PDA

View Full Version : Gear Help and questions

lazy river road
08-29-2009, 19:27
Hi every one, So im new to this site but have been reading a lot lately trying to get ready for my first over night trip. The question I have is in regards to water purification. Is a water filter better or a steri pen better. Is one more effective then the other? Do steri pens actually work? Im also looking into buying a pack. I read a lot on how new hikers always carry to much so how do I avoide this? What size pack should I get for weekend and hopefully some week long trips. Probally wouldent be going for any longer then that at this point. Thanks for all future advice

Midway Sam
08-29-2009, 19:32
:welcome

Filter vs. chemical vs. steripen vs. none is like going over to a truck enthusiast forum and asking Ford? Chevy? Dodge? Toyota? or Yugo?

It all comes down to what works for you. For me, I filter mainly because I'm never in a hurry, I like my water to taste like water and I'm afraid I'll get the runs if I don't filter.

As far as pack, that depends on the rest of your gear. For me, I use the same pack for an solo overnighter that I used for a solo 5-day trip that I carried all my food during. I have an REI UL45 (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47856709) (I think I bought it from Marta). It fits me and my gear perfectly.

Pedaling Fool
08-29-2009, 19:40
Hi every one, So im new to this site but have been reading a lot lately trying to get ready for my first over night trip. The question I have is in regards to water purification. Is a water filter better or a steri pen better. Is one more effective then the other? Do steri pens actually work? ...
Don't know, I drink untreated/unfiltered water.

...Im also looking into buying a pack. I read a lot on how new hikers always carry to much so how do I avoide this? What size pack should I get for weekend and hopefully some week long trips. Probally wouldent be going for any longer then that at this point. Thanks for all future advice
Recommend reading the below link, very good for getting your initial gear. Don't worry about perfection it won't happen, just get your stuff and start walking, everything else will come together.
(P.S. this link and many other helpful articles is located on the homepage on the left side under Articles.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=132311#post132311

lazy river road
08-29-2009, 19:42
The pack I have is an old frameless 2,500 cuin...is that big enough for a weekend trip or is it better to have a pack with a frame due to weight carrying purposes...is using a steri pen the same thing as filtering...are filters cheaper then steri pens...

BrianLe
08-29-2009, 19:55
I suggest searching this (and perhaps other) sites for common issues like "which water treatment is best". For example, a really hasty search turned up this whiteblaze thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52830

I don't mean this as a "shut up and search" response (!), just pointing out that most common issues have been thrashed out thoroughly already, don't need a host of new responses.