PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Boots Behind

Hooch
08-29-2009, 23:52
I'm thinking about finally making the change from boots to trail runners. However, I still have 3 concerns before I go and buy.

First, I wear a 4E shoe, so this makes finding shoes that fit a bit of a challenge sometimes. In my experience, New Balance shoes are best suited to wide feet. Any good suggestions for a New Balance trail runner? Or even a shoe that isn't New Balance and comes in 4E widths, for that matter.

Second, I still want my feet to stay dry. Anyone have a few good suggestions for good socks to keep my feet relatively dry while hiking if they get wet.

Third, does this mean that if I don't want stuff to get inside my shoes when I hike I have to get gaiters? :eek:

Thanks for any information or suggestions. :D

Midway Sam
08-30-2009, 00:03
I made the switch last fall and won't ever go back to the boots. My wife surprised me with these:

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMT840BO.htm

I wear 2E and they fit great.

As far as dry feet, I haven't tried yet, but it hasn't been that cold when I have worn them. I just wear merino wool and let them get damp and go on. Never had a blister and they dry quickly at camp.

I've heard good things about Sealskinz (http://www.rei.com/product/620085).

Summit
08-30-2009, 00:10
You guys got square feet! :p :D

Summit
08-30-2009, 00:18
The Moab Ventilator just comes in "wide". You'd probably have to try a pair on:

http://www.rei.com/product/748515

I don't wear gaiters and don't have a problem with scree getting in my shoes beyond reason. Once in a great while a pebble might find its way into my shoe and I have to remove it. A liner sock with Sealskinz work great in the rain.

Hooch
08-30-2009, 00:26
The Moab Ventilator just comes in "wide". Thanks for the suggestion. I saw these last week on REI's website and called the nice folks at Merrell. Their "wide" shoe is only a 2E. :mad: This is also true for Vasque as well.

NCYankee
08-30-2009, 00:33
Since you are in Charlotte, there is a New Balance store in Phillip's Place in South Park. I think they have a couple of the different trail runners in stock or at least enough to get a feel (and order cheaper online).

I also made a move to a wider trail runner after my Asolo's tore my feet up in May as we went through GA. I am in a wide Solomon trail runner that I absolutely love. It is light, comfortable, and really gives me the support that I need (I changed the sole because of things I heard about Solomon insoles).

That New Balance Store is a good place to check out.

MikenSalem
08-30-2009, 00:39
Ducks in disguise I bet youse guys quack in your sleep..:D. Summit says he used Seal skinz and a merino liner to keep dry. I seed it the other day Hey Summit - how thick are the liners? how big are the sox? I'm thinking of trying it. Hooch I never even seen any shoes that big you are the man!

MikenSalem
08-30-2009, 00:46
I've had to come in from bruising the bottoms of my feet on rocks, how well do the running shoes protect your feet? Although I walk like I'm flat footed I'm not, but I'm really rough on shoes and my feet.

mudhead
08-30-2009, 06:49
Asics, Brooks, and Adidas have running shoes in 4E. NB has more trailrunner type 4E stuff. Beware NB "gortex." Cook your feet. (mine anyway.)

Zappos has a search function by "wide" or by size. Give you an idea what is out there.

A hard insert helps with the rocks, but foot placement is where it is at.:sun

Summit
08-30-2009, 07:16
Running shoes are made for speed and offer little protection for rocks. Trail runners address rock protection some, but still built for speed. Cross-trainers usually add Vibram soles and fully address the protecting from rocks and traction on wet stuff.

My merino wool liner sock is a little thicker than a nylon dress sock. The Sealskinz are about the same thickness as a heavy wool outer sock, so if you buy your shoes with the traditional two socks room, i.e. 1/2 to a full size larger than what you wear, everything will work out.

Jeff
08-30-2009, 07:43
Hooch,

Since you live somewhat close to the AT I would recommend you visit one of the outfitters along the trail. Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus and Bluff Mountain Outfitter in Hot Springs, NC are experts about what works on the AT and both could get you into the right shoe for you.

bigcranky
08-30-2009, 09:10
Re: waterproofness. (If that's a word.)

In warm or cool weather, I like mesh trail runners, and I just let my feet get wet in the rain. Wool socks go a long way toward keeping my feet comfortable, and the shoes and socks dry quickly when it stops raining.

In very cold weather, I like a waterproof/breathable liner in my trail runners. If there is snow or a lot of mud, then I wear gaiters.

BigCat
08-30-2009, 09:45
I highly recommend the NB 908's (http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMT908OR.htm). They come in wide sizes (obviously) and are much tougher than the 800 series.

Just a Hiker
08-30-2009, 10:18
I have wide feet as well and I've also had success with the New Balance 908's. However, recently I tried the Keen low cut hiking shoe and I'm pretty happy with them.......their plenty wide enough and are holding up really well.

garlic08
08-30-2009, 12:36
I've only used the NB 8XX series and they are pretty flimsy, but I don't think you can beat the light weight and fit. My "base" pack weight is usually less than 10#, so I don't need any more stiffness or support. I'm not sure I'd like them with a 30# pack. Last year on the AT I tried Superfeet for the first time and I believe the extra support may have helped marginally on the rocks.

If I feel like keeping my feet dry, I stay home. Seriously, the shoes feel just as comfortable wet or dry, it really doesn't make much difference, so I don't even think about it. I don't even boulder hop any more--it's not worth the risk of a sprain or fall. I just walk right through. If the weather is dry, the feet will dry in an hour or two. I've used Sealskinz on day hikes in wet snow, and have used "bagtex" (plastic grocery bags) when caught in surprise blizzards, but only for short periods. I'd be concerned about breathing and skin damage in the long term.

I've haven't used gaiters either, since the first month of my first long hike. They seemed too finicky for what little benefit they provided, and affected the ventilation too much for me. They do make you look like a "real" hiker, though.

I hope the switch works well for you. It really opened up a new world of long-distance hiking for me.

BrianLe
08-30-2009, 13:19
I'm with BigCranky on the "let them get wet" plan; sealskinz are heavy and your feet are still wet, just warmer. IMO wool socks are generally a better plan (still warm when wet) unless you plan to be literally walking in water quite a bit, and I've even done that in wool socks. Goretex socks can be a good choice for certain conditions, but if it's long-term wet out, just accept that your feet will be wet. Not really a problem! At least for myself and many others. Some people put on something like bodyglide or hydropel; I've not tried this against wet feet.

I'm with garlic08 on almost everything he said (apart from the specific shoe choice; everyone's feet are different, what works for one is awful for another ...). Okay, ditto superfeet --- off-the-shelf orthodics work great if you have off-the-shelf feet, YMMV.

The comment on pack weight is dead on --- get your base weight low before switching to trail runners and you likely won't worry about how stiff they are or anything like that.

Ditto gaiters --- I wear long pant legs, long enough that they cover the top of my (low) shoes, and as a result I don't get much debris in my shoes, and it's one less thing to fiddle with. In fact, the one exception to that for me is when it is wet outside --- if not too cold, poncho and shorts are the right wet weather gear for me, but less trail debris seems to be kicked up when it's wet out.

skinewmexico
08-30-2009, 13:35
Tough to beat New Balance, and they are probably the only choice in a 4E. I've had both Merrell and Salomon trail runners with still enough soles to keep rocks from hurting, so I bet NB does too (and where I hike most of the time looks like the surface of the moon). If you're man enough, you can always get some of these gaiters - http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

Camping Dave
08-30-2009, 14:01
I've had to come in from bruising the bottoms of my feet on rocks, how well do the running shoes protect your feet? Although I walk like I'm flat footed I'm not, but I'm really rough on shoes and my feet.

Not very well, as you found out. Nothing beats full shank boots for keeping the bottoms of your feet feeling fine. Trail runners on not so rocky terrain. Boots on the really rocky stuff.

Doctari
08-30-2009, 14:20
I too want to switch to trail runners, but after a ill advised attempt to hike in "regular" runners (blisters, excruciationly painful soles, etc) I'm sort of gun shy.
My FSO dry weight is under 20 Lbs, so I could do it as far as the weight factor is concerned, and someday I will. Just a word to the wise: street shoes arnt made to walk on rocks & roots while carrying weight. BUT, I did last 3 days until they started to hurt or about 25 miles. Thankfully after a phone call or 2 home (Thanks Sharky & Nest!) I was able to have my boots waiting for me at Kincora on day 6.

Also remember that the break in period for boots should be done BEFORE you hit the trail, I think this may have helped me a little, at least it wouldn't have taken me 15 minutes to hobble up the Kincora driveway. I did a ONE day loaded hike in the runners about 5 days before leaving on my last AT hike, never again!

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 15:54
I started the PCT last year in New Balance shoes and liked them. I was initially concerned about a lack of protection, but I found that I walked more carefully when I wasn't banging around in a heavily protected pair of boots, so it wasn't as much of a problem as I thought.

Summit
08-30-2009, 22:27
I found that I walked more carefully when I wasn't banging around in a heavily protected pair of boots, so it wasn't as much of a problem as I thought.Exactly! I've had far less falls and ankle turns since abandoning high-top leather clunkers for trail runners. They force you to care where you plant your foot vs. feeling impervious to the terrain in the clunkers, only to be repeatedly reminded you are not.

MikenSalem
08-30-2009, 22:56
Summit get hold of yourself man, you just agreed with Jester! :eek:AHHhhhhh

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 22:59
Summit get hold of yourself man, you just agreed with Jester! :eek:AHHhhhhh

Sooner or later you're all going to agree with me, not because I'm necessarily right (although I am), but because you're all creeping closer to insanity.

MikenSalem
08-30-2009, 23:03
Oh no not me! It's not insanity if they're really out to get you.

big_feet
08-30-2009, 23:35
Hooch I took garlic08's advise and got NB 909's. I tried to get the 812's but was told NB was out so I got the 909's and love them. So lite they weight about as much as a pair of wet dirty socks.......I was wearing Vasgue sundowners way to heavy. I am size 14 EEEE.yes yes I know I dont need snow shoes....And thanks again garlic08

mudhead
08-31-2009, 04:47
Ah. Flipper feet.

Me too.

Marta
08-31-2009, 06:44
Wearing trail runners can give you a whole different definition of dry feet. I switched to them shortly after we moved to NC because boots were so freaking hot. I hated having my feet always being damp. I like wearing thin liner socks on their own, with mesh shoes. When I stop for a rest, I take off the shoes, and sometimes the socks, and air my feet for five or ten. It works great for keeping away hot spots and blisters.

As far as the chaff that falls into the shoes...I don't wear gaiters because of the heat issue. Stopping to air the feet is also a good time to dump out the accumulation of leaves and sticks.

David@whiteblaze
08-31-2009, 09:47
Oh no not me! It's not insanity if they're really out to get you.
yup... he's insane...

Chenango
08-31-2009, 11:04
I use Super Feet inserts in my Moab Ventilators. These add the support I need and I do not feel the rocks much!!

Summit
08-31-2009, 17:46
Summit get hold of yourself man, you just agreed with Jester! :eek:AHHhhhhhYeah, I hated to do that. You know, inflate his head and all. But dog gonnit he was right, for once! :eek: :p

Midway Sam
09-02-2009, 23:21
I highly recommend the NB 908's (http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMT908OR.htm). They come in wide sizes (obviously) and are much tougher than the 800 series.

You talked me into it BigCat. Actually my wife had been nagging me to give her a gift idea so I told her "a pair of New Balance 908s". Today I got home and there was a brand new pair of 2E 909s on the doorstep. Man, these are gonna be nice.

PHeller
09-05-2009, 13:22
Are the 909's anymore stiff in the sole than previous models?

I need a new pair of running/sport sneakers but I want something that'll work for backpacking as well, although I'm a heavier guy and I'm afraid if the soles are stiff enough that I'll kill my feet on PA rocks.