PDA

View Full Version : Winter gear?

stickat04
07-26-2004, 00:00
I am going to do a flip flop. I have been off the trail three weeks for a ankle injury. I am trying to get back by august 1st. Should I take all my winter gear to Maine? I know I will need it for the Whites but do I need it in Maine?
Stick

Alligator
07-26-2004, 08:55
Are you going straight to Maine on August 1? Are you talking thru-hiker "winter" gear, or real winter gear? Knowing what you have for winter gear will help out immensely.

stickat04
07-26-2004, 09:22
Sorry. I am going to start at Baxter and head south. Mostly concerned with Sleeping bag. Will it be to warm in Maine for a 20 degree or to cold for a 45 degree? Before I get to the Whites I was ging to ship my 20 degree bag to me.

Alligator
07-26-2004, 10:03
August is a warm month in Maine, but you will be at higher elevations at various times. That's a bit of a tough question putting it between a 45 and 20 degree bag. Shelter? Warm clothes carried?

The record low for August at Gorham, NH is 32 and at Monson, ME 32. You will be higher up than these two locations. Personally, the warm clothes I carry are typically enough to boost my bag by at least 10 degrees (estimate). Often more depending on season. I would be more cautious and take the 20 deg. bag.

By Labor Day, nights tend to be very cool in Maine, but I expect that by then you will have reached NH. Best of Luck.

stickat04
07-28-2004, 00:09
Thanks for the reply I have decided to take the 20 degree bag since I will be sheltering it most of the time. I am leaving friday for bangor hope to see some fellow whiteblazers out there.