PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys

inavacuum
08-29-2009, 18:56
I'm planning to go on a train hopping trip in October and I figured this would be a good place to ask about gear since I'd be carrying all of my supplies on my back. I'm looking for the best possible bag I can get for around $100. I need it to be a darker color, and as light/compressible as possible. I've never quite understood the down vs. synthetic argument, can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Midway Sam
08-29-2009, 19:00
Is Barney The Dinosaur Purple dark enough in color?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

Generally speaking, down will be lighter and possibly more "compressible".

Summit
08-29-2009, 19:49
Down is more compressible and lighter than synthetic.
Synthetic works well in drying wet clothing and is washable.
In your environment, down might be the best choice . . . except ...
Down is more expensive . . . unless you find a great sale item.

inavacuum
08-29-2009, 20:17
Well, I also don't want to have to worry about not getting it wet. Should I get a down sleeping bag, and it does happen to get wet, would it ruin and mildew without access to a clothes dryer?

Summit
08-29-2009, 22:30
Between condensation inside tents, and the possibility of water leaking into even good tents, I'd say that down bags are problematic. Others, I'm sure will disagree. All I can say, and the down bag proponents cannot argue with this, is that you can dry clothes very well inside synthetic bags, and you'd best not try it in down bags. :eek:

inavacuum
08-29-2009, 22:39
is that you can dry clothes very well inside synthetic bags, and you'd best not try it in down bags. :eek:

I'm not familiar with this process, can you post a link or something?

Midway Sam
08-29-2009, 22:43
I'm not familiar with this process, can you post a link or something?

Step 1: Put damp clothes down in your sleeping bag.
Step 2: Get inside your sleeping bag with your damp clothes.
Step 3: Let your body heat warm the air inside your sleeping bag thereby causing the moisture in your damp clothes to evaporate.

The reason this works with synthetic bags and not down is because the synthetic fibers used to fill the bag does not absorb water, therefore it escapes into the outside air. Down, on the other hand absorbs the moisture.

Summit
08-29-2009, 22:58
There are a couple of more options in addition to Midway Sam's excellent advice. If your clothes are just sweaty wet, not soaked, you can just wear them to bed. I've done this many times and never woke up with wet clothes nor been cold while drying them in this fashion.

Another option is to place the wet clothes (let's say soaked from rain) between your sleeping bag and a good insulated ground pad, like a ThermaRest or Big Agnes insulated air mattress. I've also done this many times and the clothes are usually dry in the morning. If you attempt this with a down bag, the wet will come right up through the sleeping bag on the bottom.

Ranc0r
08-29-2009, 23:07
Not to deflect from the down vs. synthetic fun, but perhaps someone should point out for our viewers that train hopping is exceedingly dangerous, and highly illegal. This isn't the 1920's, when every train stopped at every station along the way, and hobos could easily get on and off a slow moving train. Manifest freight is only moving slowly inside the yards, 35 mph is faster than you can run, and 70 mph for 12 straight hours can chill even the most seasoned body. Boxcars seldom are left open or even unlocked. Hoppers are very exposed and every engine has a radio.

Do yourself a favor - go for a hike and leave train hopping to Lee Marvin (Emperor of the North). And since no tent or tarp will keep you sheltered on a train moving at track speed, go with synthetic - a down bag WILL get wet and won't keep you warm - think about damp and cold in a 60 mph breeze for a few hours. They'll likely be prying your stiff carcass off the car frame.

Have a good trip.

Ranc0r

Wise Old Owl
08-29-2009, 23:30
Hey Midway Sam there was no mention of a draft tube behind the zipper on that bag.

Midway Sam
08-29-2009, 23:33
Hey Midway Sam there was no mention of a draft tube behind the zipper on that bag.

I've got that bag (and the 0* version) and I'm 99.99999% sure they have a draft collar. I can check when I get home, if I ever do. :mad:

Mags
08-29-2009, 23:39
FWIW, I know many people who use the Campmor bag and have been happy with it.

As another aside, in my miles of backpacking (all with a down bag except for first year), I have never had a problem. That includes AT hiking in an El Nino year. :O Many people who have similar (if not more) experience than myself are also advocates of down bags. Be sure to line the stuff sack with a garbage bag.

Damp (but not wet) clothing can be dried fine in a down bag. Then again, I wouldn't want any wet clothing in my bag.

In the end..it's just equipment. Don't get the bag wet either way. (see above about a stuff sack with a liner). The mountains are pretty cool no matter what is used. :)

modiyooch
08-30-2009, 08:22
Not to deflect from the down vs. synthetic fun, but perhaps someone should point out for our viewers that train hopping is exceedingly dangerous, and highly illegal. .
It's possible that he has a train hopper ticket. There is such a thing.

David@whiteblaze
08-30-2009, 14:43
It's possible that he has a train hopper ticket. There is such a thing.
Thats what i thought, instead of assuming that the guy is about to risk his life several times a day just for fun (w/o neccesity)

kanga
08-30-2009, 14:46
Thats what i thought, instead of assuming that the guy is about to risk his life several times a day just for fun (w/o neccesity)
where's the fun in that?

inavacuum
08-30-2009, 14:49
or maybe, I was asking for technical advice on gear, and only mentioned I was train hopping because it is relevant to the type of gear that will work the best, and I wasn't asking for anyone's opinion on what I am actually doing .

kanga
08-30-2009, 15:02
or maybe, I was asking for technical advice on gear, and only mentioned I was train hopping because it is relevant to the type of gear that will work the best, and I wasn't asking for anyone's opinion on what I am actually doing .
you are awesome! welcome to wb!:sun

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 15:29

Hahahahaha. You are my new hero on whiteblaze.

For what you are doing I'd go with synthetic. Possibly the Marmot Trestles 15 degree bag, although the blue/grey color it comes in may be too bright.

inavacuum
08-30-2009, 19:30
Thanks for the support! I'm going to try and make it to REI before labor day to see if they've got any decent bags going on "sale". I will update if I get anything. For anyone who is interested, we will also be making a short guerilla style documentary on our train adventures.

bigcranky
08-30-2009, 19:58
You are shooting gorillas on trains? For shame....

David@whiteblaze
08-30-2009, 20:41
naw... notice the spelling, gEUrilla not gOrilla;

Member of an irregular military force fighting small-scale, limited actions, in concert with an overall political-military strategy, against conventional military forces. Guerrilla tactics (http://www.whiteblaze.net/EBchecked/topic/580081/tactics) involve constantly shifting attack operations and include the use of sabotage and terrorism
Enclclopedia britannica.com

Blissful
08-30-2009, 20:42
I have never been able to dry wet stuff in a syntthetic bag. I know people have said it can be done but I was not successful. Maybe slightly damp from sweat, its ok, but not from rain.

David@whiteblaze
08-30-2009, 20:42
what a horrible spelling of encyclopedia...

bigcranky
08-31-2009, 09:15
naw... notice the spelling, gEUrilla not gOrilla;

Really? I hadn't noticed...:rolleyes:

David@whiteblaze
08-31-2009, 09:45
Really? I hadn't noticed...:rolleyes:
lol... yeah.