PDA

View Full Version : A good camera to hike with?

Bidwell
09-02-2009, 14:02
As I dropped my camera along the AT in NJ during a thunderstorm, I am in the market for a new camera. I am hoping for a camera that takes pictures (duh) and maybe a camera that takes good videos. Any folks have some good recommendations? Something that doesn't take up too much space.

Thanks!

toegem
09-02-2009, 14:18
I like the Olympus line they offer them in a waterproof camera at 10 mega pixels http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1445

jersey joe
09-02-2009, 14:31
I've always liked the canon elf series...not waterproof, but durable.

fredmugs
09-02-2009, 14:50
I have a Nikon Coolpix S560 and I highly recommend it for size, weight, and picture quality but can't really comment on the video features. Here's a link to a comprehensive review:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3870

sheepdog
09-02-2009, 15:42
What ever camera you buy check out Best Buy. They have a no matter what guarntee that you can buy. Drop it in a creek? if you can get the camera back they will replace it or fix it. Hard to beat that.

dmax
09-02-2009, 15:43
That is a good deal!!!

ChinMusic
09-02-2009, 16:12
What ever camera you buy check out Best Buy. They have a no matter what guarntee that you can buy. Drop it in a creek? if you can get the camera back they will replace it or fix it. Hard to beat that.
Best Buy must be betting not many of their customers backpack......:D

sheepdog
09-02-2009, 16:21
Best Buy must be betting not many of their customers backpack......:D
I bought my camera two years ago. I thought sure I would have wrecked it by now. Still going strong with lots of miles and rain storms behind it. (Cannon Power shot A610)

Yukon
09-02-2009, 16:27
Panasonic Lumix TZ-4 all the way, you won't be disappointed...

ChinMusic
09-02-2009, 16:31
I bought my camera two years ago. I thought sure I would have wrecked it by now. Still going strong with lots of miles and rain storms behind it. (Cannon Power shot A610)
I have two different cameras depending on the trip.

If the trip will be difficult and less scenic, I just bring a simple Canon Powershot, that takes decent pics and video.

If I consider the trip to be a "photo trip" I take my Canon Mark IIN (I'm a sports shooter by hobby). 8 frames a second only comes in handy if an eagle flies by......:D

The Mark IIN is a freaking brick though and I'm considering getting a Canon 5D Mark II to replace it. The 5D shoots high def video as well.

Bidwell
09-02-2009, 16:38
I leave for a short lunchtime run and I come back to find 8 responses... y'all are great! My office is adjacent to a Best Buy... I'll check it out.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

acronym
09-03-2009, 09:57
I have (had) a small nikon (S220). Terrible, terrible camera. Unfortunately I read the consumer reviews after I bought it. Picture quality is poor - as most of the reviewer on cnet confirmed.

Also, it fogged up terribly about 80% of the time.

I've gone back to my small Canon 5mp, after apologizing to it for going after something younger...

Tennessee Viking
09-03-2009, 10:08
I had a couple Fuji's for a bit. A210 was not compatiable with water. Just remember that when doing creekside photos. Lost my second Fuji, A500. I had a lot of great pictures off that one.

I am now on the Canon ELPH SD790IS . A little fancy, but very advanced for a point and shoot. Panoramic stitching, color accent&swap, countious shots, and multiple shooting modes.

Heard Canon's D10 is shock, water, and freeze-proof had some good reviews. But it looks like a kids camera.

Spokes
09-03-2009, 10:19
Most compact digital cameras today provide spectacular image quality. You may want to consider a model that takes 2- AA batteries instead of being tied down to recharge a proprietary camera battery.

There's nothing worse than having a dead battery when a great picture op presents itself. Better to have an extra set of fresh batteries stowed away than having to look for an electric outlet...........

-Spokes

ps: For all the ultralighters out there who's gonna bash the thought of carrying extra batteries- it's what I consider 'good' weight".

JaxHiker
09-03-2009, 10:19
My very expensive Olympus 850SW is a worthless piece of dung that takes crappy pictures. I much prefer my Canon 590is.

David@whiteblaze
09-03-2009, 12:18
make sure that if u buy a digital, it has a optical viewfinder. if not, u will need 5000 or so batteries to take 1000 or so pics.

gearfreak
09-03-2009, 12:34
I picked up a relatively inexpensive ($100?) Sanyo VPC-E760 at Walmart a couple of years ago. It would meet your needs and weighs just 5.5 oz. :cool:

Mauby
09-03-2009, 16:08
I've always liked the canon elf series...not waterproof, but durable.

I second this...though I think they're all rechargeable & not AA batteries...but I could be wrong.

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 16:18
I like the Olympus line they offer them in a waterproof camera at 10 mega pixels http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1445

I like the Olympus cameras. Unlike Jax, I have great photos taken with my 850SW, though we may admittedly differ on what constitutes "great." All I know is, people who see my photos can't believe they were taken with my camera.

Considering what you did to your previous camera, the waterproof and shockproof characteristics of the Olympus line might be what you want. Great video as well -- my only criticism is that the optical zoom is only 3X.

brotheral
09-03-2009, 16:26
I have a Canon A610 too. Bought it as my 1st digital camera. Figured I'd get an idea how it all worked then upgrade. Funny, I still have it and the pictures are great... Takes video too...
I'm sure there are many smaller cameras...., but I sure have been pleased with my A610 :D

Bulldawg
09-03-2009, 17:18
I like the Olympus cameras. Unlike Jax, I have great photos taken with my 850SW, though we may admittedly differ on what constitutes "great." All I know is, people who see my photos can't believe they were taken with my camera.

Considering what you did to your previous camera, the waterproof and shockproof characteristics of the Olympus line might be what you want. Great video as well -- my only criticism is that the optical zoom is only 3X.

I have the 1030SW and I am going to say ditto to what Jester says here. Damn fine hiking camera. Not the best camera if it's the only one you have. But possibly the best "HIKING" camera out there IMO. My only issue as well is the zoom level. But if you're taking landscape shots from the top of a mountain, how much zoom do you really need?

Rain Man
09-03-2009, 18:10

I think I'll second the Lumix. I've taken Nikon Coolpix's on the trail and also a couple of Canons. I do not like that the Lumix has a proprietary battery, but it seems to last forever. I also don't like that it doesn't have a viewfinder. Oh well.

It DOES have an exceptional lens and 12x optical zoom and 25mm wide angle. I've been very impressed with it so far. I have the ZS1.

Rain:sunMan

sheepdog
09-04-2009, 08:48
I have a Canon A610 too. Bought it as my 1st digital camera. Figured I'd get an idea how it all worked then upgrade. Funny, I still have it and the pictures are great... Takes video too...
I'm sure there are many smaller cameras...., but I sure have been pleased with my A610 :D
I sure have been happy with mine. It has a glass lense that is supposed to give better color reproduction. I've posted a few of my pics in my gallery.

Lyle
09-04-2009, 09:12
I will add my cautionary statement about Olympus. I have one, I still use it for backpacking (it's my smallest/lightest option) but I always debate with myself about taking a better camera. I have the Stylus 600 (several years out of production). My biggest complaint is that the focus is very hit or miss. While I won't claim to have the steadiest hand out there, about 1/3 of the photos turn out with less than good focus, let alone excellent. This happens even when using a tripod or other physical support.

I don't have this same problem with any of my other cameras, FinePix S700 (GREAT camera, not compact), Cannon A590IS, or, of course Nikon D40 (Best compact DSLR out there for my money. Also the only one I've owned :D, but it compares to my film SLRs.).

This is the only Olympus that I've owned, but not terribly impressed. It can and does take some nice photos, but not consistently in my experience.

Jester2000
09-04-2009, 11:27
. . .My biggest complaint is that the focus is very hit or miss. . .

Keep in mind that Lyle is usually incredibly drunk when he takes photos.

Lyle
09-04-2009, 15:41
Keep in mind that Lyle is usually incredibly drunk when he takes photos.

Not usually, but even if I were, that wouldn't explain the tripod shots.:D

Bidwell
09-21-2009, 16:58
All,

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I decided to go with a camera with double-A batteries, a camera that could take videos, and decent pictures and of course that was lightweight. I went with the Nikon CoolPix L20... cost about $180 with the camera case and 8gb card. Took it to Sequoia National Park over the weekend for a 3 day backpacking trip. It's awesome to say the least... I love it so far. Here are the pics if you're interested:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2207334&id=12800713&l=93d6d29f1a

Thanks again for the assistance. There is a wealth of knowledge on WB.

- Greg

Doooglas
10-06-2009, 10:27

I'll third on the Olympus. I put mine through extremes. It's about a 5 year old Stylus 800.
Here's some pics. www.oasisofthetoucans.com.
Naturally they are reduced to be web friendly.

ShelterLeopard
10-06-2009, 10:44
I like the canon powershot series, small camera and good photo quality.

Ladytrekker
10-06-2009, 12:59
I have a small olympus that is waterproof and droppable at 5 ft. I dropped my last camera so many times the lens would not retract and had a ton of dents. Think I semi flipped my kayak and that was the end of the cameral. So, I bought one that can get wet and get dropped. Takes decent photos.

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2009, 13:08
Panasonic does sell a good camera. I used a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 with very good results. Check out my gallery, all pics from that camera.

buz
10-06-2009, 15:34
Use lithium batts, well worth the initial purchase price, and I would advise always carrying a spare card in a tiny ziplock as well. The cards can fail, and may do so at a very inappropriate time. If you shoot video, they can really get eaten up, space wise. I also carry spare batts, just in case. Well, in the case that is, along with the spare card. I like the case as well for an accessory.

Also, if you always use the strap, everytime, you will be happy, because you will fumble eventually, and the strap will save your camera from the granite, mud, or worst case, water. Just get used to it. If the camera is out, strap is engaged. I make people taking pictures of me use it. Had one fumble that way, strap saved the day.

Doooglas
10-07-2009, 06:17
I have a small olympus that is waterproof and droppable at 5 ft. I dropped my last camera so many times the lens would not retract and had a ton of dents. Think I semi flipped my kayak and that was the end of the cameral. So, I bought one that can get wet and get dropped. Takes decent photos.

Floridians. Holding a camera or voting. Mui dificil !:D:D:D

wrongway_08
10-07-2009, 15:35
Canon Powershot.
- Double a's for battery
- Good photos
- Takes abuse - water/drops/freeze
- Good movies
- download/play back works with both movies and photos on every labtop/computer I have treid so far. (not so with my Nikkon (sp?) or Kodak cameras)
- Not that much $$ compared to my other cameras.
- Have not tried the top of the line model - the stores didnt have it in stock, so I went with the next down from the top of the line - pretty sure it was the 590 power shot.

mudhead
10-08-2009, 08:41
I know I need more camera, wish I had spent more and had gotten more optical zoom.

I bought a CoolPix as a gift last year. First thing I noticed was the storage card and batteries were under the same access door. Not certain I like that.

Anyone else go thru moods/phases where you shoot everything, and then the next day nothing?

Powder River
10-12-2009, 23:13
Canon S90. Just came out- has the best quality sensor in Canon's entire powershot lineup. Early reviews indicate that Canons claim of two stops of noise improvement over the G10 are true. Meaning that a picture you take at iso 800 on the s90 will have as much noise as a shot at iso 200 from the G10 (which is no slouch). There is also a full stop of additional dynamic range, which is probably the single most important improvement for scenic shots.

I just got one and love it. It is about the size of an elph camera only with a larger lens. It is also the easiest point and shoot to adjust settings on I have ever seen, because of the large control ring in the front plus the small one in the back. I would actually say it has better controls than half of the DSLRs out there. Any of the low end dslrs such as the rebel series only have one dial. This thing is a joy to use!

Add to all of this the f/2.0 lens (a VERY fast lens for a compact) and I don't know what can possibly beat it for hiking use. It weighs only about six ounces, and extra batteries weigh almost nothing.