PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Gap to Hwy 91 at Shady Valley

Silver Bear
09-01-2009, 14:27
I am planning to hike this section starting 9/23 & ending 10/3.

The attached Excel file is my tentative schedule.

Erwing looks a good resupply, but it is only 2 days out. Is there a resupply half way? Or should I plan on starting with 10 days food? I don't want that much to start, but I may have to handle it.

I am in pretty good shape, hiking in the Smoky's 2 to 3 times a month.

Any advice will be apperciated. Last fall I did Davenport Gap to Sam's gap.

DAKS
09-01-2009, 14:33
resupply at US 19E or US 321?

Tennessee Viking
09-01-2009, 15:08
Low Gap is a good campsite. But if you have time, try to hit up to the top of Big Bald. Bald Mtn Shelter and another large campsite not far after the top.

But if you start early enough, you can more than likely make it to Erwin from Big Bald, and stay at Johnny's. From Spivey Gap to Erwin, its mostly downhill.

Be sure not to miss Mountaineer Falls Shelter in between Elk River and Walnut Mtn Road

As for re-supply, not sure when CeeCee at GCF goes into town. But there is a small gas station in Buladeen. Just ignore any GCF closed signs from Iron Mtn gap to Hughes Gap.

You can probably make it to 19E to Mtn Harbour B&B. There is a new market in Roan and a couple gas stations. I would check with them to see when Mtn Harbor runs into town for hikers.

Bob Peoples at Kincora in Dennis Cove will take you into town. He usually drops hikers off at Browns, Ingles, or WalMart. Then if you take the Blue Blaze into Hampton, you can stay at Braemar Castle. The owners also run the local Brown's grocery.

Gray Blazer
09-01-2009, 19:19
Looks like the Viking covered it all. Once again Viking.....Brilliant!!:sun

Gray Blazer
09-01-2009, 19:25
You can prolly call ahead to Connie at Greasy Creek to see about resupply. She has a few things there. Her car was being worked on a month ago. Tell her Gray Blazer said hello.

Kerosene
09-01-2009, 22:51
You can send a package to Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel, just a third of a mile left at US-19E (on the right side of the road).

I'd also encourage you to try to stay at Kincora Hostel, which you could reach on the 30th. He might allow you to mail a package there also.

gravy4601
09-01-2009, 23:10
i would avoid shady valley last time i was there i was harassed by the cops for hitchhiking after i stoped and bought some things from all three stors the cop also said they reported me to be lodering i was only in town maybe a half hour so i dont think i was lordering

Tennessee Viking
09-01-2009, 23:21
i would avoid shady valley last time i was there i was harassed by the cops for hitchhiking after i stoped and bought some things from all three stors the cop also said they reported me to be lodering i was only in town maybe a half hour so i dont think i was lordering
Gravy were those state troopers or county deputies. I know some of the troopers in the county. Not a lot of the troopers know there is a trail up on the mountain.

Skunk Ape
09-02-2009, 04:02
Gravy were those state troopers or county deputies. I know some of the troopers in the county. Not a lot of the troopers know there is a trail up on the mountain.
Thats strange, ive seen a lot of hikers come through but ive never seen one hassled. Those troopers are in Shady because of the constant complaints by residents of reckless motorcycles [well founded, story for another post] Could be you got a trooper from out of town, or you were particularly bummy looking that day

gravy4601
09-02-2009, 23:57
not sure but he was a real dick about it i ended up finding as ride back to the trail and ther was also a geo cash box south of the road with some cool stuf in it it was in a hollow tree might still be there keep your eyes open

gravy4601
09-03-2009, 00:02
Thats strange, ive seen a lot of hikers come through but ive never seen one hassled. Those troopers are in Shady because of the constant complaints by residents of reckless motorcycles [well founded, story for another post] Could be you got a trooper from out of town, or you were particularly bummy looking that day

maybe but i started in damascus so i was only on the trail a few days dont think my beard was that long lol

Tennessee Viking
09-03-2009, 00:41
maybe but i started in damascus so i was only on the trail a few days dont think my beard was that long lolNext time I see some of the troopers in that area, I will pass along to not to bug the hikers. There is really no reason to bug hikers since we are moving along and not pan handling.

gravy4601
09-03-2009, 23:18
thats cool but i think i will just stay out of the shady valey area and by the way that's a good pic by the grinstaf memorial

Cabin Fever
09-04-2009, 07:09
thats cool but i think i will just stay out of the shady valey area and by the way that's a good pic by the grinstaf memorial

One time incident. No need to stop in Shady Valley anyways with Damascus one day away.

sparky2009
10-30-2009, 12:37
I agree with Cabin Fever. Really no need to stop whether your NOBO or SOBO. I personally know the state trooper major for our area. I'll pass the info along to him so that he can try to educate the troopers about the trail.