PDA

View Full Version : What size tent is too big?

redseal
09-03-2009, 15:33
My wife and I will be doing a thru hike in the future and are trying to get our gear straightened out before then. We want to take a tent (mainly for the privacy for her).

Anyways, we have an REI Half Dome 2 which is OK, but our sleeping bags do slightly touch the sides of the tent. We have not had a lot of problems with condensation, but when it occurs, the sleeping bags do soak up some of that moisture.

We spent many hours setting up other 2 person tents and could not find any to alleviate this problem (in the same weight range of 5.75 lbs fully packed). Can anyone recommend a 2 person? We tried the REI Half Dome, Camp Dome, and Cirque. Also the Hubba Hubba.

We did find some 3 persons tents in the same weight range with larger floor dimensions (about 90 x 70 inches). Would we have a problem finding places to put this larger tent up on the AT? If so, what would be the largest dimensions we should look at.

Other suggestions are appreciated as well. Yes, we do like hammocks, but the tent seems like a better choice to us for a 2 person thru.

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 16:23
I don't think you should worry about the dimensions in terms of finding places to set up. Plenty of space out there. Weight will be more of an issue.

So you know, I often recommend that people go up one size, paricularly if they want to have a lot of their stuff in the tent with them rather than leaving it outside. Manufacturers seem to have a habit of labeling a tent 2-person if it's just barely possible to squeeze two people into it with no room for anything else.

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 16:32
For a 3-person I like the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3, which is roomy and pretty light, but expensive. If you like your REI tent they have the Hoodoo 3 on sale, but it's heavy. A better choice might be the Quarter Dome T3, which price and weight-wise are in between the other two mentioned.

jcramin
09-03-2009, 16:34
My son and I use a Kelty Gunnison 3.1 and we love it. We both fit in with all our gear. I sleep near one door he sleeps near the other door and both our back sit between us. Plus it has two vestibules too.

J

Summit
09-03-2009, 16:36
The REI Hoodoo 3 features 91" length which should solve your problem, has great reviews and is on sale right now at a great price:

http://www.rei.com/product/761889

Oh no, that's twice in one week I've agreed with Jester. Am I starting to think like him? Shiver me timbers! :p

rpenczek
09-03-2009, 16:47
Da bomb for space vs weight Tarptent Hogback http://www.tarptent.com/productsheets/HOGBACK.pdf

Four pounds for not a three, but a four person tent. You will see very glowing reviews on WB of other Tarptent products.

The other tent I like in the Big Agens SL, comes in 1, 2 and 3 person versions. The 3 person http://www.rei.com/product/734067 is a bit pricey but it weights in at 4 lbs.

Peaks
09-03-2009, 16:48
Two things:

Foremost, if you already have a tent that not too heavy, then why not at least start with what you have. There are ample outfitters along the way if you want something else. (And this same advise applies to most of your gear.)

Second, when buying a backpacking tent, one of my primary concerns is weight. So, I would look at weight vs square feet.

Jester2000
09-03-2009, 17:03
The REI Hoodoo 3 features 91" length which should solve your problem, has great reviews and is on sale right now at a great price:

http://www.rei.com/product/761889

Oh no, that's twice in one week I've agreed with Jester. Am I starting to think like him? Shiver me timbers! :p

It's also 74" across, which is great, but weight is a bit high. But a good tent nonetheless, I think.

As for the other thing, as my evil plans begin to come to fruition you'll all start thinking like me, at which point I will stop thinking that way.

Rain Man
09-03-2009, 18:15
Like most backpacking gear, it's all personal. Y'all just have to decide what's for you.

If it were me in your shoes, I think I'd start with looking at the REI T3 and see if anything beats it in our minds. We have a T2 and really like it, but then it might get cramped on a thru-hike.

Rain:sunMan

lazy river road
09-03-2009, 18:26
Go for the aeros 3P by Marmot me and my girlfriend have it and love it

garlic08
09-03-2009, 20:02
Another vote for Tarptent products. With some of them, you'll get privacy and extra space. My wife and I loved ours on our thru hikes.

Egads
09-03-2009, 20:03
I carry a Big Agnes SL3 when hiking with my wife.

She likes the space and doesn't mind the weight since I carry it.

Jim Adams
09-03-2009, 20:15
The Kelty Gunnison 3.1 is a very good tent but if you want lighter weight and better ventilation you may want to checkout the MSR Mutha Hubba. The T3 is also a very good tent.

geek

bigcranky
09-03-2009, 20:20
The Tarptent Rainshadow II is a three person tarptent that weighs 2.5 pounds. The Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo is a humongous two person tarptent that also weighs 2.5 pounds. Either would be great for a husband and wife thru-hike. (We own both. Love 'em.)

Wise Old Owl
09-03-2009, 20:23
Well this might be easier than you think! Take the weight & divide by two and you carry the poles and the bottom and the other carries the stakes and tarp.

If you snore as bad as my loved one then its two (single) seperate tents 50 feet apart.:eek:

slowandlow
09-03-2009, 20:48
I own a Half dome 2 and it is plenty big for two. My wife and I used it on a HF to Damascus section hike, but it has since been replaced by a TarpTent Double Rainbow which weighs less than half as much and is only slightly smaller. I am much happier with the Tarptent for long distance hiking, and the REI tent is now mostly used for car camping and as a loaner when I manage to get friends to go hiking.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you, your wife, and all your stuff doesn't fit in that REI tent, then you have too much stuff for a thru. To carry a three person tent for two people simply doesn't make sense, and will only allow more stuff to creep in as you will have room for it.

Also, a little condensation touching your sleeping bag will do little to no harm and is insignificant compared to multiple days of nonstop rain that gets your stuff wet on the AT.

Hope my advice is helpful.:)

Tinker
09-03-2009, 21:09
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=11&cat=Shelters

Check these out. I don't own one but they look like very thoughtfully designed shelters.
One thing to consider: The fewer poles a tent has, the lighter it will be, BUT the more poles a tent has (and the more times they cross), the stronger it will be in wind and snow. The Lunar Duo looks like a very strong contender if it's big enough for the two of you.

BlackCloud
09-03-2009, 22:44
Anything more then you absolutely need.......:-?

Reid
09-03-2009, 22:52
I've recently came across a golite shangri la 3. Never had a better tent for the weight and space. Expensive but worth it. Leave out the nest and take the floor and you've got a very light tent and loads of room. I'm lucky I picked mine up for the cheap price I did.

Skidsteer
09-03-2009, 23:01
Ideally, you should be able to find your headlamp in pitch dark with your back teeth floating in less than fifteen seconds.

tammons
09-03-2009, 23:34
Nice tent for the weight is the Velox 3 dome tent if you can find one. They are just barely out of production.

2 entries, lots of mesh, nice vesibules, good size fly, easy to put up.

Weighs right at 5#

http://www.basegear.com/sierra-designs-velox-3.html

http://www.altrec.com/sierra-designs/velox-3-tent

tammons
09-03-2009, 23:38
One on sale.
Its a shame they stopped making this tent. It is a nice one.

http://www.tentsforsale.org/velox-tent-3

Egads
09-04-2009, 05:15
Ideally, you should be able to find your headlamp in pitch dark with your back teeth floating in less than fifteen seconds.

That was random, sure it's in the right thread?

earlyriser26
09-04-2009, 06:28
Go to a "3 person" tent. I always use a two person tent just for myself. The extra lb in weight will be well woth it. I never try to skimp on tent size just to save weight.

Hikes with a stick
09-04-2009, 07:56
If you expect to encounter cold weather, you will be better off with the a smaller tent, because that is less airspace to have to heat up with your bodies.

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse 2, and I thought it was awsome till I used it for awhile. If you have 2 people in a tent with only one door, it makes it difficult to enter or exit the tent without disturbing the other person. Its especially hard for the person on the side where the door hinges... Something to keep in mind...

mister krabs
09-04-2009, 10:54
I've got about a dozen nights in my Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3 (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringZephyr.htm). I really like it. It's similar in features, size and weight to a BA emerald mountain SL3 but a little lighter, and almost a pound lighter than the Mutha Hubba for the same floor space. Two doors, two vestibules, free standing and 40 square feet with good headroom. Here it is for $137 (http://www.hikestop.com/alps_mountaineering_zephyr_3-421991.php)

I find the quality to be good, about the same level as kelty if not a bit better. I think it's a good competitor in features, usability and quality to the two walled tents mentioned here at a heck of a lot cheaper.

Hoop Time
09-04-2009, 11:37
Go to a "3 person" tent. I always use a two person tent just for myself. The extra lb in weight will be well woth it. I never try to skimp on tent size just to save weight.

Ditto. My supposed two-person tent is an ideal size for me alone. It is big enough to fit two pads side by side, and works OK when Cookie Monster is along. But her non-trail nickname is "Midget." With a regular sized adult, it would be awfully cramped and certainly would leave no room for any gear.

As for all the discussion of weight. Remember, weight is only half of the equation. All weight decisions need to be balanced by consideration of other factors you deem important. If weight were the only consideration, we wouldn't carry water or food (or anything for that matter).

Yukon
09-04-2009, 12:00
My girlfriend and I use the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3, can't say enough good things about it!! Love this tent!

Summit
09-04-2009, 12:26
Go to a "3 person" tent. I always use a two person tent just for myself. The extra lb in weight will be well woth it. I never try to skimp on tent size just to save weight.Ditto, wouldn't use/have a solo tent, too cramped. I always want a tent designed for one more than will be sleeping in it. I use my SD Lightning for solo hiking and an older Eureka 3-man dome expedition tent when my son or someone else joins me.

cravj1988
09-04-2009, 13:02
For a two person team, the six moons design- Lunar Duo at 2.5 lbs is one of the best shelters on the market. Bacon bits and I love ours.

I am not an ultra-light hiker, but don't be fooled. Maybe when section hiking, weight is not important for some. But if your goal is to hike thousands of miles, it is all about the weight. What ever you decide, try to keep the shelter under 4 lbs.

skinewmexico
09-04-2009, 14:18
My two person tent is a Quarterdome T3. Rarely carry it though, since I also have a SMD Lunar Solo, and a Tarptent Double Rainbow.

jersey joe
09-04-2009, 14:57
I agree that a tent is a better choice for a couple than two hammocks because you can distribute the weight better between the two of you. I'd go as light as possible which probably means a 2 man tent, even if it means your bag gets a little damp now and then.

Peaks
09-08-2009, 16:45

It all depends. I've done some long trips with my one person tent, and I'm happy with it as long as it keeps me dry.

Part of your answer depends on how often you plan to use the tent. If you plan to use a shelter frequently, then it's different than using a tent night after night for 6 months.

If you don't already have a 2 person tent, then rent one for a weekend and try it out.

Captn
09-08-2009, 17:23
10 x 12 Silnylon Tarp. You can pitch it in about 50 different configurations.

Floorless Tent, Tarp, Rainfly, etc.

Lots of space, little weight.

CrumbSnatcher
09-08-2009, 17:37
MSR zoid2 lots of room for two people, two doors. tents mostly mesh with waterproof bathtub floor. less than 5 pounds

ridgerunninrat81
09-08-2009, 23:37
Even though I carried my small two person tent(ems) the whole trail, After checking my journals I only used it 9 times! (once at a bluegrass festival) So now I carry only a light plastic tarp. and a poncho just in case the shelter is full. For me its more about the weight.

brooklynkayak
09-09-2009, 06:24
We always take the Rainshadow II when I backpack with my wife. Plenty of room for us and all of our gear.

It's nice to be able to have the space to keep all your gear inside, gear doesn't get as wet and has less of a tendency to freeze on cold mornings.

It is not meant for 4 season use, so you won't want to pitch on exposed ridges during a storm, but 2.5 lbs makes it a great AT thru-hike tent. I haven't tried any others in that weight range, but I don't think you can go wrong with the 6MD as well the other tarptent designs.

The Tarptent Rainshadow II is a three person tarptent that weighs 2.5 pounds. The Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo is a humongous two person tarptent that also weighs 2.5 pounds. Either would be great for a husband and wife thru-hike. (We own both. Love 'em.)

brooklynkayak
09-09-2009, 06:32
10 x 12 Silnylon Tarp. You can pitch it in about 50 different configurations.

Floorless Tent, Tarp, Rainfly, etc.

Lots of space, little weight.

I am comfortable with this type shelter, a 10x10 could be roomy enough. I use a tarp for solo trips, but my wife is so comfortable with the tarptent that she doesn't want to try them.

Another consideration would be shaped tarps. Less flexible, but can be easier to set up and can be more stable/quite with less futzing. Look into pyramids or tipis for bomb proof reliability in bad weather. Oware, Wyoming Lost and Found, Mountain Laurel Designs, ... are just a few companies

brooklynkayak
09-09-2009, 06:37
PS. A 3 person shelter shouldn't weigh more than 2.5 lbs. There are many good shelters this weight or less. You will really appreciate the lightness after a long ascent.

Jester2000
09-09-2009, 09:48
PS. A 3 person shelter shouldn't weigh more than 2.5 lbs. There are many good shelters this weight or less. You will really appreciate the lightness after a long ascent.

And there are many good shelters that weight and more. Perhaps you can be happy living under a tarp or in a tarptent for 4 to 6 months straight; perhaps the original poster and his wife won't.

Appalachian Tater
09-13-2009, 12:20
Another vote for a Henry Shires Tarptent Double Rainbow or maybe the new Scarp 2 if you will be in winter weather. You want the lightest and smallest tent that can suit your needs.

Having a big roomy tent sounds like a good idea until you have to carry the weight all day and then realize that you are falling asleep, sleeping, waking up, or changing clothes when you're in it. It's not a mobile home, just a shelter from the elements and critters while sleeping.

bigcranky
09-13-2009, 15:39
We have a Double Rainbow. If you are going to look at that, also look at the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. We own both, and use the SMD more often when we hike together. Much more headroom and interior space. The DR is more wind resistant, at the cost of interior volume. Everything we've tried from both companies has been excellent quality.