PDA

View Full Version : Hanover/Dartmouth campsite near soccer field

MarkTrail
09-04-2009, 09:52
We had a really bad experience at the supposed camp site at the far end of the soccer fiel at Dartmouth in Hanover.

Last evening campus security drove by and shined their lights at our tents around midnight. They did not come by and say anything to us until the next morning at 5AM. That was when they told us to "Leave! Oh and have a nice day!!!" When they left my friend heard them snickering.

Kind of BS. Would be better to stay at the shelter 0.7 miles away.

TNT

Slo-go'en
09-04-2009, 10:06

TNT

Now that school is back in session, that is likely a good idea. I should be passing through there in 10 days or so on a scetion hike of part of VT and NH. Hope to be in and out of Hanover pretty quickly - no need to linger.

Pedaling Fool
09-04-2009, 10:14
Probably an indication of how sick the locals are of hikers. I have spent much time in these type fields (school property) on my biking trips and have had cops stop by, but never told to leave (Many of them initially think I'm homeless:D). However, if these same towns had too many bad experiences with camping cyclists; I'm sure the cops would have kicked me out.

Rockhound
09-04-2009, 10:15
Better to stay at the frat house. Go to fraternity row and stay at the 3rd house on the right. The DOC will tell you they don't do that anymore but they still do.

Spokes
09-04-2009, 10:27
There's nothing like walking into the Dirt Cowboy Cafe in Hanover after being on the trail for 4 days and watching snotty Java drinkers get their first whiff of hiker funk mixed with pungent coffee aroma.................

Lemon croissant anyone?

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2009, 14:27
I'd like more details on this incident.

Weere you in the woods themselves? Or actually on the soccer field itself? The past few days idiots have been tenting ON the field, even tho all the Guidebooks expressly tell folks NOT to do this. I've been home for the better part of a month and folks have been camping in these woods every night. This is the FIRST time I've heard of any problems here. The Hanover Police, many of whom I know well, have confirmed to me several times that as far as the town is concerned, they have no objections to folks camping in the woods, as long as they're quiet (there are houses nearby); that they clean up after themselves; and that fires are kept reassonable.

The ONLY time I've ever heard of problems is when folks ignore the rules and camp ON the field itself.

Oh, and despite what is posted above, school is back in session, and there is NO Dartmouth frat or dorm that is presently taking in hikers on a regular basis, to a few took in some folks in recent weeks.

But as for folks in Hanover being "sick" of hikers, nothing could be further from the truth. The town's been full of hikers all week, I've met and spoken with dozens, and this is the FIRST time I've heard of anyone having a problem here.

Dogwood
09-04-2009, 14:35
If I recall correctly, there wasn't much of a campsite there anyway. You have to go further into the woods up the slope(not great campsites there either) or go to the shelter area to camp if you don't want someone outside the hiking community to notice you. I slept on the slope near the soccer field early-mid Sept on my thru-hike. Soccer players began practicing early in the morning around 7 A.M. There are other places to stay/camp in Hanover.

I actually enjoyed Hanover. Great Co-op. Some excellent hiker friendly people. And, sipping on quality brew and noshing on a reduced price day old pastry from an outside table at The Dirty Cowboy in the heart of town watching all those frantic hurried busy people, some of them being energetic good looking college woman, just hammered home how much different my life had changed over the past months since starting at Amicola Falls. When done with coffee grab a frisbee and cut diagonally across the street to the grassy fields for some play time.

No need to match hate with hate, anger with anger, or snootiness with snootiness. Don't allow someone else's snobby attitude, if in fact that is what you experienced, make you snobby too!

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2009, 14:39
Actually, there are several perfectly fine campsites there, and there have been no reported problems this year, as long as folks stay in the woods. If Dartmouth Security was indeed hassling folks who were NOT on the field itself, they were out of line.

Rockhound
09-04-2009, 17:23
I'd like more details on this incident.

Weere you in the woods themselves? Or actually on the soccer field itself? The past few days idiots have been tenting ON the field, even tho all the Guidebooks expressly tell folks NOT to do this. I've been home for the better part of a month and folks have been camping in these woods every night. This is the FIRST time I've heard of any problems here. The Hanover Police, many of whom I know well, have confirmed to me several times that as far as the town is concerned, they have no objections to folks camping in the woods, as long as they're quiet (there are houses nearby); that they clean up after themselves; and that fires are kept reassonable.

The ONLY time I've ever heard of problems is when folks ignore the rules and camp ON the field itself.

Oh, and despite what is posted above, school is back in session, and there is NO Dartmouth frat or dorm that is presently taking in hikers on a regular basis, to a few took in some folks in recent weeks.

But as for folks in Hanover being "sick" of hikers, nothing could be further from the truth. The town's been full of hikers all week, I've met and spoken with dozens, and this is the FIRST time I've heard of anyone having a problem here.

Um....Jack. Yes there are frats that are taking hikers in. 6 of us were there just a few days ago. maybe they just didn't take you. It is also my understanding that Dartmouth runs classes year round so the "back in session" has not applied since before the school went coed in the 70s.

Rockhound
09-04-2009, 17:25
Actually, there are several perfectly fine campsites there, and there have been no reported problems this year, as long as folks stay in the woods. If Dartmouth Security was indeed hassling folks who were NOT on the field itself, they were out of line.

It's nice to stay in a frat where the cops won't be bothering you.

Dogwood
09-04-2009, 17:45
If there were good campsites near the soccer field(s) along where there is a fence near the trail than I must not have found them. I stand corrected. You would know better JT. TU.

Tinker
09-04-2009, 22:25
We had a really bad experience at the supposed camp site at the far end of the soccer fiel at Dartmouth in Hanover.

Last evening campus security drove by and shined their lights at our tents around midnight. They did not come by and say anything to us until the next morning at 5AM. That was when they told us to "Leave! Oh and have a nice day!!!" When they left my friend heard them snickering.

TNT
Better that they should find you than a bunch of college pranksters thinking it would be great fun to set your tent on fire!
You are right. MUCH better to camp near the Velvet Rocks shelter.