PDA

View Full Version : Best fall hikes in New Hampshire

Panchito
09-03-2009, 13:39
Any suggestions? We have been thinking about the Carters and that range. I was also considering the Baldfaces but the rest of my party is a little reluctant, being that they are not 4000 ft. I should mention we are looking for an overnight. Was thinking about Galehead and Owls. Can you really go wrong? Thanks in advance

neighbor dave
09-03-2009, 15:13
vermont has more hardwood forest

Panchito
09-03-2009, 15:39
Could you recommend a good Vermont hike thats mountainous and close?

redseal
09-03-2009, 15:46
There is the Glastenbury Wilderness near Bennington VT. There is a nice 2 day loop hike there with a little less than 5000 ft. of total elevation gain. That is about the only experience I have with trails in VT.

Tin Man
09-03-2009, 16:31
There is the Glastenbury Wilderness near Bennington VT. There is a nice 2 day loop hike there with a little less than 5000 ft. of total elevation gain. That is about the only experience I have with trails in VT.

Along the AT in Vermont, this is one of the best spots and makes a nice loop. You can camp at the Goddard shelter just below Glastenbury Summit or camp near the fire tower at the summit. This is one of the most remote spots in VT, being 10 miles from the nearest road, and the night sounds are awesome. Also, great sunset/sunrise 360 degree views from the fire tower.

Peaks
09-03-2009, 16:36
There are numerous nice loops in the Whites. Just get the White Mountain Guide for some suggestions.

Cookerhiker
09-03-2009, 16:39
You mentioned the Carter Range. I hiked part of this in the Fall more than 20 years ago - about the 8th of October. After spending the first night at Carter Hut and hiking up to Carter Dome the next morning, I bailed out because of the driving snow for which I was not prepared. About 6 inches fell overnight and it was still snowing like crazy atop Carter Dome.

Anyway even if the snow wasn't a factor, I realized that if I wanted to hike amidst fall colors, I was in the wrong place since I was largely among evergreens. Pretty to be sure but not the desired fall foliage.

Perhaps you could hike around Zealand. I haven't been there in the Fall but the lower elevation should mean hardwoods and good colors. And you can still hike up to higher points like South Twin Mountain where a magnificent 360 degree view awaits you.

Tinker
09-03-2009, 21:44
In Vt, drive west on Rte 4 to the Inn at Long Trail. Park in lot across street. Take old AT south up the slopes of Pico Peak to Pico camp. Short trip with views is up trail next to Pico camp to Pico summit and back. Longer trip is to hike on to intersection with new AT and hike south to Cooper Lodge and take side trail to summit of Killington Peak, turn around and head back north taking new AT instead of old one through nice Beech forest back to Rte 4. Hike east on road back to car. Enjoy a good beer and Reuben sandwich at the Inn (their Guinness based Irish beef stew is good also).
My wife and I celebrate her birthday (Nov 4) at the Inn, (but not always on the DAY). We'll be there with friends this year (after the foliage drops :().

Mr. Clean
09-05-2009, 20:31
The Pemi loop is one of the best around. Hike up Liberty Springs, over to Lafayette and Garfield, then down the Bondcliff trail to Lincoln Woods. Plenty of places to stay overnight.

Panchito
09-06-2009, 07:43
That is basically what my buddies are saying. I'm dragging my feet because I have done the pemi loop and bondcliffs a few times this year. I could see how they would be good in the fall

Tin Man
09-06-2009, 23:41
That is basically what my buddies are saying. I'm dragging my feet because I have done the pemi loop and bondcliffs a few times this year. I could see how they would be good in the fall

Have you been to Thirteen Falls? That would be an awesome alternative to the traditional pemi loop?

Tinker
09-06-2009, 23:53
I was just thinking about it a bit and realized that lower elevations in NH are just as spectacular as higher elevations during peak foliage season. The Great Gulf, Dry River, and other generally low elevation trails will pretty much envelop you in color. Hiking up Mt. Adams you will hike through, then above the foliage and you can stay at the relatively spacious, enclosed, and weathertight Crag Camp or Grey Knob Camp, both run by the Randolph Mountain Club. There are a few tent platforms by the Perch Shelter, too.
I have some nice print photos in my collection from a climb long ago up the Caps Ridge Trail to the summit of Mt. Jefferson - then there's the AT south from Goreham past Rattle River Shelter and up to Imp Shelter overlooking the town of Berlin................I could go on and on...........

Mr. Clean
09-07-2009, 05:18
Don't un derestimate the Baldfaces. From the summits, the entire Wildcat and Carter ranges are visible as are the Mahoosucs and the Presidentials peeking up over the Wildcats. This is one of the longest treeless ridgewalks in the Whites, after the Pressies and Franconia. A bit harder to find an overnight spot, though.

I remember the sweeping view from South Baldface up towards the Wildcats/etc and everywhere else I looked I saw amazing colors that changed by elevation.

Not on the AT though.

Panchito
09-07-2009, 17:58
Feedback been amazing. Might have to do a couple hikes. Love the Perch, great sunset. I guess I was right, can't really go wrong. Maybe I'll talk them into baldface after all

Spokes
09-07-2009, 19:14
Too funny. I read the title and immediately thought it was about the best place to fall in New Hampshire- of course the answer is ANYWHERE!

peakbagger
09-09-2009, 07:52
A somewhat out of the way place is the Kilkenny ridge trail. Not a lot if views in some sections but it goes through variety of tree types plus a stay at the MT Cabot firewardens cabin is a nice awy to spend a night due to the nearby viewpoint. The north end of the trail runs through some nice hardwoods plus has a couple of better viewpoints (dont walkby the Horn). The trail is definitely less crowded then elsewhere in the whites.

peru hiker
09-10-2009, 19:14
your calculations about elevation are way off.