PDA

View Full Version : Ok My first overnight trip some help please

lazy river road
09-04-2009, 11:37
Ok, So here I go, Im doing it and im so xited...:banana...my first over night trip and I have about a month to plan it. I plan on leaving Friday October 2nd and returning Oct 4th Just two nights. I want to start some where along the AT in VA, MD, PA. Hike Friday through Sunday. Im planning to hike up and hike back the same way. So two nights to prepare me for the week I want to do in spring time...and then hopefully a two week trip by the end of the summer. Does any one have any good suggestions on where to start in the VA, MD, PA area. Im in very good shape. Am planning on carrying a very light load (a non framed pack 2,500 cu in). Ill be by my self. and here is a list of some questions that I have.

1. Any good suggestions on trail heads to start off at
2. Id like to be in a place where water is abundant (thats my biggest fear)
3. Can I set up my tent any where off the trail in VA, MD, PA,(im weird about sleeping and like the comforts of my tent)
4. What is weather generally like that time of year on the trail. Their isent much elevation from what ive seen on topo maps so im hopinng its nice and hopeing to get to see some good foleage.
5. Any other tips suggestions etc. would be very helpful.

WB you have been a great guideing light in preparing me for my first trip...and helping dreams becomes a reality

Hoop Time
09-04-2009, 11:55
Any considerations of where to hike should take into account your abilities/conditioning. How many miles per day do you ant to hike?

For example, between Peters Mountain Shelter and Rausch Gap in PA. its about 18 miles. So that might not be doable for folks not in good trail shape even though it is routine for throughs who have had over a 1,000 miles of conditioning by the time they get there.

I'd suggest downloading the ALDHA's companion (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm), which will give you distances between various landmarks, including trailheads and shelters. With that in hand, you can then look for sections that would work for you in terms of distance.

This also will give you some guidance about where you can camp. For example, between Boiling Springs and Darlington Shelter, there is no place where camping is allowed. There are spots you could probably get away with stealth camping, but if you are not familiar with the trail in that area and don't know where those spots might be, it would be difficult to plan accordingly.

You might also want to consider shuttle options instead of an out-and-back hike. You could park where you plan to end up, get a shuttle to your starting point and hike back to the car.

I can't speak to water conditions everywhere from experience, but anecdotally it seems there is no place on the trail where you can't find water within 6 or 7 miles. Again, the Companion will give you guidance re: water sources (though it does not include them all, for instance no mention of the small stream between Cove and Darlington, where SOBOs best fill up since Darlington's spring is dry this time of the year).

As for weather, that time of the year is very changeable in Pa. You could have indian summer conditions, or it could be pretty chilly -- at least at night. Probably best to check the forecast before leaving and making any adjustments to your gear then.

lazy river road
09-04-2009, 12:12
some backround on my self...i am in very good shape...i go to the gym 5-6 days a week for cardio and strength training. Lots of trail experience with day hiking but no experience with over night trips (thats why I want to do a small trip at first so I can carry a very light load)...Hoop the guide you are refrencing does it tell you where you can and cant tent camp...also (noob ?) how do they patrol the trail at night to make sure that tents arent set up in the wrong place...do rangers just patrol the area...also my gear can handle cold...I have a 40 degree bag with a therma rest pad. In yellow stone this summer it go down to 20 and I was cold but was ok when it was around the 30's. But yeah im a little concerned about where to set up the tent. My reasoning for doing a up and down hike was just to make things simple for me. Not having to be on a schudgle. Walk as far as I can on Saturday and then back to my car on Sunday. This trip for me is really just about getting comfortable hikeing with a bag and my stuff and getting a little experience under my belt. I dont want to over estimate miles and not make it back to my car in time type of things. And how do I even know how many miles I can or should hike in a day.

lazy river road
09-04-2009, 12:22
ok a bit of confusion on the manuel...where does it actually say where you can and cant sleep

Redfish
09-04-2009, 12:34
how good are your orientation/navigation skills?

Hikes in Rain
09-04-2009, 12:48
ok a bit of confusion on the manuel...where does it actually say where you can and cant sleep

You can sleep anywhere it says there's a shelter or a campsite. In addition, there are a lot of campsites along the way that aren't in the book. You'll notice them as you go by. And, as someone mentioned, you can always stealth camp; that is, find a likely looking spot and set up there, out of sight of the trail. All you really need is a flat spot large enough for your tent. A view is optimal. Some spectacular sights are well away from a water source, so if you're willing to stock up some time before you're ready to stop, that improves your options.

That advice, of course, excludes any areas where camping isn't permitted.

lazy river road
09-04-2009, 12:53
My orientation/navigation skills are ok not the greatest...i would def not want to be droped in the middle of no where with just a map and a compass thats for sure...but i can read a trail map and have a pretty good sense of where I am in the woods follow blazes with out getting lost....i can read a map and understand elevation change on a topo map...I know how to read a compass and determine milage on a map...i just printed out the guide for MD and PA...and now have a clearer understanding of how far things are from one another.

lazy river road
09-04-2009, 12:58
Just to Clarify Hikes in Rain. If I decide to hike from Ed Garvey Shelter to Rocky Run Shelter....I can camp right around Rocky Run Shelter or 200 yards off the trail and it will be legal. I also wouldent mind trecking through the wood and just finding a nice quiet spot...id be able to make it back to the trail im confident in that...i also dont want to be one of the noob hikers whom vet hikers look at and say "i cant believe the dumb a$$ is doing that" type of thing...I respect nature and hikers and dont want to do any thing to fopa

Redfish
09-04-2009, 13:06
Cool. Just wondering because I was going to mention stealth camping like Hikes in Rain. There are many AWESOME places to camp off of the trail; any trail that I've been on, I'm sure the AT has its own all over the place. You kinda want to have a good, reall good, idea of your bearings so that you can load up with water for the evening and morning, step off of the trail, and walk 300 to 400 yards away (or more)and set up camp for the night. Before I go somewhere new, I pick out several places per day that might look appealing as possible scenic camping spots, and then stop when I want to. Major Concerns about Stealth Camping: 1 way in another way out so that you do not make a new trail for others to follow which would lead to over use...and triple check your site before you leave - there will not be a trail worker or other hiker behind you to pick up any small piece of trash that accidentally fell out of your pack like there is at a shelter.

Blissful
09-04-2009, 13:20
...i also dont want to be one of the noob hikers whom vet hikers look at and say "i cant believe the dumb a$$ is doing that" type of thing...I respect nature and hikers and dont want to do any thing to fopa

Uh...we were all novices once (and still are depending on the trail). Just go out and have some fun and don't worry about what you look like to others. Who cares what they think anyway.

Great time of year to hike.

I'd take a map always but your chances of getting lost and hence the need for navigational skills are fairly slim unless you really like off route bushwhacking.

It isn't actually "steath" camping unless one is planning to camp illegally or where you technically might otherwise not (like near a town, etc). The advice offered would fall under LNT principles which should be followed no matter where you camp.

In that area you mention, camp where you want. I've also camped like ten feet off the trail when a storm hit (this was up north). On a forest road service road. Etc.

Have fun and don't sweat it.

lazy river road
09-06-2009, 11:09
Great Advice blisful thx you....so another question...if i were to shuttle it...and not down and back it...apx. how many miles should i try to cover/how far should i get shuttled away...like i said before im in pretty good shape...the md/va area seems relativley flat...id plan on leaving friday afternoon and try and hike a few mile friday before it gets dark...then have all day saturday to hike camp saturday night and hike back to my car sunday and drive home...ive never planned a trip like this so i dont really have a concept of how far one walks any advice is appriciated

Bulldawg
09-06-2009, 11:53
Great Advice blisful thx you....so another question...if i were to shuttle it...and not down and back it...apx. how many miles should i try to cover/how far should i get shuttled away...like i said before im in pretty good shape...the md/va area seems relativley flat...id plan on leaving friday afternoon and try and hike a few mile friday before it gets dark...then have all day saturday to hike camp saturday night and hike back to my car sunday and drive home...ive never planned a trip like this so i dont really have a concept of how far one walks any advice is appriciated

Being your first trip outside of day hikes, I'd say plan on a 17-23 mile trip for 2 1/2 days. You could end up doing a lot more, but if you do that; simply walk past your car and come back to it.

Jonnycat
09-06-2009, 15:28
Five miles Friday night. Ten miles Saturday. Five miles Sunday.

That's what I would do. Try to plan on it being easy; you've got a lot of trips ahead of you in the future to figure out where your breaking point is.

For now, just shake out the bugs and enjoy getting out there.

Hikes in Rain
09-06-2009, 15:34
I agree, take it easy on yourself on the first trip. Focus more on fun and scenery, rather than miles. As mentioned, you have a lot more trips, as long as you enjoy the first one.

On a different topic, since you're doing an overnighter, as far as food goes, you can do almost anything! Freeze a steak, double-baggy it so it doesn't leak, and grill it over a wood fire. Watch those who share the campsite drool! :D

mrhughes1982
09-07-2009, 12:03
Lots of spam and a big shovel!

lazy river road
09-07-2009, 12:12
mrhughes no spam for me i keep kosher...hikes in rain i thought open fires were not allowed due to impact reason....or are their pre made fire pits at most of the shelters....i like the 5-10-5...that seems do able...also another reason why I was considering down and back...and i was planning at starting at Harpers Ferry...Any suggestions on going N or S bound at that point of the Trail...and every one else I like the Ideah of just having fun i do plan on doing a lot more trips after this one...it really is just about working out the kinks and getting comfortable and my feet wet (well not literally ill keep my boots on)

Feral Bill
09-07-2009, 13:05
If you are keeping Kosher you might look up threads on dehydrating your own food and/or vegetarian trail foods. Especially for longer future trips.

NYKh
09-08-2009, 15:05
I would recommend NOBO starting at I-70; it’s a good mix of hills and straight away’s. Plenty of water and camping spots. Easy parking right off of rt40 . Friday night you can easily make the pogo spring/camp, Sat you can make Cowell (sp) or Devils race course shelter.
In the past two months I did a NOBO from I-70 to Pen Mar then 2 weeks later a SOBO from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry.
That area is very hiker friendly.