PDA

View Full Version : Carrying of ointments,gels on the trail

English Stu
08-30-2009, 16:09
I seem to carry a few gels, ointments in my first aid kit ,I would appreciate any ideas for carrying small amounts. I have heard of loading up straws and presently use a pill box that divides into days but it is not very successful as the stuff often melts.

Snowleopard
08-30-2009, 18:21
Probably not worth shipping to England, but look for dropper bottles like this:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/microdrop_dropper_plus_bottle.html
The dropper part comes off. Eyedrops come in small dropper bottles.
Try going to a pharmacy and look around, or ask the pharmacist what they have that might work.

Jonnycat
08-30-2009, 18:26
I put my campsuds in a visine (eyedrops) bottle; should work for a gelatinous item as well (you might need to enlarge the orifice depending upon the item).

warraghiyagey
08-30-2009, 18:30
Patchouli oil. . . in small glass bottle. . .

atraildreamer
08-30-2009, 18:56
I seem to carry a few gels, ointments in my first aid kit ,I would appreciate any ideas for carrying small amounts. I have heard of loading up straws and presently use a pill box that divides into days but it is not very successful as the stuff often melts.

Stop at the photo shop at Wally World, or wherever, and asks for some 35 mm film containers. They throw the empties away and will probably be glad to give you a bunch. Good also for pills, seasonings, whatever.

DAKS
08-30-2009, 19:51
ziploc bag?

Blissful
08-30-2009, 20:40
I have put hydrocortisone in a snack ziploc. Works ok short term. I just carried two small tubes of antibiotic cream and hydrocortisone, standard. Found them in a Dollar Tree type store (where everything is a dollar) here in the states.

Seeker
08-30-2009, 20:48
contact lens solution comes in tiny bottles. i reuse a travel-size toothpaste tube to carry mustard in on overnighters (very hard to get rid of the peppermint taste-it's a little odd with mustard! :p).

Don H
08-30-2009, 21:33
Gel toothpaste in a small eyedropper bottle, lasts at least a week.

English Stu
08-31-2009, 06:01
Thanks seems eyedropper bottles are favourite,will seek some out.

For toothpaste have done the trick of ,after drilling through,epoxying two tube tops together to refill smaller ones.;)

brooklynkayak
08-31-2009, 17:47
Patchouli oil. . . in small glass bottle. . .

The smell of Patchouli oil is OK and the smell of hiker stench is OK, combine the two and you have a repulsive nasty smell.
That is the only smell on the trail that really made me feel like I was going to loose my lunch.

Cool AT Breeze
08-31-2009, 17:52
Smells like stinking hippies.

mrhughes1982
09-01-2009, 22:15
Add the smell of a grill cheese and its like being in a Phish lot :banana

rhjanes
09-01-2009, 22:37
do you have a store that specializes in containers? They have all sorts of little bottles and tubes and trays and such. Sometimes expensive, but might be worth it.