PDA

View Full Version : Whiteblaze - the next step

Egads
08-30-2009, 17:27
We've seen quite a few changes here. Is Whiteblaze evolving from a AT hikers forum to just another social website?

modiyooch
08-30-2009, 17:38
just look at the threads that get the most post such as "pm's are not private"

vs Morgan Briggs and how his backcountry expertise saved his life.

Phreak
08-30-2009, 17:39
One big pissing contest is what WB has become (for the most part).

Lone Wolf
08-30-2009, 17:43
We've seen quite a few changes here. Is Whiteblaze evolving from a AT hikers forum to just another social website?

more of a Trailplace site

Tin Man
08-30-2009, 17:45
just a bunch of folks trading stories around the campfire. once you get right foot, left foot, repeat down, then stories is what's left.

the internet makes some of the stories a little more interesting is all.

Tin Man
08-30-2009, 17:46

sort of, but with a little less peace

max patch
08-30-2009, 17:50
Whiteblaze -- a wholly owned subsidiary of Facebook.

ed bell
08-30-2009, 18:02
How is it possible to sum up what people get out of this site, and why would anyone want to? Nobody's hands but your own are on the mouse and keyboard, at least that's how I learned to use the internets.:cool: So much hand-wringing going on today.

Tin Man
08-30-2009, 18:11
http://www.greatdad.com/images/upload/July3_daddyhome_sentimental.gif

saimyoji
08-30-2009, 18:12
i mostly come here for the babes. :)

Pedaling Fool
08-30-2009, 18:20
When I'm hiking with others, most of the conversation isn't about hiking. When I'm hiking by myself a vast majority of my thoughts are not about hiking. This is also true with my cycling tours.

I know some can talk endlessly about hiking related stuff, but I can't.
If the powers-that-be of this website were to limit ALL talk to hiking stuff that's their choice, but the activity would go way down.

The problem isn't all the extra curricular discussions, it's the emotionally unstable element, which comes out regardless if we are talking about fishing or the definition of a thru-hiker.

Jonnycat
08-30-2009, 18:23
http://i26.tinypic.com/1si454.gif

Survivor Dave
08-30-2009, 18:27

What do you propose to make it more of a hiking web site?

warraghiyagey
08-30-2009, 18:36
What do you propose to make it more of a hiking web site?
Less posting, more hiking. . .

saimyoji
08-30-2009, 18:42
Less posting, more hiking. . .

the irony of this post is staggering... makes me wanna go kick some kittens and eat their brains......

atraildreamer
08-30-2009, 18:48
How is it possible to sum up what people get out of this site, and why would anyone want to? Nobody's hands but your own are on the mouse and keyboard, at least that's how I learned to use the internets.:cool: So much hand-wringing going on today.

Ed, maybe you can set up a W&B (Whiners & Bellyachers) forum here at WB. to allow these disaffected posters to vent.:-? Lots of complaints about this site, and former sites: eg.- Trailplace, but how many complainers have offered to help out with these sites.:confused: It takes a lot of work, not to mention $$$, to maintain a website like WB and the BS and stress that attroll and the moderators have to deal with must get pretty intense at times.:mad: Add in the problems brought about by the recession, everyday family problems, etc., and I am amazed how you guys, and gals (pardon my non-pc sexism :D) can deal with it! :eek:

Personally, I can't offer too much in the way of financial support, and my ancient laptop and connection is not up to the task of being a moderator, so all I can do is attempt to (sometimes not too successfully! :D) make posts that contribute to the spirit of the Appalachian Trail experience (the hiking of which, by the way, has been described as a SOCIAL, and outdoor experience), that WB is trying to make enjoyable for all interested members of this website.

I have taken much useful information from WB, and in turn, have tried to contribute what I can that is within the spirit and topic range of WB.

Pardon my venting...I'm going to go away now for awhile and try to figure out what I can do to help the WB site.:-?

Survivor Dave
08-30-2009, 18:50
the irony of this post is staggering... makes me wanna go kick some kittens and eat their brains......

Bizarre Foods with Saimyoji? Call the Travel Channel.:D

vonfrick
08-30-2009, 19:05

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/funny-pictures-cat-cannot-brain-today.jpg

neighbor dave
08-30-2009, 19:20
don't overthink it, it's just another hiking forum.
you're better off hiking, and enjoying life, than spending your time on here talking about what could be, or has been

The Weasel
08-30-2009, 19:26

don't overthink it, it's just another hiking forum.
you're better off hiking, and enjoying life, than spending your time on here talking about what could be, or has been

LW is dead right. And Dave is a tragically right: WB is now just another hiking forum. It was special for a long time, and now, yeah, it TrailPlace without Dan. Worth reading to find out about some gear, and events along the trail, and maybe whether a shelter or hostel or motel is open, closed, or inbetween. In short, it's a guidebook, but you have to be on line to see it. Those who don't know what it was, and could still be, think it's about complaining and flaming. It's not. But this is what it is. A good place to learn about beer can stoves, and how to behave in a hostel. Things that are not without worth, but hardly unique.

TW

Bearpaw
08-30-2009, 20:17
WB used to be a fairly anti-social social website. Then enough folks complained so moderators started working hard to keep it more focused on being an AT Hikers forum.

Take your pick.

The Weasel
08-30-2009, 20:29
The 'anti-social' days stemmed from the Politics forums, which wisely were abandoned. Before that, it was a very unique place, without being anti-social. Someday perhaps the pendulum will swing back to that kind of place.

TW

Blissful
08-30-2009, 20:31
You get a hiker forum, people complain its boring.

You get a social forum, people say its fighting and complain no one is talking about hiking.

No one is happy, no matter what you do.

Bearpaw
08-30-2009, 20:59
No one is happy, no matter what you do.

Well, I keep hoping at least SOME people are happy. :)

vonfrick
08-30-2009, 21:00

happy happy here! :sun:banana

jnanagardener
08-30-2009, 21:24
I've only recently joined WB and I am impressed and thankful for the great information. From where I sit it looks like hiking is still front and center and the moderators do a great job of preserving the focus of threads AND WITHOUT JUDGMENT (something that is a way cool bonus!) Will I ever thru-hike the AT, like I proudly declared to my students on the first day of class last week in a discussion about our "bucket-lists"? Well I can occasionally hike locally and check Whiteblaze to keep the fire burning!

Cookerhiker
08-30-2009, 21:25
I'm happy with WB. :) I join discussions I'm interested in (mostly hiking) and ignore the others. Through WB, I've met other hikers/lovers of outdoors. Does that make it a "social" network? I don't care - WB is what it is. What's the big deal?

emerald
08-30-2009, 21:25

Put me on your list of happy people. My remaining grievances are minor and I believe they will be resolved in time.:)

Complaining seems to be how some people let the rest of the world know they are still alive. Since I can't figure out what people are complaining about most of the time, it may be possible they don't know either or can't communicate it.

truthisnature
08-30-2009, 21:35
I love all the information that WB has provided me....While my thru hike must wait till 2016 I love the AT and want to learn all I can before my adventure begins.

As with any gathering of folks you will have the whiners and the know it alls and those that always have to have the last word.......Ignore 'em, they will go away sooner or later. No point stressing over it because they only person you have control of is yourself.
Thank you to all those that make WB a great site.

Tinker
08-30-2009, 22:10
When I'm hiking with others, most of the conversation isn't about hiking. When I'm hiking by myself a vast majority of my thoughts are not about hiking. This is also true with my cycling tours.

I know some can talk endlessly about hiking related stuff, but I can't.
If the powers-that-be of this website were to limit ALL talk to hiking stuff that's their choice, but the activity would go way down.

The problem isn't all the extra curricular discussions, it's the emotionally unstable element, which comes out regardless if we are talking about fishing or the definition of a thru-hiker.

UNUSUALLY BIG LETTERS ARE AN EYESORE. I USUALLY DON'T READ POSTS WITH BIG LETTERS.
Sorry, John.;)

Tinker
08-30-2009, 22:12
Yeah. A social website for people who like to hike.
Would it be better if it were antisocial? :D

Gray Blazer
08-30-2009, 22:44
It is a website for Appalachian Trail Enthusuiasts. What are you?
There are other websites.:D

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 22:45
just look at the threads that get the most post such as "pm's are not private"

vs Morgan Briggs and how his backcountry expertise saved his life.

Well, I think some of that has to do with the fact that there are some threads where no posts other than those thanking the original poster are necessary, and others where the asked for information is given in the first page or so, obviating the need for more posts. "PM's are not private," on the other hand, could keep going until we're all dead.

I love all the information that WB has provided me....While my thru hike must wait till 2016 I love the AT and want to learn all I can before my adventure begins.

As with any gathering of folks you will have the whiners and the know it alls and those that always have to have the last word.......Ignore 'em, they will go away sooner or later. No point stressing over it because they only person you have control of is yourself.
Thank you to all those that make WB a great site.

Here's the thing -- I see an awful lot of people write that whiteblaze is informative and helpful. Does it need to be more than that? Entertaining is nice, once in a while. Overall, I think whiteblaze has, and continues to have, the right mix going on.

But to be perfectly honest, truthisnature, I'm never going away.

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 22:46

NOT by a long shot. Goodnight Folks.

MikenSalem
08-30-2009, 23:16
It is what it is and it won't stay like it is now for long. Life without growth is decay and death soon follows. I'm new and there's more coming or this site will eventually just fold. With each new person the overall atmosphere will change and it will be good or it will suck get stale and be forgotten. There seems to be allot of "old timers" and new folks too. Some folks get worked up over a post then the same crowd is commenting together to help a newbie like me out. Seems allot like family on here way better than facebook or twitter. Families vent and rage but in the end they stick together for each other. Thanks to you all and God Bless Whiteblaze

Monkeyboy
08-30-2009, 23:23

I used to be happy, but I got over it.........

Tin Man
08-30-2009, 23:28

I got over it, now I am happy. :)

Mags
08-31-2009, 00:05
Will I ever thru-hike the AT, like I proudly declared to my students on the first day of class last week in a discussion about our "bucket-lists"? Well I can occasionally hike locally and check Whiteblaze to keep the fire burning!

...and WB (and hiking websites) aren't just for thru-hikers. Get out there, have fun and share your stories when you get back. :) I've hiked x amount of miles and I am still learning! :welcome

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2009, 08:27
UNUSUALLY BIG LETTERS ARE AN EYESORE. I USUALLY DON'T READ POSTS WITH BIG LETTERS.
Sorry, John.;)
I promise I'll never post again before my first cup of coffee, therefore I'll always be happy, happy, happy:sun

kanga
08-31-2009, 09:19

happy happy here! :sun:banana
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/movie_boy1489/famous%20stuff/ren_and_stimpy2b1.jpg

kanga
08-31-2009, 09:19
hoy crap that was big!

yaduck9
08-31-2009, 09:42
Somehow, Kanga, that's not an image I would like to remember.

CowHead
08-31-2009, 10:01
Where else can you drink coffee hear about the trail, ponder the meaning of life and not be worry that you need to pack your poo out

brotheral
08-31-2009, 10:01
"Happiness" is a choice... You can decide to be happy or waste your time looking for reasons to be upset.... ;) :)
I've enjoyed this forum since joining. I choose what threads to spend my time viewing.. Works just fine :welcome

kanga
08-31-2009, 10:13
Where else can you drink coffee hear about the trail, ponder the meaning of life and not be worry that you need to pack your poo out
well said.:sun

kanga
08-31-2009, 10:13
sorry?:o

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 10:47
I sure would love to know what the "special" and "unique" WB was. I have spent time on many a forum, mostly cars/food/DIY types. I have yet to find a forum that is "unique" in any way. All the ones I have been on are just social networks comprised of people who have a common intrest. Just like this one. There are always chit-chat non-sense threads, serious threads, hate threads (that usually get closed or deleted) and then bitching threads, all mixed in with little tid bits of the topic that binds all the members. So please, and I am serious here, tell me what was different about WB.

kanga
08-31-2009, 10:50
i am here and not there.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 10:52
i am here and not there.
That was priceless. Really. I would give you a black bean of reputation, if they had those cheesy things here.

yaduck9
08-31-2009, 10:53
sorry?:o

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

No worries, its a guy thing.:p

chefjason
08-31-2009, 11:06
You don't like Ren and Stempy?!

No worries, its a guy thing.:p
Um, huh?

kanga
08-31-2009, 11:17
Um, huh?
i think he means it was two boy characters bumping butts. but i could be wrong.

Teatime
08-31-2009, 11:40
We need another Minnesotasmith thru-hike to bring things back in focus!

kanga
08-31-2009, 11:45
that is the funniest thing i have read all day!

Chaco Taco
08-31-2009, 11:59
I think you are all a bunch of buttholes personally:D:D

I havent been around too long but I have met a great many of you. I think once it gets more personal it looses its excitement here.

Thank goodness the crap has been taken out recently.:banana

Ladytrekker
08-31-2009, 12:07
I am personally grateful for this site, whenever, I have a question I come here I can usually find it or ask it. There is such a wealth of knowledge from experienced hikers on this site. It gives everyone a common meeting place and we should be thankful for it. I run an organized group (not for money just because) my out of pocket costs run amuck sometimes and takes enourmous amount of my time working the website, so you need to appreciate the fact that someone started and gave us this vehicle to congregate. I personally want to say thank you.

It is also a good place to come visit while I am at work and cannot be in the woods.

Cookerhiker
08-31-2009, 12:54
We need another Minnesotasmith thru-hike to bring things back in focus!

Isn't he thruhiking right now?

Lone Wolf
08-31-2009, 12:56
Isn't he thruhiking right now?

yeah. he's all through. off the trail

Tin Man
08-31-2009, 13:33

yep, no WB thread to keep him going :rolleyes:

kanga
08-31-2009, 13:55
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

max patch
08-31-2009, 14:00
I sure would love to know what the "special" and "unique" WB was.

It wasn't. Just a forum.

And while WB can be a good source of information if you can filter past all the crap, in the very early days of the site most of thru hiking questions were answered by people who had not thru hiked. Neither of the 2 thru hiking mods had done a thru. A lot of just plain bad info was given out. The site is much improved now with the number of thru hikers that have joined and participate.

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 14:39
I sure would love to know what the "special" and "unique" WB was. I have spent time on many a forum, mostly cars/food/DIY types. I have yet to find a forum that is "unique" in any way. All the ones I have been on are just social networks comprised of people who have a common intrest. Just like this one. There are always chit-chat non-sense threads, serious threads, hate threads (that usually get closed or deleted) and then bitching threads, all mixed in with little tid bits of the topic that binds all the members. So please, and I am serious here, tell me what was different about WB.

I'll try, Chef, since that's a fair question as you present it. Others may have different viewpoints.

In 2002, a number of us felt that Dan Bruce had become extremely rigid in making TrailPlace a combination of (a) trail information (if it agreed with Dan's point of view) and (b) viewpoints on trail issues that were only acceptable if they were in pretty full agreement with Dan's point of view. As a result, there were a large number of deletions from people who had honest differences of opinion with Dan and each other. On more than a few occasions, people were banned from TrailPlace for varying lengths of time, or "counseled" as Jack Tarlin recalls occurring with him that he could post what he wanted as long as it was edited by Dan. (Here, that's called being on "moderated status"). A number of us felt that wasn't how a great site should be. So WB was started by "Easy" who, several months later, gave the site to ATTroll and Sgt Rock. I was involved in much of that, so I recall it well.

The goal here was to have a site where people could speak their mind about any topic related to the AT and backpacking, as long as it did not become personally offensive or profane. That meant, for instance, that LW could let people know he thought shelters were a bad idea, and others could tell him they thought he was dead wrong. It also got into what were considered "small p" political issues, relating to the environment as it affects the AT, in which conservative viewpoints were welcome as well as liberal ones like Dan's were (and which were the ONLY ones really allowed on TP). Discussions were free-wheeling, sometimes with strong opinions, but rarely with personal antagonism showing. Threads were allowed to continue, including with continental-sized thread drift, until they died of their own weight (if they died). You learned a lot not just about facts, but feelings and attitudes towards the Trail, including ones that differed from your own.

Things got way out of hand as Capital P politics forums were added, which got heated, a few years later. (2005, I think.) That led to a lot of vitriolic hostility on the part of many of us that was unfortunate. As a result, those threads were terminated and more moderators were added.

That has resulted, in the opinion of some here (including me), in WB becoming far more heavilty moderated than is necessary to prevent the nastiness of the Politics Forums. It seems that quite a few posts are deleted for very minor, if not trivial, "TOS" violations, and threads are often closed now when moderators - one, primarily - say, "There is nothing more that can be said so this thread is closed," which to some of us seems like censorship. Other times, threads are closed, posts deleted or other actions taken when a moderator seems to overreact about "hostility." In short, much of the character of WB, in being a site where people could really discuss things frankly about trail topics is gone.

Thus, there is much to learn, for example, in the Warren/Jack debate, or about how to act in hostels, or weapons on the trail. Some of the posts can, and should, be as polite as a church school; others can be bawdy, accusatory, even wildly sarcastic without being having to be deleted or terminated. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, go to TrailPlace even now, where there is a set of behavior rules, express and implied, that throttle much of the fun of sharing viewpoints. Some of us are concerned that WB has moved too much in that direction.

I don't know if that helps, or if it matters to you. To some, finding out about the best pack, or what a shelter is like, is all they are looking for. For others, it's a bit more.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2009, 15:08
Just want to clear up a few things:

*I had nothing to do with the start of this website. A casual reading of
the first paragraph of Weasel's post might lead one to think otherwise; one
might further think that I was one of the folks who was looking for a new
place because I was disgruntled or angry with Dan Bruce.

*I left Trailplace for any number of reasons, not all of which Weasel is aware
of, and I really wish he'd left me out of his comments altogether. I never
really had much of a beef with the way Dan ran Trailplace; it was, after all,
his website. In retrospect, I think most of the folks that got kicked off the
site probably deserved it, and it astounds me that many of them still carp on
this years and years later. My voluntary departure from Trailplace was
more a matter of clashing personalities than it was with anger over how Dan
ran his website. But honestly, this years of complaining about how a
website is operated.......this gets a little ridiculous. You don't like how a
guy operates his own personal website? Easy. Don't go there, or start your
own site.

*I also want to make it clear that I have no complaints whatsoever about
how this website is administered. I think the folks that run the website are
doing a great job, and likewise, the various administrators. I've had
dealings with just about all of them in regards to some of my own posts, as
well as my questions or complaints about stuff posted by others. I haven't
always agreed with the decisions or the reasoning of the Moderators, but in
my correspondence with them, without exception, they've been prompt,
civil, helpful, and very open. I therefore didn't much care for the recent
bitch session "Who's your favorite moderator!" which quickly degenerated
into anonymous personal attacks. I think if you have a beef with a
particular individual or administrator, you'd do best to contact that person
privately. But do I think that the present website is overly moderated or
censored? No, I do not, and it's unfortunate that Weasel's capsule history
of Whiteblaze might lead folks to think otherwise.

In short, I think Whiteblaze in its present incarnation is just fine, and that people that spend more than a few minutes worrying about this alleged burning issue have too much time on their hands.

Terraducky
08-31-2009, 15:14

Gotta agree with this one WHen the chatting gets too much scroll till you find what you need!

Lone Wolf
08-31-2009, 15:17

the only thing i get out of this site is entertainment. i never use it for trail info. i already know everything there is to know

Jester2000
08-31-2009, 15:28
the only thing i get out of this site is entertainment. i never use it for trail info. i already know everything there is to know

The only thing we can learn from this post is that Lone Wolf is easily entertained.

max patch
08-31-2009, 15:28
The goal here was to have a site where people could speak their mind about any topic related to the AT and backpacking, as long as it did not become personally offensive or profane.

If you logged onto WB before 6:00 am back in the "good old days of WB" you got to read all types of posts which contained vulgar language that were directed at individuals. The low point was a detailed description of which "butt plug" a well known trail legend preferred.

No, the "good old days of WB" were anything but good.

Cool AT Breeze
08-31-2009, 15:30
If you logged onto WB before 6:00 am back in the "good old days of WB" you got to read all types of posts which contained vulgar language that were directed at individuals. The low point was a detailed description of which "butt plug" a well known trail legend preferred.

No, the "good old days of WB" were anything but good.
That was good intertainment.

Tipi Walter
08-31-2009, 15:41

Yeah, but just add one letter and you get a dynamite forum: TRAILSPACE.

It is a website for Appalachian Trail Enthusuiasts. What are you?
There are other websites.:D

WB is partly a website for AT hikers, it's also a website for backpackers and backpacking and for a wide variety of other trails: BMT, CDT, PCT, etc etc. And then there's the gear forums and all the rest.

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 15:51
I'm glad Jack has commented. Even as he is correct that he was not a part of the earliest posting group, he has always been valued here and I think his post shows that he has not felt inhibited about saying what he thinks. I"m glad of that, as are most people here.

TW

A-Train
08-31-2009, 16:36
To me the site is more boring and less entertaining, but honestly, it still serves its purpose, to educate on and provide a venue for conversation ABOUT HIKING.

While it was fun to log on and see who had written the most recent 1000 word diatribe about the president, government or arch-enemy poster, this "discourse" did little to better this site. I'm all for free speech, but I don't see how this strengthened the WB community or made it a more attractive place for newbies to come and hangout.

This place is still great, albeit a little boring. Which IMO is a good thing

max patch
08-31-2009, 16:42
I'm glad Jack has commented. Even as he is correct that he was not a part of the earliest posting group, he has always been valued here and I think his post shows that he has not felt inhibited about saying what he thinks. I"m glad of that, as are most people here.

TW

Agreed. When Jack joined WB the collective trail IQ jumped up quite a few points.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2009, 16:43
oy vey :rolleyes:

yaduck9
08-31-2009, 17:00
Take a deep breath......Let it out, Take a deep breath............Let it out

Repeat.;)

neighbor dave
08-31-2009, 17:04
where are my boots, it's gettin deep:rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2009, 17:31
Well, thanx, Max for the kind words, but they were a bit over the top. I seem to remember that Troll and Sgt. Rock's start dates here at Whiteblaze were in early September 2002 and mine was in mid-October, i.e. all of 40 days later. Woulda been here sooner but I was thru-hiking at the time and didn't even find out about Whiteblaze til my trip was over.

So as for Whiteblaze's collective IQ going markedly up after my arrival, um, no, it was doing fine by the time I got here. :D

But while we're on the subject, in just a couple of days, those guys I just mentioned will mark their 7th anniversary here.

Thanx guys, for everything.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 17:53
I'll try, Chef, since that's a fair question as you present it. Others may have different viewpoints.

*I deleted most of the quote cause it was soooo darn long.

I don't know if that helps, or if it matters to you. To some, finding out about the best pack, or what a shelter is like, is all they are looking for. For others, it's a bit more.

The Weasel

Weasel, thank you for taking the time to articulate such a well thought out response. I much prefer that to a simple, "this place used to be awesome, now it sucks" response which only displays a lack of ability to convey ideas with intelligence. So, the long story short is this used to be a free-for-all chat room style forum that has now been made a little more rigid by the addition of some mods who, according to some, abuse their power. This is the gist of what I read. Like I stated, I have been on many a forum and this one seems rather loose and free. Lone Wolf makes disparaging remarks about peoples ideas all the time and I don't see those post deleted. I have seen quite a few rather stern criticisms of very specific peoples intelligence level and seen no retribution. i think the mods here let a good bit go. Make sure you read what I just typed..."I THINK"meaning MY opinion. I am not calling any one wrong, or implying the wise. Just making a statement of fact of my view. Again TW, thanks for taking the time.

*deleted a lot of your text too.

In short, I think Whiteblaze in its present incarnation is just fine, and that people that spend more than a few minutes worrying about this alleged burning issue have too much time on their hands.

So Jack likes WB. Me too. Cept for that Gator! He is just a bully!:D

Jim Adams
08-31-2009, 17:55
I used to be on WB as much as possible when I first found it because it was fun, entertaining and enjoyable as well as informative.
Now it just sucks! I get on maybe 3 times / week read the topics, occassionaly post and then get back off the site. 99% of what is on here is no longer entertaining and rarely informative....always the same views and answers because to change or disagree invites censorship.
Get rid of the mods...the old WB is sorely missed.
If you want good hiking advice go talk directly with LW, Jack or go to Neel's Gap. You have people on this site giving thru hiking advice that have never been on the AT let alone thru hiked or section hiked the entire trail.
Let the topics and chips fall as they may...hell with all of this political correctness and let the site progess instead of regress!
If you don't like the site then you can always go to other sites that tell you how you should think. It seems that all of the long time interesting posters have also become mundane just to keep posting...fresh out of the cookie cutter.
Go back to the old WB...back when it was interesting and FUN!
Just my .02.

geek

chefjason
08-31-2009, 18:03
I used to be on WB as much as possible when I first found it because it was fun, entertaining and enjoyable as well as informative.
Now it just sucks! I get on maybe 3 times / week read the topics, occassionaly post and then get back off the site. 99% of what is on here is no longer entertaining and rarely informative....always the same views and answers because to change or disagree invites censorship.
Get rid of the mods...the old WB is sorely missed.
If you want good hiking advice go talk directly with LW, Jack or go to Neel's Gap. You have people on this site giving thru hiking advice that have never been on the AT let alone thru hiked or section hiked the entire trail.
Let the topics and chips fall as they may...hell with all of this political correctness and let the site progess instead of regress!
If you don't like the site then you can always go to other sites that tell you how you should think. It seems that all of the long time interesting posters have also become mundane just to keep posting...fresh out of the cookie cutter.
Go back to the old WB...back when it was interesting and FUN!
Just my .02.

geek

Jack, you been sippin' that martini kinda early?

chefjason
08-31-2009, 18:04
damnit all to hell. i just wanna be able to edit, without giving you my money!!

JIM!!, not jack.

Jim Adams
08-31-2009, 18:10
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning and that has nothing to do with it.:D

geek

chefjason
08-31-2009, 18:12
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning and that has nothing to do with it.:D

geek
i believe that. Cause after sippin the juice you are LESS likely to make harsh comments. So, you hittin' the crystal meth kinda early aint ya Jim?:eek:

Jester2000
08-31-2009, 18:13
. . .It seems that all of the long time interesting posters have also become mundane just to keep posting...fresh out of the cookie cutter. . .

I have to disagree. I remain hilarious.

Jim Adams
08-31-2009, 18:14
i believe that. Cause after sippin the juice you are LESS likely to make harsh comments. So, you hittin' the crystal meth kinda early aint ya Jim?:eek:
You can't stay awake all day if you don't....:D

geek

Belew
08-31-2009, 18:28
That was good intertainment.

very nice :jump

Jim Adams
08-31-2009, 18:46

LOL! Yes Jester, your responses are some of the most entertaining on here and I do enjoy them.:D

geek

Lone Wolf
08-31-2009, 18:48

as do i

10 characters

Egads
08-31-2009, 18:51

Jester - go praise yourself :rolleyes:

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 18:56
Weasel, thank you for taking the time to articulate such a well thought out response. I much prefer that to a simple, "this place used to be awesome, now it sucks" response which only displays a lack of ability to convey ideas with intelligence. So, the long story short is this used to be a free-for-all chat room style forum that has now been made a little more rigid by the addition of some mods who, according to some, abuse their power. This is the gist of what I read. Like I stated, I have been on many a forum and this one seems rather loose and free. Lone Wolf makes disparaging remarks about peoples ideas all the time and I don't see those post deleted. I have seen quite a few rather stern criticisms of very specific peoples intelligence level and seen no retribution. i think the mods here let a good bit go. Make sure you read what I just typed..."I THINK"meaning MY opinion. I am not calling any one wrong, or implying the wise. Just making a statement of fact of my view. Again TW, thanks for taking the time.

So Jack likes WB. Me too. Cept for that Gator! He is just a bully!:D

I'd rather not get into names of Moderators, at least here, but you read well what I said. But the change isn't small, I think (yes, as do you) although others may (and do) disagree. I think there are more posts deleted than is apparent, and I think many are deleted for ostensible "TOS" violations which are really overdone. And that has reduced the "We're all around the campfire" attitude (which makes me think of the "Blazing Saddles" campfire, which would probably be deleted here) that was originally present.

The worst problem though, is the closure of threads because one moderator (disproporationately) keeps saying, "There's nothing more to be said about this topic, thread closed" in almost those words. He doesn't understand the beauty sometimes of "good thread drift", when people are happily going off on wild, long, loopy tangents, that end up being a prose poem of sorts. That's a mistake, and probably the worst "change" from moderation: Thread drift tends to be self-terminating; if people want to continue a thread, why not let them? But that's not how things are these days.

People don't have to agree with me, by the way. But I hope they at least reflect that this site was intended to be more than just a gear-and-maps type of info site; I love backpacking the way other people love fly-fishing, and being able to just spend time in a place with people who are of like minds is a good thing, even when LW makes an acerbic comment (believe it or not, he knows what "acerbic" means) or when Jack gets on his high horse (often correctly). Those things make it pleasant. They need to be encouraged.

TW

Tin Man
08-31-2009, 19:06
TW - All respects, you type pretty good pompous. :eek: Got anything else? :)

chefjason
08-31-2009, 19:13
I'd rather not get into names of Moderators, at least here, but you read well what I said. But the change isn't small, I think (yes, as do you) although others may (and do) disagree. I think there are more posts deleted than is apparent, and I think many are deleted for ostensible "TOS" violations which are really overdone. And that has reduced the "We're all around the campfire" attitude (which makes me think of the "Blazing Saddles" campfire, which would probably be deleted here) that was originally present.

The worst problem though, is the closure of threads because one moderator (disproporationately) keeps saying, "There's nothing more to be said about this topic, thread closed" in almost those words. He doesn't understand the beauty sometimes of "good thread drift", when people are happily going off on wild, long, loopy tangents, that end up being a prose poem of sorts. That's a mistake, and probably the worst "change" from moderation: Thread drift tends to be self-terminating; if people want to continue a thread, why not let them? But that's not how things are these days.

People don't have to agree with me, by the way. But I hope they at least reflect that this site was intended to be more than just a gear-and-maps type of info site; I love backpacking the way other people love fly-fishing, and being able to just spend time in a place with people who are of like minds is a good thing, even when LW makes an acerbic comment (believe it or not, he knows what "acerbic" means) or when Jack gets on his high horse (often correctly). Those things make it pleasant. They need to be encouraged.

TW
I do see some hint of socialistic censorship from time to time, but that is just the nature of being on private property! If you came to my house and began to talk in a way that I did not approve, I might very well tell you to shut up. If you did not, I would likely assist you in the removal of your front teeth, FREE OF CHARGE! So, we all have to yeild to the "my bat, my ball, my rules" mind set. Unless!! We start a NEW website and call it..."OffWhite Blaze"! Sweet!

Jim Adams
08-31-2009, 19:45

TW

Well said!:cool:

geek

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 19:47
Pizza. . . . pretty much. . .

sheepdog
08-31-2009, 19:48
Pizza. . . . pretty much. . .
but it must be thin crust...ultra light

Wise Old Owl
08-31-2009, 20:09
Weasel - honest thats just wisdom.

Wise Old Owl
08-31-2009, 20:10

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Rapper-owl--33614.jpg

Mee too.

Gaiter
08-31-2009, 20:15
Unless!! We start a NEW website and call it..."OffWhite Blaze"! Sweet!

PissBlaze would be more appropriate

Wise Old Owl
08-31-2009, 20:19
damnit all to hell. i just wanna be able to edit, without giving you my money!!

JIM!!, not jack.

Wait giving up a few bucks a year to defray the leased software? You pay more for Backpacker magazine, and whats that-once a month?

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 20:22
I do see some hint of socialistic censorship from time to time, but that is just the nature of being on private property! If you came to my house and began to talk in a way that I did not approve, I might very well tell you to shut up. If you did not, I would likely assist you in the removal of your front teeth, FREE OF CHARGE! So, we all have to yeild to the "my bat, my ball, my rules" mind set. Unless!! We start a NEW website and call it..."OffWhite Blaze"! Sweet!

Chef ---

Despite TM accusing me (accurately) of being pompous, I'm one of the few who are still active of the half dozen or so who got this place going and kept it alive when it almost immediately cratered, for reasons that have nothing to do with anything. But...

Easy, the guy who started this site, was a wonderfully open guy who didn't want to OWN anything. He just wanted a place where we could all sort of talk about backpacking and the AT and all the rest. So it was actually the opposite, intended as some kind of Internet commune, with a minimum of "let's control each other!!!" attitude. That attracted people a LOT. Dan Bruce had a wonderful site, but yeah, he owned that sucker, and had the right to say (or not say, and just act), "It's my site, and my rules." Here? Damn; one of he biggest problems has, historically, been figuring out exactly who IS in control here, but mainly that was ignored in the early days, since no one really cared. That's a chunk of what's missing. And ATTroll (Rick) and Sgt Rock (Ern) were wonderful for continuing that tradition. If you doubt, go look at the "Mission Statement."

So it hasn't been a "The Owners Own It" site, historically, although that may be hard to believe. Mostly, the Admins saw themselves as 'first among equals' rather than Gods.

TW

Gray Blazer
08-31-2009, 20:46
Yeah, but just add one letter and you get a dynamite forum: TRAILSPACE.

WB is partly a website for AT hikers, it's also a website for backpackers and backpacking and for a wide variety of other trails: BMT, CDT, PCT, etc etc. And then there's the gear forums and all the rest.

I was just quoting the Home Page. It's actually a Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts. Acronym.....CATE. You could make it the Home of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts....thus the acronym would be HATE.

Gentlemen, no fighting here, this is the warroom!

Lugnut
08-31-2009, 20:47
Chef ---

Easy, the guy who started this site, was a wonderfully open guy who didn't want to OWN anything. He just wanted a place where we could all sort of talk about backpacking and the AT and all the rest. So it was actually the opposite, intended as some kind of Internet commune, with a minimum of "let's control each other!!!" attitude.
So it hasn't been a "The Owners Own It" site, historically, although that may be hard to believe. Mostly, the Admins saw themselves as 'first among equals' rather than Gods.

TW

Those days are gone. I can understand that some restraint is needed at times but Dave sure was fun! :p

max patch
08-31-2009, 20:52
Easy, the guy who started this site, was a wonderfully open guy who didn't want to OWN anything. He just wanted a place where we could all sort of talk about backpacking and the AT and all the rest. So it was actually the opposite, intended as some kind of Internet commune, with a minimum of "let's control each other!!!" attitude.

Weasel, when ownership changed there was supposed to be a tribute to Easy and his contributions in the history of the site page. Much like the history books in the old USSR, they have been rewritten and all references to Easy have been stricken.

Do you know why this was done?

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 20:53
Those days are gone. I can understand that some restraint is needed at times but Dave sure was fun! :p

And he never hurt anyone's feelings, although I know for a while he was a little difficult to deal with.

Those days may be past, but they don't have to be gone. Threads can - or should be allowed to - wander like a drunken Dutchman without getting closed, and people can - or should be allowed to - disagree with moderators/admins without being punished. Imagine.

TW

TW

Gray Blazer
08-31-2009, 20:54
And he never hurt anyone's feelings, although I know for a while he was a little difficult to deal with.

Those days may be past, but they don't have to be gone. Threads can - or should be allowed to - wander like a drunken Dutchman without getting closed, and people can - or should be allowed to - disagree with moderators/admins without being punished. Imagine.

TW

TW
Amen, Brother Ben.

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 20:56
Weasel, when ownership changed there was supposed to be a tribute to Easy and his contributions in the history of the site page. Much like the history books in the old USSR, they have been rewritten and all references to Easy have been stricken.

Do you know why this was done?

Well, in our own way, a number of us have provided a 'tribute' to him, just be remembering him and how he was in posts, as the last month has shown. But as for why nothing greater happened? There were some times when he caused a bit of internal aggravation and lost some of his cred with some of us. I don't think it was intentional, but he made it a little harder. And in the first year, Rick was doing a huge amount, and Ern was under significant pressure for his first deployment to Iraq that was coming up, so some things just got a little set aside, I think.

TW

Tipi Walter
08-31-2009, 21:32
I was just quoting the Home Page. It's actually a Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts. Acronym.....CATE. You could make it the Home of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts....thus the acronym would be HATE.

Gentlemen, no fighting here, this is the warroom!

Maybe Buck Turgidson actually started Whiteblaze. You could make it the Defensive and Enormously Fighting Ersatz Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts or DEFECATE.

slow
08-31-2009, 21:55

*I had nothing to do with the start of this website. A casual reading of
the first paragraph of Weasel's post might lead one to think otherwise; one
might further think that I was one of the folks who was looking for a new
place because I was disgruntled or angry with Dan Bruce.

*I left Trailplace for any number of reasons, not all of which Weasel is aware
of, and I really wish he'd left me out of his comments altogether. I never
really had much of a beef with the way Dan ran Trailplace; it was, after all,
his website. In retrospect, I think most of the folks that got kicked off the
site probably deserved it, and it astounds me that many of them still carp on
this years and years later. My voluntary departure from Trailplace was
more a matter of clashing personalities than it was with anger over how Dan
ran his website. But honestly, this years of complaining about how a
website is operated.......this gets a little ridiculous. You don't like how a
guy operates his own personal website? Easy. Don't go there, or start your
own site.

*I also want to make it clear that I have no complaints whatsoever about
how this website is administered. I think the folks that run the website are
doing a great job, and likewise, the various administrators. I've had
dealings with just about all of them in regards to some of my own posts, as
well as my questions or complaints about stuff posted by others. I haven't
always agreed with the decisions or the reasoning of the Moderators, but in
my correspondence with them, without exception, they've been prompt,
civil, helpful, and very open. I therefore didn't much care for the recent
bitch session "Who's your favorite moderator!" which quickly degenerated
into anonymous personal attacks. I think if you have a beef with a
particular individual or administrator, you'd do best to contact that person
privately. But do I think that the present website is overly moderated or
censored? No, I do not, and it's unfortunate that Weasel's capsule history
of Whiteblaze might lead folks to think otherwise.

You are a CLASS ACT....hands down.:)

BTW...have you walked for point A-B.:D:D:D:D

saimyoji
08-31-2009, 22:50
Jack's greatest contribution to WB: moosecock.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 22:58
Chef ---

Despite TM accusing me (accurately) of being pompous, I'm one of the few who are still active of the half dozen or so who got this place going and kept it alive when it almost immediately cratered, for reasons that have nothing to do with anything. But...

Easy, the guy who started this site, was a wonderfully open guy who didn't want to OWN anything. He just wanted a place where we could all sort of talk about backpacking and the AT and all the rest. So it was actually the opposite, intended as some kind of Internet commune, with a minimum of "let's control each other!!!" attitude. That attracted people a LOT. Dan Bruce had a wonderful site, but yeah, he owned that sucker, and had the right to say (or not say, and just act), "It's my site, and my rules." Here? Damn; one of he biggest problems has, historically, been figuring out exactly who IS in control here, but mainly that was ignored in the early days, since no one really cared. That's a chunk of what's missing. And ATTroll (Rick) and Sgt Rock (Ern) were wonderful for continuing that tradition. If you doubt, go look at the "Mission Statement."

TW
Soooo, why was the site sold? And to whom? And where the heck is that person now?

saimyoji
08-31-2009, 23:02
Soooo, why was the site sold? And to whom? And where the heck is that person now?

the site was never sold by easy. it rests comfortably in the hands of the current operators.....the guys whose names are in black.

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 23:03
It wasn't sold. It was transferred. That's part of the delight of WB. It's never really been a place that was "owned" as much as 'attended" or "taken part in."

The transfer was from Dave, known variously as "Easy", "Former Easy" and "Admin" and "Former Admin" to ATTroll (Rick) and to Sgt Rock (Ern). They have dealt with formal "ownership" issues among themselves, but never played the "I am Owner, Bow Before Us" card. Their approach has always been, "C'mon into the campfire we built." Easy is out there somewhere. I appreciate what he started.

TW

TW

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:08
the site was never sold by easy. it rests comfortably in the hands of the current operators.....the guys whose names are in black.

It wasn't sold. It was transferred. That's part of the delight of WB. It's never really been a place that was "owned" as much as 'attended" or "taken part in."

The transfer was from Dave, known variously as "Easy", "Former Easy" and "Admin" and "Former Admin" to ATTroll (Rick) and to Sgt Rock (Ern). They have dealt with formal "ownership" issues among themselves, but never played the "I am Owner, Bow Before Us" card. Their approach has always been, "C'mon into the campfire we built." Easy is out there somewhere. I appreciate what he started.

TW

TW
Well, some one has to pay for the bandwidth right? Who is that? Are the mods paid? Who pays them? the guy making the payments is the one in charge right? So who is he/she/them...it?

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 23:10
It's me. . . .

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 23:12
For a long time, ATTroll paid the fees, with occasional contributions from people. A few modest advertisements brought in some money, I beleive, and a few years ago a more solid contributions base and method was started. But by and large, this place has been an act of kindness.

As for paying the moderators, I'm not aware that they are paid, but I really don't care about that. As for "the one in charge," well, that has always been an interesting point here until the current moderation regime. In the beginning, ATTroll didn't want to "be in charge" because he didn't care for the angst it caused. Sgt Rock didn't want to be responsible for the technical stuff. I rather thought they each fit a need that made it all work, and they sort of agreed. But never acted like "owners" since that wasn't the style here. And I think that was a good way to operate.

TW

Lugnut
08-31-2009, 23:14
Well, some one has to pay for the bandwidth right? Who is that? Are the mods paid? Who pays them? the guy making the payments is the one in charge right? So who is he/she/them...it?

Paid for by some advertising and donating members.

max patch
08-31-2009, 23:14
Easy is out there somewhere. I appreciate what he started.

TW

TW

He showed up a couple weeks ago and made a dozen or so posts.

They were all deleted.

The Weasel
08-31-2009, 23:18

They were all deleted.

If they were deleted, I doubt that it was by either Rick or Ern. It wasn't their style, even when Easy irked them. Lord! We've all irked Rick or Ern, but I don't think either of them ever deleted a post for anyone.

TW

A-Train
08-31-2009, 23:22

They were all deleted.

He is pretty active on facebook.

Fun fact: I was his original transcriber, during his abbreviated 2002 hike. He sent me a t-shirt from Neels Gap and we chatted on the phone a few times.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:24
For a long time, ATTroll paid the fees, with occasional contributions from people. A few modest advertisements brought in some money, I beleive, and a few years ago a more solid contributions base and method was started. But by and large, this place has been an act of kindness.

As for paying the moderators, I'm not aware that they are paid, but I really don't care about that. As for "the one in charge," well, that has always been an interesting point here until the current moderation regime. In the beginning, ATTroll didn't want to "be in charge" because he didn't care for the angst it caused. Sgt Rock didn't want to be responsible for the technical stuff. I rather thought they each fit a need that made it all work, and they sort of agreed. But never acted like "owners" since that wasn't the style here. And I think that was a good way to operate.

TW
With no one in charge you wind up with anarchy. Some one has got to be in charge. That doesn't mean that some one has to boss folks around and pound their chest while screaming "bow before me you weak and insignificant fools!" But, there has to be some sort of direction. That is just a fact that can be proven with little research at all.

Paid for by some advertising and donating members.

Is that how you got your name in green? i want MY name in green! I am sooo full of envy right now!

They were all deleted.

How can some one delete the post of a guy who started the site? Has be been banished like Ferdinand Marcos?

Skidsteer
08-31-2009, 23:25
If they were deleted, I doubt that it was by either Rick or Ern. It wasn't their style, even when Easy irked them. Lord! We've all irked Rick or Ern, but I don't think either of them ever deleted a post for anyone.

TW

ATTroll and Rock have deleted many posts while moderating WB. Including some of your posts; And mine for that matter.

You're being silly and misleading.

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 23:26
And extremely cavalier with other people's business.. . . . .

Lugnut
08-31-2009, 23:30
Is that how you got your name in green? i want MY name in green! I am sooo full of envy right now!

Yeah, try it!

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:33
ATTroll and Rock have deleted many posts while moderating WB. Including some of your posts; And mine for that matter.

You're being silly and misleading.

Oh snap ya'll. I just noticed his^^^^^^^ name is in black! So, Skidsteer is an admin? AND a Georgia Boy?! Sweet! I got an in!

Yeah, try it!

In this economy? If I give money online I expect to see a UPS truck dropping off a box in my drive way within three to five business days!

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 06:20
In this economy? If I give money online I expect to see a UPS truck dropping off a box in my drive way within three to five business days!

it's 10 bucks

max patch
09-01-2009, 06:47

These 2 posts to the picture gallery he made a couple weeks ago survived (all his posts to the forums were deleted). These should also be deleted as inappropriate.

Although I have to admit I laughed when I read them.

max patch
09-01-2009, 06:48
These 2 posts to the picture gallery he made a couple weeks ago survived (all his posts to the forums were deleted). These should also be deleted as inappropriate.

Although I have to admit I laughed when I read them.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6799&noignore=0&postid=12301#post12301

Gray Blazer
09-01-2009, 07:26
Maybe Buck Turgidson actually started Whiteblaze. You could make it the Defensive and Enormously Fighting Ersatz Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts or DEFECATE.

I like it.:)

bloodmountainman
09-01-2009, 07:37
it's 10 bucks
No longer worth the price!

Lugnut
09-01-2009, 08:42
No longer worth the price!

Then what are you doing here? :-?

The Weasel
09-01-2009, 08:42
Being silly has never been a disqualifier here, so if I am, well, when you buy the ticket, you get the whole ride.

Misleading? In the days before the Politics Forums - and that's what I meant, so I'm sorry for not being clear on that - I doubt that they deleted more than a few, if any postings here. Someone in charge? I think ATTroll and Sgt Rock acted more like guides than bosses, and they did it well.

TW

babbage
09-01-2009, 09:59
Eliminate religious references -- I think it would be more respectful to everyone if religious posts, quotes, signatures were left out of the hiking forum. I respect everyone right to keep their beliefs to themselves. Just my opinion.

tlbj6142
09-01-2009, 10:00
Get rid of the mods...the old WB is sorely missed. For the most part, there didn't need to be mods because everyone was civil (except Easy's drukin' rants, but those were removed before many even saw them.....sounds like a mod...:-?), now most threads become un-civil after a handful of posts. That almost never happened back in "the old days".

I see three eras in WB history...

"Early Days" -- when folks were civil (even in water crossing threads) and most of the talk was about backpacking/hiking and public comments rarely were directed at an individual. There were disagreements and differing opinions, but rarely, if ever, "attacks".

"Dark Days" -- complete insanity and chaos with little hiking talk and even the most benign topic resulted in personal insults to posters and often added nothing to a thread.

"Now" -- nothing like the "Early Days", more like "Dark Days"-lite. But still an improvement. Still way too many personal attacks and not enough discussion.

Not sure of the exact dates for each of those "eras", but "now" seems to have started within the past year. And "Early Days" probably ended in late 2005? 2006?

The biggest issue was that the "Dark Days" era was permitted to run for such a long period of time. In fact, some of it still creeps in from time to time. So, maybe it isn't truly over yet...

Monkeyboy
09-01-2009, 10:06
Nah. It's more like :

"Early Days" - when people could say what was on their minds.

"Whiney Days" - when people complained to admins CONSTANTLY because something was said that they disagreed with.

"Post-Whiney Days" - when people left in droves because the whiney people won.....and still whine.

The Weasel
09-01-2009, 10:09
TLBJ --

You've pretty much encapsulated it, and you were here in the early periods, too. And yes, now I recall a few of Easy's posts being deleted largely because of some issues that involved the transfer of the site from him, and as a result really didn't belong here. I don't think it was censorship as much as embarassment that led to them being deleted.

TW

sheepdog
09-01-2009, 10:20
Eliminate religious references -- I think it would be more respectful to everyone if religious posts, quotes, signatures were left out of the hiking forum. I respect everyone right to keep their beliefs to themselves. Just my opinion.
Trolling??

tlbj6142
09-01-2009, 10:28
I think this has been mentioned before by others in one form or another....

Part of why seems a bit borning now (and maybe why the "Dark Days" started) is there isn't a whole lot to talk about WRT hiking/backpacking/AT/thru-hiking, etc. The whole subject mater is quite small and very little changes from year-to-year. So, "regulars" get bored and start to bring up OT posts, personal attacks, etc. I'm sure the same would happen if we were all on the trail together for 7 years. Even if we were only a "group" for 8 hours a day.

Jester2000
09-01-2009, 11:04
He is pretty active on facebook.

Fun fact: I was his original transcriber, during his abbreviated 2002 hike. He sent me a t-shirt from Neels Gap and we chatted on the phone a few times.

Are you sure that fact was fun?

Being silly has never been a disqualifier here . . .

Thank God.

Trigger Happy Jack
09-01-2009, 12:04
Well, I only joined a month ago. I was directed to the site by someone I met at Roan High Knob Shelter. I have been nothing but happy to get on everyday to read, learn and be entertained. I think this site is wonderful!

Jester2000
09-01-2009, 12:38
Well, I only joined a month ago. I was directed to the site by someone I met at Roan High Knob Shelter. I have been nothing but happy to get on everyday to read, learn and be entertained. I think this site is wonderful!

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find both information and entertainment here, in varying degrees.

So much for all of those people who keep insisting that no one on the trail even knows about whiteblaze . . .

chefjason
09-01-2009, 12:43
I am with ya there THJ. I have only been on here for a monthor so, but am having quite a good time, for now. Till some bone head with their name in red or black puts the smack down on me.:mad:

emerald
09-01-2009, 13:01
Your post some sort of a test to determine the threshold for deleting posts or were you looking to get booted?

sheepdog
09-01-2009, 13:21
I am with ya there THJ. I have only been on here for a monthor so, but am having quite a good time, for now. Till some bone head with their name in red or black puts the smack down on me.:mad:
I wonder who you were in a past life?:-?

Lone Wolf
09-01-2009, 13:22

careful what you wish for. callin' moderators boneheads is a real bright thing to do

chefjason
09-01-2009, 13:31
That some sort of a test to determine the threshold for deleting posts?

No actually it was a test to see if they do have a sense of humor. So, in a way, yes, testing the water. BUT! I have already had my hand slapped by Gator, so I do know they are serious at times. but thus far in THIS thread they have been more than lenient. So I guess now would be the time to slam on the breaks.

I wonder who you were in a past life?:-?
Nope. Not like that at all. Just a guy who likes hiking and chatting in forums. And on every forum I go to I test the leash of the mods. Then get to know them well and make sure they I know I do know where the lines are. But you have to mess with the "MAN" from time to time right?

careful what you wish for. callin' moderators boneheads is a real bright thing to do
Like I said up there^^^^^^^^^. Just seeing if they can take a ribbing. Which thus far, they have! Good for them!:D

Graywolf
09-01-2009, 14:15
Hey, Wise Owl, I like your Owl Picture with the cig.:welcome

Anyway, I am new to this site, but I have been following this thread and I have got to say, It is good to have a thread where we can all ramp and rave and still get along.:-?. But remember out there on the trails we are who we are and we are all the same.:confused:. I just know this, I have looked at other "hiker" forums on the web and they were nimble at best. I came to white blaze because the information is top rate, compared to the other sites and there are some good folks here. So what if it is "just" another hiker forum, in my book it is top on the list.

Yes, i will probably get in here and ramp and rave to but when it is all over, I cam to a place that I felt connected.

Hope to see you all on the trails soon and then we can ramp and rave around a fire. I will even play a tune or two for you for background music.:D

modiyooch
09-01-2009, 14:44
[quote=babbage;888002]I respect everyone right to keep their beliefs to themselves. quote]
what does this mean?

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 14:50
[quote=babbage;888002]I respect everyone right to keep their beliefs to themselves. quote]
what does this mean?

i think it means you missed a bracket :)

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 14:51
I respect everyone right to keep their beliefs to themselves.
what does this mean?

oops, so did i :o

modiyooch
09-01-2009, 15:11
serves ya right.
I'm glad to know that I have the right to remain quiet.

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 15:23
serves ya right.
I'm glad to know that I have the right to remain quiet.

and what you say can be used against you :)

modiyooch
09-01-2009, 15:46
and what you say can be used against you :)as in publically displayed on the internet whether delivered in private or not, basically more so before the first cup of coffee or when one is suffering from cabin fever.

Graywolf
09-01-2009, 15:56
SSShhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!Quiet! I'm trying to think here

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 15:59
as in publically displayed on the internet whether delivered in private or not, basically more so before the first cup of coffee or when one is suffering from cabin fever.

i hate cabin fever, especially when the weather is nice and the hike was cancelled :(

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 16:28
This will hopefully sound like a Jester post, but it needs to be said:

Weasel:

In regards to your many authoritative posts above, I have to tell you that I am privileged to have known Sgt. Rock for several years now, and have been even more fortunate to have spent some time with him, including some wonderful time with his friends and family members.

In all these years, I have never heard anyone ever refer to him personally, or anywhere else, as "Ern". :D

But maybe you know him better than everyone else.

The Weasel
09-01-2009, 16:39
Jack: What he has kindly tolerated me in calling him, on occasion, and you, are acts of grace of a really good guy. I don't know him better than "everyone else," or as well as I would ever like to. I will say, what I know of him puts him in the highest regard category of every I do know. I know that I'm not even remotely unique in that, either. So I appreciate the spirit of what you say. Thanks.

TW

chefjason
09-01-2009, 17:07
So, since this is the thread that everyone is reading and posting in, I thought I would highjack it for means of total pointless drabble.

There is a car show in Braselton GA on Sept 19th at the YearOne facility. Chip Foose is going to be there! Any locals to this area planning on attending?

Jester2000
09-01-2009, 17:52
This will hopefully sound like a Jester post, but it needs to be said . . .

It would have sounded more like a Jester post had you included one of the following words: turtles, cheese, accordions.

The Weasel
09-01-2009, 17:58
It would have sounded more like a Jester post had you included one of the following words: turtles, cheese, accordions.

He did his best, dammit. Not everyone can meet your standards. Or tangerines.

TW

emerald
09-01-2009, 18:01
So, since this is the thread that everyone is reading and posting in, I thought I would highjack it for means of total pointless drabble.

There is a car show in Braselton GA on Sept 19th at the YearOne facility. Chip Foose is going to be there! Any locals to this area planning on attending?

Your attempt at humour fell flat on my screen.:rolleyes:

The Weasel
09-01-2009, 18:02

You spell as badly as Quentin Tarantino.:D

TW

chefjason
09-01-2009, 18:08

What attmept at humour? I was serious! I will be there, but I live IN Braselton, so it is a 35 second drive for me.

You spell as badly as Quentin Tarantino.:D

TW
Ceep it tooo yerselph yo basterd.

emerald
09-01-2009, 19:58
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

I didn't want to give chefjason the impression my comment was meant for his consumption. Surely everyone except The Weasel knew it was intended for paying customers on the sleepy side of tonight's campfire in England.

The Weasel
09-01-2009, 22:12
I just noticed that, in profiles here, I can have it list all of my posts from when I first joined WB, 9/4/02, although some others that appear in some of those threads (all showing joining the same day) can't be searched that far back. And I saw (I hadn't remembered) that Saimyoji joined on 8/28/02, a week earlier. It was interesting reading some of those threads, and I wondered if there is any way to track back by date that far back.

TW

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 22:14
8/28/02!!

Geez, maybe sometime in the NEXT seven years he'll actually contribute something useful! :D

The Weasel
09-01-2009, 22:15
Mistake about Saimyoji (I need new glasses), who joined in 2004, but was probably with us in spirit 2 years earlier. Still interested in how to find out how to drag up threads from 2002 when WB was just starting.

TW

Tin Man
09-01-2009, 23:51
Mistake about Saimyoji (I need new glasses), who joined in 2004, but was probably with us in spirit 2 years earlier. Still interested in how to find out how to drag up threads from 2002 when WB was just starting.

TW

that's okay. no need to go there.

saimyoji
09-02-2009, 08:20
I just noticed that, in profiles here, I can have it list all of my posts from when I first joined WB, 9/4/02, although some others that appear in some of those threads (all showing joining the same day) can't be searched that far back. And I saw (I hadn't remembered) that Saimyoji joined on 8/28/02, a week earlier. It was interesting reading some of those threads, and I wondered if there is any way to track back by date that far back.

TW

TW

hey, just keep my name out of whatever nasty poop-packing skullduggery you are trying to drudge up. i'll have nothing to do with it.

8/28/02!!

Geez, maybe sometime in the NEXT seven years he'll actually contribute something useful! :D

and ruin my reputation? not likely.

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 08:49

TW

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=666

kanga
09-02-2009, 09:02
what are you trying to say here?

Gray Blazer
09-02-2009, 09:10
666 ?

Need at least 10 characters.

chefjason
09-02-2009, 09:11
So, what does that thread have to do with this thread?

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 09:30
weasel was looking to drag up old threads. i was just trying to help. :)

Gray Blazer
09-02-2009, 09:31
It's a thread and this is a thread?

The Weasel
09-02-2009, 09:31
hey, just keep my name out of whatever nasty poop-packing skullduggery you are trying to drudge up. i'll have nothing to do with it.

You've still been here a long time. I'm glad of that.

TW

chefjason
09-02-2009, 09:34

Ooooooh. Nothing like dragging a dead horse out of it's shallow grave to beat the chit out of it some more. Sweet!

The Weasel
09-02-2009, 14:18

Historical interest only. I don't think anything we said in '02 is going to be terribly relevant to much today, but it is interesting to see some of the interaction then, and what the interests were. LW was being acerbic; Jack was being pointed and informative, la plus ca change...

Also appears that there are older postings than 9/04/02; when I was able to dig up mine, there were about 900 other messages not shown, based on totals. Wonder what they are, and where they went.

Whatever.

TW

saimyoji
09-02-2009, 14:25
i'd yellow blazin tactics, kennebec fording procedures, drinking at the place, sword carrying, and dog bashing are all still relevent topics. :-?

The Weasel
09-02-2009, 15:35
Relevant, yes. Information from '02 is stale at best.

TW

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 16:25
Relevant, yes. Information from '02 is stale at best.

TW

and all my epic cat hole leavings from my '02 section are dust in the wind :)

notice i didn't say poop... oops :o

The Weasel
09-02-2009, 17:03
and all my epic cat hole leavings from my '02 section are dust in the wind :)

notice i didn't say poop... oops :o

And you know this how? You've checked? Egad! You've dug them up to see? Now THAT is obsessive! If only you'd carried them out, you could have avoided all the effort digging the holes up! :D

TW

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 17:10
And you know this how? You've checked? Egad! You've dug them up to see? Now THAT is obsessive! If only you'd carried them out, you could have avoided all the effort digging the holes up! :D

TW

i know this because i read a scientific journal* that catholes work in moist, duffy climates and that poop carriers are sick. now leave my catholes be :cool:

*no references forth-coming, except to beaten down dead horses who never give it a rest, oi

The Weasel
09-02-2009, 17:21
i know this because i read a scientific journal* that catholes work in moist, duffy climates and that poop carriers are sick. now leave my catholes be :cool:

*no references forth-coming, except to beaten down dead horses who never give it a rest, oip

So you don't really know they're gone? You're just taking the word of people you don't know? So actually, you are little more than a poop denier? :-?

TW

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 17:26
p

So you don't really know they're gone? You're just taking the word of people you don't know? So actually, you are little more than a poop denier? :-?

TW

normal poop - drop 'em, cover 'em, forget 'em

weasy poop - drop 'em, scoop 'em, pack 'em up, go look for normal poop, scoop 'em, pack 'em up, take 'em home, study 'em under a microscope, pack again, tighter, oh the pleasure in packin' poop

who is the sick poop? :-?

The Weasel
09-02-2009, 17:40
normal poop - drop 'em, cover 'em, forget 'em

weasy poop - drop 'em, scoop 'em, pack 'em up, go look for normal poop, scoop 'em, pack 'em up, take 'em home, study 'em under a microscope, pack again, tighter, oh the pleasure in packin' poop

who is the sick poop? :-?

Weasel Style: Bag it and leave at next disposal station. No muss, no fuss, no problem. Works anywhere.

Tin Style: Dig hole. Chop roots. Get desperate. Do whatever. Come back next year. Dig hole. Inspect. Call up scientist. Inspect again.

Who keeps bringing this up? Does the term, "anal fixation" have any mean ing for you guys? :D

TW

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 18:26
Who keeps bringing this up? Does the term, "anal fixation" have any mean ing for you guys? :D

TW

you do. you just can't let go of your poop - some sort of sick religion. :eek:

yaduck9
09-02-2009, 18:27
Get back to work...you poopy heads:D

The Weasel
09-02-2009, 19:37
you do. you just can't let go of your poop - some sort of sick religion. :eek:

TinMan --

If facts mattered, you would note that I don't keep raising this whole thing. It's raised by others, who think somehow it gets a rise out of me. It doesn't, but here as well as elsewhere, it's something that keeps being raised by others. If you don't like the topic, be silent about it and it will die out. I certainly don't keep raising it.

TW

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 19:58
TinMan --

If facts mattered, you would note that I don't keep raising this whole thing. It's raised by others, who think somehow it gets a rise out of me. It doesn't, but here as well as elsewhere, it's something that keeps being raised by others. If you don't like the topic, be silent about it and it will die out. I certainly don't keep raising it.

TW

BS. anytime anyone gives you crap about poop you get on your high horse about your poop carrying religion - you go on and on about it every time and bring it up with as a regular diatribe to those who DO follow LNT principles and practices. No one wants to hear it any more. Leave your crap in your pack if you want, just stop asking others to do so. It is downright creepy and makes your already very pompous ass look even more ridiculous. Give it a rest already.

sincerely, a LNT practical practitioner and proud ASM
:sun

Bulldawg
09-02-2009, 19:59
Guys, guys, guys,

Don't hate the hiker, find your trail karma!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 20:01
Guys, guys, guys,

Don't hate the hiker, find your trail karma!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i leave a little bit of my karma in a cat hole... about half way between privies, because that is when i gots to go.

ed bell
09-02-2009, 20:18
If you go into any forum and sort by date of last post, you can find all sorts of old threads. Also sort by replies or views to get ones with lots of participation. Plenty of old threads with good content.

Jim Adams
09-02-2009, 20:29
OOOPS!

Thread deletion...yeah the old interesting WB is gone!...known from this point on as wb.

geek

The Weasel
09-02-2009, 20:56
Delightful, TinMan. Everytime I say something in a forum, you and one other seem to raise this issue all over again. Time for you to give it up. It's becoming an obsession with you, and you're much better than that.

TW

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 21:49
TW - put a cork in it. :)

Bulldawg
09-02-2009, 21:58
Delightful, TinMan. Everytime I say something in a forum, you and one other seem to raise this issue all over again. Time for you to give it up. It's becoming an obsession with you, and you're much better than that.

TW

Who's the other??

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 22:00
Who's the other??

i have a list. would you like to sign up? :)

Bulldawg
09-02-2009, 22:02
i have a list. would you like to sign up? :)

Are you going to report me to the white house for providing the truth about poop?

sheepdog
09-02-2009, 22:06
Are you going to report me to the white house for providing the truth about poop?
The white house denies that poop exhists, but they are thinking about forming a sub-committee and apointing a poop czar.:eek:

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 22:12

no, the truth needs to come out

The white house denies that poop exhists, but they are thinking about forming a sub-committee and apointing a poop czar.:eek:

no need, already have one - tw

modiyooch
09-02-2009, 22:13
and you guys wonder why threads are closed? let them drift, you say. why?
I think we have been entertained enough. some real resourceful stuff here. I don't know why I waited all day to get on the site. work, maybe?

Dr O
09-02-2009, 22:16
sort of, but with a little less peace

lol :p

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 22:19
I think we have been entertained enough. some real resourceful stuff here. I don't know why I waited all day to get on the site. work, maybe?

so, you don't want to be on the list? :)

sheepdog
09-04-2009, 08:45
You would make a great moderator.

modiyooch
09-04-2009, 17:59
You would make a great moderator.nope. I don't have the time, patience, nor the tolerance. I give the moderators alot of credit. I would have booted people off and restricted the website a long time ago. The moderators are lenient, professional and better people than I'll ever be. I think we should minimize our complaints and be a bit more grateful. I like Whiteblaze the way it is. It's very resourceful and I get the answers that I need. I just had to learn to weed thru the BS which is why I have no problem with asking a question for the upteenth time.