PDA

View Full Version : sugguestion please!

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-24-2004, 18:51
hello everyone, I am currently planning on to be Thru hiker '05 GA to MA. I am going to start around March 1st. I have around 6 months to go for shopping buying a new backpack and equipments. I would like some sugguestions and feedbacks with what brand i should buy with reasonable price? what is the best websites or stores with a reasonable price and good brands? I am really looking forward to this first hiking experience thur AT in 2005. CANT WAIT! hope see you guys on the trail.. happy hiking!:jump

Tater
07-24-2004, 19:03
First suggestion, try fixing the sHifT kEy on your keYbOArD.

SalParadise
07-24-2004, 20:59
search around this forum, there are a lot of good go-cheap suggestions on here. People also post their gear lists, which should help for what to take. Are you looking more for a list of what you should pack, what brands to buy, or both?

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-25-2004, 00:42
more of both..it will be nice to get a list of USEFUL supplies and what kind of brand that are reasonable price... i have researched alot of sites about supplies which are expensive.. i just need a sugguestion where i could get the suppiles cheaper and good quality...and the main thing is..the weigh of backpack shld be up to 40 to 50 lbs for me thats it.. so i gotta be wise with what im getting :)

steve hiker
07-25-2004, 01:26
Sweet Clover=PP=JBL

Pencil Pusher
07-25-2004, 01:31
Both Walmart and the Army/Military surplus stores are great places to get hiking gear on the cheap. If you can, buy used gear. Try to be innovative about using gear, as in maybe you can use stuff you have that you use in different activities and sports. Between 'price' and 'light', one must take precedence over the other, unless you're willing to make your own gear and don't mind sacrificing comfort.

Pencil Pusher
07-25-2004, 01:34
Sweet Clover=PP=JBL
Hey fruitcake, isn't it JLB? Who's this JBL schmoe? Go talk to Alligator, he's thinking the same for two out of those three.

steve hiker
07-25-2004, 01:42
Hey fruitcake, isn't it JLB? Who's this JBL schmoe? Go talk to Alligator, he's thinking the same for two out of those three.
Nailed. ***

Pencil Pusher
07-25-2004, 01:46
So I'm editing this to avoid another post and the ensuing confusion. Y'all can verify this user with Flash Hand. Willk is either smoking ganja, or a wannabe detective.

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-25-2004, 01:49
what the heck you guys talking about? im little lost

steve hiker
07-25-2004, 02:09
SwEeT cLoVeR = Gray (age 13) = PP (age 3) = JLB (still in womb?)

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-25-2004, 03:14
I am Deaf hiker, and i am planning to thru hike the Appalachian trail. English is my SECOND language.

Pencil Pusher
07-25-2004, 05:30
You might want to check with Flash Hand, he's here and on www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) He hiked a good chunk of the AT this year and may have some tips and suggestions. He's on AOL as well.

art to linda
07-25-2004, 13:07
Hey, are you the Sweet Clover I saw on another site who is planning to hike with Flash Hands next spring? If so, he will have some good advice for you on gear. Wal Mart does have some things you can use,check the cooking section for their greese pot ( makes a just right size cook pot) and I found a small spring form pan that can be used as an extra fry pan/plate. Campmor.com and REI are good online places to shop. Also check and see if you have a Sportsmans Outlet store in your area, I have found some great buys there. The 3 things to look for when buying gear are weight, bulk and can it be used for other things. Get your pack, bag and tent or tarp first then remember that everything must fit in or on that pack, keep the weight to 30-35 pounds or less. Your body will thank you later and you will have a more enjoyable hike. Have fun on the trail :)

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-25-2004, 17:22
Yes I will be hiking with Flash Hands, I did learn a lot from him but would like to hear other people's feedbacks as well. I am just learning since this will be my first time hiking on AT trails. I am really looking forward to it. CANT WAIT! :jump

A-Train
07-26-2004, 00:16
I would [put your name on the mailing list of CAMPMOR, if you don't already get their catalogue, which comes out quite frequently. You can also go to campmor.com and search under "hot deals". This is a huge store in New Jersey which IMO, has some very good prices compared to most oufitters. Often throughout the winter and off seasons, there are tremendous deals on gear. Their own line of clothing is very durable and cheap. For instance they have rain jackets, fleeces etc. which are immatation versions of north face and under expensive brands for fractions of the price. I bought a coolmax hiking t-shirt there for 6 bucks which I would see at EMS or another outfitter along the AT for 20-30 bucks.

There is no need to drop a lot of cash OR carry 40-50 lbs. Ask questions on this forum and search the archives, because questions like yours have come up time and time again.

Research and make an alcohol stove. Go to Walmart for a grese pot cook pot. Buy flipflops from the dollar store. Use a garbage bag for a packcover.

Yes, a few items you'll have to spend some money on such as a good sleeping bag (especially with a march start date) and footwear, backpack and tent.

Good luck and fire away

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-26-2004, 02:00
Thanks! :)

scburleson2003
07-26-2004, 04:19
leave this guy alone, flash hands mentioned that he would be hiking with someone from this site!!!

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-26-2004, 18:14
yeah it is me that will be hiking with Flash hands, by the way i am not a guy hehe :)

Frosty
07-26-2004, 23:57
any sugguestion? i am really looking forward to this first hiking experience i will get in 2005.. One thing to try is to not make the AT your first hiking experience (if I read you correctly). Gear suggestions are just that: suggestions.

The reasons there are different makes/styles/shapes/sizes/kinds of gear is that different people do not always get the same results from the same gear.

Consider borrowing somebody's stuff and going on a weekend backpack.

Do a few of those and you will quickly form your own opinion of whether you want an alcohol stove, or Esbitt, or ZZip stove or whatever.

Just a thought

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-27-2004, 00:13
I have done some hiking and camping experience during when I was in high school. Sorry if i am making it confusing for everyone. Its going to be first time for me to go for a long trail as a AT Thru Hiker. I am going with some hikers which we will be sharing/borrowing some supplies to lighten up weigh on our backpack but I prefer to have my own which is why I am asking everyone for thier sugguestions for tents, backpack, shoes, clothes, etc. I have 6 months to plan this out and try get as much feedbacks and researching. I know everyone has thier own preference with brand names, I am not going to be picky about it but I got to learn the mistakes somehow right?

Kozmic Zian
07-27-2004, 11:21
I have done some hiking and camping experience during when I was in high school. Sorry if i am making it confusing for everyone. Its going to be first time for me to go for a long trail as a AT Thru Hiker. I am going with some hikers which we will be sharing/borrowing some supplies to lighten up weigh on our backpack but I prefer to have my own which is why I am asking everyone for thier sugguestions for tents, backpack, shoes, clothes, etc. I have 6 months to plan this out and try get as much feedbacks and researching. I know everyone has thier own preference with brand names, I am not going to be picky about it but I got to learn the mistakes somehow right?Yea......1st Thing you better do is start a little later in the Spring. It can be still bitter cold in Maine in March, lots of Snow, makes it tough to hike. Streams are full of melt water. You might have to ford waist high or higher, dangerous!

Then, try to get a little lighter. You're 'weigh' too heavy at 40-50 lbs. Read these threads and forums. Visit the 'gear' forums. You can see what other experienced hikers are using for gear, how to pack, what to carry, how to buy and use different items, boots, shoes, packs, tents, sleeping bags, and the whole shubangy. Don't buy until you've tried lots of things. Like stated earlier, do alot of day and overniter hikes to figure out what you will, and will not use. Remember, On the AT, only carry what you're going to use every day. The rest can be bought in towns along the way. 1 extra pound over 5, 000, 000 steps gets kinda ..... heavy. So, good learning and adventuring. You're about to embark on a great adventure, so plan accordingly and you'll be able to rest easy and enjoy your hike. KZ@;)

Lilred
07-27-2004, 11:57

Consider borrowing somebody's stuff and going on a weekend backpack.

Do a few of those and you will quickly form your own opinion of whether you want an alcohol stove, or Esbitt, or ZZip stove or whatever.

Just a thought

Call a local outfitters and see if they loan or rent out equipment. Many stores will do this. Once you narrow your choice of tent down to two or three, taking one for a 'test drive' will help make that decision easier.

java
07-27-2004, 12:10
[QUOTE=Kozmic Zian]Yea......1st Thing you better do is start a little later in the Spring. It can be still bitter cold in Maine in March, lots of Snow, makes it tough to hike. Streams are full of melt water. You might have to ford waist high or higher, dangerous!

Not only is it cold and snowy in March, but Katahdin doesn't usually 'open' to hiking until mid-May. If you do climb in it March, you'll need some serious ice-climbing gear, crampons, etc. Contact the park for more info on climbing Katahdin in early spring if you do indeed want to leave that early!
Good luck, if you're hiking with Flashhand you're in good hands, I met him this spring...:sun

Pencil Pusher
07-27-2004, 12:15
I wonder if she meant NOBO? I'm guessing so since that was the direction Flash Hand went this year, as well the striking difference between the two ends in March.

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-27-2004, 22:46
I am starting in GA. I am from Michigan, the cold weather shouldn't bother me at all since Michigan is known for one of those states that have the coldest winter. Besides starting in March with cold weather should give me some experience besides I doubt there isnt much snow in GA than it does in Maine.

Kozmic Zian
07-27-2004, 23:44
I wonder if she meant NOBO? I'm guessing so since that was the direction Flash Hand went this year, as well the striking difference between the two ends in March.
I think she said NOBO, My mistake - disreqard my 1st paragraph in above post. You get the drift? Mid-March excellent, from Springer. 'Cept in the middle of the seasonal 'rush'. Lots o' folks on the Trail.KZ@

Frosty
07-28-2004, 00:11
I am starting in GA. I am from Michigan, the cold weather shouldn't bother me at all since Michigan is known for one of those states that have the coldest winter. Do you stay outside for several days at a time during the Michigan winters?

Not trying to be a punk here, but I'm from NH where we also have cold winters and the cold bothers me when I camp out early in the season. There's a big difference between shivering as you walk to your car in a parking lot, and sleeping outdoors. And making the 3 a.m. pee run.

But others have done it and so can you!

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-28-2004, 00:36
I am a Winter baby, I love to be outside during winter including snowmobile and snowboarding all day long and night. So hiking and sleeping outside should be my other challenge. It might bother me sometimes but patient is virtue. Besides having a right clothes and sleeping bag should not be any problem right? Nah ur not a punk here :)

Pencil Pusher
07-28-2004, 02:07
An option for women to avoid the 3am pee run is to buy a freshette and use a bottle to pee in. It only sounds bad until you're shivering away and then it probably seems like a pretty good idea (a guess, I've never used one). It's basically a feminine contoured funnel that acts as, well, an extension. Pee standing up or kneeling while partially in your sleeping bag. Just make sure to put a big death skull on the water bottle with duct tape, so even while blind you can feel that is not your drinking bottle.

I apologize for grossing anyone out, but this is a reality of expedition climbing that could be incorporated into c-c-c-cold snowy camping on the AT. I've seen women use them (some brazingly since only plastic is exposed) and they swear by them, in those frigid situations.

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-28-2004, 02:22
I can always find other solution. You wont have any 3am pee run if you go before you go bed, simple? Unless you do go pee run very often then I do feel sorry for you

But yes it may sounds gross but it could work. Just don't drink to much before you go bed :)

MadAussieInLondon
07-28-2004, 03:01
its one thing to be from a cold climate and like snow, its another to be sleeping outside in it with nothing than a sleeping bag + tent. when you stop hiking it gets COLD.

if i was going to do my AT04 as an AT05 over again, id
- start mid to late april instead of march 1st like i did this year.
- would start at harpers ferry, go south to springer, go back to HF and go north to katahdin., you skip all the bad snow down south. plus the rhodies will be in full bloom!
- keep my trail runners instead of boots
- get a hammock instead of a tent, or get one of those tarptents.
- ditch the petzl zipka and get a petzl tikka plus
- dont bother with a thermarest unless its a 2foot thick ultra ultra comfy

things id do the same
- stick with my kilt
- stick with hiking poles
- stick with my gregory reality, maybe go smaller than the reality.
- keep my trailrunners
- keep my brasslite solo, or maybe change to one of aarons newer versions.
- stick with my foam mat.

this is an overview, i will write more later if you want.. its dinner time back in australia right now... i will write some offline and post again in the forums..

Flash Hand
07-29-2004, 11:09
SwEeT cLoVeR = Gray (age 13) = PP (age 3) = JLB (still in womb?)

Pencil Pusher is correct, stop smokin haha
Sweet Clover is not JLB or whomever you think so.

Flash Hand :jump

Flash Hand
07-29-2004, 11:17
I think she said NOBO, My mistake - disreqard my 1st paragraph in above post. You get the drift? Mid-March excellent, from Springer. 'Cept in the middle of the seasonal 'rush'. Lots o' folks on the Trail.KZ@

Yeah, she meant NOBO starting March 1st. The snow there or around isn't that bad like the one in Michigan or Maine. She will be doing fine.. all she (Sweet Clover) need to work on pack weight. And, we will have more zero days to enjoy the adventure and giving our legs time to build up.

Flash Hand
07-29-2004, 11:21
An option for women to avoid the 3am pee run is to buy a freshette and use a bottle to pee in. It only sounds bad until you're shivering away and then it probably seems like a pretty good idea (a guess, I've never used one). It's basically a feminine contoured funnel that acts as, well, an extension. Pee standing up or kneeling while partially in your sleeping bag. Just make sure to put a big death skull on the water bottle with duct tape, so even while blind you can feel that is not your drinking bottle.

I apologize for grossing anyone out, but this is a reality of expedition climbing that could be incorporated into c-c-c-cold snowy camping on the AT. I've seen women use them (some brazingly since only plastic is exposed) and they swear by them, in those frigid situations.

Another solution for 3am pee run, just pee in your tent outside the sleeping bag, and by the time you got up at 7am, but right before the sun goes up, the yellow puddle you just spilled, will be frozen just right in time and easy to cast out of tent. Good sno-cone for the bears.

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-29-2004, 22:38
SO you are trying to say that you have done it before and it works? LoL!

MedicineMan
07-29-2004, 23:09
I often loan gear, if you find something out there you like I might have something close you can borrow and experiment with before you buy.
What part of the country are you in?

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-30-2004, 09:29
I often loan gear, if you find something out there you like I might have something close you can borrow and experiment with before you buy.
What part of the country are you in?

I am from Michigan, Thumb area - around two hrs north of detroit.

SwordsEdge
07-30-2004, 10:02
OK first off, hi everyone ><O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>

I have tried and bought several different backpacks. I have tried both internal and external frames. The best packs I have are my external frames. First off the pack is away from your body, which lets the air get between your back, and your pack, which keeps you cooler and not over, heated. Now my current pack id really BIG! I also think it is fairly light and well-balanced if packed right. I have been able to pack enough food for both me and my wife (in a bear container), the tent (3 person), sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and a ton more stuff for a 2 week hike and not have to stop in town to resupply. Now I know that this pack might not agree with everyone but it is definitely worth looking at. It is the one pack you can buy once and have it for the rest of your life and it will still be in good shape to pass down to you grandkids for them to use for a lifetime.<O:p></O:p>

Here is the link to the pack:<O:p></O:p>

http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=3425&d= (http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=3425&d=)

Thanks, Swordsedge - Cutting through the world!

Lilred
07-30-2004, 10:08
OK first off, hi everyone ><O:p></O:p>

[color=black]I have tried and bought several different backpacks. I have tried both internal and external frames. The best packs I have are my external frames. First off the pack is away from your body, which lets the air get between your back, and your pack, which keeps you cooler and not over, heated. Now my current pack id really BIG! I also think it is fairly light and well-balanced if packed right.

Wow, almost nine pounds for a pack!! That's a lot of weight, I don't feel so bad now with my 5 pound Kelty.

JP
07-30-2004, 10:35
Before you buy THINK ! Can you recycle something that will work for what you need. Look through the Salvation Army Store, you never know what you will find. Look at second hand shops and yard sales. Check out Double Play Sports in Lansing,MI or Play it Again in Brighton. They sell used , call first to see if they have what you are looking for. Check with your local Boy or Girl Scout council. Some have an anual yard sale to raise money. Make your own gear. Practice with what you get at home or near by.
When I first started I supplyed myself almost for free. I used a large garbage bag for a rain poncho/ground cloth and a plastic sheet for a tarp tent. Ignore the snobs. Good luck!

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-30-2004, 13:51
Thanks! I'll check it out :)

MedicineMan
07-30-2004, 23:08
I too have several Blackhawk backpacks....we use them at BOBs in each vehicle...you are right in that these packs will last a lifetime, a war, probably a nuclear event....but for my type of AT hiking they have no place, now while cruising down the road and seeing a mushroom cloud far off into the distance they certainly have a place carrying all the necessities of survival....

MedicineMan
07-30-2004, 23:11
that is a nice area,,,we did Sleeping Bear Dunes not too long ago-an incredible area....just got a GVP-4 back if you want to use it, oldest daughter was using it but now she's using the Golite Speed with good results.

SwordsEdge
08-02-2004, 10:48
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 53125" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>MedicineMan</TD><TD class=alt2>I too have several Blackhawk backpacks....we use them at BOBs in each vehicle...you are right in that these packs will last a lifetime, a war, probably a nuclear event....but for my type of AT hiking they have no place, now while cruising down the road and seeing a mushroom cloud far off into the distance they certainly have a place carrying all the necessities of survival....</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
OK, I will give you that that being the pack will last through a Bright Boy attack! I do only two types of hiking/ Backpack camping. 1st is a heavy load. In this load I carry anywhere from 50 lbs to 70 lbs. This configuration is to cover every possible need, including rock climbing and repelling. 2nd config is much lighter. My second pack usually carries about 12lbs to 15lbs total. This includes pack, sleeping bag, ultra light tent, alcohol stove, and three to five days of food. That pack I use for this is:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2058&d=

Now when going ultra light I make sure I divide the load equally between my wife and myself. When going ultra light I usually can cover allot of ground fast. Ok now back to the topic at hand. I directed people Black Hawk Inc. so they could see other options then just what they see at REI or Surplus stores. I believe picking a good pack out is like buying a house or new car. Look around and make sure you are getting exactly what you want and like.

Everyone have a good time, talk to you latter.

Sword Out.

Connie
08-02-2004, 11:48
Boy! I think that is believing too much in what gear can do!

I do love the gear. I admit it.

I guess that guy hasn't seen what the first gulf war "cluster bombs" can do. Most people that went in on the ground, including Rangers, committed suicide.

I do know what war technology is: I don't even bother about my bug-out gear.

My entire life is off-grid, the van is ready for travel, the new trail bike is loaded in the van, the travel trailer is solar power, and I don't kid myself about all that either: I just want to enjoy nature as God made it, while I can.

Here's hoping the good guys have enough good sense to know to send ALL the bad boys to their god: enemies foreign and domestic.

NotYet
08-02-2004, 12:37
After my footwear, I consider my pack to be my most important piece of gear. So, on these two items I go for fit and quality, and I'm willing to spend more money. For everything else, I shop for bargains! For instance, I'm perfectly happy using a plastic Wal-mart tarp, and I don't use a pack cover; instead, everything is in plastic bags (my gear has never gotten wet with this system!).

If you have an outfitter nearby, try on lot's of weighted packs & wear them around the store for a long time. Different packs are made for different shapes! I've found that I'm far more confortable in the "heavier pack" that fits me well and has a good suspension system (I use an Opsrey with hipbelt and harness designed for women). In fact, it feels much lighter to me than carrying a lightweight pack with less gear in it! But maybe that's just me :-?

One thing to consider about Spring hiking in the Southern Appalachians is that it can be VERY WET...making it seem much colder than it may actually be. Have good rain gear!

I hope your trip is wonderful! :)

SwEeT cLoVeR
08-03-2004, 17:13
Yeah I have to agree that backpack is the most important thing to buy due to right fitting and all. Guess i am going to take my time to do backpackin shopping and try on all of those backpack no matter what the prices are. Including hiking shoes too. Then the rest should be fine and follow the weigh at least around 30-40lbs for me since I am 130 lbs and 5'8'' I am going to ask million of guestions before buying each equipments including tent since I have seen many tents but havent decided due to weigh, downpour, etc. All i am hoping for is to have a very comfortable hiking during AT with right kind of equipments.