PDA

View Full Version : Snack availability at the Huts

Yahtzee
09-02-2009, 16:28
Any one with recent experience in the Whites know if they still have snacks for sale at the huts? I know Mt Washington has some but was wondering about Mizpah and Madison Springs. Living large at Lakes of the Clouds so I won't need them there.

Thanks in advance.

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 16:36
Different hut, but I was at Galehead last month. They had soup and lemonade around mid-day. Don't recall seeing anything else to eat.

Rockhound
09-02-2009, 17:38
Occasionally they will have some baked goods for sale or soup etc...sometimes some free breakfast leftovers also but I would not rely on it. If you are fortunate enough to get a work for stay you get fed really well but I would not rely on that either although it is starting to slow down a bit so you should have some luck. Also you can get food at most of the notches.

Cookerhiker
09-02-2009, 17:40
I stayed in huts in the Franconia region (Greenleaf, Galehead, Zealand) in early August so I can't answer you exactly about Mizpah & Madison. At all 3 huts where I stayed, snacks - candy bars and granola bars - were for sale. 2 of them also had baked goods - brownies and blueberry crumb cakes.

Yahtzee
09-02-2009, 18:04
Thanks. My memories is that they all had a few snacks available for purchase. And if memory recalls, Mizpah and Madison had goodies. Not really counting on it, but just wondering.

Blissful
09-02-2009, 18:50
You usually have to get there early in the day to snag the baked goods.

Tin Man
09-02-2009, 19:12
You usually have to get there early in the day to snag the baked goods.

but the soup is ready around noon :)

garlic08
09-02-2009, 21:49
Every hut I stopped at during the day on my thru all had either baked goods or soup or both, sometimes some leftovers from breakfast or too much fresh stuff that would go bad (many pounds of Gouda cheese, for example). The LOC had huge bowls of green scrambled eggs, the victim of a raid, that the finicky city guests would not eat, so I ate a couple dozen eggs. All in all, lots of food for very little cost. But they all reminded me not to rely on it and I didn't.

Kerosene
09-02-2009, 23:41
I recall that each Hut we passed (Lonesome Lake, Galehead, Zealand, Mizpah, LOTC, Madison) had a limited supply of snacks, mostly of the candy bar variety. Plus you can get stuff at the cafeteria atop Mt. Washington and in Pinkham Notch. Availability of baked goods was spotty, but every hut we passed in the afternoon had some amazing soup.