PDA

View Full Version : Madison Spring Hut Fall Croo

irishkevin
08-28-2009, 20:49
I just came back from a very cold night at Madison Hut and found the Croo there to be nothing short of spectacular. While new to the job, they were all obviously very well-trained, enthusiastic and just plain fun. In particular, the Hut naturalist, Anna, was poised, confident and polished - traits seemingly more appropriate for a seasoned veteran than for someone on the job less than a week.

I'd really love to know how AMC is able to attract and retain such excellent staff. The job is extremely tough, I would imagine, and probably does not pay that well. What is their secret sauce?

Spokes
08-28-2009, 21:01
Good to know. I heard horror stories from SOBO's this year to stay away from Madison Hut. I just stopped in for a quick snack and thought the croo was fantastic as well!

-Spokes

warraghiyagey
08-28-2009, 23:35
I've never had anything but a GREAT experience at Madison Hut. The Croo has been great each time. But each year is a crap shoot with any of the huts. . . they change each year but from what I've seen Madison seems to land the more decent folks each year.:sun:sun

Cookerhiker
08-29-2009, 11:20
This doesn't answer the question but on my White Mts. hike last month, the evening program at Zealand was about the history of the huts. They said that Madison was considered the most distant and remote in terms of packing supplies from/to the nearest road trailhead. So it might attract a heartier or more dedicated breed of volunteers.

Yahtzee
08-29-2009, 12:07
Headed there next week. Glad to hear there will be some good folks awaiting.