PDA

View Full Version : New hiker ready to tackle the trail in 2010!

Omegajude
08-29-2009, 12:57
Hi folks.

After years of putting aside the desire to thru-hike the AT, I've decided to launch in 2010 nobo, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

As far as hiking goes, I've completed many short hikes, however usually lasting no more than a day. The walking wont be a problem (hopefully!) As far as camping goes, however, I'm a novice.

I have a targeted start date of the first or second week in March - As soon as the 2010 books/maps/guides come out I'll be gobbling them up as well.

I'll be perusing this (and other) site in the months to come. I've already read much of the information and advice that you folks have to offer. I'm sure that if I have a specific question, you'll be able to answer it! :D

Hopefully I'll see some of you on the trail next year!

Blissful
08-29-2009, 13:13
Enjoy it all!

Lyle
08-29-2009, 13:14
Welcome!

Have fun planning. Bet you have even more fun come next spring, when most of your plans fall apart. Don't worry, that's normal, just hike on and enjoy.

Omegajude
08-29-2009, 13:23
Thanks guys! I've got no gear just yet, but there's plenty of time to get stocked up and practice hoisting that pack around for a while.

I have a question..

What type of foods do you typically stock up on while out on the trail, and do you carry a portable stove (such as a Coleman stove, or the like)? I'm trying to get a feel on what to expect nutritionally (should I carry along my multivitamins?)

How about iodine and pots for boiling water?

What type of food plans have you folks enacted while hiking the AT?

Midway Sam
08-29-2009, 13:26
Thanks guys! I've got no gear just yet, but there's plenty of time to get stocked up and practice hoisting that pack around for a while.

I have a question..

What type of foods do you typically stock up on while out on the trail, and do you carry a portable stove (such as a Coleman stove, or the like)? I'm trying to get a feel on what to expect nutritionally (should I carry along my multivitamins?)

Start here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7630

And then read all you can at:
http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content

Omegajude
08-29-2009, 13:31
This site is quite extensive... don't know how I passed by that second link...

Thanks for the links, Sam.

Lyle
08-29-2009, 13:57
Some comments:

I have a question..

I tried that on my first long distance hike, bought a bunch of "staples" to have sent to me. Got sick of it by about the third week. Stopped having them sent, and just bought along the way - can then match your desire to your purchase. I think most, but not all folks are happier doing this.

Type stove will depend on what kind of "cooking" you do. If it's mostly just heating water, like I do, then my preference is an alcohol pepsi can stove. Others like cannister stoves like the pocket rocket, giga power, or even jet boil. A few still like their white gas, but most reserve these for winter or group use.

Try to eat as much variety as possible, but that is pretty tough when on trail, unless you do a lot of drying at home in prep. Most folks worry about "filling" while on the trail, then chow-down when in town. Vitamins would not be a bad thing.

Iodine works, I prefer AquaMira, others prefer filters. Few, if any, boil water as a means of purifying, except when cooking. Very much a personal choice.

All kinds of pots out there, somewhat depending on what type stove you decide on. Don't go overboard, 3 cup capacity seems to work well for many solo hikers.

Basicly, eat everything in sight!! You will figure it out as you go. That's another good reason to buy as you go, so you can adjust. One note, a lot of folks, myself included, find that their appetites don't really start to kick into high gear until several days or a week into a trip. I even loose my normal appetite for the first few days. Don't worry, that will change. I mention it so that you can avoid going overboard on food weight in the beginning.

Feral Bill
08-29-2009, 14:44
While you're learning, a few shorter hikes in Harriman State Park will make what you are reading and hearing clearer. Public transportation there is easy. You could also do short AT sections in the area. Have fun!

Big Dawg
08-30-2009, 08:46
:welcome to WB! Enjoy your hike!

Chowder
08-30-2009, 17:42
Welcome Jude. I'm planning a 2010 NOBO hike and have been learning lots this summer for the hike. One of my first thoughts was to start loading up on gear so I could feel like I had that part taken care of. I ended up waiting on most of it and I think that was a better choice. Gear gets expensive fast, so try to hold of on any big purchases until you've read a bit more and have specific sizes, models, etc. in mind.

I agree with Feral Bill, as a novice you can gain some good perspective by doing a few weekend hikes near you. I'm planning 4 nights on the AT in PA next week to test out some of the gear I already have and see how I do.

Good luck and keep reading about everything you don't know about.

Petr
08-30-2009, 18:12
Single most useful article for newbies:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=132311#post132311

On the gear front: Check out steepandcheap.com. Good deals and it's fun to check every half hour if you're stuck behind a desk.

In general, there's lots of good value in used gear, internet wholesalers, and off-brand options...you don't need to shell out top dollar for name brands at the outfitter's. On the other hand, as many have pointed out, don't abuse the outfitters. Some who go in to outfitters and take up their salespeople's time and handle all of their wares feel that the morally responsible thing to is buy from them. To each his own.

If you've got parents/family with the means and desire to buy you nice presents, then don't miss out on Christmas/other winter holidays. My parents never know what to get me and appreciated some suggestions.

Also, if you can wait for a bit, camping stuff tends to go on sale in January and February when suppliers start rolling out next year's models.

Finally, the one area that most agree not to try to cut costs is on a sleeping bag. High quality, low weight comfort is a bit pricey.

Oh, almost forgot: it's not about the gear.

Good luck.

Peter

Petr
08-30-2009, 18:13
Be sure to ask Lone Wolf and Summit about the need for trekking poles. That should clear that issue up for you.

Blissful
08-30-2009, 20:49

I have a question..

Carry a MSR pocket rocket stove or you can make and carry an alcohol stove.

I used Aqua mira chemical treatment for water.

We did a combo mail drop for dinners and bought food for brakfast and lunch mostly - as I could dry and prepare dinners ahead of time and I had my hubby mail them to us for dinners.

Blissful
08-30-2009, 20:52
Oh, almost forgot: it's not about the gear.

Yeah but lightweight gear really helps make the hike, physically and mentally. By Neel Gap you are wanting desperately to ditch heavy for light stuff.

So I would indeed research the gear options and get the best you can for the money you have. Look for deals. And hikers selling gear.

Kimmee
09-09-2009, 16:50
steepandcheap.com

wow thanks for the heads up on this site... I even added the widget so as not to miss a new deal!

Hoping to start myself in the spring and working on getting gear now and doing some short prep hikes as I am new to this as well.

BrianLe
09-09-2009, 18:44
If you like steepandcheap, also checkout http://spadout.com/, http://www.sierratradingpost.com/, and http://www.rei.com/outlet

And of course there's lots of time between now and spring to make some gear, http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html
http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/homemake/index.html

Colter
09-09-2009, 21:00
I'm all in favor of going for it, but I think it would be wise to get a better feel for how you like camping and hiking day after day before heading out for months.

If you can, spend a week on the trail this summer/fall. You'll learn a whole lot about camping, hiking and yourself. These will be important lessons for tackling the AT.

ShelterLeopard
09-10-2009, 13:57
Hi folks.

After years of putting aside the desire to thru-hike the AT, I've decided to launch in 2010 nobo, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

As far as hiking goes, I've completed many short hikes, however usually lasting no more than a day. The walking wont be a problem (hopefully!) As far as camping goes, however, I'm a novice.

I have a targeted start date of the first or second week in March - As soon as the 2010 books/maps/guides come out I'll be gobbling them up as well.

I'll be perusing this (and other) site in the months to come. I've already read much of the information and advice that you folks have to offer. I'm sure that if I have a specific question, you'll be able to answer it! :D

Hopefully I'll see some of you on the trail next year!

The only advice I'm going to give you (because I'm sure you've had plenty) is GO FOR A LONG HIKE first. Not two days, more like four at the very least (I know a lot of people can't make enough room in their work schedules for a long shakedown hike), but you really should before you spend all the time, energy and money on gear, planning, and getting to the trail and putting a hold on your life.

First, a day hike (even a two day hike) is nothing like a two week hike. Especially in the remote areas where you can't turn back or go into town for a respite. So make sure that you REALLY want to hike before getting completely ready for a thru hike. Second, (aside from seeing if you actually like to hike), you should take all your gear on a shakedown overnight hike, test everything out and make sure it doesn't leak. Good luck! And see you on the trail.

Disney
09-10-2009, 14:07
you should take all your gear on a shakedown overnight hike, test everything out and make sure it doesn't leak. Good luck! And see you on the trail.

That's really good advice. Not everything works the way it's supposed to right out of the bag. You don't want to discover the shortcomings on your way to Neels gap.

ShelterLeopard
09-10-2009, 15:23
Yeah- it isn't fun to wake up in an inch of water, or pack two canisters of fuel and all hot water required foods, and realize it doesn't work.