PDA

View Full Version : air travel and fuel

vonfrick
08-29-2009, 19:20
while working this summer at shaw's in maine i met several folks who had flown up there to section hike. we stock and sell all kinds of fuel to hikers and i was quite alarmed to learn that several of them did not need canister fuel for their jetboils (and the like) because they had packed them and checked them with their luggage!:eek: one man hiking with his teenage son had had his bearspray confiscated, but not the fuel that was right next to it in his pack...

i post this as a friendly reminder to anyone traveling by air in the future that these items are still indeed prohibited and for good reason.

David@whiteblaze
08-29-2009, 21:21
Wow... howd' they overlook that?

Dogwood
08-29-2009, 21:30
Commercial airlines confiscate my isobutane tanks whether they are in my checked or carry-on luggage. I have never gotten away with carrying fuel onto commercial airplanes when I have absently minded forgotten to remove it from my luggage. Not only is it illegal and dangerous for all involved on an airline but unless you want to be delayed by having all your gear and person searched by a hoard of concerned TSA agents don't do it!

I have learned, after having several pocket knives confiscated in this manner, that it's OK to include this item in CHECKED luggage. No knives in carry-on though!

Dogwood
08-29-2009, 21:31
Commercial airlines confiscate my isobutane tanks whether they are in my checked or carry-on luggage. I have never gotten away with carrying fuel onto commercial airplanes when I have absently minded forgotten to remove it from my luggage. Not only is it illegal and dangerous for all involved on an airline but unless you want to be delayed by having all your gear and person searched by a hoard of concerned TSA agents don't do it!

I have learned, after having several pocket knives confiscated in this manner, that it's OK to include this item in CHECKED luggage. No knives in carry-on though!

johnnybgood
08-29-2009, 21:38
Wow... howd' they overlook that?
Apparantly the TSO's aren't hikers and haven't a clue what they're looking at.

vonfrick
08-29-2009, 21:41

which is why i posted this bit of news. i was really shocked to see several hikers who supposedly knew what they were carrying, bring it on a plane.

mudhead
08-30-2009, 07:23
The other thing to consider. My Mother may be on that plane with you. It would be good if you did not endanger anyone when you come to Maine.

Jeff
08-30-2009, 07:38
:(

These hikers don't have a clue either. They put the safety of hundreds of people at risk. :(

Cookerhiker
08-30-2009, 08:00
I can't believe how thoughtless and dumb those "hikers" are.:eek: