PDA

View Full Version : Who needs to stop posting and go hiking...Redux

johnnybgood
08-30-2009, 21:10
I'm layin' down the mouse and steppin' away from the computer this Labor Day Weekend.

I know this for sure .

I'm going hiking.... enough said.:banana

Dogwood
08-30-2009, 21:18
OK I'll bite. I like sharing and learning here on WB. I think there is nothing wrong with that. It seems I always come across someone here on WB that I met on a trail somewhere that I haven't spoken to for awhile. I have a lot of friends here. Besides, I often hike and still manage to post when I'm in town.

Frau
08-30-2009, 21:18
We are, too--the North-South Trail in the Cranberry.

Frau and Nessmuk.

johnnybgood
08-30-2009, 21:32
We are, too--the North-South Trail in the Cranberry.

Frau and Nessmuk.
Where is this ?

Phreak
08-30-2009, 21:41
If I can get my wife's car fixed this week, then I'm headed out for 4 days next weekend. No idea where yet - but need to get out for a few days with my two dogs.

Jonnycat
08-30-2009, 21:43
I was going to go for a longish trip this week/weekend, but then I realized it was labor day weekend and I decided on a short mid-week trip instead.

LDW for me is like being a deer on opening day - I'm staying in town!

Tinker
08-30-2009, 22:01
I went for a nice long walk in the woods yesterday. It was pouring down rain. My wool socks and trail runners were wet and muddy. I was by myself, took a wrong turn, had to hike a couple of extra miles.
It was WONDERFUL. :D

johnnybgood
08-30-2009, 22:11
I went for a nice long walk in the woods yesterday. It was pouring down rain. My wool socks and trail runners were wet and muddy. I was by myself, took a wrong turn, had to hike a couple of extra miles.
It was WONDERFUL. :D
You were gelin' :cool:

Tinker
08-30-2009, 22:15
You got it! It's like that "Bad day of fishing" bumper sticker - better than a good day at work.
I'm working on Labor Day. That's what it's for, isn't it?
I'm in retail :(.

Egads
08-30-2009, 23:02
See you cats in Damascus Labor Day Weekend

Jester2000
08-30-2009, 23:05
If everyone on whiteblaze wants to go hiking on Labor Day Weekend I'll hold down the fort. I'll argue with myself on the Boy Scout thread.

Egads
08-30-2009, 23:08
If everyone on whiteblaze wants to go hiking on Labor Day Weekend I'll hold down the fort. I'll argue with myself on the Boy Scout thread.

you have a deal :sun

Tin Man
08-30-2009, 23:17

Scout thread?? On WB?? :eek: Run for your lives !!!

Mags
08-30-2009, 23:29
Taking a stroll on the Continental Divide starting tomorrow (Well, I drive to Durango tomorrow. Start Tuesday) I took the low route in 2006 due to snow. Hope to take the higher and more remote route from Silverton to Chama for ~150 miles. I should be done by Sept 7th or 8th.

Then I have to really start this "work" thing. Sigh.. :)

truthisnature
08-30-2009, 23:37
no kids and no scheduled Team in Training hikes so I am heading out on Saturday, Sunday and Monday gonna try to hit 3 different sections of the AT that I haven't seen yet. Planning on Rt 61 to the Windsor Furnace shelter, then rt 645 over to rt 443, and also a combo loop that will take us by Rausch Gap shelter. I gotta hit the lottery so I can just ditch the work scene and hike.

Wolf - 23000
08-31-2009, 08:18

Hey Jester,

What about covering down on the Fort I'm at? I would love to go hiking even if it is just for a few days. The problem I have is my UNCLE keeps telling me I have to stay and protect the fort other wise things have a habbit of going BOOM!!! :)

Enjoy your hike everyone. Wish I was there with you!

Wolf

JaxHiker
08-31-2009, 08:41
Hogpen to Dicks Creek this weekend.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 08:56
Neels to Dick's. Fri 2:00 p.m. to Mon 4:00 p.m.

Red Hat
08-31-2009, 09:02
If everyone on whiteblaze wants to go hiking on Labor Day Weekend I'll hold down the fort. I'll argue with myself on the Boy Scout thread. Since my husband is still having heart problems, I don't dare go out for more than a couple of hours. Came in from church yesterday and found him down. He had tried to take a shower without me being here. Not a good idea, since he can't breathe. You guys who are hiking have a great time out there!

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2009, 09:04
Neels to Dick's. Fri 2:00 p.m. to Mon 4:00 p.m.
It's Neel not Neels, at least learn the true name of where you've hiked.

chefjason
08-31-2009, 09:12

Not that I'm picking a fight, but kiss my ass! Go to the GATC and look at EVERY place they have NEELS gap listed. I made a link, in case you need help.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/GA-AT-Profiles.pdf

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2009, 09:14
Not that I'm picking a fight, but kiss my ass! Go to the GATC and look at EVERY place they have NEELS gap listed. I made a link, in case you need help.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/GA-AT-Profiles.pdf
Whoops...forgot to add:D

;)

chefjason
08-31-2009, 09:17
Whoops...forgot to add:D

;)

Uh oh. In that case, sorry for the PM.:datz Thought you were serious.:confused:

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2009, 09:18
No problem I'm on my second cup of coffee:sun

chefjason
08-31-2009, 09:19
No problem I'm on my second cup of coffee:sun

Rookie! I am on my second POT!:banana

Dogwood
08-31-2009, 10:09
Starting thru-hike of Sierra High Route Sept 6 from Cedar Grove - Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP. Should take abot 3 1/2 weeks. Taking leisurely pace to fish as often as weather allows at this time of the yr. Hiking around Lake Tahoe on the PCT after that to make up for trail closures due to fire last yr. Then heading over to Texas to possibly meet a friend to catch the fall colors in Guadalupe NP on a loop hike up McKettrick Canyon to the Tex state high pt. Then, back to work

Frau
08-31-2009, 13:09
The Cranberry Wilderness and Cranberry Backcountry in the Monongahela National Forest, WV. TERRIFIC place!

Frau

Czechtrecker
08-31-2009, 22:52
Franconia Notch, Liberty Spring to MT Pierce.

Jim Adams
08-31-2009, 23:27
Hiking saturday from my car to a great spot along the fence at the MX National at Delmont, Pa. BUT.......
I did get a visit from a bunch of past thru hikers this past weekend and we got on the river...super weekend.

geek

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:29
Hiking saturday from my car to a great spot along the fence at the MX National at Delmont, Pa. BUT.......
I did get a visit from a bunch of past thru hikers this past weekend and we got on the river...super weekend.

geek

Well make sure you pack enough provisions and a good bag. I hear the weather can change in an instant up 'ere in 'em yankee states!

Chaco Taco
09-01-2009, 20:43
Well make sure you pack enough provisions and a good bag. I hear the weather can change in an instant up 'ere in 'em yankee states!

Dont you think he would know that. Besides, you are in GA, he is PA. Think about it. :rolleyes:

Sup Geek?

Sleepy the Arab
09-01-2009, 20:52
I'll be making multiple hikes from the couch to the fridge.

Just kidding. I'll be in the Adirondacks.

Blissful
09-01-2009, 21:07
Since my husband is still having heart problems, I don't dare go out for more than a couple of hours. Came in from church yesterday and found him down. He had tried to take a shower without me being here. Not a good idea, since he can't breathe. You guys who are hiking have a great time out there!

So sorry Red Hat. Thinking of you. Take care.

Cool AT Breeze
09-01-2009, 21:09
Uh oh. In that case, sorry for the PM.:datz Thought you were serious.:confused:
Hey Chefjason come in the store before you start your hike. I'd like to meet you.

Blissful
09-01-2009, 21:09
No hiking for me this weekend. Though this week with the gorgeous weather is SO tempting (boy did i want to go up to SNP), except I have work to do and going to Denver in a few weeks for a conference. Oct is my time to hike.

Have fun out there and stay safe!!!

JokerJersey
09-01-2009, 21:19
Hitting Old Logger's Path in upstate PA this coming Sunday-Tuesday, then maybe a stretch of the Batona in NJ on Thurs-Fri. Unfortunately, then I have to come home and do some serious packing so I can move at the end of the month.

According to the "forecast", things are looking good...but since it's more than 24 hours away, who really knows?

Erin
09-01-2009, 21:25
I am spending a total of 16 hours in the car to camp and hike with freinds I see every other year. I can't wait! Everyone have a nice weekend too.

Tennessee Viking
09-01-2009, 21:56
Personally, I am heading to Boone NC for one day. Then heading to Andrews and the Nantalhala area for the rest. Not sure I will be on the trail though.

Jim Adams
09-01-2009, 22:15
Sup Geek?

Had Redwood, Girl Next Door and Easy in the house this weekend on their way to Vermont. Good times!:cool::D:eek::sun

geek

chefjason
09-01-2009, 22:42
Hey Chefjason come in the store before you start your hike. I'd like to meet you.

That was my plan all along! My wife and and kids are dropping me off on Friday around 3:00, in your parking lot. I was not aware that anyone on WB worked at the Walasi-Yi, nut now that I know, I will see you on Friday!...Lord willing.

weary
09-02-2009, 11:27
Taking a stroll on the Continental Divide starting tomorrow (Well, I drive to Durango tomorrow. Start Tuesday) I took the low route in 2006 due to snow. Hope to take the higher and more remote route from Silverton to Chama for ~150 miles. I should be done by Sept 7th or 8th.

Then I have to really start this "work" thing. Sigh.. :)
I caught the tail end of a Continental Divide Trail video on public television the other night. The narrator, Mark Flagler, I think, interviewed a Mags at one point. Was that you?

Weary

weary
09-02-2009, 11:56
I've spent the past two weeks working on town land trust trails, rebuilding bog bridges and building new bog bridges, and working with the Nature Conservancy on a new loop trail that will connect with an existing land trust trail in two places. One 110 acre land trust preserve abuts a 1900 acre parcel that was given to the Nature Conservancy a few years ago.

The new loop trail brings the total trails in this small town to around 31 miles, according to the new trail guide which I wrote and had printed last week.

I'll be working on new signs for many of these trail miles this fall, which means the next few days will be spent with a measuring wheel, to make sure some of our estimated lengths are correct. We want the signs to reflect accurate mileages.

All of which is a long way of saying I won't be on the AT for the holiday, but I'll be spending a lot of time in the woods.

Weary

toegem
09-02-2009, 12:18
I guess over Labor day week is a good as time as any to burn off some miles on a section hike. The only thing I'll hate is that 12 hour drive to Damascus this Friday.

Mags
09-07-2009, 17:58
I caught the tail end of a Continental Divide Trail video on public television the other night. The narrator, Mark Flagler, I think, interviewed a Mags at one point. Was that you?

Weary

Indeed it was. I was by myself quite a bit by that point (the interview was in New Mexico perhaps two weeks from the finish), so I VERY excited to be talking to people...as the interview probably showed. :)

Wise Old Owl
09-07-2009, 23:06
Glad nobody voted for me to do "less post" more walking. Hey I got out there and had a great time.

johnnybgood
09-08-2009, 22:12
I laced up the boots and did a pair of circuit hikes this past weekend.

Doyles River/Jones Run - Sun.
Wildcat Ridge/Riprap Trail-Mon.

A swarm of angry Yellow Jackets stung some kids hiking Wildcat Ridge about 1/2 mile down the trail from the parking lot.
They were hiking with their dad and said the attack was unprovoked.
Apparantly their nest had been disturbed.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

JaxHiker
09-08-2009, 22:18
Had a good time doing Hogpen to Dicks Creek. Should've gone on to Bly but I guess I'll have to pick that up some other time.

unclehud
09-09-2009, 01:19
Went bushwhacking on Cowrock Mountain. Google Earth shows some rock outcroppings that look interesting.

They were.

Saw a 3-foot bear in a tree as I walked to Whitley Gap shelter for water. Never saw a bear in a tree before.

chefjason
09-09-2009, 08:43
Had a good time doing Hogpen to Dicks Creek. Should've gone on to Bly but I guess I'll have to pick that up some other time.
hey jax, I was on the same section. Did we cross paths?

johnnybgood
08-30-2013, 22:27
Blue blaze hiking in Shenandoah this Labor Day weekend. What plans does anyone else have ?

Just Bill
08-30-2013, 22:31
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore with the family. Gunna get sand in my arsecrack- but watching my two year old help me build fires and climb dunes will be worth it.

johnnybgood
08-30-2013, 22:37
I enjoyed the sand dunes there many years ago,when I had in-laws living in Chicago. I remember climbing one pretty tough hill and I was thinking... sand dune my arse.

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 22:39
Yo yo bicycling the entire combined 100 mile+ length of the Silver Comet/Chief Ladiga Trails. 200 miles. A two overnight bicycle ride. Prepping for a desired bicycle tour from Atlanta to San Diego.

http://bikesilvercomet.com/default.aspx

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 22:44
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore with the family. Gunna get sand in my arsecrack- but watching my two year old help me build fires and climb dunes will be worth it.

There are more like you? Ahhh. Maybe he takes after mom.:D

Have a great time with your family.

Wash up well but don't sand yourself bare doing it.

dmax
08-30-2013, 22:54
I remember that dune. I'd be struggling to get up and Walter Payton would go running right by.
I plan on hitting a trail outside of Damascus next week on Tuesday or Wednesday after everyone else goes home.

rocketsocks
08-30-2013, 23:02
I'm layin' down the mouse and steppin' away from the computer this Labor Day Weekend.

I know this for sure .

I'm going hiking.... enough said.:banana
i'll bet you say this every year....:)

Rasty
08-30-2013, 23:05
I'll admit that I could use a good hike. Waiting for my lottery tickets to payoff.

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 23:07
week from sunday heading to maine, stratton down to grafton notch.

Another Kevin
08-30-2013, 23:07
Who needs to stop posting and go hiking? Me!

And I'm busy the next couple or three weekends. This weekend, I'm hauling a kid back to college. Then I have invitations in town for the next couple of weekends that people will be hurt if I don't come, although maybe I can squeeze in a couple of day trips. Then there's a week-long business trip to N'Awlins.

Maybe the weekend before the business trip, I can manage to sneak away. Or else maybe I can book some comp time and play hooky from work. I gotta get out, my feet are itchy.

Marta
08-30-2013, 23:09
Heading out tomorrow morning. The weather has gotten markedly colder in the last couple of days. Saw yellow leaves on the trees when I drove to West Glacier this afternoon. Feels like fall.

I hope I've packed enough warm stuff...

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 23:27
Feed me. Where you going Marta?

johnnybgood
08-30-2013, 23:29
Heading out tomorrow morning. The weather has gotten markedly colder in the last couple of days. Saw yellow leaves on the trees when I drove to West Glacier this afternoon. Feels like fall.

I hope I've packed enough warm stuff...

Send us some cool weather Marta. It's still humid here.

rocketsocks
08-30-2013, 23:38
been way to freaking humid all summer long...worst I can remember in years!

...in the East that is.

Just Bill
08-30-2013, 23:51
Our leaves were falling too- my back porch looks like fall. Even been too hot out for the leaves... Still, did a tune-up trip though on Wed/Thur- 36 hour 75 miler- HOT.

BirdBrain
08-31-2013, 00:19
Who needs to stop posting and go hiking?

That would be me. And guess what? I am. I hiked all of July and every weekend since. Going to do most of the east end of Acadia over the weekend. I notice no one else has posted that as a destination. Guess I will be up there alone. Phew! I thought I might have to fight a crowd.

capehiker
08-31-2013, 00:24
I'm doing an overnight in MD. That's all I could swing.

Different Socks
08-31-2013, 00:32
Goin hiking also: Heart Lake in Helena NF and CDT at Rogers Pass.

Marta
08-31-2013, 01:07
Feed me. Where you going Marta?

Not sure tomorrow. I'll be looking for a walk-in front-country site, which are scarce this weekend. We've got backcountry reservations for Sunday night. I don't want to give out place names until after the trip, except to say they're all in Glacier NP.

Marta
08-31-2013, 01:09
Send us some cool weather Marta. It's still humid here.

And a lot of places out here would be a lot better off if a tenth of the rain y'all have been getting would fall.

Dogwood
08-31-2013, 02:32
Take me away to Acadia, Glacier, Rocky Mountain, Olympic ,or the lesser hiked 14ers in CO. This has been my first summer on the mid/lower east coast in yrs. As beautiful as it can be I've had enough!

MuddyWaters
08-31-2013, 21:06

You are correct of course. I use them interchangeably though, as do most others.

Since named after WR Neel, if one uses it in the singular possessive sense, it makes sense to say Neel's. but its really just easier just to say Neels than Neel.

To stay on topic, Ive a few more weeks till I go for a little tramp ..um hike.

Different Socks
09-01-2013, 01:04
Take me away to Acadia, Glacier, Rocky Mountain, Olympic ,or the lesser hiked 14ers in CO. This has been my first summer on the mid/lower east coast in yrs. As beautiful as it can be I've had enough!

Get away from the people if you really wish to see Acadia, one of the top 10 visited parks in the country!

WalksInDark
09-01-2013, 11:57
For the first time in two years, i got back to PA to do some more AT section hiking.

Left my car at Doyle's in Duncannan, PA and started hiking north. Was surprised to find how long the hike through town was to get to the AT trail head down by the river. Was shocked to find out how hard it was to go the +500' up from the trail head to the first real plateau. Ditto for the next X hundred feet as well. Long story short, I over packed, was carrying way too much weight (some in my pack, more on my belly) and was in good enough shape to comfortably handle "Rocksvillania."

Enjoyed three days in the woods..and came home last night to R&R.

Really need to wear my full pack on my weekly keep-in-shape hikes.

Hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend!

WalksInDark
09-01-2013, 11:58
Whoops, should have said WAS NOT in shape.

BirdBrain
09-02-2013, 05:24
Get away from the people if you really wish to see Acadia, one of the top 10 visited parks in the country!
Not that hard to avoid people in Acadia. Just go for a hike there. Stay away from the loop road and Cadillac. We were dropped off at the end of Rt 3at Otter Cliffs on Sunday. We hiked over Gorham, Beehive, Champlain, Huguenot, Dorr, Cadillac south face, and Pemetic. We saw about 30 people until we got to the Bubble Rock parking area. For hikers it is not that hard to avoid people at Acadia. Just don't act like a tourist. Go for a walk.

Edro
09-02-2013, 10:18
Im staying home this Labor Day Weekend saveing my money. Im going to Ellijay Ga for 2 weeks on the 10th. i'll be looking for a good hike then. Woo Hoo! i hope every one enjoys their Labor Day also..

atmilkman
09-02-2013, 10:38
Since named after WR Neel, if one uses it in the singular possessive sense, it makes sense to say Neel's. but its really just easier just to say Neels than Neel.

How true dear Hollingsworth, yes, yes, how true indeed. It is also potatoes and tomatoes. But, we still calls em' taters and maters.

Drybones
09-02-2013, 12:17
I plan to start back at Pearisburg the second week of October and go to Harpers Ferry...looking forward to seeing VA colors again.

Marta
09-03-2013, 00:05
23789Hiked to Gunsight Lake this weekend.
23790After finding frost on my tent Sunday morning, the weather turned remarkably hot.

T.S.Kobzol
09-03-2013, 06:54
WHAT!?: Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

T.S.Kobzol
09-03-2013, 06:56
Sorry. New phone forum app is a little flaky.

WHAT!?: Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

Deer Hunter
09-03-2013, 07:05
I laced up the boots and did a pair of circuit hikes this past weekend.

Doyles River/Jones Run - Sun.
Wildcat Ridge/Riprap Trail-Mon.

A swarm of angry Yellow Jackets stung some kids hiking Wildcat Ridge about 1/2 mile down the trail from the parking lot.
They were hiking with their dad and said the attack was unprovoked.
Apparantly their nest had been disturbed.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

I did this hike this past Saturday.

fins1838
09-03-2013, 07:10
Since my husband is still having heart problems, I don't dare go out for more than a couple of hours. Came in from church yesterday and found him down. He had tried to take a shower without me being here. Not a good idea, since he can't breathe. You guys who are hiking have a great time out there!
GeeZus. Hope he's recovering ok.

Marta
09-03-2013, 07:42
GeeZus. Hope he's recovering ok.

That post was made in 2009. Her husband did not recover, but continued to decline, then passed away.

Red Hat is presently hiking the Colorado Trail.

T.S.Kobzol
09-03-2013, 08:44

Went to the Cutler Preserve, The Bold Coast trail after I missed it on my past paddling trip to Acadia region. This time it was my lovely wife and 15 year old son. The trail reminded me of Vermont's Long Trail. Lots of PUDs, Mossy, sometimes overgrown, mushrooms, foggy, blackberies, mountain cranberries, sea lions ... lovely. Stayed at a remote campsite on a cliff overlooking the atlantic ocean. No drinking water :eek: - ended up boiling rainwater from clear pools in the cliffs.

johnnybgood
09-03-2013, 12:01
I did this hike this past Saturday.

Glad to see you were able to get out and get some hiking in Deer Hunter.

Did both those again this past spring and the falls were running full.
Hiked Hazel Country this weekend in the northern central district.

Deer Hunter
09-03-2013, 14:23
Glad to see you were able to get out and get some hiking in Deer Hunter.

Did both those again this past spring and the falls were running full.
Hiked Hazel Country this weekend in the northern central district.

Thanks. Vertigo hasn't been to bad and I'm working on getting back into shape. Hope to do a 3 day hike this weekend between Rt. 625 and Bland. Weather should be cooler. :)

kidchill
09-03-2013, 18:08
Hey Kobzol, what Salomons are those, and how is the grip on wet surfaces?

T.S.Kobzol
09-03-2013, 18:13
Kidchill, those are my sons...he says they are Speedcross 3. He says they are pretty good on slippery surfaces. He bought them in Europe this summer. Not sure if they are available in North America.

hikerboy57
09-03-2013, 18:15
hey kidchill, if you want good grip, check out the lasportivas which use climbing rubber. ultra raptors highly recommended.

kidchill
09-03-2013, 18:31
I boycott La Sportiva's. When I was doing my thru, there was hiker that bought some and they fell apart within a ridiculously short distance, like less then 100miles (also, this wasn't NH or ME miles) and when he contacted the company, they wouldn't do anything for him. So, I have a real problem with companies that don't stand by their products. I started the trail with Salomon XA 3d ultra, whatever they were, but the grip was horrible! I switched to XR Missions which were significantly better for grip, but still questionable at times. I need to find a sticky rubber compound shoe. I bought some Inov-8's before I left for the trail, but the fit was totally off, so I didn't take them with me. The problem is, I find, that fit is one of the most important things in regards to foot wear, but not a lot of local stores carry the shoes I'm most interested in. I've been kind of eying some approach/ascent shoes with sticky rubber, but I'm not sure of the characteristics of those type of shoes vs runners/hikers. I have a friend that has the Speedcross model, but he mostly mountain bikes and trail runs, so I'm not sure if he's had them out on the trail yet. I'll have to ask him what he thinks about them. Fall is coming, which means I'll be hitting the trail hard...

Drybones
09-03-2013, 20:35

Treksta shoes have by far the best grip I've found, fiberglass impregnated in the soles.