PDA

View Full Version : Running out of time... ankle/leg issue

tomandcolin
08-31-2009, 14:19
Hi, i'm currently in Bennington VT on a NOBO thru hike. My leg has been giving me issues for a few days and its not getting better - i'm heading back to the BirdCage in dalton to chill for a few days with Rob.

This poses the issue that, as of today, i have 44 days to get to Katahdin. By the time my leg gets better i'll have even less than that.

Cant afford to flip flop, must get hike finished this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking about skipping VT and just finishing NH and ME then coming back and hiking the LT and all the bits i'd missed in Vermont, or is it Vermud?

Any ideas are awesome - if anyone can tell me the odds of hiking Big K after the 15th Oct i would be tickled pink. Most oppinions vary. Alot.

Cheers everyone

Tom a.k.a "BAD CAMPER!"

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2009, 14:47
I think that what you've planned is exactly what should do.

Most folks take 9-11 days to hike Vermont, so you'd gain the better part of two weeks if you jump Vermont and save it for later. Plus, you can hike VT in comparative safety (if not comfort) well into October or even early November, which you wouldn't want to do in NH or Maine.

Keeping in mind that your healing process may well involve slower mileage and some additional town time, here are some figures to keep in mind:

I assume you want to finish by 15 October.

It takes most people 35-39 days to get from Hanover to Katahdin, with 37-38being about right for most folks. This usually means around 12 days for New Hampshire and 22-26 for Maine. This includes at least a couple of zero days, which for most folks means Gorham and Stratton.

Tomorrow is 1 September, i.e. if you left Hanover within a few days, you'd have close to 45 days to finish your trip, which should be just fine, assuming your leg is OK to hike on. And if you're "jumping ahead", you might want to jump all the way to Glencliff instead of Hanover, and save those miles for later on, as that'll give you an extra three days to play with before 15 October. (The Hanover to Glencliff stretch is pretty easy and can be safely done well into October).

All this being said, keep in mind that Baxter State Park and Katahdin don't close on 15 October. The Park is open year round, and you can summit whenever you wish. However, Park rules change (i.e. you can't legally overnight in the Park after the 15th) and you have a much greater risk of running into poor weather, but you can certainly climb Katahdin after the 15th, and plenty of folks do, and in many cases, they have great (if cold) weather.

But I still think that in your case jumping ahead might be a pretty good idea. It takes the time pressure problem away; it enables you to get to Katahdin before the more serious weather arrives; and you'll be able to finish up and "fill in" your missing sections at your leisure.

Oh, another good reason to jump up to Glencliff: I was up there yesterday, and it looks like they're about to have a really fine stretch of weather in the White Mountains. This is an opportunity you might well want to take advantage of, especially if you're still nursing a bad leg.

Pedaling Fool
08-31-2009, 15:09
I summited Katahdin 14 Oct 2006. That night was cold, down to about 20 degrees. In the morning I had to chip my water into the pot, vice pouring it for my morning coffee:D There were ice patches all around as I climbed, but turned out to be a perfect day:sun

Judging by this year's crazy and erratic weather up there, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to skip that muddy state.

arla
08-31-2009, 20:34
Too bad you didn't post yesterday as I drove to Hanover today from Bennington and could have dropped you off at Jack's--if only I knew how to find him.

Bottom Bunk
08-31-2009, 23:21
My leg has been giving me issues for a few days and its not getting better - i'm heading back to the BirdCage in dalton to chill for a few days with Rob.

Very sorry to hear that Tom - we are all certainly pulling for you and hope to see you back on the trail soon enough, regardless of what you end up choosing to do.

Get well soon mate!

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 15:57
TomandColin:

I just got back to town and may be here for a bit. If you think you're gonna be in Hanover, PM me and let me know when.