PDA

View Full Version : Split from Thru - Hiking with Dreadlocks - Dreads? Good or bad?

Pedaling Fool
08-26-2009, 09:14
Not passing judgement here; I'm sincerely curious. What's the point of dreadlocks?

Lone Wolf
08-26-2009, 09:16
Not passing judgement here; I'm sincerely curious. What's the point of dreadlocks?

yeah really. to get attention? be different? ugly, dirty, moldy hair is not even close to being attractive

SmokeEater
08-26-2009, 10:16
Does it really matter how someone wears there hair? Who cares! doesnt make the hiker. they wear them because they like them just like funky beards.:D

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 11:53
yeah really. to get attention? be different? ugly, dirty, moldy hair is not even close to being attractive

Whats the point of wearing a long beard down to your stomach? To get attention? To be different?

Feral
08-26-2009, 12:04
Ya Why would you ever wear your hair in dreds? that's strange

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 12:06
Ya Why would you ever wear your hair in dreds? that's strange

Haha, interested to see yours!

Lone Wolf
08-26-2009, 12:06
Whats the point of wearing a long beard down to your stomach? To get attention? To be different?

who wears a long beard down to their stomach? i don't know of anybody. beards are natural. dreads ain't

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 12:07
who wears a long beard down to their stomach? i don't know of anybody. beards are natural. dreads ain't

You used to.

Dreads are natural. Do some research

Dogwood
08-26-2009, 17:40
WOW, what a wide range of topics we do discuss here on WB! This is a good one. How do I take care of ny dread locks while hiking? Certainly valid question though.

Jack Tarlin
08-26-2009, 19:15
Pretty funny thread.

Yeah, dreads are "natural" all right.....at least they are if you have some actual connection to a place where they have a historical or cultural significance, i.e. India or Jamaica for example.

Are they "natural" for some freckled college kid from Fairfield, Connecticut?

Um, no, then they're merely a trendy fashion statement, and yeah, they do indeed tend to stink, look funny, and make the wearer look they performed their daily grooming with a piece of toast. The typical white, suburban, collegiate dread wearer isn't into Rastafarianism, mysticism, even spirituality. He isn't Jamaican, he knows nothing about the history of Rastafarianism, nor he is he an expert on Sadhuism or Indian religion. He wears dreads for the same reason that his contemporaries get multiple facial piercings or lousy tattoo work......they do it to look "different".

The reality, of course, is that they merely look silly.

Jack Tarlin
08-26-2009, 19:21
I'll amend the above comment.

White guys with dreads tend to look pretty ridiculous, sorta like Gary Oldman in "True Romance".

There are women that look pretty good in them, tho, so they'll get a pass.

Lone Wolf
08-26-2009, 19:35
Pretty funny thread.

Yeah, dreads are "natural" all right.....at least they are if you have some actual connection to a place where they have a historical or cultural significance, i.e. India or Jamaica for example.

Um, no, then they're merely a trendy fashion statement, and yeah, they do indeed tend to stink, look funny, and make the wearer look they performed their daily grooming with a piece of toast. The typical white, suburban, collegiate dread wearer isn't into Rastafarianism, mysticism, even spirituality. He isn't Jamaican, he knows nothing about the history of Rastafarianism, nor he is he an expert on Sadhuism or Indian religion. He wears dreads for the same reason that his contemporaries get multiple facial piercings or lousy tattoo work......they do it to look "different".

they're angst ridden trustafarians

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 20:10
Pretty funny thread.

and you forgot to ammend that it is merely your opinion. About half of the population here has dreads and they dont look different. You live in a posh little college town so your observation is quite different. Not knockin you but I too lived in a ritzy mostly white town with a major university. Just because something looks different and may look bad to you but may look good to others. But like i said, its just your opinion

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 20:11
Pretty funny thread.

Um, no, then they're merely a trendy fashion statement, and yeah, they do indeed tend to stink, look funny, and make the wearer look they performed their daily grooming with a piece of toast.

I have heard that same babble when it comes to your hygiene and style:p

Jester2000
08-26-2009, 20:36
My old dog (golden retriever/ cocker spaniel mix) would grow impressive dreds naturally in the dense fur on her haunches and belly. . .

I'd like to note that I, too, grow impressive dreads naturally on my haunches and belly.

WalkinHome
08-26-2009, 21:06
and I would praise you for that except this is the wrong thread.

Jester2000
08-26-2009, 21:15
and I would praise you for that except this is the wrong thread.

I find it hard to believe that there are any threads in which it's inappropriate to praise me. Well, maybe the one about the girl getting hit by lightning.

As already mentioned, I doubt that mold will be a problem on the PCT. I would think that heat would be more of an issue.

ed bell
08-26-2009, 21:19
Moldy Dreads sounds like a great name for a jam band.:D

Hooch
08-26-2009, 21:26
In regard to the OP, it's just hair. You grew it once, and you can grow it again. Get over yourself and cut it, it'll grow back eventually. :rolleyes:

Dogwood
08-26-2009, 21:28
Some funny sh#t going down here.

Yeah, since you mentioned it ChacoTaco, I do notice quite a few whites with dreads in downtown Asheville. I know I'm sounding judgemental, but from my personal knowledge MANY of them in downtown Aville do inhale. No problema with that for me though. And, no, I don't assume dreads are just a black, Rustafarian, or party central symbol. I know people who don't party, who are as white as Casper, and aren't Rastas with dreads.

Lone Wolf, angst ridden trustafarians; I think that's the funniest thing I ever saw you post.

Best two dreadlock scenes: Gary Oldman in "True Romance" saying, "must be whiteboy day, is it whiteboy day?", then Christian Slater shoots him, and when Steven Segal slices the head off the dreadlocked crack dealing Jamaican as cop John Hatcher in "Marked For Death" right after the Jamaican says, "Hatcha ya kelled ma bruudha, now I'm gonna kill you."

clured
08-26-2009, 22:11
Just in case someone hasn't seen this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/40968/saturday-night-live-digital-short-ras-trent

I can't imagine having dreadlocks on the trail. I start feeling hot and stuff once my hair grows out to about 2 inches. Once you get used to buzzing your head with a 3-4 guard, nothing ever feels right...

wakapak
08-26-2009, 22:16
Pretty funny thread.

yeah Jack, i remember you telling me i looked like i combed my hair with a piece of toast when you saw my dreads. whatever! :p

as far as maintenance, believe it or not, i had to tend to my hair MORE when i had the dreads than i do without them. I've never been the typical girl that does alot with her hair, usually i just wash it, towel dry it then go on with my day. However with the dreads, i had to put stuff in them, on them and keep twisting and rolling them....FOR ME it was way more hair maintenance than i'm used to. But for alot of others, it may not be.

Jack Tarlin
08-27-2009, 19:05
Wow, Chaco, so HALF the population of Asheville has dreads? I never knew this and I visit every year. :D

Geez, I must operate in different social circles when I pass thru, as this figure seems sorta high. I mean, Asheville is like 75,000 people.

That's an awful lot of bad haircuts.

But quick question. Assuming you're right, and there are indeed 38,000 people in those parts with dready smelly hair, how many of them actually hail from cultural backgrounds where dreadlocks were traditional or had a genuine cultural attachment......and how many are just little tattooed white hippie college dropouts who are being trendy and cool while panhandling on North Lex. or trying to score free coffee at Izzy's?

Cuz if you're telling us, Chaco, that metropolitan Asheville is really 50% Indian or Jamaican, well, I'm sorry, I'd have to dispute this.

I just don't think that's true.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2009, 20:41
Wow, Chaco, so HALF the population of Asheville has dreads? I never knew this and I visit every year. :D

Geez, I must operate in different social circles when I pass thru, as this figure seems sorta high. I mean, Asheville is like 75,000 people.

That's an awful lot of bad haircuts.

But quick question. Assuming you're right, and there are indeed 38,000 people in those parts with dready smelly hair, how many of them actually hail from cultural backgrounds where dreadlocks were traditional or had a genuine cultural attachment......and how many are just little tattooed white hippie college dropouts who are being trendy and cool while panhandling on North Lex. or trying to score free coffee at Izzy's?

Cuz if you're telling us, Chaco, that metropolitan Asheville is really 50% Indian or Jamaican, well, I'm sorry, I'd have to dispute this.

I just don't think that's true.

i spent the nite in asheville a week ago and only saw a few rasta wannabes. but of course i didn't go to the mellow mushroom

Lone Wolf
08-27-2009, 20:43
i spent the nite in asheville a week ago and only saw a few rasta wannabes. but of course i didn't go to the mellow mushroom
and what's up with the homeless druggies constantly hittin' on ya for cash? bad vibe that city has. if not for the food and music i wouldn't go there

MikenSalem
08-27-2009, 21:10

HEY! Easy on the Mello they got great pie ... We'll just have to get takeout

Bilge Rat
08-27-2009, 21:14
porkchops....

Dogwood
08-27-2009, 21:29
Yeah, Mellow Mushroom does have some great pizza - just don't tell that to my nieces and nephews. When my Veggie Supreme and Meat Lovers Supreme arrived piping hot at the table, and it did look and smell great, all my nieces and nephews proceeded to scrape every last topping, including the cheese, from the crust. As I threw $60 bucks on the table with tip I couldn't help but think, as I looked at the 10 inch high pile of toppings in the center of the table, that if I had just ordered some toast and a side of tomato sauce I might have saved enough to get me 1/2 way there to a new pair of trail runners.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2009, 21:31
HEY! Easy on the Mello they got great pie ... We'll just have to get takeout

and the nasty dreadies that work there

MikenSalem
08-27-2009, 21:36
Yeah, Mellow Mushroom does have some great pizza - just don't tell that to my nieces and nephews. When my Veggie Supreme and Meat Lovers Supreme arrived piping hot at the table, and it did look and smell great, all my nieces and nephews proceeded to scrape every last topping, including the cheese, from the crust. As I threw $60 bucks on the table with tip I couldn't help but think, as I looked at the 10 inch high pile of toppings in the center of the table, that if I had just ordered some toast and a side of tomato sauce I might have saved enough to get me 1/2 way there to a new pair of trail runners.

Oh Ida killed them dead, Sacrilege! Their crust is what makes it the best. Them youngun's be eatin Tony's cardboard freeze dried puke pie's for life.

JoshStover
08-27-2009, 21:41

Actually you are wrong on that one. Dreads ARE natural. If you stopped doing anything to your hair(washing,brushing,etc..) you would have dreads. The hair will Dread all on its own if you let it.

MikenSalem
08-27-2009, 21:42
HEY is LW bald or somthin? Whats up with all the hate'n? Where's the love gone? Goodness, so some nice young people look like they got a hair ball collection spring'in from their head. They need to work, just because they carry a little cat in their hat you gotta be all mean...

MikenSalem
08-27-2009, 21:43
Actually you are wrong on that one. Dreads ARE natural. If you stopped doing anything to your hair(washing,brushing,etc..) you would have dreads. The hair will Dread all on its own if you let it.

MY BS "O" meter just went off scale

Chaco Taco
08-27-2009, 21:53
Yea you can diss on Asheville all ya want. I love it here. Good people, good food, great beer, great music, great hiking. Screw ya'll I love my town!

And Jack, yes, its called an exaggeration. Just sayin alot of dreadies here and that was the point I was trying to make. Try to stir the pot somewhere else. I know not to get wrapped up in a pissin contest with you cuz you just dont quit and I get pissed off

JoshStover
08-27-2009, 21:59
MY BS "O" meter just went off scale

And why is that? Do you have dreads? Have you ever had dreads? Do you even know ANYTHING about caring for or starting dreads? My guess is No to all of the above. I dont have dreads now because of my job(cant have long no matter what the style) but I did have them for many years and I have helped atleast 5 people start them and I know tons of people with them. Why do people have to be a Rasta to have dreads? So I guess of the people on here with shaved heads are Skin Heads from Germany, right? I dont think so. I just wish I knew why so many people have to be so damn judgemental. If you would stop judging people and just get to know them you would probably find out that they are wonderful people.

MikenSalem
08-27-2009, 22:17
And why is that? Do you have dreads? Have you ever had dreads? Do you even know ANYTHING about caring for or starting dreads? My guess is No to all of the above. I dont have dreads now because of my job(cant have long no matter what the style) but I did have them for many years and I have helped atleast 5 people start them and I know tons of people with them. Why do people have to be a Rasta to have dreads? So I guess of the people on here with shaved heads are Skin Heads from Germany, right? I dont think so. I just wish I knew why so many people have to be so damn judgemental. If you would stop judging people and just get to know them you would probably find out that they are wonderful people.

Rebuttal to the Stovermon
Q1 cause it ain't true all you get is a fro bro, dreads need twistin Q2 nope, Q3 had to listen to the dredd Queen for years & I know way more than I ever wanted too, Congratulations on all your dread experience cant help who you hang with but keep tryin, somebody nice might befriend you someday! Why would anyone who wasn't a Rasta want dreads? People with shaved heads are unfortunates who get sunburned and poked in the head allot and wish they hadn't left their hat in the car, or else they had red hair and cut it all off. Who needs to be judgmental I got a BS-O-Meter! And dreads are as natural as the blue hair'd lady down the street. She bakes cookies CAN YOU?

JoshStover
08-27-2009, 22:55
Rebuttal to the Stovermon
Q1 cause it ain't true all you get is a fro bro, dreads need twistin Q2 nope, Q3 had to listen to the dredd Queen for years & I know way more than I ever wanted too, Congratulations on all your dread experience cant help who you hang with but keep tryin, somebody nice might befriend you someday! Why would anyone who wasn't a Rasta want dreads? People with shaved heads are unfortunates who get sunburned and poked in the head allot and wish they hadn't left their hat in the car, or else they had red hair and cut it all off. Who needs to be judgmental I got a BS-O-Meter! And dreads are as natural as the blue hair'd lady down the street. She bakes cookies CAN YOU?

You DO NOT have to twist your hair for it to dread. They wont be perfectly round and will look more like your hair is just matted but it is a dread none the less. I still dont understand why some people have to be so negative. Must just be a negative person and I feel sorry for people like that. You must not have anything good in your life and you feel like you have to put others down that are doing wonderfully. You also must be just a tad uneducated on this subject. I dont think your Dread Queen filled you in on all the details...

MikenSalem
08-28-2009, 00:13
Okay Stovermon; ANY OTHER DREADDIES OUT THERE WHO NEVER TWISTED??? umm no response. Hey wassat smell? oh I hear that bell again; ding ding ding - it's going off scale again! please quit messin with the meter dude. Bald people and red heads, they can't help it. Rasta's did it on their own. And wassup with all your hate'n? First I just voice my opinion that you are FULL OF IT, I just yelled it, thats what you call all caps in type. First you yelled at me then you tried to make me cry with your sob story about you selling out to the establishment and cutting off your dreads so you could work. Then you try and align yourself with the Rasta Nation with all your references to your "5" friends (who's parents hate you for twisting their hair) and the "Tons" of others you know (BTW for every ton you know w dreads I know a Brazilian tons who don't) Then you try and label all skin heads as Germans (they will be pi$$ed!) and you seem to wish to make yourself out to be wonderful. Lastly I'm negative and have no good in my life and wish to pick on you who are selling out to the man and doing so wonderful. Lastly again, you pick on the Dreadd Queen who had shoulder length dreadds (I guess here:-? thats more than you had) and ate at my table (still does :)) and throw off on somebody who hasn't ever typed one word to you, even a fellow dreddie. All this hype about dreadds and all that knowledge I suppose you must be the Trusted Urban Rasta Defender or TURD for short. I tip my hat to you, you are indeed a great one. Finally this is all great fun but; WHO CARES, YOU TWISTED YOURS! Oh yea! you know you did... burnt yo toast baby.. time to dance:dance

JoshStover
08-28-2009, 00:26
Ok. you got me. Your to cool for me to converse with.

Mags
08-28-2009, 01:50
So I guess of the people on here with shaved heads are Skin Heads from Germany, right?

I'm just a bald dago who thinks hiking in the desert with long hair can be problematic. :) (I'm a bit too olive skinned to be a skin head. My current girlfriend may not like that either (being from an Nigerian family and all. ;) )

JoshStover
08-28-2009, 02:20
Thats not what I was saying. He was saying that pretty much you should be a Rasta to have dreads. So I asked him if you have a shaved head does that mean your a skin head? I just really wish these people wouldnt be so negative. This is a wonderful resource for anyone who has ever or plans to step foot on the AT but all it takes is a few negative people to ruin the whole thing. Im not just talking about this topic either. I have seen people who are just getting into hiking and they get on here and ask newbie questions and people jump all over them for asking. I mean come on people. We have all been there, we gotta learn from somewhere.

Two Speed
08-28-2009, 10:06
. . . that if I had just ordered some toast and a side of tomato sauce I might have saved enough to get me 1/2 way there to a new pair of trail runners.Looks like a shrewd analysis and a reasonable response to deal with the problem. Next time you go to the 'Shroom, have the pizza of your dreams, then drop by Awful House on the way home to pick something up for the kiddies after buying some new trail runners.

Looks like a win-win to me! :banana

So I guess of the people on here with shaved heads are Skin Heads from Germany, right?Ummm, yeah.

BTW, getting pretty close to invoking Godwin's Law, ain'tcha? :p

Jester2000
08-28-2009, 10:11
Out of curiosity, if this is true:

Why would this be necessary?:

. . .I have helped at least 5 people start them . . .

Did you help them stop doing anything to their hair? What would that entail? Stealing their shampoo and combs?

mudhead
08-28-2009, 10:31
He must have praised them for letting their hair mat up.

Dreads were big here last season, not so much this year.

Fiddleback
08-28-2009, 10:39
When I was in junior high, I was told that mama's boys wore crew cuts. Now the style is popular with military wannabes. Then, crew criticism was coincident with "only JD's wear DA's". When the Beatles hit (yes...I'm an old fart), long hair was demonized by preachers, coaches, and all other righteous people. When I went to school in Ft.Collins, the townies would beat up visiting bands who wore their hair over their ears. But on campus, hair was starting to flourish...so much for one that he was given the name, "Jesus." (he turned out to be a narc:D) In the military, much time was spent determining just how long one's sideburns were...(bottom of the ear hole? ear lobe?). Less than 20 years later many had no sideburns at all (I tried both styles...now sideburns are incorporated into my beard but it is not belly length...that's just wrong!:eek:)

Hair styles come and go but some things never change...;)

FB

Lone Wolf
08-28-2009, 12:59
Actually you are wrong on that one. Dreads ARE natural. If you stopped doing anything to your hair(washing,brushing,etc..) you would have dreads. The hair will Dread all on its own if you let it.so do dreadheads take showers and wash clothes? might as well let the rest of you get nasty too

Feral
08-28-2009, 13:23
I love how Jack believes dreds are only from Jamaica or India. It turns out that all cultures have twisted their hair up into dreds at one time or another. Ever see Brave Heart? By Jacks "rules" Im 50/50 Scotch Irish so I'm allowed to have dreds, oh thank God.
Don't worry about having dreds on the PCT you'll never run into any of these negative, better than everyone celebrity posters out there. We threw a few bottles of DredHead Shampoo into our maildrops. I dind't see any real rain until I hit Cascade Locks the PCT is a dry and wonderful trail.

Jonnycat
08-28-2009, 13:27
Some people sure do put up with a lot of difficulty in their lives to make a fashion statement.

Jester2000
08-28-2009, 13:55
I love how Jack believes dreds are only from Jamaica or India. It turns out that all cultures have twisted their hair up into dreds at one time or another. Ever see Brave Heart? By Jacks "rules" Im 50/50 Scotch Irish so I'm allowed to have dreds, oh thank God.
Don't worry about having dreds on the PCT you'll never run into any of these negative, better than everyone celebrity posters out there. We threw a few bottles of DredHead Shampoo into our maildrops. I dind't see any real rain until I hit Cascade Locks the PCT is a dry and wonderful trail.

I kind of love how Feral believes Braveheart is history rather than a fictional film. Generally speaking, if your love of historical research extends only as far as watching Mel Gibson movies, you shouldn't be surprised if people don't take you seriously.

But I'm not saying that Scottish Highlanders didn't have matted, filthy hair. I'm sure many did. I suspect that all of us share a cultural heritage, if you go back far enough, of being filthy. Few of us today, however, choose to celebrate our ancestry by not washing our crotches.

So if one isn't growing dreads as an expression of one's culture or religion, and if they're not (currently) a sign of filthiness, then I think that makes them a fashion statement. I happen to think it's a fashion statement that looks awful, but that's just me. I suppose we all find different kinds of things attractive.

Except me, of course. We all find me attractive.

Feral
08-28-2009, 14:24
#1. Goal in life: be taken seriously by Jester and Whiteblaze Forum
Damn so close, why did I use that friggin movie as my only "research"
I should go wash my dreads since they are so filthy and offensive maybe I'll go get a sleevless cotton shirt and stain it with fried chicken grease and cheap beer spills and then shave my head. Ohh white blaze I fell into your trap.

Jester2000
08-28-2009, 14:42
#1. Goal in life: be taken seriously by Jester and Whiteblaze Forum
Damn so close, why did I use that friggin movie as my only "research"
I should go wash my dreads since they are so filthy and offensive maybe I'll go get a sleevless cotton shirt and stain it with fried chicken grease and cheap beer spills and then shave my head. Ohh white blaze I fell into your trap.

People on whiteblaze often comment on how serious I am. It's kind of my hallmark.

But if you're going to rank your goals in life, I would suggest slotting "actually reading other people's posts" ahead of being taken seriously, uness that's not your thing. If it's not, imagining that I said modern dreadlocks are filthy and offensive might be the way to go.

As for the rest of it, I'm presuming you'd be drinking some of the beer and eating the chicken, so I'd suggest shaving your head before you stain your shirt with beer and chicken grease. Lots of people find dreads attractive, but there aren't many people that find drunk bald guys with hair stuck to their hands all that sexy.

Jester2000
08-28-2009, 14:43
I'd also like to note that Feral, while having some issues with my post, didn't dispute my statement that "we all find me attractive."

booger
08-28-2009, 14:46
Dreadlocks

So easy a caveman can do it!!

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/MR178032.jpg

Ladytrekker
08-28-2009, 15:58
Wow, I cannot get past moldy yet.....yuck.

Jonnycat
08-28-2009, 16:09
Not sure if there is a solution to that while hiking.

http://i30.tinypic.com/34njnys.jpg

Lyle
08-28-2009, 16:13
Well, I'm not gonna tell anyone they shouldn't wear dreads. They certainly are a "different" hairstyle. If only I had enough hair left to consider wearing them. Not saying I would, but would sure be nice to have the option.:D

Mags
08-28-2009, 16:31
L

BTW, getting pretty close to invoking Godwin's Law, ain'tcha? :p

That was a quote from the previous user..not I. :p

(Remember, I am the shaved head dago. Is there the equivalent of Godwin's law for eye-talians. :D)

I ? By Jacks "rules" Im 50/50 Scotch Irish so I'm allowed to have dreds, oh thank God.
D

I am (mainly) southern Italian. I'm allowed to serve people copious amounts of food. (Better (and more accurate than Mel Gibson movie!) cultural stereotype than matted hair. There is that pesky organized crime, corruption and kickbacks stereotype. however. Not that people of Italian ancestry from Rhode Island ever have that problem. Ahem. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Cianci))

I would assume the real nasty wetting, the kind that would cause mold is from profuse sweating day in and day out. Not sure if there is a solution to that while hiking.

Being serious (What? ?um? er?) that's why I said many people who do the PCT (including a fair amount of women) opt to go for the short or even buzzed hair styles. Nothing to do with being a military wanna be..it just makes sense in the hot, sweaty and little water stretches encountered while desert hiking. As TAK said, it may be a military tradition, but it is also a military tradition rooted in common sense and practicality going far, far back (When going campaigning meant living outside for extended periods of time.)

As mentioned, for the first and only time in my adult life, I attempted to grow long hair while on the PCT. The overall "yuck" (and heat) factor caused me to shave it off after less than 2.5 weeks or so. And I was not the only one.

Just something to think about anyway.

sheepdog
08-28-2009, 19:49
Can dreds be used as an emergency fire starter?? multi purpose

sheepdog
08-28-2009, 19:50
If there is mold in your dreds you could get the trail name "moldylocks."

TD55
08-28-2009, 20:03

......................:banana:banana:banana:banana :banana.......................

TD55
08-28-2009, 20:06

Can dreds be used as an emergency fire starter?? multi purpose

***************:clap:clap:bse:clap:clap*********** ****

Chaco Taco
08-28-2009, 20:28
Some people sure do put up with a lot of difficulty in their lives to make a fashion statement.

Pay attention, its not a fashion statement:rolleyes:

Jonnycat
08-28-2009, 20:32
Pay attention, its not a fashion statement:rolleyes:

Is there a functional necessity to the dreadlocks?

No, there is not. Actually, the opposite (they are a functional burden).

Hence, the usage is borne from a statement of fashion.

Main Entry: 1fash·ion
Pronunciation: \ˈfa-shən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English facioun, fasoun shape, manner, from Anglo-French façun, fauschoun, from Latin faction-, factio act of making, faction, from facere to make — more at do
Date: 14th century
1 a : the make or form of something b archaic : kind, sort
2 a : a distinctive or peculiar and often habitual manner or way <he will, after his sour fashion, tell you — Shakespeare> b : mode of action or operation <assembled in an orderly fashion>
3 a : a prevailing custom, usage, or style b (1) : the prevailing style (as in dress) during a particular time (2) : a garment in such a style <always wears the latest fashions> c : social standing or prominence especially as signalized by dress or conduct <men and women of fashion>

Alligator
08-28-2009, 21:05
It's just personal style. If it makes you happy screw what everyone else has to say, it's your own hair:banana. We all stink after a day or two anyway.

I think I did see a picture of Jack once where it did look like he had dreads:eek:. I'll see if I can find it...

Fiddleback
08-28-2009, 21:07
Let's find some groups with dreds and burn their records...just like Ma and Pa did!

FB

Alligator
08-28-2009, 21:09
Here they are...

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13834&c=searchresults&searchid=26872

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13829&catid=searchresults&searchid=26873

;)

JF2CBR
08-29-2009, 09:28
Some of the old grumps on this board are afraid of anything new or different. They think if they can't or don't understand something, its automatically wrong and they must degrade it in any way possible.

Kind of sad if you ask me.

d.o.c
08-29-2009, 11:46
my hair dreaded itself up durin my thru hike its just what hair does. when u dont comb it.

notorius tic
08-29-2009, 11:55
Leaving on 9/09 out of neels gap>: Happy hiking.........

SteveJ
08-29-2009, 15:14
<clip> it'll grow back eventually. :rolleyes:

...or not..... :D

superman
08-29-2009, 15:42
Some of the old grumps on this board are afraid of anything new or different. They think if they can't or don't understand something, its automatically wrong and they must degrade it in any way possible.

Kind of sad if you ask me.

What planet have you been on? Dreds are not new or different. Dreds are understood. The good news is that you may grow out of this phase.:rolleyes:

Wilson
08-29-2009, 15:57
Dreads always look cool on the six o'clock news.

Tipi Walter
08-29-2009, 16:16

Well, what's the point of breast implants? Or grecian formula for men? Or toupees? There's a million things you could ask that question about.

my hair dreaded itself up durin my thru hike its just what hair does. when u dont comb it.

This is basically the way it is. Back in '76-'77 I let my hair mat and dread because I thought of the Hindu yogis who did the same thing and I wanted to become a wannabe sadhu. Most of it clumped up in the back and eventually I cut it out with some tin snips as it was a very dense growth of hair. d.o.c. is right, hair will mat and dread with otherwise no care, and it just may not dread in those long locks you usually see.

I had an old girlfriend who had a full head of dreads and she looked sharp but they took forever to dry. And of course they were heavy. I'm surprised the Ultralight fanatics haven't chimed in on this one, "The taboo of Excessive Grams when backpacking with a full head of dreadlocks."

Tin Man
08-29-2009, 17:00
It's just personal style. If it makes you happy screw what everyone else has to say, it's your own hair:banana. We all stink after a day or two anyway.

I think I did see a picture of Jack once where it did look like he had dreads:eek:. I'll see if I can find it...

retired hikers are bored and need to comment on every little change in personal style i guess. oi.

MikenSalem
08-29-2009, 21:54
How come people would cut the matted up mess off their dog. They'd say "man thats a nasty mess" and start wackin' but leave it on themselves and say Man I look cool:-?
All you nasty people go clean yourself up ya. Shameful thats all it is.:mad:

Jonnycat
08-29-2009, 23:46
How come people would cut the matted up mess off their dog. They'd say "man thats a nasty mess" and start wackin' but leave it on themselves and say Man I look cool:-?

Why indeed. I think it is for the same reason we see many people covered in tattoos and/or piercings, which is a seeming attempt to connect with a more primitive state of human existence, often referred to as the tribal movement.

Such individuals, for whatever reason, tend to selectively eschew certain parts of modern society (personal grooming, responsibility), while selectively retaining others (dependence upon technology, modern transportation) as it suits their needs. The fact that this is largely limited to individuals in urban settings tends to bear this observation out.

I think it might be a form of dissociation in the personality of those who are torn between their ties to the urban landscape and a desire for a more rural setting.

That, or just kids with too much time on their hands. :D

MikenSalem
08-30-2009, 00:18
:rolleyes:Indeed. I agree there is no alignment of said persons politically nor support thereof toward the alleged subsocietal group they claim to enamor, but only a superficial adaptation of outward style to justify a desire to act in a hedonist manner of self indulgence and illicit behavior.
I do not concur that they wish to disassociate themselves with urbana but rather offer this; They only wish to offer torment and pain toward their governance's and as option two; A reason to render themselves useless to advancement in society to further their somnastic intents.

Somebody clean them up so they can get a real job! oops that was mean:datz sorry:eek:

Lemni Skate
08-30-2009, 06:59
I don't like dreads, but it's not because I fear something new and different. I love Brazilian wax jobs. That's one place I don't want to be surprised by dreads.

sheepdog
08-31-2009, 17:09
What planet have you been on? Dreds are not new or different. Dreds are understood. The good news is that you may grow out of this phase.:rolleyes:
like bell bottom pants and big sideburns

brooklynkayak
08-31-2009, 18:05
HYOH.
Some people have hair that naturally turns to dreadlocks no matter how much you wash it. It is all in the hair type, If you don't comb it regularly it becomes dreads, who cares.

If I didn't cut my hair as short as I do, I'd have dreads myself, but I find dreads uncomfortable, others find them comfortable.

Dreads hold onto water for some people and if washed regularly never seem to dry fully and can get mildew in humid environments. I remember someone saying baby powder was good for drying dreads.

Some hair repels water and dries very quickly in dreads.

kyhipo
08-31-2009, 18:13
well let me see:-? your pretty strange to want dreadlocks with mold:eek:.ky and trust me I am not being judgmental its just come on man!

Chaco Taco
09-01-2009, 20:52
well let me see:-? your pretty strange to want dreadlocks with mold:eek:.ky and trust me I am not being judgmental its just come on man!

Still see that you have absolutely nothing to offer to the topic of conversation.

Wak's dreads didnt make it on the hike, but she started them while on the trail.

Jester2000
09-01-2009, 21:11
Sooo . . . Wak's a thru-hiker, but the dreads sectioned.

turtle fast
09-02-2009, 00:01
If your intent is to draw attention to yourself then go ahead. HOWEVER, you have to remember that the trail runs through rural areas and that these folks are not used to seeing dreadlocks. Now, they are used to seeing beards... Dreads unfortunately have the negative connotation of pot smoking hippie types whom most of the locals frown upon. Try to get a ride into town with dreads in rural Tennessee...hmmm The hippie or the hiker....most will pick up the hiker.

JoshStover
09-02-2009, 00:44
:rolleyes:Indeed. I agree there is no alignment of said persons politically nor support thereof toward the alleged subsocietal group they claim to enamor, but only a superficial adaptation of outward style to justify a desire to act in a hedonist manner of self indulgence and illicit behavior.
I do not concur that they wish to disassociate themselves with urbana but rather offer this; They only wish to offer torment and pain toward their governance's and as option two; A reason to render themselves useless to advancement in society to further their somnastic intents.

Somebody clean them up so they can get a real job! oops that was mean:datz sorry:eek:

A "Real" Job? Are you serious? I am the unit coordinator for the ICU in the state's largest hospital. Is that a real job? I did cut my dreads off but I did have them for four years while working this job. I also had them while is was an insurance agent for Nationwide and I was the in the top five best producers in the state. I think it is safe to say I had a "Real" job while I had my dreads...

Trailbender
09-04-2009, 08:34
Pretty funny thread.

Actually cavemen and many Vikings and Scotsmen had dreadlocks. I have thick red hair, and if I don't comb it, it starts locking up quickly. I have natural dreadlocks, and they aren't nasty, and they look good on me. I like them, that is all that matters, screw what anyone else thinks.

Trailbender
09-04-2009, 08:48
Being serious (What? ?um? er?) that's why I said many people who do the PCT (including a fair amount of women) opt to go for the short or even buzzed hair styles. Nothing to do with being a military wanna be..it just makes sense in the hot, sweaty and little water stretches encountered while desert hiking. As TAK said, it may be a military tradition, but it is also a military tradition rooted in common sense and practicality going far, far back (When going campaigning meant living outside for extended periods of time.)

As mentioned, for the first and only time in my adult life, I attempted to grow long hair while on the PCT. The overall "yuck" (and heat) factor caused me to shave it off after less than 2.5 weeks or so. And I was not the only one.

Just something to think about anyway.

Actually, the Roman military had short hair to keep people from grabbing their hair in close range fights. I was in the Army, so I have had both short hair and long hair. You are actually cooler in the summer with long hair. It holds the sweat against your scalp and allows it to evaporate, doing its job. I have hiked with long and short hair, and I was cooler by far with long hair. Also, the dreads or long hair trap air against your scalp in the winter, keeping your head warmer. I hiked for a month on the AT with shoulder length dreads, and had no problems, even showering once a week. I have never had mold grow in my dreads, either.

Pedaling Fool
09-04-2009, 09:08
...I was in the Army, so I have had both short hair and long hair. You are actually cooler in the summer with long hair. It holds the sweat against your scalp and allows it to evaporate, doing its job. I have hiked with long and short hair, and I was cooler by far with long hair. Also, the dreads or long hair trap air against your scalp in the winter, keeping your head warmer. I hiked for a month on the AT with shoulder length dreads, and had no problems, even showering once a week. I have never had mold grow in my dreads, either.
I was in the Navy, so I've had short hair and now I have shoulder-length hair and I don't believe that hair makes a difference with respect to heat of the summer WRT the body regulating body temp. However, just by your explanation, it doesn't make sense. Sweat will evaportate, regardless if you have hair or no hair (or any lenght in between). But if hair does trap in the sweat for any lenght of time that will PREVENT evaporation and thus heat up, making your body work harder to cool off.

In other words, sweat doesn't cool your body, it's the evaporation process that cools the body and anything that inhibits that process inhibits the cooling effect. With that said long hair (at least in my case, but I have relatively thin hair) doesn't really affect the evaporation process (in any noticeable way).

Just as long hair really doesn't help in keeping you warmer in the winter, it's all psycological.

Trailbender
09-04-2009, 11:16
I was in the Navy, so I've had short hair and now I have shoulder-length hair and I don't believe that hair makes a difference with respect to heat of the summer WRT the body regulating body temp. However, just by your explanation, it doesn't make sense. Sweat will evaportate, regardless if you have hair or no hair (or any lenght in between). But if hair does trap in the sweat for any lenght of time that will PREVENT evaporation and thus heat up, making your body work harder to cool off.

In other words, sweat doesn't cool your body, it's the evaporation process that cools the body and anything that inhibits that process inhibits the cooling effect. With that said long hair (at least in my case, but I have relatively thin hair) doesn't really affect the evaporation process (in any noticeable way).

Just as long hair really doesn't help in keeping you warmer in the winter, it's all psycological.

It makes plenty of sense, if you are bald, the sweat runs off your head before it has a chance to evaporate and cool things down. Long hair does keep you warmer in the winter as well. See my explanation. I have done research on this, and it actually does make a difference. I have thicker hair, and dreads, so that may explain it better. I have noticed I am warmer in the winter, it makes sense, the hair will trap air and keep your head warmer, same principle as down in a sleeping bag.

Chenango
09-04-2009, 12:31
Pretty funny thread.

Hey! I was at Fairfield Prep. Wait .. I do not have freckles. Or, dreadlocks. Oh yah, and I am in my 50's now!! Us older guys are just glad to have hair.

I do not remember people having dreadlocks at Fairfield back in the 70's. The Jesuits would not allow it!!

Pedaling Fool
09-04-2009, 13:59
It makes plenty of sense, if you are bald, the sweat runs off your head before it has a chance to evaporate and cool things down. Long hair does keep you warmer in the winter as well. See my explanation. I have done research on this, and it actually does make a difference...
For the cooling effect to work you need that sweat to roll off and not all of it rolls off it leaves a trail of water that quickly turns to vapor and that’s what cools you. If you could maintain, say a 2mm-thick layer of water on your entire body, that water will warm up until it’s warm enough to change to vapor during this time it is acting as an insulator. Whereas a very thin film of moisture will warm up quicker, thus evaporating quicker providing that cool feel. You don’t feel cold in a pool, but as soon as you get out, that same water (just less of it – and MOST of that rolls off) evaporates quickly and feels cold.

...I have thicker hair, and dreads, so that may explain it better. I have noticed I am warmer in the winter, it makes sense, the hair will trap air and keep your head warmer, same principle as down in a sleeping bag.
Yes, thicker hair is a factor in how warmer you may feel in the cold; I’m not saying that long hair will NOT affect your body temp in an absolute way. I’m saying it won’t be a large factor (discounting the psychological factors). Long hair will not prevent hypothermia, best get a hat for that and then some…

I’m not arguing against dreadlocks; when all’s said in done it doesn’t matter much if you hike bald or with dreadlocks – it’s a personal preference. I’m only talking basic physics in my last two posts and physics doesn’t care about our preferences.

Trailbender
09-04-2009, 15:32
For the cooling effect to work you need that sweat to roll off and not all of it rolls off it leaves a trail of water that quickly turns to vapor and that’s what cools you. If you could maintain, say a 2mm-thick layer of water on your entire body, that water will warm up until it’s warm enough to change to vapor during this time it is acting as an insulator. Whereas a very thin film of moisture will warm up quicker, thus evaporating quicker providing that cool feel. You don’t feel cold in a pool, but as soon as you get out, that same water (just less of it – and MOST of that rolls off) evaporates quickly and feels cold.

Yes, thicker hair is a factor in how warmer you may feel in the cold; I’m not saying that long hair will NOT affect your body temp in an absolute way. I’m saying it won’t be a large factor (discounting the psychological factors). Long hair will not prevent hypothermia, best get a hat for that and then some…

I’m not arguing against dreadlocks; when all’s said in done it doesn’t matter much if you hike bald or with dreadlocks – it’s a personal preference. I’m only talking basic physics in my last two posts and physics doesn’t care about our preferences.

The sweat doesn't need to roll off to evaporate, it can sit there and do that. I do wear a hat year round when I am hiking, anyways. I have long hair because I like long hair, mainly, but I was also explaining the practical reasons for it.

MikenSalem
09-04-2009, 22:12
A "Real" Job? Are you serious? I am the unit coordinator for the ICU in the state's largest hospital. Is that a real job? I did cut my dreads off but I did have them for four years while working this job. I also had them while is was an insurance agent for Nationwide and I was the in the top five best producers in the state. I think it is safe to say I had a "Real" job while I had my dreads...

Stovermon
Wasn't talking about you. Wasn't thinking about you. Wasn't at all about you. But in light of all that information "Good for you!" If I ever get to meet you in person I'm gonna hug you:D

Chaco Taco
09-07-2009, 11:31
Its amazing that people that dont want or like dreads talk trash. If you dont want em, you dont have to have em. Not all people with dreads are dirty. Thats the biggest stereotype. I understand expressing your opinion but you aint gotta be jerks about it. This is the 21st century and its a diverse society. Live with it!
Jester,
Wak's dreads started in CT. She wants them again and will probably get them. I may also do the same as I wait another year to get more length, then Ill let em start.

Mags
09-07-2009, 17:14
Actually, the Roman military had short hair to keep people from grabbing their hair in close range fights.

It was the Greeks under Alexander who did that for that reason.. The Romans did it mainly for that reason, but also hygiene, cultural and tradition.

I was in the Army, so I have had both short hair and long hair. You are actually cooler in the summer with long hair.

That's news to a lot of experienced desert hikers. :)

Trailbender
09-10-2009, 08:33
That's news to a lot of experienced desert hikers. :)

Good, glad to help. We are always learning. Even experienced people can learn something new.

Mango
09-10-2009, 09:36
If you've got enough hair, wear it however you like. Most critics on here are just jealous. I wish I still had some hair to braid.

Nearly Normal
09-10-2009, 10:08
Dreads would be Sea Island sand gnat nirvana.
https://gashpo.org/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=619

Feral
09-10-2009, 10:44
My dreads allow me to hike big mile days and longer sections between resupply.