PDA

View Full Version : About the Movie TREK

bishopj
08-31-2009, 23:33
Just got done watching the movie trek not a very good impression of Thur-Hikers
1 Soda machine they put the money in did not get a soda they hit and kick the machine
should have when in the store and tell the folks the maching was not working. They might have got their money back.
2 They rip up a sign from the road that said dead end road on it and put on the soda machine.
3 End of hiking a high mile to get to a club that turn out to be private member only
club then wine when they would not feed them.
I could go on but no point to it This is the reason a lot of of use to take in Thur-Hiker close their doors now to Thur-Hikers. Not a good way to make a good impression on
people. How many of you watch this film and watch what these guys were doing they
call them self the four horsemen. They seen like just some spoil kids who did not get
their way got mad about it.

:(

warraghiyagey
08-31-2009, 23:36
The movie Southbounders sucked moose ass too. . .

Jim Adams
08-31-2009, 23:39
I liked them both.

geek

chefjason
08-31-2009, 23:39
The movie Southbounders sucked moose ass too. . .

a man could really get hurt sucking moose ass couldn't he?

Elder
09-01-2009, 00:26
:-? wouldn't that depend on doing it right? :rolleyes: :eek:

Pacific Tortuga
09-01-2009, 01:12
Maybe the film maker of 'TREK" can answer your thread, he's a member here at WB's.

Jim Adams
09-01-2009, 05:08
If I remember correctly the soda machine was not at a store...no business nearby.

geek

bjackw
09-01-2009, 07:31
A just re-watched TREK the other day. Although I really enjoyed the movie, I do agree the soda-machine incident was unpleasant and unnecessary. I thought the private club situation was funny and well told. I didn't think anyone was whining... they knew that they were taking a gamble and fortunately it worked out for everyone...

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2009, 08:17
This wouldn't be the soda machine at the Fontana Marina parking lot, would it?

I've lost my money in that damn machine everytime I've been through there...I thought about throwing it in the lake.:mad:

Lyle
09-01-2009, 08:49
Just got done watching the movie trek not a very good impression of Thur-Hikers
1 Soda machine they put the money in did not get a soda they hit and kick the machine
should have when in the store and tell the folks the maching was not working. They might have got their money back.
2 They rip up a sign from the road that said dead end road on it and put on the soda machine.
3 End of hiking a high mile to get to a club that turn out to be private member only
club then wine when they would not feed them.
I could go on but no point to it This is the reason a lot of of use to take in Thur-Hiker close their doors now to Thur-Hikers. Not a good way to make a good impression on
people. How many of you watch this film and watch what these guys were doing they
call them self the four horsemen. They seen like just some spoil kids who did not get
their way got mad about it.

:(

I think you're over-reacting, or mis-interpreting.

I thought the soda machine incident was humerus.

1) The machine was at the restrooms at the Marina - no store to go into. Who hasn't slapped a machine when it ate your money? They didn't do anything to damage it. Discussed "tilting" it but didn't. The "kicks" were for show only, no damage could have been done. I chuckled at the comment about it being guarded by a moth.
2) The sign looked to me like a very old one that had been removed because the bottom of the post had rotted away. Since this appears to be a maintenance-type facility also. I just assumed they found it in a junk pile. No indication otherwise.
3) They were approached by members who offered to see what they could do for 'em. They ended up working for a meal on the back porch. They were then sent away with a box of food for later. No indication that the facility's staff was anything but happy to do what they did. The folks they "whined" to stuck around and then gave them a ride back to the trail, didn't give me the impression that they felt like they were "put upon".

I thought the film was pretty good, slightly different in that it stayed focused mostly on this small group, not doing much investigating of the broader hiker community that develops. A bit different of focus than most of the videos.

Sounds to me like you watched the video looking for demons to not like about it.

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2009, 09:25

1) The machine was at the restrooms at the Marina - no store to go into. Who hasn't slapped a machine when it ate your money? They didn't do anything to damage it. Discussed "tilting" it but didn't. The "kicks" were for show only, no damage could have been done. I chuckled at the comment about it being guarded by a moth....
That's funny, it does sound like the same machine I was talking about (I haven't seen the movie). Is this the Fontana Marina?

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2009, 09:37
right before you reach the summit of wayah bald,you come out of the woods onto a asphalt sidewalk/road, leading from the parking lot to the summit. there are bathrooms and a soda machine. at least there used to be.thats where i thought they were.

A-Train
09-01-2009, 09:40

1) The machine was at the restrooms at the Marina - no store to go into. Who hasn't slapped a machine when it ate your money? They didn't do anything to damage it. Discussed "tilting" it but didn't. The "kicks" were for show only, no damage could have been done. I chuckled at the comment about it being guarded by a moth.
2) The sign looked to me like a very old one that had been removed because the bottom of the post had rotted away. Since this appears to be a maintenance-type facility also. I just assumed they found it in a junk pile. No indication otherwise.
3) They were approached by members who offered to see what they could do for 'em. They ended up working for a meal on the back porch. They were then sent away with a box of food for later. No indication that the facility's staff was anything but happy to do what they did. The folks they "whined" to stuck around and then gave them a ride back to the trail, didn't give me the impression that they felt like they were "put upon".

I thought the film was pretty good, slightly different in that it stayed focused mostly on this small group, not doing much investigating of the broader hiker community that develops. A bit different of focus than most of the videos.

Sounds to me like you watched the video looking for demons to not like about it.

Agreed. Not sure how they were spoiled kids-they had to work for their dinner that night. Overall they seemed pretty respectful of the trail and trail culture and didn't do anything harmful to their surroundings. And yeah, that post was broken and rotted and that machine has been whacky for years.

Where did you get the information that this is the behavior that has shut facilities down on the trail? Generally it was alcohol related incidents that have shut church and other hostels down and occasionally a proprietor has gotten fed up with hiker entitlement, which is available in not only the 20 year old model, but also the grumpy old man version too.

Deadeye
09-01-2009, 11:00
This wouldn't be the soda machine at the Fontana Marina parking lot, would it?

I've lost my money in that damn machine everytime I've been through there...I thought about throwing it in the lake.:mad:

What's Einsteins mantra? Don't keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome... go ahead, put some more money in there and see what happens...:D

Teatime
09-01-2009, 15:44
I have "Trek" and have watched it several times. I agree with some others have written. The soda machine thing was humorous and it doesn't look to me liked they dug up the sign, it was just lying around nearby. Who among us hasn't known that feeling, right? Hiking all day in the heat and you can't get your mind off an ice cold Coke...then, the stupid machine doesn't cough it up. bishopj obviously hasn't experienced this or he would be more understanding.
Concerning the country club, they were in a "food mood" and took the chance. It worked out for them and they were HAPPY to wash a few dishes for their meal. It was some trail magic. Add the "to-go" boxes and the ride back to the trail and they were "buzzing", as they say, from the whole episode. Doesn't sound like whining to me. They then talked about how they were selfish and didn't stop at the shelter because they didn't want to share their food. They then got caught in an T-Storm and lost their camera, which they had to go back down the trail 2-miles and get. They said it went from being one of the best days on the trail to one of the worst days in a matter of hours.

Jeff
09-01-2009, 16:14
Great movie. I would recommend it to future and past thruhikers.

Even safe enough to allow Scouts to view.

Jim Adams
09-01-2009, 16:25
I thought that the soda machine was at the small park where the War Correspondents Memorial was located. There is a picnic area, maintenance buildings, etc.

geek

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2009, 16:40
The great movie about hiking the whole Appalachian Trail, whether actual, instructional, or fictional, is still waiting to be made.

Downhill Trucker
09-01-2009, 16:40
I thought that the soda machine was at the small park where the War Correspondents Memorial was located. There is a picnic area, maintenance buildings, etc.

geek

Gathland State Park MD

Ironically it's eaten my money over the years and the last time I was there it gave me a diet soda (the last thing I need after 8 days on the trail)

Where are these movies avalible?

Jim Adams
09-01-2009, 17:22
The great movie about hiking the whole Appalachian Trail, whether actual, instructional, or fictional, is still waiting to be made.

So true Jack. I find it ironic that IMO the best movie about thru hiking for the general public is Southbounders. I really like all of the other movies produced but if I watch them with nonhikers, the facts, details, etc. seems to make them bored...seems that they tend to really get into Southbounders because it is a good story and has some comedy that they understand...good entertainment but still not the perfect answer.

geek

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2009, 17:39

geekit happened way too early in the show for it to be way up in maryland, it happened before the food mood scene at bald mtn.. i remember seeing a sign exactly like the one in the movie laying on the ground near the restrooms at wayah bald. thats my guess? hope somebody figures it out?

Tabasco
09-01-2009, 18:12
That coke machine is at NC-28 in front of Fontana Marina. In fact, had they turned the camera around, you would have seen the marina store less than 100 yards away. MMMMMMMMMMMMM, ice cream.

Rain Man
09-01-2009, 18:36
That coke machine is at NC-28 in front of Fontana Marina. In fact, had they turned the camera around, you would have seen the marina store less than 100 yards away. MMMMMMMMMMMMM, ice cream.

Yes, that is the machine. It didn't want to work for me back in '04, either. If I recall, the bathrooms were locked too. Not a particularly happy spot. I sure don't remember any marina, but maybe it was closed too, or I didn't know any better.

I have the DVD and have watched it three or four times over the years. I don't recall getting a bad impression of the boys. They didn't really beat up on the coke machine and that sign was just trash laying around, which they put to humorous use. I liked the story of getting trail magic at the "country club."

Rain:sunMan

Survivor Dave
09-01-2009, 18:48
Yes, that is the machine. It didn't want to work for me back in '04, either. If I recall, the bathrooms were locked too. Not a particularly happy spot. I sure don't remember any marina, but maybe it was closed too, or I didn't know any better.

I have the DVD and have watched it three or four times over the years. I don't recall getting a bad impression of the boys. They didn't really beat up on the coke machine and that sign was just trash laying around, which they put to humorous use. I liked the story of getting trail magic at the "country club."

Rain:sunMan

Not working on my section to Fontana last year.

Yes, I thought the movie was pretty good. OP is wrong about the Country Club and I doubt they pulled up that sign. I assure you if the guy that did this movie is a member here, he probably wouldn't be here now.:rolleyes:

Thank you makers and hikers of TREK..it keeps the Trail fresh every once in a while when I can't get out.

BTW, what is the username for the director/producer here on WB?

Blissful
09-01-2009, 21:05
I liled it very much. Watched it many times before my hike.

And I have had a soda machine eat my money on the trail. Not fun at all when one is hot and sweaty and tired. I could see banging it and putting a sign there (if one is found nearby. Of course I dont agree with pulling one out of the ground).