PDA

View Full Version : Snickers bars... how to keep from melting??

Downhill Trucker
08-31-2009, 04:31
I know its silly cause I'll eat them in a gooey mess anyways, but I was curious if anyone had a trick for keeping my delightful trail buddies from melting so much in the heat?

mudhead
08-31-2009, 04:49
Dunk them in a stream.

Easier to eat than hot Hershey Bars.:eek:

Mrs Baggins
08-31-2009, 06:21
I keep my food bag right underneath my water bladder. Helps to keep everything in the bag cooler. I lay the water bladder over at the top of my pack, not slid down in a sleeve along the back.

Bearpaw
08-31-2009, 09:01
One, keep your food bag inside your pack as much as possible, avoiding direct sunlight.

Two, if temps are consistently above 80 F most of the day, switch to Little Debbie Brownies for that trip/section. ;)

sarbar
08-31-2009, 10:06
Yep, if they melt, find a cold stream, they will go back to solid in a few minutes.

I carry candy bars in my cozy though during the day. Works well.

Jester2000
08-31-2009, 10:12
When it's hot out, if you wrap an insulation layer (a fleece, for example) around your food bag, it'll keep things from melting. What keeps you warm can keep other things cool.

Hooch
08-31-2009, 10:25
Anyone thought about freezing them, then wrapping in fleece and stuffing in your pack as you leave the casa? Might be worth giving a shot.

Donnie
08-31-2009, 14:22
I recently posted this in another thread but here it is again:

Simply place your candy bar inside your water bottle (that is, if you carry one). Although the water may warm up in very warm terperatures, it is unlikely that it will reach high enough temperatures to melt the chocolate. Considering that the candy bars are wrapped in air-tight packaging, you don't have to worry about them getting wet. Also, this encourages you to hydrate while eating.

-Donnie

kanga
08-31-2009, 14:25
eat them?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

peter_pan
08-31-2009, 15:25
Pack them in the middle of your poncho liner or sleeping bag....Perfect... Way we did it at the US Army Jungle School.... works in the 90+* and 90+ humidity of Panama... Should work easy on the AT.;)

Pan

1azarus
08-31-2009, 16:10
I just sent this to Mars inc.:

Hello. I am a serious long distance hiker, and, as with many other hikers, just love to eat snickers!!! Recently I read a suggestion that storing the next snickers bar to eat (still in the wrapper) in your water bottle will keep it cooler during hot temperature hikes. I wondered if there was any problem with exposing the inks, etc. on the outside of the wrapper to drinking water, a few hours at a time. I certainly know that the inside of the wrapper is safe... just wondering about the outside! Seems like a good idea and I wanted to try it... what do you think?

you all will have to forgive me for posing as a "serious long distance hiker!" i just hoped i'd get them to respond... think i'll ever hear from them?

Tuckahoe
08-31-2009, 17:05
Just wait a couple years for a new "low cal no-melt" chocolate to hit the market -- http://santabarbarachocolate.blogspot.com/2009/08/no-melt-chocolate-by-callebaut.html

Rocket Jones
08-31-2009, 18:42
Just wait a couple years for a new "low cal no-melt" chocolate to hit the market -- http://santabarbarachocolate.blogspot.com/2009/08/no-melt-chocolate-by-callebaut.html

Crayola came out with that long ago. I remember eating them in kindergarten. At least, that's what Dougie told me it was.

Ranc0r
08-31-2009, 18:50
Hershey had a "tropical formulation" chocolate bar in MRE's once upon a time... Seemed like mostly wax to me, but it may also have been a reduced cocoa butter bar.

Buzz_Lightfoot
09-01-2009, 13:28
I just sent this to Mars inc.:

Hello. I am a serious long distance hiker, and, as with many other hikers, just love to eat snickers!!! Recently I read a suggestion that storing the next snickers bar to eat (still in the wrapper) in your water bottle will keep it cooler during hot temperature hikes. I wondered if there was any problem with exposing the inks, etc. on the outside of the wrapper to drinking water, a few hours at a time. I certainly know that the inside of the wrapper is safe... just wondering about the outside! Seems like a good idea and I wanted to try it... what do you think?

you all will have to forgive me for posing as a "serious long distance hiker!" i just hoped i'd get them to respond... think i'll ever hear from them?

Put them in a baggie and put THAT in the water bottle?

mister krabs
09-01-2009, 13:41
get the fun size ones, they're easier to eat when they're a gooey mess :sun

atraildreamer
09-01-2009, 13:55
Hike in winter. :eek:

Dogwood
09-01-2009, 15:56
Place in cool environment or, alternatively, spray with enamel paint and then wrap in aluminum foil. YUM YUM!

1azarus
09-02-2009, 17:36
I'm very excited! Mars just emailed me a file reference number and a phone number! Tomorrow I can find out if it is safe to lick the outside of a snickers wrapper!... well, er, or put it in your water bottle. will keep you posted on this most important matter.

Foyt20
09-02-2009, 20:25
Nice. 1azarus, way to ask the pressing questions :D

max patch
09-02-2009, 20:32
When my Snickers melt I just smear them on a rock.

vonfrick
09-02-2009, 20:33
Place in cool environment or, alternatively, spray with enamel paint and then wrap in aluminum foil. YUM YUM!

save a step and use lead-based paint

Spokes
09-02-2009, 20:41
You can't. Switch to tootsie rolls until the temps cool down.

1azarus
09-03-2009, 16:41
I'm very excited! Mars just emailed me a file reference number and a phone number! Tomorrow I can find out if it is safe to lick the outside of a snickers wrapper!... well, er, or put it in your water bottle. will keep you posted on this most important matter.

wow, what a great world we live in!!! i just spoke to the Mars consumer help person, and they researched my question.... and.... the inks and the entire wrapper are actually approved for human consumption (honest!). they did not have any nutritional data on the wrapper, so you might not want to eat it, but -- sure, go ahead and put them in your water bottle to keep them from melting. no problem. and don't try this with your deet container.

slickgoku
09-04-2009, 19:55
You can't. Switch to tootsie rolls until the temps cool down.

Snickers bars are a million times better than Tootsie rolls, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread!

SunnyWalker
09-10-2009, 21:50
Aren't Mars Bars better for you on the carb/fat issue? (by the way, I use the cozie also).

warraghiyagey
09-10-2009, 21:51
http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/acatalog/126.jpg