PDA

View Full Version : Conditions

GeneralLee10
08-29-2009, 10:16
Can some of you tell me the conditions of the trail from Springer to Neels Gap at this time. Is there alot of folks still out or? and the water along with the bugs how is it? I was plaining on doing this walk soon just was curious about the conditions.

chiefduffy
08-29-2009, 18:13
Needles just finished hiking GA last week. He told me he saw very few hikers, but lots of poison ivy and bees. Didn't mention mosquito or water problems.

Summit
08-29-2009, 18:48
It's warm during the day, sultry to mildly cool in the wee hours of the morning. It's been a wet summer so water is plentiful, but also, it's been a wet summer so bugs are horrific. You will see more folks on the weekends and less during the week. Now that school's back in session, the crowds should be less. You might start to see a few of the fast SOBOs pretty soon.

Cool AT Breeze
08-29-2009, 19:05
Plenty of water, no bugs to speak of, temps low 80s daytime 50s at night. Not many hikers out right now.

Pedaling Fool
08-29-2009, 19:13
Plenty of water, no bugs to speak of, temps low 80s daytime 50s at night. Not many hikers out right now.
I'm surprised about the lack of bugs given the amount of rain, sounds perfect...maybe I should plan a trip:-?

Birkin
09-02-2009, 09:52
I plan on hiking Springer to Neels Gap starting tomorrow afternoon and was also wondering about water conditions. I just called Amicalola and they said Springer was dry 2 weeks ago, but had some rain since. I am not so worried about it, but I am bringing along 3 new to hiking friends who are saying they're going to be carrying upwards of 5L of water because they "heard" it was fairly dry.

Blissful
09-02-2009, 12:01
I'm surprised about the lack of bugs given the amount of rain, sounds perfect...maybe I should plan a trip:-?

My hubby was just saying today that here in VA we've had very little in the way of mosquitoes and Japanese beetles that usually decimate my plants. Not sure why.

Cool AT Breeze
09-02-2009, 17:24
I plan on hiking Springer to Neels Gap starting tomorrow afternoon and was also wondering about water conditions. I just called Amicalola and they said Springer was dry 2 weeks ago, but had some rain since. I am not so worried about it, but I am bringing along 3 new to hiking friends who are saying they're going to be carrying upwards of 5L of water because they "heard" it was fairly dry.
Water is no problem. Bring a jacket it's been cool up here. 48 deg last night. Awesome sleeping weather.