PDA

View Full Version : Baxter Peak - trail options?

jkeith
09-02-2009, 18:59
I'm planning to hike to Chimney Pond from Roaring Brook, staying the night at Chimney Pond with a next day summit to Baxter Peak. (yes I have reservations)

My question is...what is the best (not easiest) route to take to Baxter Peak from Chimney Pond with the goal of ending up back at Roaring Brook?

emerald
09-02-2009, 20:20
Roaring Brook Campground < Helon Taylor Trail < Pamola < Knife Edge Trail < Baxter Peak ...

Beyond Baxter Peak there is more than one alternative and it's where any differences of opinion will arise. We've had a number of discussions before you could locate with the search feature and read until more is posted.

A map is available on BSP's website, but it appears to lack trail names even when enlarged unless I didn't enlarge it enough.

weary
09-03-2009, 11:26
Roaring Brook Campground < Helon Taylor Trail < Pamola < Knife Edge Trail < Baxter Peak ...

Beyond Baxter Peak there is more than one alternative and it's where any differences of opinion will arise. We've had a number of discussions before which might be located with the search feature.

A map is available on BSP's website, but it appears to lack trail names even when enlarged unless I didn't enlarge it enough.
The question was how best to get to Baxter Peak from Chimney Pond. The Helon (pronounced He Lon) Taylor trail starts at Roaring Brook and totally bypasses Chimney Pond.

However, there is no "best" trail in my opinion. It depends on conditions, especially the weather. If it's bright and sunny and I have plenty of time, I take Hamlin Ridge with it's long exposed traverse of the Katahdin tablelands, or the Dudley Trail with its challenging traverse of the Knife Edge.

In cloudy, rainy and so so weather, I always use the Saddle Trail. If I'm in a rush, but still want a challenging climb, I take the Cathedral Trail.

All are excellent walks. Each has its minor advantages. All should be explored at some point if time and distances from Maine don't intrude.

All leave from Chimney Pond, which incidentally is the prettiest backpacking campsite in the east that I've seen and I've seen quite a few over the decades.

Weary

emerald
09-03-2009, 11:45
My question is...what is the best (not easiest) route to take to Baxter Peak from Chimney Pond with the goal of ending up back at Roaring Brook?

Alternative A

Roaring Brook Campground < Helon N. Taylor Trail < Pamola < Knife Edge < Baxter Peak ...

< Cathedral or Saddle Trail < Chimney Pond Campground

Alternative B

Chimney Pond Campground > Dudley Trail > Pamola > Knife Edge > Baxter Peak > Cathedral, Saddle or Hamlin Ridge Trail > Chimney Pond Campground (pick up overnight gear) > Chimney Pond Trail > Roaring Brook Campground

Pedaling Fool
09-03-2009, 12:14
Here's some interesting info on the trails leading to Baxter Peak http://region.katahdincommons.com/index.php?title=Mount_Katahdin

Jah
09-03-2009, 14:48
As long as its a nice day the best route would be to go up dudley, go across knifes edge, and then go back down to chimney pond by the saddle trail.

Pedaling Fool
09-03-2009, 19:39
Here's some interesting info on the trails leading to Baxter Peak http://region.katahdincommons.com/index.php?title=Mount_Katahdin
Forgot to add a map for basic idea of what's what. Not the best map, but gives you an idea of which direction each trail goes.

peakbagger
09-08-2009, 14:23
Just to make sure, you are staying at Chimney the night before the hike and then carrying your backpack to Roaring Brook? IMHO then Cathedral up to the summit, Knifes Edge over to Pamola then Helon Taylor down. I have hiked the Knifes Edge a few times with a backpack and with the exception of the short stretch on the summit side of the Chimney, the backpack didnt get in the way. Obviously, if its windy, a backpack on Knifes Edge will tend to increase your "sail" area.

I cant recommend Dudley for a backpack as there are several boulder scrambles where a backpack may get in the way. Its also a very steep downhill. The one time is makes sense to do Dudley is if you want to do the Knifes edge and Hamlin ridge trail which connects up with the chimney pond trail below chimney pond. This adds a few miles of above treeline hiking and the Hamlin Ridge going down is quite spectacular on its own (some similarities to the knifes edge but feels far less exposed).

mudhead
09-08-2009, 16:38
Since I spent some time on the road to Edisto, I'll throw this out.

I would not go down Cathedral or Dudley. You could lug your pack with you, or be clever, and whip out the tiny daypack you brought with and hang your pack at Chimney Pond.

Then, go up Dudley, down Saddle, or if you have the leg left, over to Hamlin, down Hamlin, hang a ralph back to Chimney Pond and grab your pack. Then out the way you came in, to Roaring Brook. Good spring on the back of Hamlin.

Or do what Peakbagger said.

If it is wet, use good judgement, as Weary described.

jkeith
09-20-2009, 17:13
Thanks for all of the suggestions. We took Dudley/Pamola up, crossed Knifes Edge and went down Saddle Trail. It was a class I day and not a cloud in the sky...perfect day. We left Chimney Pond around 12pm and we were back at Chimney Pond before 6.