'm gonna change things up a little on my upcoming hike, going with instant oatmeal for breakfast and having my coffee black, like my women.

This whole milk thing is apparently going to require some intensive study and taste-testing before an optimal trail product is chosen.

Jonnycat
09-03-2009, 18:33

Speaking of goat milk, I used to drink the stuff in this picture, but I went away from it because of the cost.

Really tasty, though, and now that I am using a small amount of Nido in my nonfat milk powder, I think I might try going back to it for "re-fattening up" my nonfat powder.

http://i29.tinypic.com/34hw83l.gif

Ol Mole
09-04-2009, 05:26
http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7267
sells small single serve packages.
I have used both this one and carnation and
I like these better than the Carnation.

I agree....this is what I use.

Two Speed
09-04-2009, 08:28
Seriously, do you have milk, in your pack? . . . Kinda. If is cold enough I'll carry some 1/2 & 1/2.

Farr Away
09-04-2009, 12:32
Kinda. If is cold enough I'll carry some 1/2 & 1/2.

I've successfully carried a couple of the little 1/2 and 1/2 containers on an overnight in the summertime.

(Successfully = didn't curdle and didn't make me sick)

I've also had one leak (into the ziploc it was in), and they can be a bit of a pain, so lately I've just been taking nido.

Chenango
09-04-2009, 12:37
I love carrying fresh milk for my oatmeal, coffee, and mac&cheese, but only in the winter. It is best to keep it at that slushy stage of freezing. If it gets to hard, you can't get it out of the container.

A buddy of mine likes to carry those no-fridge needed coffemate creamer individual packs. Personally I can pass on those.

Two Speed
09-04-2009, 13:18
The "straight" mini-moo's are OK with me. IMHO the flavored ones just ruin a good cup of coffee.

Jester2000
09-04-2009, 13:22
Carnation instant.

If I could figure out how to change cheese back into milk I'd carry it that way.

Feral
09-04-2009, 16:37
"Klim" Whole milk almost tastes like milk although about $9.50 a can. Clever name. Available at Asian grocery stores.

Feral Bill
09-04-2009, 21:37
"Klim" Whole milk almost tastes like milk although about $9.50 a can. Clever name. Available at Asian grocery stores.

I expect that Klim and Nido are identical. Nestle's powdered whole milk. Home blended cocoa powder with Klim makes a winter trip.

XCskiNYC
09-12-2009, 16:11
Kinda. If is cold enough I'll carry some 1/2 & 1/2.

Like the little individual thimble-sizes from a restaurant?

IIRC some places have them with just milk as well.

That'd be a good way to at least keep coffee milked. Or even to put a little topping on oatmeal.

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 23:37
Like the little individual thimble-sizes from a restaurant?

IIRC some places have them with just milk as well.

That'd be a good way to at least keep coffee milked. Or even to put a little topping on oatmeal.

Well you can do that or pick up land of lakes - milk in micro packets at most supermarkets.

or Parmalat.

Jayboflavin04
09-18-2009, 10:32

May need to look in the Mexican food section. DO NOT BUY the kinder milk. It is easy to mix up the cans. They are pretty similar. I have a friend that is PICKY! He likes NIDO.

Pickleodeon
09-30-2009, 10:57
Another vote for Nido, or for cereal I've used the Carnation Instant Breakfast packets- they have more nutrients in them. You can use the vanilla flavor, but I've used the chocolate ones with granola in the morning too. Sometimes I use them with some Nido mixed in.

Spokes
09-30-2009, 12:24

Reminds me of the time the doctor prescribed goats milk to my ex-wife........said it'd make her butt better..........BADA BING!

Egads
09-30-2009, 12:58
I'll have two large milks

The Weasel
09-30-2009, 14:02
Carnation serves a number of purposes, not just mixed in with dry cereal. I pre-mix it with noodles/sauce for creamier dinners and dry instant pudding mixes.

TW