PDA

View Full Version : Wayah Road

Tennessee Viking
09-02-2009, 16:59
What is Wayah Road like from US19/Nantalhala Gorge side? We talking graded and low clearance, or curvy and high clearance.

And how long does it take to get to Wayah Bald and the trail from US19?

Gray Blazer
09-02-2009, 17:57
Is it Wayah Road where you turn by the Nantahala River off of 19? That's a nice paved road with not a steep grade or too curvy. I'm guessing it's 20 or 30 miles to Wayah Gap and when you get to the stop sign below Wayah Gap you turn left to get to 64 and Franklin. There are turnoffs for Tellico Gap, Burningtown Gap and Wayah Bald. They are all marked. All those roads are well maintained and not too steep.

It would prolly take you less than an hour to get to Wayah Bald and the trail from 19. There is a bathroom and picnic tables up there (bring your own TP) No water.

I can't believe I'm giving info to the Viking. Thanks for all your good tips on the other side of NC/TN.

Ron Haven will prolly chime in with some more info.

One time I ran out of gas on my way up to BurningTown and I was able to coast all the way to 19 and then hitch 2 miles for the gas.

Gray Blazer
09-02-2009, 17:58
PS High clearance unless recently washed out.

Gray Blazer
09-02-2009, 18:00
Sorry....I'm dyslexic. When you get to the stop sign turn right to get to 64 and Franklin.

daddytwosticks
09-03-2009, 07:45
The road you inquire about is state maintained and paved. :)

Tennessee Viking
09-03-2009, 08:54
The road you inquire about is state maintained and paved. :)
Thanks only been to up to Deep Gap and Winding Stair Gap in that area.

I thought I might be heading to the Nantalhalas for Labor Day. Looks like now I will be in the Blue Ridge around Boone. Looks like I am dragging my GF on my MST now.

BobTheBuilder
09-03-2009, 09:27
I didn't know about the road when I hiked that section, so I was pretty pleasantly surprised when I popped out of the woods near the top of Wayah and found a paved walkway (and garbage cans!) leading to the top. Apparently alot of motorcyclists rode up there because I could hear all sorts of bikes on the nearby road and in the parking area. The funny thing was that not a sole from the parking area made the walk to the observation tower. I stopped for a half hour and ate my lunch up there, enjoying the beautiful view, and was completely alone.

I guess it always amazes me how few people will walk 100 yards if it is uphill. I mean, they drove all the way up there and then stayed in the parking lot?

Gray Blazer
09-03-2009, 10:28
Nice picnic area up there on Wayah. We camped there for 4 days/3 nights. Here is one of the sunrise views. In the middle of the pic, you can see the shoulder of a mountain way off. That is Big Butt, 51 miles away from Wayah Bald. About 180 AT miles.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/leaf_pics_412.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28917&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

mister krabs
09-03-2009, 10:36
When I was last on Wayah bald, there was a truck pulling a boat that came through the parking lot. That tells you how good the road is.

Cabin Fever
09-03-2009, 10:39
Nice picnic area up there on Wayah. We camped there for 4 days/3 nights. Here is one of the sunrise views. In the middle of the pic, you can see the shoulder of a mountain way off. That is Big Butt, 51 miles away from Wayah Bald. About 180 AT miles.

Phenomenal pic, thanks for sharing.

Kerosene
09-03-2009, 11:58
Great picture. There are several superior pictures on WB taken from Wayah Bald. I just hope that it's a nice day when I walk through in a few years!