PDA

View Full Version : aggrivated with the daily grind

theb1440
09-01-2009, 03:57
annoyed with daily life... all i think about all day every day is getting on the trail! its driving me CRAZY! march cant get here soon enough!

...sorry, just venting i guess.

rp1790
09-01-2009, 07:54
annoyed with daily life... all i think about all day every day is getting on the trail! its driving me CRAZY! march cant get here soon enough!

Know how you feel. I did 700 something miles on the AT this year and headed home to New Zealand, I think about the trail everyday and getting back on it. I can't even think about getting a job :-(

Pedaling Fool
09-01-2009, 08:19
Hiking the trail is just as much of a daily grind.

sixhusbands
09-01-2009, 08:40
I know the feeling, it's like waiting for Christmas morning when you were a kid, but you need to find a way to deal with your daily routine now.
I heard Bill Irwin ( his book Blind Courage is a must read) speak about his trials and triumphs on the trail. But the one thing that hit me between the eyes was this fact: If you are going out on the trail to escape from something or if this experience is the only thing in your life, you will be even more unhappy when you return and get back into the old routine. His advise was to resolve what is making you unhappy first and then do the trail. You will enjoy the trip more and have something to look forward to upon your return.

Hiking the trail will be a life changing experience , no doubt, you will learn a lot about yourself. You may or may not return to the trail afterwords but you will always have the experience and no one can ever take that away from you.

Good luck, get in shape and I hope you can make it through the net few months. It will be here before you know it!

Blissful
09-01-2009, 13:57
Don't worry, it will be here before you know it.

mrhughes1982
09-01-2009, 18:55
I feel ya man. I work at a computer tech shooting for people and I spend about all my time not on the phone on here researching. I've put my trek off for to long. Was going to do it in 2004 and couldn't and know I'm finally in a spot where I can. Just as long as nothing comes up to stop me again. I even think I'm going to practice abstinence until then. :-?

Wise Old Owl
09-01-2009, 18:58

I don't know how you feel and I would ...... Anyway if you are married... you have your lot in life.... If you are not.

Quit!

theb1440
09-02-2009, 02:51
I know the feeling, it's like waiting for Christmas morning when you were a kid, but you need to find a way to deal with your daily routine now.
I heard Bill Irwin ( his book Blind Courage is a must read) speak about his trials and triumphs on the trail. But the one thing that hit me between the eyes was this fact: If you are going out on the trail to escape from something or if this experience is the only thing in your life, you will be even more unhappy when you return and get back into the old routine. His advise was to resolve what is making you unhappy first and then do the trail. You will enjoy the trip more and have something to look forward to upon your return.

Hiking the trail will be a life changing experience , no doubt, you will learn a lot about yourself. You may or may not return to the trail afterwords but you will always have the experience and no one can ever take that away from you.

Good luck, get in shape and I hope you can make it through the net few months. It will be here before you know it!

yeah that makes sense but im actually doing it as a transition point in my life. im 25, been in the military and prettymuch bounced around from job to job eversince i got out. i have decided that i am going to go back to school and decided that i want to hike the trail before i start. so gladly i wont be coming back to the same thing when im done.

stranger
09-02-2009, 08:47
I hear ya, when you're thinking about the trail life just seems to drag on endlessly at times. Personally, I've found this year particularly difficult for me (I hiked last year) but have come to the end of a long waiting period - setting out in two weeks to hike the 600 mile Bibbulmun Track in Western Australia! So happy about that!

But then it will be back to the grind, November to March, then will be heading back to New York and doing some prep hikes before heading to Springer towards the end of April. I've been saving like a madman so next year is looking fairly good for me, the plan is to not have to work until September or October, but that might be a little bit ambitious. Of course living in the southern hemisphere means our summer is during North America's winter, so the timing works out great for me!

Anyhow, will be good to catch up with you all next year!

inkedloner
10-16-2009, 02:48
I work in a warehouse full of car parts. Not exactly glamorus...So come march, time to quit, box what I got left, and just start to live about a decade after watching my friend do the same. Only thing I'll miss is an alarm clock.

No debt, no woman, no kids.

Red Beard
10-27-2009, 12:42
I work in a warehouse full of car parts. Not exactly glamorus...So come march, time to quit, box what I got left, and just start to live about a decade after watching my friend do the same. Only thing I'll miss is an alarm clock.

No debt, no woman, no kids.

Sounds good. My job has gotten so bad, I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. By March, the school loans should be paid in full, I'll sell my car, and stop hating life so much for a while.

Doctari
10-27-2009, 13:57
I don't know how you feel and I would ...... Anyway if you are married... you have your lot in life.... If you are not.

Quit!

I so agree!!

Were I single, suffice it to say I would not be typing this message right now unless I was at some library along some trail or the other.

John B
10-27-2009, 14:40
I so agree!!

Were I single, suffice it to say I would not be typing this message right now unless I was at some library along some trail or the other.

Seriously? You like wandering around on the trail so much that you'd quit everything but for being married?

I can take hiking in a couple of weeks increments, but that's enough for me.

Pootz
10-27-2009, 15:18

You think your annoyed with daily life now, wait until you return from the trail.

Enjoy all of the time in preparation for your hike. And enjoy every day on the trail. It was the best six months of my life and it will be the best for you also.

Jester2000
10-27-2009, 16:20
If you think you've got it bad, think about this: I work at an outfitter on the trail, which seems like it would be great. Except I spent the summer listening to hikers talk about all the fun they were having.

And then they hiked on, while I stayed in town working.

Mags
10-27-2009, 16:30
I love the daily grind....

http://www.coffeedrinkershut.com/images/coffee/grounds.jpg

Drinking it right now as I work on something (or should be)....

Sorry...wrong grind.

MintakaCat
10-27-2009, 18:02
I work, but it doesn’t seem like work because I enjoy my work. Hitting the trail does help bring a balance to my life though. The two seem to work together in a harmony that is hard to describe. I know I couldn’t work 100% of the time, but I also know that I couldn’t hike 100% of the time too.

I know that sounds odd, but that’s where I find myself in this stage of life.

Blissful
10-27-2009, 20:00
I work, but it doesn’t seem like work because I enjoy my work. Hitting the trail does help bring a balance to my life though. The two seem to work together in a harmony that is hard to describe. I know I couldn’t work 100% of the time, but I also know that I couldn’t hike 100% of the time too.

I know that sounds odd, but that’s where I find myself in this stage of life.

This is very logical.

Holy Smoke
11-01-2009, 17:22

Dude I feel the same way... That's why I'm starting 2nd week of february. Leave a lil earlier... See ya:sun

TroutEhCuss
11-04-2009, 17:14
There is a saying, "the more things change, the more they stay the same." The sense of adventure, "freedom", and maybe even glamour usually calls people, but rarely matches up with the reality.

Women, the kids, the dog, and even the structure... are all blessings. Look at the people whose worlds were torn apart by 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, as examples. No matter if your on the trail or on the job -the cliche "take one day at a time" is still relevant.

But, ooohhhhh yeah, the stir crazy in my head from thinking about the AT... can drive yah... crazy? LOL