PDA

View Full Version : poisonous beetles in vermont???

sugardaddy
07-26-2004, 10:31
Hey all, first time user of Whiteblaze here... I'm thru-hiking now, currently in Hanover, NH. I got bit by some kind of insect the other day. Now my ankle is all swolen and I have a rash. Pictures to be posted to my trailjuornals site next week... www.trailjournals.com/sugardaddy

I only got a quick glance at it before I swiped the thing off my leg, but here's what I saw. Its back looked shiny and hard, like a beetle. But it was long and skinny like an ant, not round like a beetle. I think it had a mouth like a tick, with pincers that come in from the sides. The entire bug was about three quarters of an inch long, black, shiny, with no spots or stripes. I got bit in Vermont, just south of Cloudland Road (18 miles AT south of Hanover).

Anyone know what this is? Why is my ankle swolen? What meds do I need? Reply here or sign my trailjournals guestbook... Thanks!

attroll
07-26-2004, 12:52
After looking at your photos. I don't know what you have on your waist. But you better get that checked out very soon.

food
07-26-2004, 13:30
Did it look like the bug in this link?

http://www.findlay.edu/users/texc/

Pencil Pusher
07-26-2004, 16:51
That "Is this Lyme Disease" photo doesn't look so good. The first photo in that series just made me think it was something caused by the hip belt, but that shower photo... yech. I agree, get that checked out. Maybe seeing a doctor will knock two birds out with one stone, seeing how you're now wondering about your ankle. Or maybe both symptoms are related...

oruoja
07-27-2004, 12:54
By your description the insect in question almost sounds like an Earwig, except that its pincers are on the rear. Have never heard of an Earwig attack, but imagine it can pierce the skin causing irritations or some sort of infection. This is something I would let an MD get a look at just to be sure.

SavageLlama
07-27-2004, 13:29
bro, this rash doesn't look at all.. (did you pick that up from a trail whore? :D )
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=53281

And if you've got another one from the beetle, it's time to see a doc.