PDA

View Full Version : WhiteBlaze get together this fall followup

attroll
07-26-2004, 00:10
I am writing to remind everyone of the WhiteBlaze get together in Caratunk, Maine this year on 18 September. As of now we have named this “WhiteBlaze 2004 Trails End”. For those of you that plan on attending if there is a way for you to contact Rivers and Trails at http://www.riversandtrails.com/ and make reservation for a tent site through email or by the phone number listed on their web site. For those of you that have never been there this is not a campground. Steve is letting us camp around his yard. He says that he has had up to 65 tents set up there before.

For you hammock campers there are only about two places in the yard for hammocks. But I think there is room for about three or four out front along the road. But I would not recommend this since you are very close to the road the traffic may keep you awake. So my recommendation is to bring a tent along also.

We do not have a schedule of events for this. This is something I am throwing together and have never done anything like this before. It would help if we knew how many people would be attending as so I knew what to expect.

I have been talking to Steve the Ferry Man who operates the Kennebec Ferry for the Appalachian Trail and also owns Rivers and Trails. He has informed me that if we have enough people interested he will let us use some of his canoes and shuttle us up to The Forks to just below the ferry crossing to the Caratunk boat launch which is about 9 miles. He might even let us take out at the Ferry crossing that is 2 miles closer but I can not promise that since I have not asked him that yet. The rating on this trip is listed as “Strong current. Easy white water; paddle all season. Good for beginners.” It is listed as a river trip in the Maine map books.

I am working on having some horseshoes there and a volleyball net. We have a place for a fire pit at night to sit around the camp fire as a group. If anyone else has any suggestion please feel free to suggest. I don’t know what to have there if you don’t tell me.

I also plan on having WhiteBlaze patches and shirts there for sale. I will offer all the WhiteBlaze t-shirts that are left over at a reduced rate. So anyone that has not sent the money in for the shirts that they said they wanted will loose out. If you don’t send your money 18 September then they will be sold at the get together. It will be on a first come first serve basis until they are gone.

If this turns out well I would like to do this every year.

quill2321
08-03-2004, 15:27
I was actually thinking about doing a week long hike in Maine this fall, and was wondering how far from the trail you are. I would be flying out from Indiana, and would like to come as I would be able to learn more about thru-hiking. Is there a good section close to you that would be good for a weeklong hike. Thanks for any info. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks,

Chebon White

(quill)

grrickar
08-03-2004, 18:06
What about one for the peeps who live in the SE, somewhere in the Smokies or the Blue Ridge Mtns? I'd like to meet your guys, but I won't be able to fly or drive to Maine for it.

Hammock Hanger
08-03-2004, 18:17
I am hoping to summit the Big K on my 48th b-day (okay a day later) on September 4th. If I can figure out a way to stay up in the area for another 2 weeks I will definately be there. I plan on visiting my daughter who is working in MA near Savage Ravine for a week so that is just about 7 days to contend with. Not sure I'm up to a week of hiking and camping.... LOL :) But who knows. Sue/HH

smokymtnsteve
08-03-2004, 19:48
purty sure I'll be in Alaska,,have a great time.

Kerosene
08-03-2004, 19:49
Unfortunately I've used up my chits for east coast camping trips for the year, but I'll try to coordinate with a get together in the future! Have fun!

Nightwalker
08-04-2004, 12:29
purty sure I'll be in Alaska, have a great time.

NOT FAIR

;)

walkin' wally
08-04-2004, 13:34
I was actually thinking about doing a week long hike in Maine this fall, and was wondering how far from the trail you are.
Thanks,

Chebon White

(quill)

Steve Longley's place is a mile or less north of the rt.201 crossing at Caratunk. It is located on the right side of the highway.

Frosty
08-16-2004, 22:51
I'm planning on being there. Someone mentioned getting in a section hike. I may bring my gear along and do the same.

attroll
08-17-2004, 00:15
I'm planning on being there. Someone mentioned getting in a section hike. I may bring my gear along and do the same.
Frosty if you are going to be there please vote on the vote question in thise thread please.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5500

Frosty
08-17-2004, 12:57
Frosty if you are going to be there please vote on the vote question in thise thread please.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5500I did a long time ago. I voted I was going to try to make it.

attroll
08-17-2004, 13:00
Sorry I must have missed it the first time.

Frosty
08-17-2004, 14:04
Sorry I must have missed it the first time.Looking forward to it. Afterwards will hike a bit of AT to one side or the other of Caratunk.

Thanks for setting it up.

The Eleven
08-19-2004, 11:47
Sounds like a good idea about the gathering. I also would like to do a backpack on the AT in Maine. (Quill? from Indiana mentions something?) Anybody want to team up? I do have vacation time coming and as long as I get the OK from the doc about my back situation, I will do a few days on AT.
Canoeing sounds like fun. So does horseshoes! Suggestion: B-B-Q during the day? Everybody bring something....meats, sides, etc. Would we be near any stores for BBQ supplies? Is it for Sat only....like come up and set up on Friday and leave Sunday? I'm down in CT so not too far away. Where is Catacunk? Happy Trails! Steve (Little Bear 2)

attroll
08-19-2004, 12:02
Caratunk is about 60 miles straight up from Waterville. The place we are having the get together at is about 1 mile from the AT.

Here is the last post I posted on this subject. If you are going to attend please go to this thread and vote on the topic so I will know how many people to expect. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5500.

September 18 & 19, 2004 at Rivers and Trails in Caratunk, Maine.

This will hopefully be the last time I ask this question. This is more than a WhiteBlaze get together. It is also Trail Magic for thru-hikers and anyone who has a interest in the Appalachian Trail. So if you know someone that wants to come that is not a member of WhiteBlaze then please drag them along also. If you know someone that is a prospective thru-hiker or section hiker then drag them along also.

I need to get a feeling of how many WhiteBlaze members will be attending the 18 September get together. I need to know how much food and drinks we need to acquire. So could you please vote on the voting poll that I created so that I can get a feel of how many people will be attending. I have come up with a sort of agenda for the first day. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post them. This is the first time I have ever done an event like this so I can use all the help and suggestions I can get.
1. Arrivals through out the day. Will have a trail register style signup sheet.
2. Socializing and meting others.
3. Cooking for thru-hikers passing through.
4. Start cooking for free meal around 4:30.
5. 7 PM, WhiteBlaze welcome announcement and explain about the web site and where it is and where we hope to have it go.
6. Introductions, Who are you/trail name, when have you hiked and when are you going to hike ect…
7. 8 PM, Baltimore Jack’s Question and answers session for prospective hikers.
8. Campfire on into the night.

Here are some other options we are looking into.

1. Swimming trip up to The Forks for a bridge jumping trip.
2. Canoe trip down the Kennebec River on Sunday.

attroll
08-19-2004, 12:05
I am heading to Caratunk this weekend to talk to Steve at Rivers and Trails and make sure everything is still OK. I also need to run some things by him and find out some things. If there is anything you would like me to ask Steve let me know so I can ask him while I am up there.

ferryman
08-19-2004, 16:43
AT Troll, The location of my business/Store/cabins/bunkhouse/camping area is situated on the Caratunk/The Forks, Maine town line. I own 960' frontage on US Route 201 (scenic byway) across the street from the Kennebec River (National Wild and Scenic waterway) and 1700' from the Appalachian Trail (National Scenic Trail). September 18 is the perfect time to have an end of Trail Fest and will attract alot of tired and weary northbounders very close to finishing their thru hike. "Trail Magic" will be an important aspect of this gathering. For the past 88 days, we have been operating the Kennebec River Ferry Service on time as scheduled without mishaps or delays and will soon surpass 15,000 hikers ferried. This weekend we are hosting the 13th annual Rivers and Trails Festival which is expected to draw about 200 folks maybe a little more, maybe a little less, however, the Country Choir bluegrass Band will perform on Saturday at about 6 pm. Back in 1992, the Sierra Club celebrated their 100th B-day with five (six) hikers called the "Sierra Club Centennial Expedition-Individuals Making A Difference For The Environment- Georgia to Maine- March to September." The success of that event with some refreshments (food) and two bands (The Boon Docks and Country Choir) with an encore of incredible Northern Lights (auroraborealis) and we never looked back. For further infomation as it unfolds about this End of Trail event and especially suggestions and ideas about contributing to make this a worthwhile and productive experience, please contact me: [email protected] or www.riversandtrails.com (http://www.riversandtrails.com) or 207-663-4441. Thank You, Steve 'ferryman' Longley

A-Train
08-20-2004, 10:43
I'm 90% sure I'll be there, atleast for part of the weekend. Hopefully I'll have a chance to meet some of you guys I never got around to talking to at TrailDays. I'm definately interested in a hike of any length (day) and/or a trip down the river. I'll be for sure heading up to Monson atleast for a couple hours as I have a small hike I "must" do. I'll definately bring tons of food and beer from Vermont for the hiker feed. Looking forward to it.

attroll
08-20-2004, 12:22
I would like to get a hike in to on that weekend but it will be kind of hard seeing I am organizing the whole thing. I am still trying to decide on how much burger and hot dots to get. I figure 25 to 30 pounds of burger should be enough for everyone. I hope. It is hard to say when you have no idea how many people are coming.

I am heading up tp see Steve this weekend. To decusse some more ideas and to just visit. I want to talk to him about a river trip and see what he thinks on that. He offered to let us use some of his canoes and he would drop us off upriver and pick us up below the AT crossing when we are done whish is about nine miles. Which sounds pretty awesome. But I need to find out how many canoes he has to let us use. I have done this trip two times in my kayak and we were going to do it this weekend but it is suppose to rain tomorrow.

The Scribe
08-20-2004, 19:14
Rick
I have a 17' Coleman I can throw on my truck. It's a barge. lol

weary
08-20-2004, 21:31
Many weeks ago, we scheduled a Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust all day meeting with our advisory committee for Sept. 18. I'll try to stop by Sunday morning just to say hi.

I think these kinds of gatherings are important to the future of the trail. And someday I may even be less busy. I retired 13 years ago. But somehow, I haven't stopped working. I'm just doing more for no money.

I hadn't thought about it in 1991. But now it strikes me as a great idea. Don't retire from work. Just retire from earning money, and therefore retire from doing frivolous things. That way one has the freedom, at last, to do really important things.

Weary

fatmatt
08-21-2004, 18:41
I so wish I could be there, to meet more people like myself. However a weekend trip to Maine from here would just be too far. Will try to make an appearance with my buddy "Energizer" at Trail Days next year though, just prior to our (hopfully) Rock Gap - Damascus Section hike! Hope to see some pictures though!

walkin' wally
08-21-2004, 19:10
[QUOTE=attroll I have done this trip two times in my kayak and we were going to do it this weekend but it is suppose to rain tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Hi Troll,

What are the usual conditions like from The Forks to Caratunk? Can a couple of recreational flat water kayakers with 13 foot Old Town Loons do this section? Do we need spray skirts? Are there areas to rest a little on the way down the river? Could you share any info on this? :sun

attroll
08-22-2004, 01:37
[QUOTE=attroll I have done this trip two times in my kayak and we were going to do it this weekend but it is suppose to rain tomorrow.
Hi Troll,

What are the usual conditions like from The Forks to Caratunk? Can a couple of recreational flat water kayakers with 13 foot Old Town Loons do this section? Do we need spray skirts? Are there areas to rest a little on the way down the river? Could you share any info on this? :sun[/QUOTE]
WALKIN' WALLY

Yes it is not problem for a 13 foot Loon. I have done it with my Loon 128 (12' 8") twice already. My wife has a Old Town also that is 129 (12' 9") and she has done it twice also and that was with the river right at the dam was released. It is no sweat at all. No whitewater to worry about. Just fast moving water in spots and some swells. In fact Steve says a canoe could do it. He has offered to let us use a couple of his canoes.

Frosty
08-23-2004, 10:30
AT TROLL,

I'd like to combine a section hike with the Whiteblaze get together, and do some miles from Rte 4 north, either to Caratunk or ideally, Monson.

I'd start hiking, probably Monday, to arrive at Caratunk Friday night. If I go on to Monson, I'd leave Caratunk Sunday morning.

Can you recommend a place where I could leave my truck and get a shuttle from Monson or Caratunk back to Rte 4?

Thanks,

attroll
08-23-2004, 11:09
AT TROLL,

I'd like to combine a section hike with the Whiteblaze get together, and do some miles from Rte 4 north, either to Caratunk or ideally, Monson.

I'd start hiking, probably Monday, to arrive at Caratunk Friday night. If I go on to Monson, I'd leave Caratunk Sunday morning.

Can you recommend a place where I could leave my truck and get a shuttle from Monson or Caratunk back to Rte 4?

Thanks,
There is a parking lot on route 4 at the AT crossing. That you can leave your car at. I don't know of anyone that will shuttle you back to route 4 after that from Caratunk or Monson. I am sure Shaw's will do it but I don't know how much they will charge you. You would have to call them. You might want to get in touch with some of the other hostel owners in the Caratunk and Monson area. I would offer to do it but I will probably be a pretty busy camper helping with clean up Sunday and then who knows what else. That would be a long drive for me to take you back to route 4 and then head home. If everything went well I could do it but I can not commit to something like that right now because I don't know how things will go the that Sunday.

Frosty
08-23-2004, 12:08
There is a parking lot on route 4 at the AT crossing. That you can leave your car at. I don't know of anyone that will shuttle you back to route 4 after that from Caratunk or Monson. I am sure Shaw's will do it but I don't know how much they will charge you. You would have to call them. You might want to get in touch with some of the other hostel owners in the Caratunk and Monson area. I would offer to do it but I will probably be a pretty busy camper helping with clean up Sunday and then who knows what else. That would be a long drive for me to take you back to route 4 and then head home. If everything went well I could do it but I can not commit to something like that right now because I don't know how things will go the that Sunday.You'll be even busier than you imagine. I helped put on a road race once, and the amount of stuff that comes up at the last minute is incredible. I actually hadn't thought of leaving my truck at Rte 4 (I had in mind having it where I will end up), but if I leave it at Rte 4, I can just as easily go back after I get from where I stop hiking! The more I think about it, the better I like going all the way to Monson, but parking at Rte 4 gives me a bit of flexibility.

attroll
08-23-2004, 12:58
I wish I could help you out. But I can not promise anything.

As for me being busy. I hope I am a little busy. I have not had to many users here at WhiteBlaze comiit to coming. I think only about 10 said they are coming so far if that. But I may get some thru-hikers passing through that day. I put flyers up at the Hostels in Andover Maine a couple weeks ago and I also mailed some ot Shaw's and the Pie Lady's in Monson. I just hope this does not turn into a flop. Steve will also tell the thru-hikers as he ferry's them accross the Kennebec that day. Maybe we can use two was radio's and Steve will call us when he gets a load of thru-hikers and we can take turns going down to get them. It is only a mile down the road.

Pencil Pusher
08-23-2004, 20:00
Plan on it being a small shindig then. Since the last minute is the most volatile, just go with what you have and if the size jumps up at the last minute, cross that bridge when you get there. Just try not to think of it in a negative light, letting folks who aren't even there bring you down. Sort of on a parallel note, I was pretty active in this local climbing club and would put stories of my wacky climbing tales in the club newsletter. I think there was more interest in the reading of stories than actually participating in club climbs. We didn't have any scheduled so I tried many-a-time to organize and most of the trips didn't happen due to nobody being interested. But for those few times where one, two or a few showed up, those produced some happy and memorable experiences which far outweighed any feelings over the apathy of club members. I'm still a wacky guy...:sun So enjoy the few that do show up and if you're still feeling blue, drink some chilled firewater;)

The Scribe
08-23-2004, 20:55
I really don't care if 3 - 6 10- 100 people show up. I will have a good time. Most of the responses on here about not coming are perfectly logical. Too far away. Hey, it's a weekend outside (unless you have a wimpy cabin ;-) ), a chance to interact with people with like interests, do some trail magic, and put some faces to names.

Rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!

pcm

attroll
08-24-2004, 00:23
Don't worry I am not letting it get me down. I did not mean to make my last post sound thast way. I will have a good time regaurdless if only 10 people show up. Like PCM25 said they people that are not coming have logical reason. I would not drive over 300 miles to attend a get together for jsut the weekend. So I don't expect people to drive that far.

What I was hoping some of the local Mainers would come if anyone. But that does not matter. If we only get 10 people then those 10 people will not have to worry about not having anything to eat. I will have a lot of burgers. LOL. PCM25 will be there and I know him from hiking with him before. He is good people. So I know I have at least one friend coming. LOL. I am looking forward to putting face to some names like Walkin' Wally, One Leg. I have meet TJ and Baltimore Jack. I don't know if they ever remember meeting me but I met them before.

No matter what we will have a good time. Even if we sit around the fire telling stories and having a couple drinks or what ever we do.

Frosty
08-24-2004, 09:38
There is a parking lot on route 4 at the AT crossing. That you can leave your car at. I don't know of anyone that will shuttle you back to route 4 after that from Caratunk or Monson. I am sure Shaw's will do it but I don't know how much they will charge you.Thanks. Shaw's does shuttles very reasonably for $1.25 a mile one-way mileage. I made arrangements to get shuttled to Rte 4 and will be at Caratunk Friday afternoon, or if late, on the Saturday morning canoe ferry. Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Tramper Al
08-24-2004, 10:44
ATT is to be commended of course for trying to put this together, big or small.

On my NE section hike, I am still about 20 miles shy of Caratunk, but I was up there this weekend on a rafting trip down the Kennebec. It is a very nice area, with lots to do, both on and off the trail. I wish I could make it, as I might have been able to beg a ride back to East Flagstaff Road and hike my next section!

Brushy Sage
08-24-2004, 11:04
I can't find the poll, so am using this medium to express my regrets that I will not be able to attend. I hope it is a great experience for all who can get there.

attroll
08-24-2004, 12:23
Thanks. Shaw's does shuttles very reasonably for $1.25 a mile one-way mileage. I made arrangements to get shuttled to Rte 4 and will be at Caratunk Friday afternoon, or if late, on the Saturday morning canoe ferry. Looking forward to meeting you in person.I will not be getting there untill Saturday morning unless I can get out of work early Friday night and in that case I might get up there around midnight.

I assume that you will be coming accross on the Ferry Friday or Saturday morning? I look forward to meeting you.

walkin' wally
08-24-2004, 18:02
I am looking forward to going to the gathering.
If there are a few people there it will be easier to remember names with faces and if there are a lot of people there the more the merrier. :cool:
Anything to do with the Maine woods or the AT is fine with me,
see you all there. :sun
GR8 N WDS !!

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2004, 18:15
Troll---

As far as the numbers go, I'd RATHER have twenty people than a hundred and twenty! We had close to a hundred at our hiker weekend in Port Clinton and it got a little crazy....when the hikers realized there were still forty people in the breakfast line and we were down to our last pound of bacon, it got a little cutthroat for awhile! All things considered, I'd rather have a smaller group than an enormous one.

And don't forget, there'll be some Class of 2004 people as well. Three great hikers left my house this afternoon for the Trail VERY excited about the fact that they're on track to be somewhere around Caratunk that weekend.

I think it'll be a fun weekend no matter how many people show up and I'm looking forward to it very much.

attroll
08-25-2004, 13:31
Jack

You have a good point.

I just got a phone call from Steve (The Ferryman) just now. Everything is still a go. He has offered to let us use at least 3 of his canoes and he can get a fourth is he needs to. For a scenic ride down the Kennebec River. We will put in at The Forks at noon Sunday if we get enough people interested. Which is just up the road from Caratunk. Then we will paddle down to Steve's place on the river. This is only a 6 mile paddle. We will have a signup sheet at the get together for this.

walkin' wally
09-07-2004, 19:53
Over the last couple of days I hiked the Bemis Range northbound and word is out on the trail grapevine about the get-together at the forks. So maybe we will see some thru-hilers there.

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 13:14
Rick,

My daughter Grass is scheduled to summit Katahdin on the 17th. There is a chance that I will be driving up there to do the summit with her and bring her home.

IF both of those things work out, then we'll try to be at your gathering on the 18th or 19th or both.

Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. LOL

Rain Man

Grimace
09-08-2004, 13:20
this past weekend at the shelter just S of Mahossuc Notch. They were planning on getting to Caratunk for this get together. FYI

attroll
09-09-2004, 00:04
Rick,

My daughter Grass is scheduled to summit Katahdin on the 17th. There is a chance that I will be driving up there to do the summit with her and bring her home.

IF both of those things work out, then we'll try to be at your gathering on the 18th or 19th or both.

Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. LOL

Rain Man

.You tell Grass that she better summit on the 17 so you can make it to Caratunk on the 18th or I will track her down.