PDA

View Full Version : PM’s are not private!

Pedaling Fool
08-30-2009, 09:36
I don’t know what the original intent of the PM function was, but to me it’s nothing more than another form of email. And much of what I receive in this email account is SPAM from other WB’ers.

Every time I say something that pisses someone off they feel as though they need to "set me straight". I’m sick of it and I don’t see one problem in publicly posting that SPAM.

My PM box has a function, don’t abuse it because you’re a little too thin-skinned.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 09:43
Well John I don't believe I have ever "tried" to set u straight, but when I saw the title of the thread- it turned out to be about something else.

Its the internet what did you expect?

So what happened this time... who's the unlucky Pmmmer?

saimyoji
08-30-2009, 09:51
well....you can turn your PMs off.....or just take your own advice.....laugh off the wienies who can't take it and delete their PMs as they come. honestly, the fact that you're ranting like this here says alot about you not being much better then the ones you're ranting about. :rolleyes:

rickb
08-30-2009, 10:01
You might have the right, but I am thinking it better to move on.

I received a spat of most unwelcome e-mails over the past couple days as well. On reflection, I concluded that while the sentiments behind them were completely off base, there were genuine feelings behind them.

Best to leave such sleeping dogs lie, I think.

Posting the correspondence you received wouldn't serve a higher purpose, but it might cause real hurt. There are some fragile flowers out there.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 10:12
It does say something about John, We don't know each other but you are on a social web hosting group about backpacking. Reviewing your posts in the last ten minutes, There is no surprise here, In person I suspect you are anti social ...around people you don't know.

Remember this?

I do pass up the feed stations -- every time -- without criticizing, I just say, "no thanks" - with a smile and both the other hikers and the providers treat me as if I'm some kind of weirdo and pestering me and asking why I don't stop, yelling wait, wait, wait... as if there's something wrong with me. VERY ANNOYING!

Clearly that is the statement of others who would like to get to know you better and you consider stopping for people a waste of time. Even the subsequent posts & replies wondered what you are going on about.

I know you like it here at WB, but if you get so angered by your PM's why not take a break and find something else to do on your computer, Try this for something different. http://www.milblogging.com/

Then come back with a new look on life, and perhaps tone it down a notch. Reach out to your freinds. Oh and by the way, I am sharing what I do here at WB! When I take a break for a few days or weeks the Owl Avatar is sleeping.

russb
08-30-2009, 10:24
there is always this check box in your options. I'd suggest using it.

Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators

Pedaling Fool
08-30-2009, 10:24
You guys are reading way too much into all this, I'm simply saying: Don't expect your PM to be private when you send me a PM because you're too thin-skinned. Period.

They are not private, I WILL NOT disable my Pm function, because I do receive good PMs and I will continue to delete the stupid ones. However, don't think that I consider them private and I may post them.

Wise Old Owl, I'm guessing you're not a Psychologist, but keep trying:D

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 10:28
I am not a Psychologist.

Gaiter
08-30-2009, 10:32
if you don't want something seen then don't put it on the internet, it doesn't matter where you put it

Pedaling Fool
08-30-2009, 10:38
I am not a Psychologist.
Gee...I'm glad you cleared that up:eek:

yaduck9
08-30-2009, 10:47
We are all guilty of bad behavior at one time or another.

I would think that PM's would be private. I can see also that some private messages may be filled with emotional content rather then rational thought, thus causing an equivalent response. Posting a PM would be the social equivalent to dropping the A-Bomb. Once you release there's no going back and takes a long time to recover from, on both sides.

I tend to follow the same rule of interaction on the internet as I do in public life. Don't say anything you would not want your wife or mother to hear. It precludes a number of problems.

We are only posting our thoughts and opinions on, in the grand scheme of things, trivial matters.

None of this is any real big deal.

kanga
08-30-2009, 10:50
pm's aren't private. you type stupid **** to somebody, it's your own fault. people need to put their big boy pants on and quit cryin' cause their pansy ass got called out. that is all.

Skyline
08-30-2009, 10:52
Except possibly in cases of criminal behavior and/or national security or other kinds of threats, IMHO private e-mails and private PMs should remain private communication. Because, well, they were sent with the intent to be private.

John, if the e-mails in question rise to those levels you should probably be talking to law enforcement about them. Otherwise, why make them public? What would be gained?

(And I haven't sent an e-mail or PM to you since, um, never.) :sun

TD55
08-30-2009, 10:57
I am not a Psychologist.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

PSy BaSS
08-30-2009, 11:02
Why don't i get any PM's....i feel left out!!!!

BobTheBuilder
08-30-2009, 11:03
We are all guilty of bad behavior at one time or another.

Not me, I'm prefect.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 11:03
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

I found that incredibly funny!:D

Wait John, your first post was in bold, caps, and large (don't need your old man reading glasses) and we the audience is reading too much into it. Hmmm, Did you get your first cup of coffee this morning?

Goes back to my first question see as you want to post poorly written PM's that should not be private - go ahead, which one set you off?

emerald
08-30-2009, 11:04
There are at least two basic approaches to PMs and I can see John's point. By not disabling PMs or permitting them from only certain individuals, he makes himself accessible to everyone. By leaving open the possibility he may post them, he has a recourse should others bother him with certain kinds of PMs. Still, he'll get some he'd rather not read.

I've taken another approach. I have a contacts list. Who's on it is constantly changing and it does take time to maintain it. There may be people who have wished to send me a PM, but were unable. The upside is I rarely get unwelcome PMs. Anyone who wants to communicate with me can, but some need to put what they have to say where everyone can see it.

PSy BaSS
08-30-2009, 11:11
G*ddamn, you people are lame. I take my permanent ban as a badge of honor, proof that I'm a real human being.

why did you get banned....i once got suspended from school for selling fireworks!!

can the mods read PM's or are they completely private till their posted??

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 11:11
Oh by the Emerald the avatar is done... How do you want it back ( cant attache to PM)

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 11:15
why did you get banned....i once got suspended from school for selling fireworks!!

can the mods read PM's or are they completely private till their posted??

Thats what I thought this was about... Honest the mods in red do not have that capabilty, the owners and Mods with black names have hinted once in the past that was possible, but who has the time for that? Unlikely.

Pedaling Fool
08-30-2009, 11:17
I found that incredibly funny!:D

Wait John, your first post was in bold, caps, and large (don't need your old man reading glasses) and we the audience is reading too much into it. Hmmm, Did you get your first cup of coffee this morning?

Goes back to my first question see as you want to post poorly written PM's that should not be private - go ahead, which one set you off?
Yeah, probably a mistake to make the print too big, I was a little agitated, but doesn't change my basic premise that PM'ing someone to "set them straight" as if you're on a moral high ground is wrong and not private.

I'm a happy person and you're right about one thing...I hadn't had my first cup of coffee when I posted this thread:sun

And I have pissed on myself in the woods:)

And I don't need a weatherman to tell me Global Warming is BS:eek:

rickb
08-30-2009, 11:19

I think there should be an exception to posting another's PMs:

After getting more than 5 e-mails within 24 hours on a single topic from a single individual (none worthy of a reply), those e-mails should all be posted to their own thread for group input and therapy.

Fair warning?

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 11:22
Well Rickb you hav something there, I can't imagine PM anyone that much. But what the heck.

emerald
08-30-2009, 11:23
Emerald, the avatar is done... How do you want it back (can't attach to PM)?

You know you're on my contacts list and you also have my email address. Check your PMs. Please email it.

Thanks,

Emerald

saimyoji
08-30-2009, 11:27
G*ddamn, you people are lame. I take my permanent ban as a badge of honor, proof that I'm a real human being.

kirk? is that you?

saimyoji
08-30-2009, 11:32
lol. at least you're persistent.

kanga
08-30-2009, 11:33
lol. at least you're persistent.
don't you mean consistent?

saimyoji
08-30-2009, 11:36
don't you mean consistent?

no. i meant what i said. but what you said is also accurate.

don't you have some cows to go tip or something? :)

kanga
08-30-2009, 11:40
nah. i actually have the weekend off. it's my day to annoy the living **** out of people on the internet.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 11:42
:DI am missing something here PM me...:eek:

Pacific Tortuga
08-30-2009, 11:43

Is that you MS ? only one post :-?

kanga
08-30-2009, 11:44
:DI am missing something here PM me...:eek:
pm sent...:D

kanga
08-30-2009, 11:47
atrain is banned?..

warraghiyagey
08-30-2009, 12:02
. . .I’m sick of it . . . don’t abuse it because you’re a little too thin-skinned.

ummmmmm. . . . . holy hissy-fit batman. . . . you know there are at least three other things to do in this world other than post on WB if it bothers you. . .

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 12:03
Holy Dunno Robin what are they?

warraghiyagey
08-30-2009, 12:07
Kickin Cats
Writin Christmas Cards and
Fingerpants. . .

ed bell
08-30-2009, 12:21
atrain is banned?..Not that I know of. The list of banned users is probably a lot shorter than people think.

kanga
08-30-2009, 12:22
thanks ed. i was just confused by inner self's post. nothing new.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 12:30
Heck if Mountain Dew can come back just about anyone can.

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2009, 12:34
Actually, I think that in many of the cases where someone writes someone privately to complain about some of their posts it is because they may want to provide the guy with some insight or correction, but they don't necessarily want to publicly embarrass the guy or point out his mistakes publicly, especially when they are particularly foolish ones. In other words, folks sometimes tell someone something privately because they don't really feel like making the guy look like an ass in public.

If the recipient of these letters doesn't want to acknowledge them, that's his business. And if he wants to publish them for all to see, well I guess he could do that, too, tho in so doing, he might make himself look pretty stupid.

But at the end of the day, people will do what they will.

kanga
08-30-2009, 12:34
that was very insightful. thank you jack.

Tin Man
08-30-2009, 12:39
Actually, I betcha more unsolicited PMs are nasty rather than friendly. I have received my share of downright nasty PMs from people with no sense of humor. I resorted to turning off PMs to all but my contacts and friends. Not that I can't take a nasty remark, I just prefer they post them where all can read and someone else can clean them up if they care to. :D

kanga
08-30-2009, 12:42
i never get any nasty pm's. i wonder why? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2009, 12:43
That's pretty funny, TM. I also get my share of comments from downright nasty humorless people.

Except in my case, the comments are usually made on the public Forums! :D

My private correspondence is usually pretty good, and actually, most of it is with Moderators, meaning it is prompt, civil, and usually right on the mark.

Mags
08-30-2009, 12:46
Paul Magnanti does tend to be private at times.

Sorry...wrong PM..carry on.

TD55
08-30-2009, 12:56
This site consistently reminds me of what a dumb a$$ I am. I thought PM ment private message and that would mean the message was private. I learn something everytime I come here. Still not sure what private means, but it doesn't seem to mean what I thought it did.

emerald
08-30-2009, 13:02
There are at least two basic approaches to PMs...

In tweaking my options today, I was reminded of an alternative which might appeal to some. The visitor messaging system makes possible what amounts to public messages without posting them to threads. There's an option for limiting them to only contacts and moderators, but notification may be lacking.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2009, 13:06
I don’t know what the original intent of the PM function was, but to me it’s nothing more than another form of email. And much of what I receive in this email account is SPAM from other WB’ers.

Every time I say something that pisses someone off they feel as though they need to "set me straight". I’m sick of it and I don’t see one problem in publicly posting that SPAM.

My PM box has a function, don’t abuse it because you’re a little too thin-skinned.

i agree. totally

A-Train
08-30-2009, 13:06
This site consistently reminds me of what a dumb a$$ I am. I thought PM ment private message and that would mean the message was private. I learn something everytime I come here. Still not sure what private means, but it doesn't seem to mean what I thought it did.

You and me both. When I occasionally use it, it serves as a way to communicate with one person without the whole cyberworld needing to read, like if asking someone about a section of trail near their house or something that would only pertain to them.

I always thought it was a courteous way to get the info you needed without bothering everyone else, but apparently nothing is worth saying anymore unless it's appropriate for the whole village.

kanga
08-30-2009, 13:08
You and me both. When I occasionally use it, it serves as a way to communicate with one person without the whole cyberworld needing to read, like if asking someone about a section of trail near their house or something that would only pertain to them.

I always thought it was a courteous way to get the info you needed without bothering everyone else, but apparently nothing is worth saying anymore unless it's appropriate for the whole village.
which would be lovely if people would use it for that reason. if someone sends a nasty msg via pm and abuses it's original intent, then they deserve to get called out on it.

Bearpaw
08-30-2009, 13:12
Actually, I betcha more unsolicited PMs are nasty rather than friendly.

I don't get many PM's, but the ones I get are generally friendly. Only one time have I had some unfriendly PM's, all from one person who was upset about being on moderated status. Most of the PM's I get are like those A-Train mentions.

What I get in PM form, I respect as being private.

emerald
08-30-2009, 13:15

There are some things better communicated privately, other things better not communicated at all.

The number of users has grown and contact lists may become increasingly popular.

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2009, 13:15
Actually, the quickest and most effective way to make the website more civil would be requiring people to post all of their comments, both public and private, under their real names.

Of course we'd lose 95% of our regulars that way, but so be it. :D

Bearpaw
08-30-2009, 13:18
Actually, the quickest and most effective way to make the website more civil would be requiring people to post all of their comments, both public and private, under their real names.

Naw, we just wouldn't know who 95% of the posters suddenly become. I mean, who in the world is Shawn Basil? Or Kaiser Sose? :confused:

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 13:18
Uhhh You wish - what a mistake that would be Jack.

Mark:D

A-Train
08-30-2009, 13:22

I agree, "Jack". :D

neighbor dave
08-30-2009, 13:40
which would be lovely if people would use it for that reason. if someone sends a nasty msg via pm and abuses it's original intent, then they deserve to get called out on it.
i agree wif kanga!!:welcome

neighbor dave
08-30-2009, 13:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmdRauWVbwg

Dances with Mice
08-30-2009, 14:14
Personal conversations and - some - phone calls are private.

What happens to handwritten messages after you mail them or electronic communications after you hit "Send" is completely out of your control. It doesn't matter if it's called a Private Message or an e-mail or even a Top Secret Super Duper Private Message. There should be no expectation of privacy and you should not be surprised to see those words again in other communications, on the internet or perhaps in court.

That's what the Legal Department at work continuously reminds us minions.

The Old Fhart
08-30-2009, 14:25
Bearpaw-"Naw, we just wouldn't know who 95% of the posters suddenly become. I mean, who in the world is Shawn Basil? Or Kaiser Sose? :confused:"

Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone. :D

TD55
08-30-2009, 14:40

So you don't know the meaning of "private message" and decide that it is spam. Now that it is spam, it's ok to use it as a tool to humiliate or tattle tail on the person who sent it or otherwise void any trust, honor or respect affiliated with keeping a private matter private. All this on the decision that is made that the private message isn't really private, but spam.

And LW can make over 20,000 post and whine in agreement. I would think that after 20,000 post it might be reasonalble to assume that you are going to get some negative, goofy, etc. type pm's. Shouldn't mean you have to go on the "blabbermouth list".

kanga
08-30-2009, 14:44
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/ausador/Whambulance-Emo-gency.jpg

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 15:40
Kickin Cats
Fingerpants. . .

Fingerpants?!? How do I get in on this fingerpants action?

Hmmm. I read John Gault's post as a bit of a threat -- they aren't "private," so I'll post them if I feel like it. I could be wrong.

Every once in a while I'll send a PM to a member because I don't want that info out there for every single member to read, like the time I sent the phone number of the bank manager here in town to a member.

There are times when I'll send a private message to a person with whom I strongly disagree about something, but that something is not the point of the thread and I don't want to derail it.

I don't expect that anything online is truly private, but I have the luxury of knowing that very little of what I send is worth repeating.

Dances with Mice
08-30-2009, 16:11
So you don't know the meaning of "private message" and decide that it is spam. Now that it is spam, it's ok to use it as a tool to humiliate or tattle tail on the person who sent it or otherwise void any trust, honor or respect affiliated with keeping a private matter private. All this on the decision that is made that the private message isn't really private, but spam.

And LW can make over 20,000 post and whine in agreement. I would think that after 20,000 post it might be reasonalble to assume that you are going to get some negative, goofy, etc. type pm's. Shouldn't mean you have to go on the "blabbermouth list".Once you send someone a gift, or a written / electronic communication, it then becomes their property and they can decide how to use it. They can keep it private, use it construcively, toss it in the trash, show their friends and neighbors what they got, or send it to someone else. What you believe they should do is irrelevant.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2009, 17:01
And LW can make over 20,000 post and whine in agreement. I would think that after 20,000 post it might be reasonalble to assume that you are going to get some negative, goofy, etc. type pm's. Shouldn't mean you have to go on the "blabbermouth list".

i didn't "whine" in agreement. i plainly agree. i'll do what i want with PMs. ain't none of your business sweety

TD55
08-30-2009, 17:27
Once you send someone a gift, or a written / electronic communication, it then becomes their property and they can decide how to use it. They can keep it private, use it construcively, toss it in the trash, show their friends and neighbors what they got, or send it to someone else. What you believe they should do is irrelevant.

Thanks for the legalize. I was approaching the topic from the trust, honor, respect perspective. Oops, I still live in a world where that stuff counts for more than the legalize stuff.

TD55
08-30-2009, 17:37
i didn't "whine" in agreement. i plainly agree. i'll do what i want with PMs. ain't none of your business sweety

Well if you don't want it to be mine or anyone elses business you shouldn't post it. Read TAK's post, he 'splains it.

What that mean when you call man "sweety"? Is it meant to insult? Maybe aggressive form of whine?

Lone Wolf
08-30-2009, 17:41
Well if you don't want it to be mine or anyone elses business you shouldn't post it. Read TAK's post, he 'splains it.

What that mean when you call man "sweety"? Is it meant to insult? Maybe aggressive form of whine?

thought you were a girl. it's a term of endearment

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 17:46
I am not a Psychologist.
but I did stay at a Holiday Express:D

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 17:48
pm's aren't private. you type stupid **** to somebody, it's your own fault. people need to put their big boy pants on and quit cryin' cause their pansy ass got called out. that is all.
Don't sugar coat it, tell me how you really feel.

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 17:52
Actually, I think that in many of the cases where someone writes someone privately to complain about some of their posts it is because they may want to provide the guy with some insight or correction, but they don't necessarily want to publicly embarrass the guy or point out his mistakes publicly, especially when they are particularly foolish ones. In other words, folks sometimes tell someone something privately because they don't really feel like making the guy look like an ass in public.

If the recipient of these letters doesn't want to acknowledge them, that's his business. And if he wants to publish them for all to see, well I guess he could do that, too, tho in so doing, he might make himself look pretty stupid.

But at the end of the day, people will do what they will.
Well said ....

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 17:53
i never get any nasty pm's. i wonder why? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
Most of the smart ones are scared of ya:eek:

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 17:54
Hey I'm too lazy to use multiple quotes. OK????

warraghiyagey
08-30-2009, 17:54
You never PM me. . . :mad:

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 17:57
You never PM me. . . :mad:
we never talk anymore

warraghiyagey
08-30-2009, 17:57
I want to talk about my feelings. . .

Tin Man
08-30-2009, 18:01
http://www.toonpool.com/user/997/files/innermost_feelings_knight_344035.jpg

saimyoji
08-30-2009, 18:02
I want to talk about my feelings. . .

but you're not real....how can you feel...or did you mean sheepdog feeling you....in that case maybe you better keep it in PMs. :eek:

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 18:02
Inconceivable

warraghiyagey
08-30-2009, 18:34
but you're not real....how can you feel...or did you mean sheepdog feeling you....in that case maybe you better keep it in PMs. :eek:

I don't talk about my feelings during PMs. . .

vonfrick
08-30-2009, 18:56
Fingerpants?!? How do I get in on this fingerpants action?

send him a pm;)

I don't talk about my feelings during PMs. . .

when i have PMS....oh nevermind :mad:

Dances with Mice
08-30-2009, 19:12
Thanks for the legalize. I was approaching the topic from the trust, honor, respect perspective. Oops, I still live in a world where that stuff counts for more than the legalize stuff.You seem to confuse 'reality' with what I assume you mean to be 'legalese'. Do you realize that you've just described yourself as a con man's wet dream?

SassyWindsor
08-30-2009, 19:18
Now that PM's are mentioned I will say I was forewarned from another member, as well as a trusted friend, about the sickos (both representing to be male and female-who knows?) hitting on females via PM's. Upon joining I promptly disabled them.

I would suggest this to anyone who doesn't want to be "set straight" as well.

TOW
08-30-2009, 19:33

My PM box has a function, don’t abuse it because you’re a little too thin-skinned.horse manure........yeah, that's right!

YoungMoose
08-30-2009, 19:36
im not getting involved with this bs

Skidsteer
08-30-2009, 19:52

Too late. You posted so your name is on the list. :p

Gaiter
08-30-2009, 20:15
copy paste and forward are just too easy (for most of yall)

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 21:42
You are very wise young moose. even though I don't believe in moose.

The Weasel
08-30-2009, 21:47
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:KhBqr9vX7YF36M:http://traitorjoe.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/moose.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://traitorjoe.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/moose.jpg&imgrefurl=http://traitorjoe.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/delicious-moose-burgers/&usg=__S8Z3zrrVYIE8YgCttsHbo4aYrzg=&h=440&w=468&sz=49&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=KhBqr9vX7YF36M:&tbnh=120&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmoose%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D 1T4GGLL_enUS334US335)

This is not a moose.

TW

FritztheCat
08-30-2009, 21:55
Kickin Cats
Fingerpants. . .

Why is it always the cats? How about mice for a change? You can kick them further. :D

sheepdog
08-30-2009, 21:55
http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:KhBqr9vX7YF36M:http://traitorjoe.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/moose.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://traitorjoe.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/moose.jpg&imgrefurl=http://traitorjoe.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/delicious-moose-burgers/&usg=__S8Z3zrrVYIE8YgCttsHbo4aYrzg=&h=440&w=468&sz=49&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=KhBqr9vX7YF36M:&tbnh=120&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmoose%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D 1T4GGLL_enUS334US335)

This is not a moose.

TW
that is correct. it is an obvious photo shop forgery.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 22:01
Why is it always the cats? How about mice for a change? You can kick them further. :D

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/opus_bill.gif Ask a wharg.....

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 22:04
Now that PM's are mentioned I will say I was forewarned from another member, as well as a trusted friend, about the sickos (both representing to be male and female-who knows?) hitting on females via PM's. . .

Man! I can't believe it's never even occurred to me to do this. What have I been thinking?!?

warraghiyagey
08-30-2009, 23:29
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/opus_bill.gif Ask a wharg.....

http://www.brcv-gun.org/idpa/01142006/Opus3.gif

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 00:05
that is correct. it is an obvious photo shop forgery.

And this is not a pipe.

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:pPEs4hJHyJlTzM::www.artinthepicture.c om/artists/Rene_Magritte/pipe.jpeg&h=78&w=111&usg=__qddB4KguNbAagQ5h5OzPBWpvaCU= (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.artinthepicture.com/artists/Rene_Magritte/pipe.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.artinthepicture.com/paintings/Rene_Magritte/This-Is-Not-A-Pipe/&h=311&w=444&sz=64&tbnid=pPEs4hJHyJlTzM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthis%2Bis%2Bnot%2Ba%2Bpipe&usg=__aYsD_cUTkh_m670EUnX4uXTkqZI=&ei=7EubSvOIOqj0nQeoueyVCA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image)

kanga
08-31-2009, 08:17
Thanks for the legalize. I was approaching the topic from the trust, honor, respect perspective. Oops, I still live in a world where that stuff counts for more than the legalize stuff.
if somebody sends you an idiotic pm cussing you out and ranting and raving then they've already shown disrespect to you. if you're going to whine, at least throw some rationality in there as well.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 08:51
Damnit all! I was not online all weekend long (chef's are kinda busy on the weekends) so i missed all the drama! Can we get it cranked up again? I want to PM someone and piss them off too! Come on guys! Let me in the club. Like me! Please!!:p

Fine. Screw you all.

You too Gator.;)

Bearpaw
08-31-2009, 09:05
Damnit all! I was not online all weekend long (chef's are kinda busy on the weekends) so i missed all the drama! Can we get it cranked up again?

No. :banana

chefjason
08-31-2009, 09:06
No. :banana

ouch. that really hurt man. i have half a mind to PM you and set you straight.

kanga
08-31-2009, 09:09
Damnit all! I was not online all weekend long (chef's are kinda busy on the weekends) so i missed all the drama! Can we get it cranked up again? I want to PM someone and piss them off too! Come on guys! Let me in the club. Like me! Please!!:p

Fine. Screw you all.

You too Gator.;)

go here for hazing:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34922 :D

CowHead
08-31-2009, 10:05
so who has PMS over PMsing

Moe
08-31-2009, 11:52
I don't see the problem with sending someone a PM if you are offended/didn't agree with what they had said. It's much better than junking up someones thread with off-topic banter.

Jester2000
08-31-2009, 12:15
I don't see the problem with sending someone a PM if you are offended/didn't agree with what they had said. It's much better than junking up someones thread with off-topic banter.

Exactly, Moe -- I agree. Even though I have to admit that off-topic banter is kind of my specialty.

The Old Fhart
08-31-2009, 12:25
Jester2000-"Exactly, Moe -- I agree. Even though I have to admit that off-topic banter is kind of my specialty."Oh, I'm sorry, I read it fast and thought this thread was entitled "BMs should be private". :eek:

chefjason
08-31-2009, 12:35
Oh, I'm sorry, I read it fast and thought this thread was entitled "BMs should be private". :eek:

Well they should be...unless they are of epic proportion! Then they should be shared with the awe and wonder!

Dances with Mice
08-31-2009, 12:55
i have half a mind ... Yeah, go ahead and brag.

Dances with Mice
08-31-2009, 12:56
Then they should be shared with the awe and wonder! Don't know The Awe and I don't think Wonder would appreciate it as much as you think.

PSy BaSS
08-31-2009, 13:39
We have a PM running our country!!

Jester2000
08-31-2009, 14:05
We have a PM running our country!!

Is Kevin Rudd private?

Summit
08-31-2009, 14:43
This site consistently reminds me of what a dumb a$$ I am. I thought PM ment private message and that would mean the message was private. I learn something everytime I come here. Still not sure what private means, but it doesn't seem to mean what I thought it did.Exactly! Change it to read "Personal Messages" if they are not going to treated with guarded status as "Private." As is, it's like being asked to step into a room for a "private" conversation with someone, encouraged to reveal personal sensitive matters, and later to find out your conversation was recorded and put on YouTube! To me, "Private" means . . . well . . . "Private." Guess that makes me a dumb a$$ too! BTW, I've been on numerous blogs over the years and this is the first one I've been involved with that doesn't treat PMs as strictly private, with very harsh violation rules.

kanga
08-31-2009, 14:46
Exactly! Change it to read "Personal Messages" if they are not going to treated with guarded status as "Private." As is, it's like being asked to step into a room for a "private" conversation with someone, encouraged to reveal personal sensitive matters, and later to find out your conversation was recorded and put on YouTube! To me, "Private" means . . . well . . . "Private." Guess that makes me a dumb a$$ too!
omg! can you take it any more over the top? jeez louise! nobody's dragging personal sensitive information out of anybody. you write what you choose to write in a pm. you act like somebody's put a gun to your head and made you write a nasty message to somebody. are you such a drama queen in real life?

modiyooch
08-31-2009, 14:49
verbal or electronic, secret or not, a one on one conversation isn't typically broadcasted.

Summit
08-31-2009, 14:50
omg! can you take it any more over the top? jeez louise! nobody's dragging personal sensitive information out of anybody. you write what you choose to write in a pm. you act like somebody's put a gun to your head and made you write a nasty message to somebody. are you such a drama queen in real life?Easy there now, check your meds! Talk about over-reacting by over-reacting! :D

kanga
08-31-2009, 14:57
Easy there now, check your meds! Talk about over-reacting by over-reacting! :D
i called my dr to make sure the meds were working and i got you one of these while i was on the line:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/maiabelladona/wambulance.jpg

don't worry. they'll be there soon.

PSy BaSS
08-31-2009, 16:20
Anyone thought about the am...it comes before the pm!!

Summit
08-31-2009, 17:30
i called my dr to make sure the meds were working and i got you one of these while i was on the line:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/maiabelladona/wambulance.jpg

don't worry. they'll be there soon.How sweet and thoughtful of you. They're here now. They really helped me through your rejection. I feel I have a reason to live again! I gave them your billing address . . . all is well! :D

chefjason
08-31-2009, 18:00
Whaawhoo! It is gettin' good now. "In this corner, weighing in at a soft furry 225#, a Kangaroo!!" "And in this corner. Weighing in at a ...well, a MOUNTAIN!! It's Suuuuuummiiiiiit!" Ding ding.

Summit
08-31-2009, 18:06
Whaawhoo! It is gettin' good now. "In this corner, weighing in at a soft furry 225#, a Kangaroo!!" "And in this corner. Weighing in at a ...well, a MOUNTAIN!! It's Suuuuuummiiiiiit!" Ding ding.Great job of taking the pressure off of me . . . just remember, you're the one who said she weighs in at 225# . . . heaven help you! Might as well slit your throat now dude! :D

chefjason
08-31-2009, 18:09
Great job of taking the pressure off of me . . . just remember, you're the one who said she weighs in at 225# . . . heaven help you! Might as well slit your throat now dude! :D

No dude! That is what a REAL kangaroo weighs!! Not that lovely lady that lives just around the corner from me! (said with fear and trembling):o

Panzer1
08-31-2009, 19:40
What we really need is a new kind of private message tha self destructs after reading. Kind of like on "Mission Impossible", the message starts smoking and self destructs after you read it.

Panzer :D

rickb
08-31-2009, 19:43
What we really need is a new kind of private message tha self destructs after reading. Kind of like on "Mission Impossible", the message starts smoking and self destructs after you read it.

Panzer

Yes! Or just dissolve from all the bile before you open them.

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 19:46
Mostly it's about the air. . .

Dances with Mice
08-31-2009, 20:13
Rapelcgvba Bssref Cynhfvoyr Qravnovyvgl.

Cool AT Breeze
08-31-2009, 20:14
Zgsmn mbcgdkkklui ncvfzsaeomn?

FritztheCat
08-31-2009, 20:16
0111000111101010001101010?

Lone Wolf
08-31-2009, 20:21
send me a PM showing your ass, in a verbal way, i'll post it for all to see and/or forward it my closest aquaintances. at least i'll say what i gotta say to ya in a regular post for all to see. folks that use PMs for whining, pissing, moaning, etc. are fall ballbags

ShoelessWanderer
08-31-2009, 20:30

Don't worry, I don't get them either! :)

Moe
08-31-2009, 22:14
Sarcasm is very hard for some people to sense on the internet. It cracks me up sometimes.

Skidsteer
08-31-2009, 22:16
Sarcasm is very hard for some people to sense on the internet. It cracks me up sometimes.

Yeah, sure.

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 22:17
Yeah, sure.
What's that supposed to mean?

Summit
08-31-2009, 22:27
What's that supposed to mean?It means there is indeed a difference between a duck after all!

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 22:28
It means there is indeed a difference between a duck after all!
African or European? . . .

saimyoji
08-31-2009, 22:30

i don't know......

:eek:

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 22:31
i don't know......

:eek:
Poop. . . . :(

Tin Man
08-31-2009, 22:42

you talkin' about a duck or a swalllow??

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 22:46
Yes. . . . . .

Tin Man
08-31-2009, 22:50
Yes. . . . . .

plop thickens :-?

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:05
It means there is indeed a difference between a duck after all!
Muscovy is the tastiest. yummy!

Is that supposed to be a race joke? So now we have racism even among the fowl world? Sheeez Luise!

Swallow! Did some one say swallow? Has the topic changed and I was not informed?!

Frosty
08-31-2009, 23:10
Sarcasm is very hard for some people to sense on the internet. It cracks me up sometimes.Sarcasm is a tricky thing on the internet. Saying one thing and meaning another works better when you have visual and audio clues. Simply typing the opposite of what you really think doesn't cut it on the internet.

That is why it is very hard for most people to write internet sarcasm and why most fail spectacularly. They say sometime incredibly stupid meaning it to be sarcasm and everybody reads it as assumes they are as stupid as the stuff they wrote.

Then the would-be sarcasm writer gets into a huff and claims everyone has no sense of humor when in fact he has no sense of what the readers see (simply him saying stupid stuff).

Present company excluded, of course (harrumph harrumph)

Panzer1
08-31-2009, 23:11
when you create a PM we could have an option where the author checks a certain box which "locks" to contents of the PM box so that it disables the "cut" and "copy" option. Then no one could repost your PM.

Panzer

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:13
Sarcasm is a tricky thing on the internet. Saying one thing and meaning another works better when you have visual and audio clues. Simply typing the opposite of what you really think doesn't cut it on the internet.

That is why it is very hard for most people to write internet sarcasm and why most fail spectacularly. They say sometime incredibly stupid meaning it to be sarcasm and everybody reads it as assumes they are as stupid as the stuff they wrote.

Then the would-be sarcasm writer gets into a huff and claims everyone has no sense of humor when in fact he has no sense of what the readers see (simply him saying stupid stuff).

Present company excluded, of course (harrumph harrumph)
That is why some really smart dude came up with these!!:-?:):confused::eek::sun:mad::rolleyes::cool::p

So that even bumd ashes can b funie!

Frosty
08-31-2009, 23:15
(African or European swallow)

Is that supposed to be a race joke? So now we have racism even among the fowl world? Sheeez Luise!!Monty Python reference. King Arthur tricks the bridge-keeper into saying "I don't know."

Or was this sarcasm :eek:

Skidsteer
08-31-2009, 23:18
when you create a PM we could have an option where the author checks a certain box which "locks" to contents of the PM box so that it disables the "cut" and "copy" option. Then no one could repost your PM.

Panzer

Nope, sorry.

Screenshots, don'cha know.

There was some sage advice earlier in the thread. Never type anything on a keyboard that you don't want repeated.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:27
(African or European swallow)

Monty Python reference. King Arthur tricks the bridge-keeper into saying "I don't know."

Or was this sarcasm :eek:

Actually, I did not get the MP reference. I have never been a big fan of Monty. I don't even think I have ever watched the quest for the Holy grail all the way through. do you think less of me now?

THAT was sarcasm!:)

Frosty
08-31-2009, 23:27

PanzerSure they could repost it. They could just re-type it into a post to the general forum. In fact, this would work out better as they could type anything they wanted.

As in:

Hey everybody, Panzer just sent me a rude PM. I can't handle it (wah wah wah) so I have to post it so everybody will know how mean he is. Here is the PM he sent me:

Subj Frosty, You are a poopie pants

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough whopper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberries.

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Your pal,
Panzer

See how easy and fun it is when you aren't resticted by actually quoting the person.

Don't get mad. I'm being sarcastic :-?:confused::D:banana:o:cool::confused:

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:37
Sure they could repost it. They could just re-type it into a post to the general forum. In fact, this would work out better as they could type anything they wanted.

As in:

Hey everybody, Panzer just sent me a rude PM. I can't handle it (wah wah wah) so I have to post it so everybody will know how mean he is. Here is the PM he sent me:

Subj Frosty, You are a poopie pants

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough whopper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberries.

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Your pal,
Panzer

See how easy and fun it is when you aren't resticted by actually quoting the person.

Don't get mad. I'm being sarcastic :-?:confused::D:banana:o:cool::confused:

ok, THAT reference i did get.

TJ aka Teej
08-31-2009, 23:38
Somedays. I hate the Internet.
Go hike, people.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:41
Somedays. I hate the Internet.
Go hike, people.
It's 11:40 on a Monday! It's too late to hike. Remind me on Friday, maybe things will be different.

Tin Man
08-31-2009, 23:43
Actually, I did not get the MP reference. I have never been a big fan of Monty. I don't even think I have ever watched the quest for the Holy grail all the way through. do you think less of me now?

THAT was sarcasm!:)

that would be difficult. :eek:

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:46
that would be difficult. :eek:

But Tin Man, I thought you did get a heart?:confused: Did it rust and stop working...like your dip stick?

Tin Man
08-31-2009, 23:50
But Tin Man, I thought you did get a heart?:confused: Did it rust and stop working...like your dip stick?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/128959479936336187.jpg
except u ain't worth my time punk :)

Panzer1
09-01-2009, 00:03
Sure they could repost it. They could just re-type it into a post to the general forum. In fact, this would work out better as they could type anything they wanted.

Yea, OK, they could just retype it but that might be too much trouble for most of us except the most determined. Also, typing it would not have as much creditability as a "quote" since one could still claim that that's not exactly what they posted. Anyway it still might help some.

Panzer

PSy BaSS
09-01-2009, 01:07

I don't think it is the internet that has anything to do with it; after all sarcasm is the highest form of wit!!

kanga
09-01-2009, 07:35
Whaawhoo! It is gettin' good now. "In this corner, weighing in at a soft furry 225#, a Kangaroo!!" "And in this corner. Weighing in at a ...well, a MOUNTAIN!! It's Suuuuuummiiiiiit!" Ding ding.

Great job of taking the pressure off of me . . . just remember, you're the one who said she weighs in at 225# . . . heaven help you! Might as well slit your throat now dude! :D

No dude! That is what a REAL kangaroo weighs!! Not that lovely lady that lives just around the corner from me! (said with fear and trembling):o
thanks alot guys! i just spit coffee all over my computer screen..

Jester2000
09-01-2009, 11:34
I don't think it is the internet that has anything to do with it; after all sarcasm is the highest form of wit!!

I believe PSy BaSS is being sarcastic.

Sarcasm only barely qualifies as humor and is the refuge of the mean-spirited dullard, the one form of "humor" everyone has access to because it involves no wit or creativity at all.

The root of sarcasm means to tear or rend; the point of sarcasm is, at its base, to insult. Which is why, even when people "get it," it's still not usually funny (even when one puts smiley faces after it).

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2009, 11:39
When it comes to hurting feelings humor and sarcasm has nothing on the truth.

chefjason
09-01-2009, 12:06
thanks alot guys! i just spit coffee all over my computer screen..

Glad I could spice up your morning for ya!:banana

saimyoji
09-01-2009, 14:54
Nope, sorry.

Screenshots, don'cha know.

There was some sage advice earlier in the thread. Never type anything on a keyboard that you don't want repeated.

haven't you learned not to accept advice over the interwebs?

David@whiteblaze
09-02-2009, 11:55
me too... maybe we should start ranting and raving, spreading lies and conspiracies, then we can wish we kept our mouths shut:D

David@whiteblaze
09-02-2009, 11:58
Yea, OK, they could just retype it but that might be too much trouble for most of us except the most determined. Also, typing it would not have as much creditability as a "quote" since one could still claim that that's not exactly what they posted (And besides, i never say anything that isnt true:rolleyes:). Anyway it still might help some.

Panzera quote can still be messen with

sheepdog
09-02-2009, 12:31
a quote can never be messed with
That's true

Gray Blazer
09-02-2009, 13:18
Your quotes can never ever be messed with

Hunh!?!?:eek::eek: (Sorry about that:sun.)

David@whiteblaze
09-02-2009, 13:25
well... i think that if anyone points out a mnor misttake (hey man u misspelled minor mistake) they should put it on the thread that you goofed on. if you make a huge mistake that would be embarrassing in public they should pm u, if they randomly want to be knuckleheads and cuss you out in a pm or a thread, send them a pm and tell them that they are way out of line and they should take a sttp back, drink their coffee and go punch their pillow until theyre too tired to stay awake (even w/ coffee.)

David@whiteblaze
09-02-2009, 13:33
a quote can never be messed with

Hunh!?!?:eek::eek: (Sorry about that:sun.)

Your quotes can never ever be messed with

That's true

That's obvious sarcasm, when you can see for yourself that i didnt say that, you can read my post and figureout what i said and then manipulate my words to say something opposite, nice work guys:D

Yes, I am always right, even when people manipulate what i say, i am still aways right. even if im whong, or lose my temper and SHOUT! i am still right.

sheepdog
09-02-2009, 14:35
That's obvious sarcasm, when you can see for yourself that i didnt say that, you can read my post and figureout what i said and then manipulate my words to say something opposite, nice work guys:D
Just tryin to help in any way we can. :D

David@whiteblaze
09-03-2009, 10:44
and you do it so well too.

Gray Blazer
09-03-2009, 10:47

Good work!

It's strange how these quotes can be messed around with. Inconceivable!!

chefjason
09-03-2009, 10:58
Good work!

It's strange how these quotes can be messed around with. Inconceivable!!

You use this word a lot. I am not sure it means what you think it means. Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. Chew kill my father. Prepare to die!

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-19-2009, 06:50
(PM: Jeeze - you must have known that this was gonna be a "flack-fest" when you got pissed off about this right?) Cool ... vent if you like ... but some of those thin skinned hikers may not like being told off and put on the proverbial "thread-shelf". (Especially those newbies that just want some info but get stunned by the attitudes they recieve.) When the mud slinging starts - it's probably better that it change into a PM situation - or all of White Blaze would be full of it!

Connie
12-19-2009, 23:19
WhiteBlaze forum has User CP > Settings and Options (on the left hand column) > Edit Ignore List.

Use it.

Wise Old Owl
12-19-2009, 23:27
Did someone forget to lock this? what happened? Does anyone care?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/__OWLq.gif

ShelterLeopard
12-20-2009, 00:44
Did someone forget to lock this? what happened? Does anyone care?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/__OWLq.gif

Methinks no. I can't believe it's still running.

ShelterLeopard
12-20-2009, 00:49
PS- Here's a new one:

http://www.wayodd.com/funny-pictures2/funny-pictures-nice-melon-owl-1ed.jpg

wrongway_08
12-21-2009, 14:09
.......... they feel as though they need to "set me straight".

Sorry for all the A-holes here John, it must be hard having people try'n to "set you straight" all the time. I understand its not a choice and accept you just the way you are buddy!

Maybe I shoulda PM'd you this, incase I read the original message wrong........

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 14:26
Now THIS is a real hissy-fit thread. . . . :sun:sun:sun:sun

Tinker
12-21-2009, 14:37
Welcome to Hissy Fit - the way life should be. :D
(Intentionally misquoted from sign on AT at ME/NH border). ;)

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 14:40
Welcome to Hissy Fit - the way life should be. :D
(Intentionally misquoted from sign on AT at ME/NH border). ;)
Funny story. . . a SOBO friend from Switzerland slipped on a flat rock climb just into NH and looked up at me and said 'I hate New Hampshire. . .' . . . .:p

DavidNH
12-21-2009, 14:48
I did not look at every page on this thread, just the first and the last couple pages. I had the feeling looking at the first few posts, that this thread was going to go down hill in a hurry. From what I can ascertain, that seems to have been the case.

DavidNH

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 14:50
I did not look at every page on this thread, just the first and the last couple pages. I had the feeling looking at the first few posts, that this thread was going to go down hill in a hurry. From what I can ascertain, that seems to have been the case.

DavidNH
The Force is strong in this one. . . . . :):p

bigmac_in
12-21-2009, 14:52

DavidNH

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/13912/captain_obvious.jpg

Lost_Soul
04-30-2010, 21:27
Wow... still seeing things the 'Wrongway'. Some things never change.

Sorry for all the A-holes here John, it must be hard having people try'n to "set you straight" all the time. I understand its not a choice and accept you just the way you are buddy!

Maybe I shoulda PM'd you this, incase I read the original message wrong........

Mags
05-01-2010, 00:17
Curiously, my initials are PM (Paul Mag(s)nanti)

Since I have a very active public website (alas, currently being FINALLY finished from the upgrade this coming week) and tend to be a very vocal person in the "real world", I'd have to say PMs ,as a rule of thumb ,may not be necessarily private.

Thank you.

That is all.

Ender
05-01-2010, 00:28
Zombie thread... back from the dead.

Mags
05-01-2010, 10:35
Zombie thread... back from the dead.

http://www.hamtechtalk.com/photos/zombie-thread.png

Pedaling Fool
05-01-2010, 11:05
I still don't understand why someone would send you/me an email, aka PM, and tell me how morally wrong I am. That isn't private correspondence, that's harrassment.

NOTE: This does not include the moderator-types that have PM'ed me because of their perceived misuse of the TOS on my part. While I may disagree, that's not on the same par as someone giving me a moral lecture. So no hard feelings to any moderator(s), just the morally supreme amongst us:sun

Ender
05-01-2010, 11:25
http://www.hamtechtalk.com/photos/zombie-thread.png

HAHAHAHA!! Awesome. :sun