PDA

View Full Version : New Pack

Graywolf
08-29-2009, 23:55
I just did a section hike that was suppose to end in North Carolina but did not get as far as Neels Gap. Why? A failed pack. (I havn't givin up.)

I am now looking into new light weight packs and have been looking at the Golite Quest or Odyssey as my options. My last pack was at 6 pounds with almost 6000ci. OUCH!!!

The Odyssy is 3.10 pounds with 5800ci and 50lbs max weight
The Quest is at 3.3 with 45 lbs max weight and 4400 ci.

I know these are the figures from the Manufacture and sometimes those can be optimistic.

I also want to do some winter hiking this december so I need a pack to carry the bulk, however I am looking into lite weight gear options.

Would you say these are over kill on size or are they about the norm?

Captain
08-29-2009, 23:59
I just did a section hike that was suppose to end in North Carolina but did not get as far as Neels Gap. Why? A failed pack. (I havn't givin up.)

I am now looking into new light weight packs and have been looking at the Golite Quest or Odyssey as my options. My last pack was at 6 pounds with almost 6000ci. OUCH!!!

The Odyssy is 3.10 pounds with 5800ci and 50lbs max weight
The Quest is at 3.3 with 45 lbs max weight and 4400 ci.

I know these are the figures from the Manufacture and sometimes those can be optimistic.

I also want to do some winter hiking this december so I need a pack to carry the bulk, however I am looking into lite weight gear options.

Would you say these are over kill on size or are they about the norm?

i dont think thats too much, cuase you have bulky things like tent and sleeping back to stuff inside your pack,personally ive shaved enough crap gear to fit everything i need plus 2 weeks food in a 60 liter pack.. but i dont have room for the tent or sleeping back with out stuffing it so tightly i can see the seams straining.. i dont like to pack that tightly id rather be able to use the load cinchers to get everything snug

Captain
08-30-2009, 00:01
i dont think thats too much, cuase you have bulky things like tent and sleeping back to stuff inside your pack,personally ive shaved enough crap gear to fit everything i need plus 2 weeks food in a 60 liter pack.. but i dont have room for the tent or sleeping back with out stuffing it so tightly i can see the seams straining.. i dont like to pack that tightly id rather be able to use the load cinchers to get everything snug

Really need to pay the 10 bucks to be able to edit your posts..for me thats worth the 10 bucks alone id be having to do it so often

garlic08
08-30-2009, 12:46
ULA makes an excellent pack that many AT thru hikers use. Other lightweight, (and frameless) packs are available from Gossamer Gear, SixMoonsDesigns, Granite Gear.

skinewmexico
08-30-2009, 13:25
Never used those GoLite packs, but I do have the Jam2 and Pinnacle, and they have worked well with the proper, lighter loads. I recently switched to a ULA Catalyst for winter, and a ULA Circuit for the rest of the year, and they really carry the extra water we need where I live well. Can't say enough good about Brian and Casey at ULA; you email them with a problem, and they call you back. To free up pack room, I usually carry my tent (SMD Lunar Solo or Tarptent DR) in my outside, water bottle pocket. My Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus also carries well, now that it has an aluminum stay. And it's light.

David@whiteblaze
08-30-2009, 14:35
Really need to pay the 10 bucks to be able to edit your posts..for me thats worth the 10 bucks alone id be having to do it so often
well, not editing increases your post count.

Doctari
08-30-2009, 16:12
The ULA Catylist: 47 oz / 4,600 cu in / $235 Full featured, full suspension internal framed pack. Max carry Weight: 40lbs or less preferred Base Weight: 20lbs or less.

For more Info: http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

From my experience with the Ohm: the stated max weight of 40 Lbs is pretty close, so if going any over this, pick another pack. If you use a hydration bladder, get the sleeve for it, it's only a 1.4 Oz $5.00 option.

Also, ULA is closed till Dec 1st, so you won't get delivery till after then.
They ARE taking orders, but WILL NOT be billed, processed, or shipped until their return December 1, 2009. They will contact you to confirm, process, and ship your order at that time.

Graywolf
08-30-2009, 16:41
Thanks for the link Doc. Looks like the Catalyst wll go into my list of packs to check on. I like that you can modify and customize the pack (for the most part) any way you want it.

My pack was a true work horse, been through the Canyon Lands, parts of the CDT, Multi day desert hikes and across the northern waterless plains. It has seen it's day and I figure it is now to put it to rest.

My pack weight on the section hike was around 35#. I never actually weighed it but estmated by weight of items carryied + pack weight.
My new system is going to be geared to more light weight so this pack may be worth it.

You will be seeing me around the forum as I have a lot of questions concerning light weight packing.

As for now this is what I am looking at:

A pack in the 3# range
Henry Shires Squall 2 tarp/tent, miss my old one, Stolen last year.
mini Tangrea alcohol stove
still looking at winter light weight sleeping bags - Too many to chose from.
food and water and other small needs. You know the stuff.

Any one have any comments on this set up I am all ears, Errr..eyes

scope
08-30-2009, 17:16
I have the Quest and while it might not be optimal, it would handle 45 lbs just fine, although with the gear you're talking about, you shouldn't be above 30 unless you're bringing extra "beverage" weight. Its a real good pack for the dough. I used to use a GG pack and what I like most about the Quest is the large pocket that I use to hold my hammock & tarp separate from the rest of my stuff. I believe it would hold a Squall just fine. Plus, for the relatively light weight of the pack, the material seems very durable, compared to the sil on my GG. (both of similar weight)

skinewmexico
08-30-2009, 17:47
My ULA Catalyst is huge, I can't see myself using it unless it's winter, or a 10 day trip. I think my Circuit is a much more practical size.

Graywolf
08-30-2009, 19:08
Right now it looks like a toss between these 3 packs.I like the little more room of the Catalyst and the Odessey, however the quest dosnt fall far behind.

When I was on my section hike this August my plan was to resupply in Neels Gap than move on to Hiawassee, however I was considering changing the plans and grab a few extra supplyies and just make one stop in Franklin instead of two.

Being able to carry more food/water if I had to just seems to work out for me. I am still looking and comparing.

These are my top choices so far