PDA

View Full Version : One-Leg rescued from Katahdin; then Quits?

SavageLlama
07-26-2004, 09:59
Interesting journal entry on One-Leg's website. He was rescued off Katahdin by helicopter, then hiked 3.5 miles into the 100-mile wilderness, turned back around and flew home.

I hope he's not done.. but it looks as though he may be.
http://www.onelegwonder.com/page2.html

Jaybird
07-26-2004, 10:46
Interesting journal entry on One-Leg's website. He was rescued off Katahdin by helicopter, then hiked 3.5 miles into the 100-mile wilderness, turned back around and flew home.
I hope he's not done.. but it looks as though he may be.

S.L.

i talked to "OneLeg" Sunday...he is still determined to go back to Mt.K & hike SOBO to Harpers Ferry & finish his journey...it's HIS decision...although his leg is hurting, his hip is bruised,...& he's a bit frayed around the edges from his fall & rescue...

www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=73669)

he needs our positve thoughts & prayers.

TJ aka Teej
07-26-2004, 11:07
He certainly did more AT miles this year than most WhiteBlaze and TrailJournal readers. I hope his critics will remember that before commenting.

Lone Wolf
07-26-2004, 11:30
Who pays for the chopper?

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 11:42
I also suffer from a disability...one which limits conditions in which I should hike...i accept my limitations, it is foolish and morally wrong for me to overly tempt fate and put myself in situations where others may become endangered rescuing me because I tried something foolish that was beyond my physical abilities.

peter2003
07-26-2004, 11:46
A few comments:

I met One-Leg at Damascus at Trail Days and I was impressed with his drive to thru hike the AT with a severe disability. I am very sorry that he has had to leave the trail.

That said, I wonder if he underestimated the dificulity of hiking the big K; living in NE I have hiked Katahdin a few times and have always been impressed by the amount of effort needed to hike that mountain. One often looks at Mt. Washington as the most difficult hike in the east, however, if my book the big K is at least 1/3 more difficult. If he had a little support on the hike he could of hiked down the other side of the mountain which is much easier after going down the slide. When I did my thru hike in 03 it took me over 4 hours to climb the mountain.

Good luck One-Leg if the decide to continue.

vtpete

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 11:48

good question

attroll
07-26-2004, 12:40
Yes this is a good question. I asked this in another post. Everyone that gets a chopper rescue at the K has to pay the bill I believe. TJ will probably know more about this.

Jersey Bob
07-26-2004, 13:14
at least 10 characters

Jersey Bob
07-26-2004, 13:17
at least 10 characters

attroll
07-26-2004, 13:18
The following is cut & paste from various web articles:

...in 1999 a law was passed in New Hampshire that states that hikers who recklessly cause themselves to become lost or injured, resulting in costly and dangerous rescues, may be billed for those rescue services.

[Maine: ] In December 1999, the state’s Fish and Game Department announced its new safety policy to charge careless hikers the cost of search and rescue missions. The department has posted signs at trailheads telling hikers that if they are not prepared they will pay the cost of any rescue.I thought Maine had the same policy. Now will he get billed just like everyone else?

Jersey Bob
07-26-2004, 13:48
at least 10 characters

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 13:55
Yes, Maine has the same policy. The 2nd paragraph in my cut&paste above pertained to Maine.

My guess is that they may bill Scott which will be very prickly with all the publicity he's received so far. If he proves he was not careless, reckless and was well prepared he may get out of it. Could go to a legal battle depending on the motivation of those involved.

but he was careless reckless and not prepared.

SavageLlama
07-26-2004, 14:16
Time to double those fundraising efforts.. I bet a chopper ride off Katahdin has a pretty steep pricetag.

Jersey Bob
07-26-2004, 14:19
at least 10 characters

bearbait2k4
07-26-2004, 14:36
Wow, do any of you guys even know him personally? He has a knack for drawing attention? Since when?

Talk to people that actually know him; that actually have run into him and have gotten to know him. You'll get a different picture than what some of these people here, who have never even talked to the guy, are trying to paint. He was wreckless and careless? How much more so than any other hiker that's trying to climb it? Seriously, were you there? So you know for a fact that he was?

I honestly don't understand why some people have to come to this site and meticulously judge others on a daily basis. What is the point of it? So you're proving that you know more about something than another person, in your opinion? Big deal. Get over it, and stop judging people you don't even know.

Pencil Pusher
07-26-2004, 14:41
My gut feeling is they won't charge him for the ride. I think this is one of those situations that fall more under a varying shade of gray than black and white.

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 15:05
I also suffer from a disability...one which limits conditions in which I should hike...i accept my limitations, it is foolish and morally wrong for me to overly tempt fate and put myself in situations where others may become endangered rescuing me because I tried something foolish that was beyond my physical abilities.

I also Love my family and know that my first obligation to my family is to take care of myself and not take unnecessary risks so that I will continue to be able to be there and take care of my family.

peter2003
07-26-2004, 16:13
I guess we need Stg. Rock to educate you guys; the chopper in the picture looks like a Blackhawk chopper of the Maine National Guard. My guess is the guard will look at this rescue as just another training mission. Time will tell if I am right. What surprised me is One-Leg Wonder continuing his hike at the Abol Campground right after the accident. The first part of the 100 mile wilderness is not that difficult but it is still not like hiking down south.

vtpete

Jersey Bob
07-26-2004, 16:15
at least 10 characters

Jack Tarlin
07-26-2004, 19:05
Steve--

Of all the thoughtless, snide, and witless things you've said here on Whiteblaze, your latest takes the cake.

You suggest that Scott Rogers was "careless reckless and not prepared."

Steve, Scott has hiked well over 1000 miles on the A.T. this year. How much have you done? Oh, and I won't even mention that he's got an artificial leg.

I submit Steve, that a careless and reckless and ill-prepared one-legged man wouldn't last 10 miles on the A.T., never mind a thousand. You don't know this man, you know nothing about his preparations, his training, his gear, etc.

Yet you feel qualified to villify him as careless and reckless and un-prepared.

You're speaking, not for the first time, out of complete ignorance. It seems he exhausted himself after climbing Katahdin. Well, a lot of folks have done that. It appears that after months of proving himself on a daily basis hiking the Trail, and enduring problems and setbacks that would've discouraged or sent home most other folks, well it appears he may have over-reached himself; more than likely, he was simply more tired than he knew. After what he's been thru this year, this doesn't surprise me.

But to get on an Internet forum and say that he's careless and un-prepared is as unwarranted as it is thoughtless and cruel. Steve, you know absolutely NOTHING about Scott's Rogers preparation for his trip, how much he planned, or what he did before he set out to prepare for his journey.....yet you feel competent enough to anonymously insult him here.

The final decision on whether or not he'll be billed for his rescue is up to the folks who carried it out. They'll make the decision on his "preparedness" based on a careful examination of Scott, his trip, what he's accomplished, and what he's managed to do on his way to Katahdin. In short, they'll make this judgment based on a careful studied examination of the man, the situation, and the incident. They will then decide whether or not he was careless, reckless, or ill-prepared.

What they WON'T do is make stunningly stupid and utterly contemptible judgments about people and situations they know less than nothing about.

Too bad more people can't follow their example.

TJ aka Teej
07-26-2004, 19:18
.. I wonder if he underestimated the dificulity of hiking the big K?
*Everybody* seems to! Abol Slide is a tough route, up or down, on the best of days. The Hunt Trail (the A.T.) isn't easy, and it's best done with a few companions to lend a hand or give a boost. I think if Scott had climbed with a group of finishing MEGAs he would've had a successful climb. Glad to have read that he touched the sign - there's a bit of magic there.

TJ aka Teej
07-26-2004, 19:27
Everyone that gets a chopper rescue at the K has to pay the bill I believe. TJ will probably know more about this.
At Baxter, it all depends on the Park Director's determination of the circumstances, and in this case I do not believe Scott will be billed.

Lone Wolf
07-26-2004, 19:56
Nope. Not a legitimate rescue. Being tired don't cut it. Not knowing the easiest route up is piss-poor too. His friends drop him off at Abol Campground and tell him to hike the Hunt Trail. Obviously they didn't know the park. I thought cell phones were banned in the park too. Smokeymtnsteve is right. This is a high profile rescue. Of course Buzz dude ain't gonna push for fines. ***ing politics!

Jack Tarlin
07-26-2004, 19:59
Says Wolf, who's hiked even less this year than Steve has, and maybe even less than me. But definitely a ****load less than Scott Rogers.

Katahdin's a tough mountain, Wolf. Maybe you've forgotten as you haven't been there for awhile.

I think we should cut Scott a break, but then again, it's not our decision to make.

And happily, it ain't Steve's or Wolf's either.

Lone Wolf
07-26-2004, 20:03
Shut up Jack. Your emotions get in the way of logic. Obviously you feel some sort of guilt for not hiking this year.

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 20:35
Thank you for your kind words Jack always good to hear from you.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=50590

as too how many miles I have hiked this year I can answer around 450 miles in one continuous trip this spring. I am planning another 2 months this fall (as usual)

I too have a serious disability that limits the conditions under which I can safely hike, My health compromise excludes hiking in hot temps due to a fat metabolism/liver p450 enzyme problem. so Scott's health in many aspects is better than mine. I am quite aware of my limits and how they affect my well-being and the well-being of my family who I truely care for. (speaking of families Jack how is your daughter in Alaska?)

For me to push on and hike under conditions that are beyond my physical/medical limits and to injure myself or needlessly endanger rescue personnel and waste resources (resources that could well be needed for real unforeseeable emergency) is quite selfish. Not only to me but to my rescuers, my family, and society in general.

I respect myself and others enough to not foolishly put myself in needless danger. or too push myself over reasonable limits taking into consideration my health/medical conditions.

we all have limits,,and knowing your limits and respecting them is part of LNT and part of my personal philosphy,not to even mention common sense.

It would be wasteful and quite ignorant for me to push beyond my known limits not only in the interest of my own well-being but for the well-being of my family, whos future I care for greatly.

If I don't take care of me, I will not be able to take care of them.

Maybe Scott needs to consider this in his own life.

food
07-26-2004, 20:37
If the Park Director uses free publicity as effectively as Scott, he will call a press conference and show the reporters a 5 digit bill sent to Scott. When Scott contacts him about the bill he would offer to settle for zero if Scott sign an agreement not to discuss the settlement.

It might encourage a few people to exercise a little more caution if they believe a one legged guy got billed 5 digits for getting tied. Sounds like a WIN/WIN :clap

smokymtnsteve
07-26-2004, 20:40
Shut up Jack. Your emotions get in the way of logic. Obviously you feel some sort of guilt for not hiking this year.

it is called obsessive-complusive LW...something a LOT of Thru-hikers appear to suffer from. radical repeaters seem to have a higher % O/C.

Streamweaver
07-26-2004, 23:38
I guess we need Stg. Rock to educate you guys; the chopper in the picture looks like a Blackhawk chopper of the Maine National Guard. My guess is the guard will look at this rescue as just another training mission. Time will tell if I am right. What surprised me is One-Leg Wonder continuing his hike at the Abol Campground right after the accident. The first part of the 100 mile wilderness is not that difficult but it is still not like hiking down south.

vtpete Read his journal -there was no accident,he was just to worn out to safely continue either up or down,or atleast he felt he was.Dont really sound careless and reckless IMO,I think reckless would be to go on even though one felt he was beyond his limit to do so safely. Streamweaver

attroll
07-27-2004, 00:13
Wow, do any of you guys even know him personally? He has a knack for drawing attention? Since when?No I do not know himm personally. I have chatted with him quite a bit though. I was not talking bad about him in any of these post. I was just wondering if he was going to get billed like everyone else that got billed in the past from being rescued from Katahdin.

My guess is the guard will look at this rescue as just another training mission. Time will tell if I am right. What surprised me is One-Leg Wonder continuing his hike at the Abol Campground right after the accident. The first part of the 100 mile wilderness is not that difficult but it is still not like hiking down south.The gaurd does not usually write things off like this as a training missions I don't believe. Yes it surprises me too that after having to be rescued from Katahdin by chopper that he started hiking the 100 mile wilderness the next day. I am a little confused by all of this though. He said that they reached the summit at 7:30pm. So what are they doing trying to reach the summit that late in the eveing. I can not believe that the park rangers let him continue on. If it was any other hiker they would have had then turn around.

I am worried about Scott. I hope he is not going to do unsafe acts like this again just to complete his hike. Scott if you are reading this I am with you. But please be careful out there.

Colter
07-27-2004, 00:19
If you push yourself so far beyond your abilities that you require rescue, you are being careless and irresponsible, in my opinion. There were no unusual "acts of God" in this situation.

He didn't suddenly get tired. To be "rescued to the summit" and then get a helicopter ride down is not something I'd be proud of, as I said in a different thread.

It was bad judgment that caused the problem. I don't think the public should have to pay the bill.

Pencil Pusher
07-27-2004, 01:27
I agree, it was bad judgement. Had he not had his cell phone, I bet he would have turned around much sooner. This is one of the blasted things about cell phones. Self reliance gets tossed out the window because, "Oh, I have my cell phone." Scott's been hiking long enough to know what his limits are. To blow your wad getting to the top... that's only halfway there.
Now, if going to the summit was in the direction of their planned exit to go down the mountain, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. But it sounded like once the rangers got there, he figured he might as well try and reach the summit. Huh, uh. You can't have your cake and eat it too when it's a rescue. This is like rangers rescuing climbers and the climbers want to put their packs on the chopper too. This isn't gear retrieval, it's a rescue and in this case, a true story. The rangers threw the packs out, much to the climber's angst. So I don't understand why he chose to go to the summit when the rangers arrived. It's almost like, "Okay, my safety net is here. I'll give this a shot." Had it been any other hiker, they would've been strong-arming him down the mountain.

One Leg
07-27-2004, 10:12
<Post retracted> I should have never stooped to your levels. Apologies extended.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2004, 10:33
I NEVER said those words that you quoted. Quit making up stuff. :rolleyes: I did say,"You've lost weight. Good luck with the hike." Steve doesn't drink. I highly doubt you'll cover more miles this season than I have in the last 5. Unless you hike 500 hundred extra. Sorry I ain't jumping on the sympathy bandwagon.

One Leg
07-27-2004, 10:34
Oh, you said them alright...Of course, you were drunk, and we've all said things when we were drinking that we don't really mean..

Lone Wolf
07-27-2004, 10:39
Now you're really full of s**t! It was 10a.m. and I was very sober. Try again.

SavageLlama
07-27-2004, 10:39
LW: Could it possibly be that you're a washed-up, has-been hiker who wishes that he'd taken better care of himself so he could actually be out there hiking instead of sitting at home talking about it?

SmokyMtnSteve: Your alcohol-damaged liver isn't even comparable with my amputation. Could it be that you have more in common with snakes than we realize?

-Scott
And the gloves come off!

One Leg
07-27-2004, 10:41
I s'pose I could have M&M, my 13 year old son, come on and verify what I'm saying, as he was there. It doesn't matter, LW, the fact of the matter is that I'm hiking, and you're not. That's all I have to say on this matter. See ya~!

Lone Wolf
07-27-2004, 10:43
Good luck. You're gonna need it thru Maine and NH. And leave the cell phone home.

orangebug
07-27-2004, 10:49
SmokyMtnSteve: Your alcohol-damaged liver isn't even comparable with my amputation. When your liver finally fails you, doctors can give you another one...

Through all of this, I've come to understand that it doesn't matter how many miles I cover, there's always going to be one or two bad apples who try to come in...

I appreciate your impassioned defense of your quest to hike the AT, especially after such vitriolic attacks. I am sorry that you needed to do this, but doubt anyone could have read this thread without their bile flowing over.

I hope you are incorrect that Steve has alcoholic hepatitis. I found it sadly curious that he accuses another hiker of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, while accusing you of a lack of preparation and skill. I hope he was simply wrong and not simply rationalizing his own circumstances.

I have met few thru or section hikers that were absolutely prepared for the task at hand, especially when trying to navigate a trail on crutches. It is always refreshing to read a journal that acknowledges human fraility and error. Part of the human condition is the guarantee of back stabbers and suck-ups. Neither group are truly your friend. You have seen that some can be both.

Find something better to read as you prepare for your next section, whether 10 or 1,000 miles.

Bill...

smokymtnsteve
07-27-2004, 10:53
Scott obviously you don't know as much about me as you think, as I never touch alcohol as a matter of fact I am quite anti-alcohol. My liver dysfunction is caused by some ongoing medication I have to take that effects my liver function along with other side effects. For you hike more than I have in the last 5 seasons you'll have to get moving, cause in the last five seasons I have traversed the AT in the smokies 11 times and completed 4 trips from springer to damscus,va and beyond. this was all done after I "escaped" from the Hospice I was living in. I too have used the trail to recover from a "horrible accident" in my case a criminal attack/robbery attempt that was perpetrated against me that caused some horrible after effects. I was lucky to have survived and it has been a long recovery.

Scott I am not against you, I wish you the best...be carefull..take care of yourself so that you will be able to continue to love and care for your family,
having you injured again or even killed in an "accident" would be devasting for your kids.

Alligator
07-27-2004, 10:53
You can feel the love in this room, the people cheering for the success of a fellow hiker. Community. Ah, good times.

Scott Rogers walked the first half of the trail. He tested his abilities on plenty of mountains and surely he felt that he had a reasonable chance for success. He had every right to climb the mountain that day, just as any flip-flopper does. We learn our limits by pushing our limits until the point that we fail. Scott hadn't reached his limit yet. Hell, they let SOBO's start from there without any demonstrated skills.;)

I'll admit, I didn't think Scott could climb the mountain. I thought he would get stuck at the boulder climb right before the tablelands. But he earned the right to try. When I read that he had climbed up the Abol trail, I was profoundly impressed. To be 200 ft. away from the summit, well, that's like being 200 ft away from someone in the mall. The hard part is over. I've been up both the Hunt and the Abol trails. The Abol is much harder, it basically follows an old slide up the mountain. To climb up that on one leg, quite an accomplishment.

He left at 4:30 am. That is hardly reckless, but rather a reasonable time to attempt to summit. He was almost at the top by 1:30 p.m., this after climbing the Abol trail. I would bet that he was equipped with day hiking gear, so he was prepared. He did make a serious mistake in assuming he was on the correct trail to the summit. People attempting Katahdin are often preoccupied mentally, especially at 4:30 in the morning. But I doubt that he will meet the criteria for being charged for the extraction.

SMS, Scott has demonstrated ample love and caring for his family. If you're going to be that nasty about his family life, PM him directly, instead of being mean behind his back.

P.S. Of course, I think he should be fined for using the cell on the mountain.

Alligator
07-27-2004, 10:57
Looks like I was a little slow here...:o

Pencil Pusher
07-27-2004, 11:22
Scott, the circumstances for you getting yanked off the mountain were what raised folks eyebrows. You should have a thicker skin after getting a ride and then reading this stuff. As soon as people get word a chopper yanked somebody, scrutiny arises. Suck it up and learn from your lesson. You still have the Whites and the 100-mile to go through, see if anyone can go with you to help you out. I can only guess that the Whites will present a formidable challenge for you, given the weather exposure. Take it one step at a time, soon enough this will blow over.

Had it been any other hiker, maybe it would've gotten a mentioning and most probably would've concurred they hoped the hiker got the bill. Maybe someone would've made a point of it. In your case, I bet you're not going to get a bill and most people probably suspect such. That is the difference here.

oruoja
07-27-2004, 12:13
Reference an earlier comment about a military provided airlift and who pays. Yes, it's good training, but a word of warning in that the government can bill you the cost for the chopper and crew time. In many cases depending on circumstances one's insurance may cover or the government can waive the fee, but don't count on that. Then comes the debate as to what a person's liability is and how to define their degree of fault in creating the circumstance and situation they find themselves in. Words such as careless and reckless make me cringe after spending over twenty years listening to the B.S. banter of attorneys and judges. The cost of rescue billing came about, especially in the Whites because of all those sneaker and T-shirt day trippers who despite warnings wander in too far or too high. Despite the publicity not a month goes by where another person or small group overextends their capability. As for AT hikers, injury and mishaps are almost like a job hazard for any continuous outdoor activity involving exertion over changing terrain and conditions. Be prepared, use common sense, and remember that some gear despite the weight of a few extra ounces here and there could save your life.

chomp
07-27-2004, 13:51
OK, lets see if I can express my point of view without bashing anyone. When you hike into the woods with a cell phone, there is a possibility that you can use that phone for a rescue. A rescue not only involves your safety, but the safety of everyone involved. Even on a perfect day, things can go wrong. Because of this, every time we step into the woods, we owe it to those would-be rescuers to be as prepared as possible.

I am not going to speculate on degrees of being prepared or not prepared. I am simply going to comment on One Legs decision to hike the Abol Trail rather than the Hunt Trail (which is detailed in HIS journal entry). It is every hikers responsibility to know what kind of shape that they are in and what kind of terrain they can handle. Bottom line - One Leg was not educated as to the trails and the trailheads in the park. I know he got some bad advice, but in the end responsibility for this falls to the individual.

It was irresponsible for him to try to climb an unknown trail in his condition (crutches - his hip hurt too much to wear his leg) with no assistance. It was irresponsible of him to continue past terrain that he knew he was unable to go back down (again, from his journal). Katahdin is known as the toughest single climb on the entire AT - attempting this mountain without good knowledge of the area is irresponsible. And, IMO, knowing what trail to take and what trailhead to start at is basic, required knowledge. If the state or whomever decides to charge for his rescue, I think that they would be justified.

chomp

And FWIW, I wish One Leg all the luck in finishing the trail. I think what he is attempting is huge, and I hope that he succeeds in his goal.

icemanat95
07-27-2004, 15:19
My gut feeling is they won't charge him for the ride. I think this is one of those situations that fall more under a varying shade of gray than black and white.

Actually I think this one is pretty straightforward in terms of the criteria. He was not physically prepared for what he got himself into. He misjudged the situation and what he needed to do to deal with it...he went up the wrong trail and never realized it until too late, then instead of doing the sensible thing and turning back to figure out where he went wrong, he forged on against the difficulties. The Abol Trail is a series of rock slides. It is a major PITA.

However, I don't think he'll be forced to pay, because he is disabled and because he has some PR visibility. I'm not sure I'd try to bill him were I in the position to. The PR downsides are HUGE.

Flash Hand
07-28-2004, 06:25
I was saddened to learn that One Leg had to face this situation. Its not because he was not prepared. Its not because he was irresponsible. Its all based on the huge stress he faced. He went through so many hard times and his stress already put toll on his mind. Not much people willing to donate more money. His family had to leave him alone hiking on the trail. With so many wet weathers had been wrecking his C-leg. Several falls he made, hurt him physically and mentally. I fall about three or four times during my hike, and was very pissed of about it. His van brake system wrecked him in the early hiking days on the AT. His C-leg is NOT HUMAN leg, it require power to make it operate. This year, wet weather had been very terrible and prevent his solar powered battery to receive power from Sun. He had to hear so many bad things about him... SO, its not his fault, its the stress that had put him off the trail.

IF you are not sure what stress is about, and now let look back at the headline news, I don't remember her name, a female who was denied admission to Cadet Academy in Virginia. She fought for two years to get in. Won the battle and got in the acadmey but shortly, withdrew because of the stress that had eaten her energy up.

Flash Hand

uphillklimber
07-28-2004, 08:14
I have a couple thoughts on this.

Let's look at cars. If your car breaks down, either by a careless act, deliberatly running it into a tree or no fault of your own, a wrecker is called and paid for his services, either thru a car club like AAA or out of pocket. If it was a malicious act, the police will add a citation. If driving an unsafe vehicle, an additional citation will follow.

Now let's look at boats. Suppose you break down in the ocean or on a lake. Want a ride back? A friendly boater may tow you, or you can call the coast guard or Warden service. There are some boat rescue services cropping up these days also. I suspect that the rescue service involved would like to be paid for services rendered.

Now to the trail. I think you all can see where I'm going on this subject now. It is not unreasonable to expect to paid for services rendered. I seem to remember that some states sell (obligatory, perhaps?) hiker's insurance. Essentially a pool of money to fund the genuine rescues of those who have hit upon some bad luck.

But I do have a twist to throw in here. The chopper rescue. Any military use of equipment is either one of two things. A mission, or a training exercise. The pilots and operators have to log "X" amount of flight time to maintain proficiency, and fuel cost and paychecks are expended whether used for rescue or not.

Since the chopper operational costs would be expended anyways, it would seem to me that not charging this fellow would be the right neighborly thing to do. This fellow had hiked from Geogia to Harper's Ferry and then headed up to Katahdin and was headed south (have I got that right?). If that is not an indication of his ready ability to take on the trail, I don't know what is. The amount of hiking he has done on that leg alone is more than I have done lifetime, not to mention all the preatory hikes leading up to this.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what policies are brought to bear here. I hope he is treated the same as any other hiker would be.

SGT Rock
07-28-2004, 09:13
It is hard for Scott to hike, face it. The couple of days I spent on the trail with him gave me a better understanding of how hard, but that was on what I would consider fairly easy trail - I can't begin to imagine how hard some places on the trail must have been for him.

We have all had times in hikes where we had to push through what looked like a tough spot, tough weather, or tough whatever - that is just a part of backpacking. I can see him now pushing through stuff on the trail he probably identified as hard and dangerous, but doing it with that positive mental attitude: "it will get better, this is just a tough spot". Yet it just kept getting harder until it overwhelmed him and he realized this was going to be a mad mother beyond his current health and skill.

To make it as far as he has means that he does have a way to look positively in any situation, and I am sure that he did what any of us would have done - use that positive attitude to keep going when things to a non-hiker or maybe a sane person would tell us to turn back. By the time he came to realize the situation he was in, I am sure he decided to do the right thing and stop. Knowing what he had pushed through ment knowing where he had to go back through. Given his helth and I am sure his sapped energy level by then, he did the right thing.

Anyway, Scott, if you read this and feel I have misrepresented you or I'm speaking out of place, I appologize. I hope the best for you, and I plan to continue to support and give advice whenever I can (even if it is bad advice ;))

Chappy
07-28-2004, 10:15
Scott,
I think most are hoping for your success. Hang in there.
Romans 8:34-35

Streamweaver
07-28-2004, 11:16
It is hard for Scott to hike, face it. The couple of days I spent on the trail with him gave me a better understanding of how hard, but that was on what I would consider fairly easy trail - I can't begin to imagine how hard some places on the trail must have been for him.

We have all had times in hikes where we had to push through what looked like a tough spot, tough weather, or tough whatever - that is just a part of backpacking. I can see him now pushing through stuff on the trail he probably identified as hard and dangerous, but doing it with that positive mental attitude: "it will get better, this is just a tough spot". Yet it just kept getting harder until it overwhelmed him and he realized this was going to be a mad mother beyond his current health and skill.

To make it as far as he has means that he does have a way to look positively in any situation, and I am sure that he did what any of us would have done - use that positive attitude to keep going when things to a non-hiker or maybe a sane person would tell us to turn back. By the time he came to realize the situation he was in, I am sure he decided to do the right thing and stop. Knowing what he had pushed through ment knowing where he had to go back through. Given his helth and I am sure his sapped energy level by then, he did the right thing.

Anyway, Scott, if you read this and feel I have misrepresented you or I'm speaking out of place, I appologize. I hope the best for you, and I plan to continue to support and give advice whenever I can (even if it is bad advice ;))

I agree Sarge!! How can any of us know our limit until we reach it. Streamweaver

One Leg
07-28-2004, 11:20
This is the most recent posting from my website:

Awesome news: I went to the doctor this morning, and heard good news. He said that there's no evidence of a fracture in the hip, that I suffered a severely bruised bone, but that it's almost totally healed up now. While it still hurts to wear the leg, if I give it another week, I should do well enough to complete the hike. I have a friend who's commited to hike with me through the 100 mile wilderness. After that, I'll need folks to hike with me through the mahoosics & whites. I think that Roland Irish is working in terms of finding someone to hike, but in the event that we can't locate anyone, if you're interested in hiking with me through those rough parts, please contact me. We're going to leave here on Monday, August 9, 2004 and drive to Maine. I should begin the hike (again) on the 12th. Leisa & children will be going with me, and hope that funds come through that will enable them to remain with me. I'm so excited to learn that my hike isn't over!

I shouldn't have "gone off" like I did on here yesterday, and am totally ashamed of my actions. I apologize to any and all that I've offended. The only excuse I offer, though no excuse for childish actions exists, is that I've been under an insurmountable amount of pressure lately, and coming on here and reading how viciously others have spoken of me just simply threw me over the proverbial edge. I must now concentrate my energy and efforts to finishing what I've started: completing my hike of the A.T. My thanks goes out to my fellow WBers, as you all have played a major role in my planning, and subsequent hike, of the A.T. It is my sincerest hope that I will return here in a few months, hold my head high and proudly proclaim that I am a graduate of the class of '04.

Scott 'One-Leg' Rogers

Lone Wolf
07-28-2004, 11:23
I'm sorry too. I wish you well.

Tin Man
07-28-2004, 11:26
I agree Sarge!! How can any of us know our limit until we reach it. Streamweaver

I agree too. Great post Sarge. In my opinion, Scott's limits, tolerance, and persistance are well beyond what most of us can even imagine let alone handle.

Keep the faith Scott. Keep going. You have many more supporters than detractors.

SavageLlama
07-28-2004, 11:55
Scott, good to hear you're going back to the trail. Your persistence is admirable.

Best of luck with the 100-mile Wilderness.. and its many river crossings. I hope that leg is waterproof. :D

Streamweaver
07-28-2004, 12:14
I guess I kinda owe Oneleg an apology too,I posted that there was nothing about him being injured in his journal so I must have missed the part about his hip being hurt. I never meant it as criticism but maybe I spoke to soon.Anyway good luck Scott !! Streamweaver

smokymtnsteve
07-28-2004, 13:16
Good Luck Scott, I can appreciate the hard work and stress that you have been in, I KNOW, I just don't want to see you hurt or die on the trail. Both of us have considerable EXTRA challenges to overcome, I urge you to make very considered desicions, I know how hard it is to make some of these desicions, more than once I have had to turn back because conditions or my body were not within the range to hike safely. Hiking the whole AT is great if someone wants to, but at what cost??? It is not worth your life Scott, you have nothing to prove, what you have already done is more than extraordinary, PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

Plan Ahead and Prepare, the first LNT principal, for your safety...Please

as the wise old-timer SGT ROCK once told me..Sometimes folks that think they disagree actually agree more than they think.

If you decide to yo-yo on down south this winter..maybe we could do some hiking,,,,I bet we have more in common than you may think

One Leg
07-28-2004, 13:27
Steve:
I'd be honored to hike with you, and with LW if he'd be interested..
Given your name, is it safe to assume that you live in or near the Smokies? If so, we're not far apart geographically either. I live just west of Morristown.

-Scott

weary
07-28-2004, 13:52
Scott, good to hear you're going back to the trail. Your persistence is admirable.

Best of luck with the 100-mile Wilderness.. and its many river crossings. I hope that leg is waterproof. :D

Hiking any Katahdin Trail with an artificial leg is an incredibly difficult thing. But if I read the previous posts correctly, that is no excuse to be on the summit tableland an hour before darkness and having to call for a rescue.

Accidents happen. Sometimes rescues are necessary. But to deliberately keep going beyond the point where returning on your own power is not possible is simply irresponsible. At some point on every difficult hike responsible hikers have to make the decision about whether to turn back or not.

It is not accceptible in my opinion to keep going beyond the point of no return and then using a cell phone to call for a rescue. It's irresponsible to use a cell phone to deliberately put oneself into a situation where rescue becomes inevitable or certainly very likely.

Weary

Alligator
07-28-2004, 14:01
Hiking any Katahdin Trail with an artificial leg is an incredibly difficult thing. But if I read the previous posts correctly, that is no excuse to be on the summit tableland an hour before darkness and having to call for a rescue.

WearyThe first post links to Scott's page. Go to the source. He was on the tablelands at 1:30, so you have characterized his situation wrong.

orangebug
07-28-2004, 14:07
It is not accceptible in my opinion to keep going beyond the point of no return and then using a cell phone to call for a rescue. It's irresponsible to use a cell phone to deliberately put oneself into a situation where rescue becomes inevitable or certainly very likely.

Actually, I think he used crutches to get to the tablelands. The cell phone was used to alert family of his predicament.

I hope that this doesn't continue to be a "Bash Steve, the One Legged Wonder" thread. Yup, he is human and pushed his limits. Nope, he didn't seek to climb Katahdin just to use a cell phone and take a helicopter ride. Yup, he did the appropriate thing for LNT. I hate when someone finds human bones on Katahdin.

Bill...

One Leg
07-28-2004, 14:34
Weary:

You're a prime example of speaking without first knowing all of the facts.
And, since the facts obviously aren't all out there, I think it's time to get them out there.

I didn't hike until 7:30 and "suddenly decide" that I needed to be rescued.
On the morning of July 21, I began my summit at 4:30am, which is more than adequate time for most hikers to make their ascent and descent. By 2:00 in the afternoon, I realized that, after hiking for 9.5 hours, and being 200' from the summit, I was in serious trouble. I was so high up, that it was dangerous for me to attempt a descent on that particular trail given the exhaustion that I felt. I couldn't get a good handgrip on the rocks to pull myself up, and when I was able to get a handgrip, I didn't have the left leg to gain a purchase point to hoist myself up. I did the only thing that seemed rational to me, I called my wife. I didn't call 9-1-1, I didn't call the park director's office, I called my wife back home in Tennessee. She made the call to Buzz Caverly's office, not that it really makes a difference who made what call from where.

Buzz obtained my cellphone number from Leisa, and he called me to assess the situation as best he could over the phone. He made the determination to send 2 rangers to assist me. He assured me that he knew that my situation of helplessness wasn't being perceived as a planned action on my part, and that he'd get me down from there. At that point in time, I had no clue how he was going to go about aiding me off the mountain, I just placed my hopes and trust in the man to do what he said he was going to do. At that point in time, he was my lifeline, and I am to this day very grateful for Buzz Cavelry.

When the rangers finally reached me, it was just after 5:00pm in the afternoon. They made decisions based on questions they asked me: Do you hurt? Do you have a medical history that we need to know about? Do you think that you can make it to the summit if we help you? Etc.

It was only after they concluded their line of questioning that I learned that there would be a helicopter involved. I told them that I would be able to make a descent if they were willing to go with me, but they said "This way's a lot faster, and it's already been approved." At that time, I still did not know that these 2 rescuers were the very ones who, less than 24 hours prior, had stretcher-carried an 81 year old woman off of the mountain. Nor did I know that there had been a rescue per day since the previous Saturday, with one of the rescues being the removal of a deceased day hiker. I don't see where it would have made much of a difference had I known anyway, as I perceived myself to be in trouble, and didn't see a way out of the situation without some outside assistance. I do realize that things would have had a much different outcome had I had someone else along with me. Some have accused me of 'poor planning'. I had the necessary equipment. I had adequate food, water, and clothing. I started early in the morning at 4:30am. Please, if there's some other way I could have planned, let me know so that this scenario doesn't repeat itself. The only thing that I could've done differently that I am now implementing in my planning process is to have an able-bodied individual go with me to assist when/if the need arises.

We made the summit shortly after 7:30pm, and the helicopter landed around 8:00pm. The helicopter transported myself, the 2 rescuers, and another hiker who came along to assist, to the Millinocket Airport. Buzz Cavelry met us there, and took us to a local eatery to make sure that we had a good meal. He then returned us to Baxter State Park and made sure we had accommodations for the evening. The following morning, he sent personel to ensure that we had transportation to where we needed to go.(Ie: an escort out of the park)

Am I proud of the events that unfolded on July 21, 2004? Absolutely not. If I could go back and undo that day, I surely would. I would like to return to Katahdin to settle my score with that mountain, but I won't have that opportunity this year. Buzz, politely yet firmly, told me that the '04 season at BHP was concluded for me. In parting, he said "If you feel that it's not, please bring $10,000.00 with you the next time, as that's what it costs to operate the helicopter." I hate it with a passion that I was the source of tension for an already tired department, but am ever so grateful that they were there during my time of need.

In closing, it is my hope that before anyone here opts to toss out criticism before knowing all of the facts, that they would take the time to at least attempt to learn the facts before offering an opinion. I guess if I had my innermost desire come to life here, it would be that we would all support and encourage one another as hikers to go out and do our best, and to not beat ourselves up when we fail. There's not a one among us here who hasn't at one time or another done something foolish or stupid that required outside assistance to get out of. I just hope that lightning stops hitting in my direction so I can finish my hike.

Please be gentle,

-Scott

weary
07-28-2004, 14:51
Weary:

here's not a one among us here who hasn't at one time or another done something foolish or stupid that required outside assistance to get out of. I just hope that lightning stops hitting in my direction so I can finish my hike.

Please be gentle,

-Scott

Something foolish or stupid? Me? Never. Well. maybe once or twice. Hmmm a few times. Certainly, only rarely -- no more than once a year ... or maybe once a week -- or a day.

Weary

Lone Wolf
07-28-2004, 15:10
Scott, maybe I'll meet you in Penn. somewhere and hike for awhile. Would do my fat ass good.

smokymtnsteve
07-28-2004, 15:14
Steve:
I'd be honored to hike with you, and with LW if he'd be interested..
Given your name, is it safe to assume that you live in or near the Smokies? If so, we're not far apart geographically either. I live just west of Morristown.

-Scott

the Honor would be mine Scott.

but hiking with LONE WOLF???

somethings are beyond my limits :D

Flash Hand
07-28-2004, 15:59
the Honor would be mine Scott.

but hiking with LONE WOLF???

somethings are beyond my limits :D

because his howling would bother your sleep? :bse

Flash Hand :jump

MedicineMan
07-28-2004, 22:31
Here's what I got out of the above--
You summitted Katahdin! woohoo!
I dont remember anyone saying you have to hike down, so you completed that section, horraah for the Tennesseans :)
So that's the bottom line for me Scott, so start heading south.

TedB
07-29-2004, 03:04
...didn't see a way out of the situation without some outside assistance...

...Please, if there's some other way I could have planned, let me know so that this scenario doesn't repeat itself...

Well if you had a tarp and a sleeping bag in your pack, which together weigh about 3 pounds, you could have spent the night up top, and come down in the morning once you were well rested. If you didn't have such gear with you, no doubt you still could have made it down, but it would have been a cold sleepless night, not much fun. Probably not that safe either, so I'm not sure if I blame you for taking the chopper out. I can't remember, but I think I brought my sleeping bag with me when I climbed Katahdin. I've certainly had people tell me that taking one is a good idea when going above treeline.

The best way to get out of a sticky situation is to recognize what is happening as early as possible, and react accordingly before it reaches a crisis. Often easier said than done, but at the heart of this situation is that you didn't listen to your body as you slowly exhausted your reserves. You didn't listen to your body as you slowly exhausted your reserves. You didn't listen to your body as you slowly exhausted your reserves. I have done the same thing before, and had a run in with hypothermia. It was a learning experience, one I don't want to repeat. There is a saying good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

I wish you well on your hike, and I'm very impressed by what you have accomplished so far.

Chappy
07-29-2004, 08:15
I love happy endings! Nice to see the turnaround. :sun

MedicineMan
08-01-2004, 23:28
was looking at your pics at trailjournals and found the one with the kids and Sgt.Rock---awesome photo! good to see you two nuturing the wee ones in the hiking ways :)

SavageLlama
08-03-2004, 10:18
New pics - including some of the helicopter rescue on Katahdine.. http://www.onelegwonder.com/page4.html

http://onelegwonder.com///HelicopterRescue.jpg

Colter
08-03-2004, 11:03
Some have accused me of 'poor planning'. I had the necessary equipment. I had adequate food, water, and clothing. I started early in the morning at 4:30am. Please, if there's some other way I could have planned, let me know so that this scenario doesn't repeat itself.

I think there are many things that could have been done to avoid this rescue.

One would be to pick an easier trail, as had been suggested to you before the hike.

Bring your own able-bodied friends to assist you.

Rest or sleep on the mountain until you were ready to go on. (If you didn't have the necessary gear, you weren't prepared.)

Not climb Katahdin at all.

There were no injuries or unusual weather conditions involved here. The problem as I see it was purely fatigue. Bad judgement was responsible for this expensive rescue. In my opinion, no one has a "right" to climb Katahdin or hike the AT.

Every one makes mistakes, I know I certainly have. The Rangers on Katahdin surely recognize there were some serious mistakes made that resulted in this $10,000 rescue. I agree with them.

I think we all support One-Leg in his courageous hike, but I think we should also recognize poor judgment when we see it. It is, after all, poor judgment that is the root cause of most back-country rescues.

warren doyle
08-03-2004, 11:47
Great thread of a provocative/inspiring journey.

One point however:

Scott, in post #64, you state, "I would like to return to Katahdin to settle my score with that mountain."

This is a dangerous attitude/philosophy to take with you, and not a very 'gentle' one either. If anyone, one or two-legged, expects to complete the entire AT in one hiking season, they have to learn to 'flow' with the trail rather than 'fight' it. You have to learn to be cooperative with the trail, rather than combative.

If you don't change this attitude/philosophy before you head south through Maine. I'm afraid the 'score' might look something like this:

Barren-Chairback Range 1 Scott 0
Bigelow Range 1 Scott 0
Crocker-Spaulding-Saddleback Range 1 Scott 0
Bemis-Old Blue-Moody-Baldpate Range 1 Scott 0
Mahoosucs 1 Scott 0

May I suggest you read my one-page 'book' at my website?

This advice is given in a gentle, wise manner.

One Leg
08-03-2004, 12:06
Warren: I used a bad choice of words when I said in post 64 that I'd like to return and "settle my score"......What I meant to say, and should have said, was that I'd like to return to Katahdin for another chance at touching the sign.

Colter (and others): Mistakes were made at Katahdin, and there's no masking that. There may be some 'perfect' hikers out there who don't make mistakes. Sorry that I can't be one of them. This is all a learning process for me, and if I don't make an occassional mistake, then I can't learn from it.

There's a saying that I use quite frequently: Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, you can't get it back in. You can only clean up the mess and move on. What I am attempting to do is to clean up the mess and move on. Thank you for reminding me of my mistake(s), but I think I've learned from them. Can I move on now?

TJ aka Teej
08-03-2004, 13:55
From the first page of this thread;

He certainly did more AT miles this year than most WhiteBlaze and TrailJournal readers. I hope his critics will remember that before commenting.
Pardon me for repeating myself.

Colter
08-03-2004, 15:45
From the first page of this thread;

Pardon me for repeating myself.

And I hope everyone remembers that who you are or how many miles you've logged will not prevent a rescue if you make the wrong bad choices.

The accomplishments of the rest of One-Legs hike and the rescue on Katahdin are two separate issues. I believe it's very important to recognize that.

I believe you can learn from mistakes, and that includes the mistakes of OTHERS. That is why I've felt compelled to be a part of this thread. Too many people, including One-Leg, seemed, in my opinion, to feel that either there were no bad choices or the bad choices were OK due to the special challenges One-Leg has faced.

Lone Wolf
08-03-2004, 16:03
The trail between Springer and Harpers Ferry does not in anyway prepare anyone for hiking Katahdin or any other northern mountain above treeline.

Mountain Dew
08-03-2004, 23:28
Lone Wolf ---"The trail between Springer and Harpers Ferry does not in anyway prepare anyone for hiking Katahdin or any other northern mountain above treeline." --- How about conditioning Wolf ? I think the conditioning one gets from Springer to Harpers Ferry is a major assistance in hiking the northern mountains. I might also add that any hiker can't help but to get smarter in his actions and what he carries by Harpers Ferry as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
---To all the harsh critics of S. Rogers out there I say this... Have you forgotten that the hiking community is suppose to support one another ?

Chappy
08-04-2004, 08:58
Lone Wolf To all the harsh critics of S. Rogers out there I say this... Have you forgotten that the hiking community is suppose to support one another ?

Good point! Of course, that happens only when the hiking community agrees with you (just my personal opinion based on some of the threads). :)

I'm sure ATTroll is somewhat dismayed at the route WB travels on occasion. I don't want to speak for him, but I think the purpose of WB was for education and support of the hiking community. Of course, the further you get from the beginning the less something looks like the founders intended.

Jaybird
08-31-2004, 06:15
a call from Scott "OneLeg" Rogers several times this past wkend.

Scott tells me he & family are doing well....his hike is going slow..but has made it to the southern end of the 100 Mile Wilderness near Monson,MAINE as of Sat.Aug 28th. He is currently hiking w/ "T-Track" (Tom Gephart)
& plans to meet up & hike with "Baltimore Jack" sometime soon.

OneLeg's wife: Leisa & kids are following close by in their van...although they are having engine probs....again.

OneLeg is planning (as of this moment) to attend the WhiteBlaze gathering.
So, drop by & say "Hello" :D

www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg (http://www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg)