PDA

View Full Version : Take This Bread: Hike For Hunger 2010

takethisbread
09-03-2009, 21:02
For Everyone interested, I am TakethisBread, and i am thru hiking in 2010 for hunger. I have developed sponsor sheets and am endeavoring to raise money to help some folks. I am working mostly with the folks at Feeding America, which is a network of food banks all over this country and they can help you do the same.

anyone interested in making a difference with their hike, please contact me at [email protected]

i have a web page that can explain some of the things at http://takethisbread.wordpress.com/

If i can get a few people willing to do this then i can try to get a couple corporate sponsors.

send me a note if you are interested in the sponsor sheets i have. I usually have people sponsor me by the mile, so if people here are only looking to do a section of the AT, then that works as well. its really for any level of hiker.

thanks folks!

Take this bread, if you need a friend 'Cause I'm alright if you're alright I ain't got a lot, but all I got You're welcome to it 'Cause I'm alright if you're alright I'm alright if you're alright

berninbush
09-03-2009, 23:40
Having watched these threads in the past...

... you might want to clarify up front whether 100% of the sponsorship money goes to Feeding America and/or other charities (and if so, which ones), or if some of it will be used to pay the expenses of your hike.

Does the money go to you, or directly to the charity in your name?

People like to know exactly what they're giving to, and how the money will be used. The subject can get very emotional very quickly.

Reid
09-04-2009, 00:24
I'd have to agree with berninbush about the percentages. I may not give you alot of money but I'll give you plenty of respect for showing that kind of compassion for others.

takethisbread
09-04-2009, 01:31
i don't take the money. You get a sponsor sheet which you fill out with your sponsors, as i do mine. They make a pledge. Feeding America takes it from there. They contact the sponsors, and they help with the collection. 100% goes to charity. My hike is already paid for. But excellent questions. Sorry i was not not more clear on that point.

thanks

http://takethisbread.wordpress.com/

jesse
09-04-2009, 02:38
your not giving anything, your sponsor is the one giving.

takethisbread
09-04-2009, 06:07
your not giving anything, your sponsor is the one giving.

yes, precisely.

and remember September is Hunger action month (http://www.hungeractioncenter.org/?__utma=1.4518440060124040700.1249942336.125203620 3.1252036203.3&__utmb=1.0.10.1252036203&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1252036203.2.2.utmcsr=aol%7Cutmccn=%28org anic%29%7Cutmcmd=organic%7Cutmctr=feeding%20americ a.com&__utmv=-&__utmk=68255761)

berninbush
09-04-2009, 08:50
Thanks for clarifying. :) Certain-people-who-shall-remain-nameless completely freak out when anyone says they're hiking for charity because they assume the person is just looking for a way to finance their own hike with contributions. The fact that you never touch the money and it all goes straight to the charity is a good way to keep yourself above reproach.

Best of luck with your hike, your sponsorships, and your cause.

BobTheBuilder
09-04-2009, 09:34
Sounds like a noble cause. Good luck with that and with your hike.

The irony is that you will probably get very hungry, too.

Pedaling Fool
09-04-2009, 09:54
Sounds like a noble cause. Good luck with that and with your hike.

The irony is that you will probably get very hungry, too.
Ha, Ha... I caught myself picking Hershey Kisses off the ground in New Hampshire and EATING THEM!

After I ate the last one, I thought to myself, "That was strange". Kind of neat how hungry you get out there, but can be a little harmful to your health:)

takethisbread
09-04-2009, 19:11
Thanks, all

i was not aware of the history of charity hikes, and that sounds sad, i hope all don't get too jaded, though.

The good Lord has blessed me with outstanding opportunities in my life, i have a great situation financially, which has allowed me to undertake this endeavor, i wish not for a cent of anyones money for myself, just trying to help folks less fortunate than i, and who need the breaks that i got. I only ask for an open heart and an open mind, and wish to invite any like minded soul to do the same if they so choose. Like i said before, there are options as laid out by my friends at Feeding America, where you do not handle a penny of anyones money, or really deal with the collection aspect.

Thanks all for your insight and your humor, i got a good laugh at that Hershey Kiss story, i am sure it will hit home a little less hysterically, in a few months.

Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

takethisbread