PDA

View Full Version : Trails near Asheville, NC

scburleson2003
07-27-2004, 01:19
My friend will be making a trip to NC this weekend and was generous enough to offer me a ride up there to go backpacking for about a week. So, naturally I wanted to avoid making him drive too far out of the way for me. So I would appreciate any suggestions of the closest places to be dropped off and/or picked up from around the Ashville area. I was considering the Pisgah forest area around <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:City w:st=Asheville</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st=" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Cold</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Mountain</st1:PlaceType> starting from Camp Daniel Boone. If anyone has any suggestions and now approximately how far out of the way various trails are from <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pAsheville</ST1:p</st1:City> your advice would be much appreciated.

MOWGLI
07-27-2004, 07:05
Yup, while you are in Asheville, I'll be in Birmingham, Alabama. Frankly, I'd rather be in Asheville hiking. No disrespect to Birmingham. It's a nice city.

The Pisgah National Forest in the area of Cold Mountain and Shining Rock is great. Unlike the Appalachian Trail, the trails are poorly signed and barely blazed in places. You'll need a good map and a compass, and know how to use them. The Art Loeb Trail is in that area, and so are segments of the Mountainns to Sea Trail. You could easily wander around on a variety of trails for 5-6 days.

The Carolina Mountain Club website has a link to hikes along the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can visit the CMC websiite at the following link;

http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/

Good luck. Let us know how the hike goes.

Youngblood
07-27-2004, 08:34
If you go to that area for a week, there is something neat you might consider doing. That is peak bagging up to 10 of the Southern 6000 footers. If you go to the link that Mowgli16 provided and check out the SOUTH BEYOND 6000! tab, the area you would be in is the Great Balsams. I know it is a little off the wall, but it might make it more enjoyable for you if you like that sort of thing. Anyway, I have only been to that area one time and it is beautiful.

Youngblood

PS. There is a book called "The Southern Sixers" by Ron Tagliapietra that is basically a guidebook for peak bagging.

Groucho
07-27-2004, 08:36
You can intercept trails in the Pisgah from several locations on the BRP between Balsam and Asheville. You do need a map and compass.

If your friends took the scenic route from Birm, they could let you off without backtracking. You would also avoid Atlanta, or Knoxville, depending on route you would have taken. Take 64 byp N of Chattanooga and continue towards Wesser. This road goes through two 2-lane stretches; one near the Ocoee and the other at the Nantahala, but it isn't bad. By taking the BRP at Balsam, NC you can avoid backtracking from Asheville to the Pisgah. Yahoo gives 2 hr for the 77 mi from Wesser to Asheville (non BRP route); it doesn't take nearly that long. It would take about that long if you took the BRP.

scburleson2003
07-27-2004, 16:09
Thanks for the advice, I agree that the Art Lobe Trail does look the best right now; are there any other trails that I might need to consider, or is the Art Lobe the most logical place to hike?

Chip
07-27-2004, 19:13
Pisgah is great with the Art Lobe Trail, Shining Rock or Middle Prong Wilderness areas. If you go north on the Blue Ridge Parkway (approx. 40 minutes) you will find Mount Mitchell State Park. Mt. Mitchell is the highest peak east of the Mississippi River. Check the Carolina Mtn. Club web site for more info. There are some great trails there. This area will remind you of the backcountry found in Canada.

Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

scburleson2003
08-01-2004, 02:10
out of all my options, what would the absolute most convienent in terms of driving for my friend? Oh yeah, fyi it has been moved to wend. so i have 3 more days.

Chip
08-01-2004, 19:12
The miles and minutes in either direction ( Pisgah or Mt. Mitchell ) are close, give or take. Did you get the chance to check out the CMC web site ? Maybe check out the Blue Ridge Parkway web site since you can pick up the parkway just south of Asheville and drive south to Pisgah or North to Mitchell. Anyhow the distance and time either way is equall for me. The only two advantages I can think of right now for this time of year are bugs and temperature. There will be less bugs and cooler temps (especially at night) at Mt. Mitchell State Park. Remember the elevation range 4,000 to 6,684 top of Mitchell. If you go there you will need to check-in with the ranger. They close the gates at night. ALSO there will be less people. If hiking solo and you want space this would be the place. If not then Pisgah would have more people on the trails (if you need help). It is really up to you and your friend, for exact miles try
MapQuest.com. From downtown Asheville to Mt. Mitchell via the Blue Ridge Parkway. From Asheville to Pisgah Ranger Station there are several ways to go, MapQuest should pick out the best route. Either place is a great place for a backpack !!

Best of Luck! :)
Chip

Chip
08-01-2004, 19:20
The web site is:

[email protected]

;)

scburleson2003
08-03-2004, 02:22
Thanks everyone for all of the advice i will be heading out in two days and i will make sure to let everyone know how it went. Based on info I gathered i have decided to hike the MTS trail, starting point is still in question but I know im going to end at Mt. Mitchell. I have decided this because i have already hiked the majority of the Shining Rock wilderness area but have never hiked in the Mt. Mitchell area. Once again I thank you all for your advice which has been invaluable in my planning. But, i do have one more question before I leave...after visiting all the "Outdoor Stores" in Birmingham (including the only good one Urban Outpost) I have not been able to find a good map or book on the trail. If anyone knows of any map or book on the web i would appreciate it; as of now all i have is the map provided by http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/trails/m2c/home.html. If not I think i will just get one when I get into North Carolina at a bookstore. Once again thank you for all of your suggestions and help.

Chip
08-03-2004, 20:13
scburleson,

Great to read that you are going to do the MTS trail. A book that might interest you is an 80 page paper back called "Trail Profiles, The Mountain to Sea Trail".
This covers from Beech Gap to the Black Mountain Campground. This was written by Walt Weber for the Carolina Mountain Club. As a member of CMC I just happen to have a few of these books to sell (fund raiser). I will send you an e-mail with details. So be looking for it asap !

Happy Trails,
Chip :)

NotYet
08-03-2004, 20:44
Hi scburleson2003,

I guess I'm too late on this post, but I hope you have a great trip while you're here. As you plan your hike, be aware that much of the MST is on Parkway land. This means there are long stretches trail where no camping is allowed; so plan carefully!

If you ever get back this way, one hike that covers most of the Black Mountain Ridge is to hike the Big Butt Trail to Balsam Gap, take MST north to Mount Mitchell, then follow the Black Mountain Crest Trail. It's very strenuous and the stopping and ending points are a bit out of the way...but what a hike!

While you're in town you might want to pick up the Trails Illustrated "Pisgah Ranger District" topo map, the USDA Forest Service "South Toe River, Mount Mitchell & Big Ivy Trail Maps" and the USDA Forest Service "Linville Gorge Wilderness" map to plan future hikes ...All of these areas are within an hour or two of Asheville and the network of trails in the area is amazing!
:clap
Have a great trip!

scburleson2003
08-12-2004, 08:20
Im back home and I will let everyone know how the trip went later on today.

sgtjinx
08-12-2004, 11:28
For a nice day hike. I would do the Palmetto Trail. Here is the link to it.
www.sctrails.net/trails/ALLTRAILS/PalmettoTrl.html (http://www.sctrails.net/trails/ALLTRAILS/PalmettoTrl.html)

max patch
08-12-2004, 12:13
Anyone know the name of the privately owned hike for a fee mountain south of ashville? Its a well known tourist destination; even has an elevator that goes to the top.

Groucho
08-12-2004, 13:40
Anyone know the name of the privately owned hike for a fee mountain south of ashville? Its a well known tourist destination; even has an elevator that goes to the top.

Chimney Rock Park.

Chip
08-12-2004, 20:04
Chimney Rock Park, head southeast on Hwy. 74 from Asheville, nice drive or East on Hwy.64 from Hendersonville, NC. Great views from the top of the rock and from the trails. :)

scburleson2003
08-15-2004, 21:40
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=54822#post54822, here is my trip report