PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for Through Hikers...

Totally Different Subject
07-27-2004, 10:58
Good day:

I have moved down to Murfreesboro, TN from Oklahoma to begin preparing for a 2005 Northbound through-hike. Hiking the AT through has been a dream since I learned of the trail.

I have decided, based on advice offered in this forum, to purchase everything going into the pack prior to purchasing a pack. Also, I have decided to try and keep a lighter pack weight of 40 lbs or less. I will weigh approximately 170 lbs to begin the hike.

Q: I have heard the pro's/con's of synthetic vs. down for bags. And obviously prefer the lighter route. But is there a lightweight down bag that is built to thwart off wetness?

Q: What kind of stoves are being used efficiently and effectively along the hike? I have always used MSR stoves but would be willing to change.

Q: Is the extra weight of a sleeping pad worth it?

Q: I have decided to take a tent. Are there any suggestions? I have always bought Northface or REI tents but again am willing to go another route.

Thanks in advance for any response. Are there folks from the Nashville/ Murfreesboro, TN area planning for a 2005 Northbound through hike?

Jason

A-Train
07-27-2004, 11:19
Jason,
You've still got plenty of time before you leave. Sounds like you are ahead of the game, since you're familiar with gear, you just need to find the right match. I would recommend going to EMS or REI and renting gear. You can rent a tent, sleeping bag, pad etc. and see what makes you happy before blowing cash on stuff your gonna junk in Damascus for lighter stuff.

10 people might come on here and tell you you'd be an idiot to carry anything other than an alcohol stove and a 3/4 ridgerest or z-rest. But I also know of repeat thru-hikers on this site who would use nothing other than a Whisperlite. Every hiker will give you a different answer, so you need to mess around, do research, read reports, but most importantly, go out for a couple days and experiment. You can definately borrow gear. And I'm sure there is a group of alumni hikers in that area for sure.

Personally I would certainly go for a down bag on the AT. There were times when my bag got damp somehow, but still kept me warm all night. I believe a few companies like Western Mountaineer make a glossy finish that is supposed to be water resistant, though I've only used their regular down bags.

orangebug
07-27-2004, 11:26
Yeh, what he said.

Also, consider going to the Gathering in October and two one of the RUCKs in January. There are many ways to hike the AT, with some considering 40 pounds a bit hefty. There are many options to tents, but few options to using a pad at night for insulation and rest for those boney parts that develop on the trail. You might want to look at hammocks as an option.

I really like down bags for weight and compressibility. It takes only a bit of discipline to learn how to keep it dry, as well as how to use it to keep your clothes dry overnight. Higher priced down bags have shells that help keep spills out, while allowing vapor through. A down bag will last a lifetime, and is likely to be both the biggest and best investment on your back.

Kozmic Zian
07-27-2004, 11:51
Good day:

I have moved down to Murfreesboro, TN from Oklahoma to begin preparing for a 2005 Northbound through-hike. Hiking the AT through has been a dream since I learned of the trail.

I have decided, based on advice offered in this forum, to purchase everything going into the pack prior to purchasing a pack. Also, I have decided to try and keep a lighter pack weight of 40 lbs or less. I will weigh approximately 170 lbs to begin the hike.

Q: I have heard the pro's/con's of synthetic vs. down for bags. And obviously prefer the lighter route. But is there a lightweight down bag that is built to thwart off wetness?

Yes, you can buy a down bag, around 2lbs, down to around 30-25o, with a synthetic outer cover, that's 'water resistant'. Just be sure you have a stuff sac for the bag that's waterproof.

Q: What kind of stoves are being used efficiently and effectively along the hike? I have always used MSR stoves but would be willing to change.

You,ll get alot of differing opins on this one, but IMHO, use a 'cylinder-pressurized gas' stove of the MSR variety, you can't go wrong. The outfitters up the Trail, all have gas cylinders in stock, most have a universal 'screw mount', now. Much less muss and fuss than with 'fuel stoves'. MSR 'Pocket Rocket' comes to mind, at about 3 ozs.

Q: Is the extra weight of a sleeping pad worth it?

You better believe it. After spending 6 mos. on your back on hard surfaces in shelters and hostels, you'll be crying for something soft to sleep on. The 'folding foam' mattresses are liter, but are they righter? You'll have to decide. I choose a self-enflating mattress, 3/4 length, folds to very small, weighs a pound, more comfort, sleeps warm on cold nights. The 'foamies' are awkward to carry, too. Look at Thermarest.

Q: I have decided to take a tent. Are there any suggestions? I have always bought Northface or REI tents but again am willing to go another route.

Lots of ideas from different guys here, too. I personally, like tents, too. More protection on those stormy nights. If you're going solo, look at one-man tents, of course. Don't get anything weighs over 3lbs. MSR makes a good tent, Ureaka!, Kelty, Mountain Hardware, lots of choices. Make sure they are seam sealed, have a 'tub' at the bottom, and YK zippers. Make sure all your zipped gear has YK brand zippers.

Thanks in advance for any response. Are there folks from the Nashville/ Murfreesboro, TN area planning for a 2005 Northbound through hike?

JasonHope this helps some, Jason. Just remember this, gear is very personal. What works for me, may not work for you and vice-versa. My advice is to go to the Outfitter local, and talk to a knowlegable technician there, pick his brain on different stuff, that's why they're paid to be there. Check out also, some of the online gear outfitters, like...... www.campmore.com (http://www.campmore.com/) and www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/) Keep it right, carry only what you use every day.KZ@;)

Totally Different Subject
07-27-2004, 12:05
Much thanks to A-Train, Orangebug, A-Train and whoever else may respond. Each of your responses made sense and provided a direction.

I was not aware that REI would let folks rent the gear for trial purposes. It only makes sense and might keep someone from an impulse buy.

I suppose I'll need to fashion a trail name as I noticed most folks involved with this site, as well as trailblaze and trailjournals.com's all have them. So, tell me please, what is the significance of a trail name? Is it considered going against the grain should ones trail name be their whole name?

Again, thanks!

Lilred
07-27-2004, 12:10
Good day:

I love my alcohol stove. For the weight, nothing beats it. Check out www.antigravity.com

[/QUOTE]Q: Is the extra weight of a sleeping pad worth it?[/QUOTE]

Depends? How old are you? LOL I find there is a direct relation between age and the thickness of a sleeping pad, at least for me.

[/QUOTE]Q: I have decided to take a tent. Are there any suggestions? I have always bought Northface or REI tents but again am willing to go another route.[/QUOTE]

There's an REI store off of I65 south, Old Hickory exit. Have you seen the new Roadster tent? 3.25 pounds, nice headroom and nicely priced, check it out.

[/QUOTE]Thanks in advance for any response. Are there folks from the Nashville/ Murfreesboro, TN area planning for a 2005 Northbound through hike?[/QUOTE]

I live about an hour north of you, welcome to TN. :welcome There's a few of us on here from the Nashville area. I think we're all section hikers though.

orangebug
07-27-2004, 13:02
I suppose I'll need to fashion a trail name as I noticed most folks involved with this site, as well as trailblaze and trailjournals.com's all have them. So, tell me please, what is the significance of a trail name? Is it considered going against the grain should ones trail name be their whole name?

Don't sweat the trail name. They come in many varieties and for many reasons. Mine is a result of being a Clemson fan and a VW owner. Multifunctional gear, you know.

You can easily afford to wait until you hit the trail, and one is bound to appear. Of course, you could always be "Oky"

See how easy that was?

Bill....