PDA

View Full Version : Any partners out there? 2010 thru-hike

usmcvet51
09-02-2009, 14:10
second try at posting and did the caps lock thing, thanks for the help. I would like to start in early March. It would be nice to plan with someone working and keeping each other focoused on a common course. With someone else involved it's easier not to lose interest and motivation. Also comparing each others list, and checking with eachother, before making a final dissicion on buying equipment, food drops, or miles per day makes it more thought out and reviewed. Kind of a second opinion. Would like to hear from anyone interested.thanks:cool:

SawnieRobertson
09-03-2009, 09:50
second try at posting and did the caps lock thing, thanks for the help. I would like to start in early March. It would be nice to plan with someone working and keeping each other focoused on a common course. With someone else involved it's easier not to lose interest and motivation. Also comparing each others list, and checking with eachother, before making a final dissicion on buying equipment, food drops, or miles per day makes it more thought out and reviewed. Kind of a second opinion. Would like to hear from anyone interested.thanks:cool:

I'm in. And, yes, it is important to keep "the eye on the prize" as we prepare to leave the ease of being able to reach out and get whatever we need whenever we think we want it. I have most of my gear but am looking for any lighter, better replacements that I can make.

So what are you making decisions about right now?--Kinnickinic

usmcvet51
09-03-2009, 14:08
happy to hear from you. I just rented a laptop and finally got on line. I'll talk more in a short.Going down the park,walking of course, perfect day today,it's beautiful outside.I hate the indoors myself.be back in a short,thanks

expat2005
09-04-2009, 00:15
:welcomeEmail [email protected] if interested in developing a 3-4 (preferably) military vet team close to my age - 61 by the time we hit the trail :sun for NOBO T thru hike starting early 04/10 http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif

bonbon49
09-30-2009, 18:39
looking for a partners for 2010 hike thur

Over The Hill
01-25-2010, 13:03
I am looking for possible NOBO trail partners also. Right now thinking of soloing it, but I know it would be much better and easier to have a companion or 2. Helps having someone setting up camp while the other filters water/starts stove, etc. And having someone to get the Lyme diseased "tick" off the middle of your back is nice also. :D
I want to kick off in late April, early May.

drifters quest
01-25-2010, 15:41
I will be heading out solo but hoping i'll meet someone along the way that I might be able to hike with for a while.

Praha4
01-26-2010, 00:02
I'm an Army vet, age 55, also looking at starting a NOBO thru hike starting sometime in March or very early April. My preference is to get started in March, no specific date yet. I've already got all my gear, the idea of a small group starting out together is a good idea for motiviation and other support. I'm likely going to drive up from NW Florida and leave my car at Amicalola Falls State Park visitor center long term parking lot, hike the approach trail the first day. Let me know if a group is leaving around that time, my schedule is flexible, just waiting for 6 months straight of nice, sunny weather from GA to Maine. (yeah rite)

coheterojo
01-26-2010, 07:27
It seems to me, from all I've read here and elsewhere, that you're better off finding your partner during the hike rather than before the hike. There is no way of knowing if your hiking speeds, goals, likes/dislikes, etc will match up until after the rubber hits the road.

Just start hiking.

El Flaco

Tuney
01-26-2010, 10:07
It seems to me, from all I've read here and elsewhere, that you're better off finding your partner during the hike rather than before the hike. There is no way of knowing if your hiking speeds, goals, likes/dislikes, etc will match up until after the rubber hits the road.

Just start hiking.

El Flaco

That's the best advice I've been hearing however, the door is always open. I've been singularly unsuccessful in the last year at finding anyone among my friends and associates who has the flexibility and time to drop everything and go for a 3 or 4 day shakedown hike, let alone a 6 month sojourn in the woods.

Over The Hill
01-26-2010, 11:29
Its true, usually you end up hiking with a few people met on the Trail though maybe not with them the whole day. You may all walk slightly different speeds and take breaks at different times but you will usually end up at the same Shelters each night. So in a sense, you have group.

Over The Hill
01-26-2010, 18:55
Idea: even if we do not hook up here, and start it Solo there is no reason we can't compare gear and help each other plan things here. Kind of a "Solo Corner"

wudhipy
01-26-2010, 19:36
I'm starting in early March (so far) I have all my gear and it weighs less than what the Army issued me. Now I'm busy trying to get my drops arranged/dried/gathered/hopefully not lost/ keep the cat out of them. I'm not gonna pressure anyone into hiking with me I guess, all i ask is when you pass me try not to bump me over lol. Gonna hike my own hike, and, if that happens to be the same pace as someone else for a while then sweet. Hope to see everyone smiling on the trail.;)

Tuney
01-26-2010, 22:20
Idea: even if we do not hook up here, and start it Solo there is no reason we can't compare gear and help each other plan things here. Kind of a "Solo Corner"

This is a great place to ask and answer questions. I'm maintaining my journal at http://trailjournals.com/tuney I'm tracking all my preparation efforts, and gear experiments. Some of which prove what I'm not going to take along. Better to sort it out now than in the 100 Mile Wilderness.

gipcgirl
01-27-2010, 01:29

If you are over the hill at age 48. What am I at age 60??????
Nobo 19th march 2010
happy hiker
gipcgirl

Over The Hill
01-27-2010, 12:32
Over The Hill is where I am walking to, where I'll be, where it seems the next town always is, where the next shelter always is, etc. And a small nod to my age. :)

Over The Hill
01-27-2010, 12:36
Quick q: Anyone actually buying all the AT guides for each section or just getting maps and using the Thru Hikers Companion?
I have the VT/NH one, and the book is very well done, the Maine one not so well done, makes me wonder if just the MAP's are needed.
Have they fixed the Pa. books/maps? I know they used to be very inaccurate.

AzWildflower
01-27-2010, 21:45
Over the Hill -

I have the maps and guides. I was disappointed in the Maine guide also. However the Maine maps appear to be very well done. I will be using the maps along with cut up sections of the Thru Hiker Companion.