PDA

View Full Version : Unfriendly female hikers

ridgewalker777
07-27-2004, 13:27
I passed a female hiker earlier today who was utterly silent in response to my "good morning". What's going on here, is there routine advice given to them to stay mum to avoid giving the wrong impression?

MOWGLI
07-27-2004, 13:59
I have had men do the same thing to me. I don't think the issue has anything to do with gender.

Jersey Bob
07-27-2004, 14:56
at least 10 characters

Noggin
07-27-2004, 14:57
I don't think the issue has anything to do with gender.
Does it have something to do with sex?

Alligator
07-27-2004, 15:02
Post a picture Ridgewalker so we can see if it has anything to do with you.:D

A-Train
07-27-2004, 15:17
Couldn't disagree with you more Jersey Bob. Mostly thru-hikers who are either in a rush or are not enjoying the trip or just having a bad day that would not stop and say hi. Most day/weekenders are happy and upbeat just to be out there. Then again some day hikers/urnanites are unfamiliar with the friendliness of the woods and hiking community and will not say hi because they're not accustomed to it.

Brushy Sage
07-27-2004, 15:21
I have met hikers who were listening to music (or other input) thru earphones, and walked right by without acknowledging my presence. I did get one couple to stop long enough to give me some directions, but one person complained that I had interrupted their reverie.

johnny quest
07-27-2004, 15:28
whether im in kmart or on the trail this is how i handle folks who refuse to respond to a strong, vibrant, friendly "good morning!"
i say, in just as strong and friendly a tone "or maybe its not"
or "thank you, have a good day yourself!"

it makes them wonder.

tlbj6142
07-27-2004, 16:00
My wacky brother has a day of silence every Tuesday. Though I'm sure he'd still wave and/or smile back.

johnny quest
07-27-2004, 16:05
you must be related to that guy that played in "dallas" and "i dream of jeanie" (who wouldnt dream of jeanie?) he does the monk think once a week. hey, as long as they smile and wave that is cool. here in texas when we pass each other on the farm to market road we just lift one finger off the steering wheel in salutation. and not the middle finger!

Jersey Bob
07-27-2004, 16:17
at least 10 characters

Kozmic Zian
07-27-2004, 23:47
Yea.....A-Train, Waz a 'urnanite'? Anything like a Biblical 'Cannanite'? Or maybe an 'Urbanite'.....Def: One who resides in the City. Got cha'... :) KZ@

sgtjinx
07-28-2004, 11:44
:confused: It's all about TRUST. No one trusts each other any more. The Democrats don't trust the Republicans. Woman don't trust men and so on and so on.

It's a very sad world we live in today!

Lone Wolf
07-28-2004, 11:47
She coulda been one of those man-hatin, feminazi lesbos. They are out there you know. :)

MOWGLI
07-28-2004, 11:56
She coulda been one of those man-hatin, feminazi lesbos. They are out there you know. :)

Are you listening to Rush Limbaugh? I thought you didn't like druggies Wolf?

ridgewalker777
07-28-2004, 12:15
Thanks for the feedback. As the brother of three older sisters, I'm sensitive to actions or words that would offend, especially as fellow hikers. Reserved emotions exist for good reason, often by being hurt or dissappointed. Some women (or men) would need to see Robert Redford or Henry Kissinger on the Appalachian Trail to respond to a "good morning".

Lilred
07-28-2004, 13:37
Thanks for the feedback. As the brother of three older sisters, I'm Some women (or men) would need to see Robert Redford or Henry Kissinger on the Appalachian Trail to respond to a "good morning".
ok Robert Redford I can see. But Henry Kissinger??????

SavageLlama
07-28-2004, 13:44
I've actually found solo female hikers to be very friendly on the trail. Of course, I have run into a few of the kind that Wolf is talking about..

bailyrosco
07-28-2004, 13:52
As SGTJINX said it is a sad world we live into today. It is our duty guys to try to change that. We should continue to say "good morning" and "how are you" and you should look someone directly in the eye when exchanging pleasantries. I know we can not change the world back to yes sir and please and thank you but we can feel good about trying. Women are in a difficult spot because some do not want any undo attention. I don’t want to get off the thread to far but guys we need to change the way women feel. Hold the door open for them, let them off the elevator first and offer to help them out when there hands are full juggling groceries and kids in a parking lot. :-? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

MOWGLI
07-28-2004, 14:21
On the whole, I find the people along the trail (hikers) to be much friendlier than folks you meet walking down Main Street, USA. Of course, the trail is still a microcosm of larger society. There are angry & antisocial folks that can be found on the Appalachian Trail, and some folks who don't possess social skills. Remember too, the majority of long distance hikers are introverts.

I ran into a guy near Rainbow Lake in Maine in August 2000, and he didn't say hello as we passed one another. Turns out he was deaf and apparently didn't hear me. I didn't learn that until later at the shelter. In other words, things are not always as they appear.

Lone Wolf
07-28-2004, 15:13
I'm no dittohead, MOWGLI. I listen to Michael Savage, Neal Boortz and Shaun Hannity faithfully though.

Flash Hand
07-28-2004, 15:55
On the whole, I find the people along the trail (hikers) to be much friendlier than folks you meet walking down Main Street, USA. Of course, the trail is still a microcosm of larger society. There are angry & antisocial folks that can be found on the Appalachian Trail, and some folks who don't possess social skills. Remember too, the majority of long distance hikers are introverts.

I ran into a guy near Rainbow Lake in Maine in August 2000, and he didn't say hello as we passed one another. Turns out he was deaf and apparently didn't hear me. I didn't learn that until later at the shelter. In other words, things are not always as they appear.

Yup.. some hikers can be deaf. I m one of them, and I tend to keep eyes on the mouth of all other hikers that past me. If they said something, and I will always for sure to let them know that I am deaf. I think that a woman who hike past you, is not up to talk or chat. I had passed some female hikers and I am expert with reading facial expression on their faces, and I know they look nervous when there was a male hiker around in the wilderness. All I can greet them is a smile.

Flash Hand :jump

Cheerio
07-28-2004, 15:57
is there routine advice given to them to stay mum to avoid giving the wrong impression?
There actually are some books out there that say this. Not distance hiking books, but I've seen this in day hiking books. Generally, after someones had some exposure to the friendliness of hikers, they learn to ignore this unless they get the creepy crawlies;)

Cheerio

Rain Man
07-28-2004, 16:30
ok Robert Redford I can see. But Henry Kissinger??????

Mary, you don't like brains and power???!!! You women can be SO shallow!
:jump
Rain Man

Peep
07-28-2004, 16:46
The ones who don't say hello usually look like it's their first time in the woods. Never experienced this with anyone who appears/smells like a thru-hiker.

Just wanted to ask what a hiker is supposed to look like. This is a sore subject for me. I section hiked into Damascus for Trail Days this year and paid a local outfitters $30 for a shuttle to Troutdale. My driver, who works part time there, said he was peeved because he was told to charge me $30 for the trip but had shuttled another hiker to Troutdale for free. When asked why, the guy (won't say who) who runs the place said - "cause he's a hiker". What the hell was I? Did I not look the part? I'm a girl, I didn't smell, I was clean...
The next time I'm looking for a shuttle from Damascus it'll be at the other Outfitters and I'll wear a T-Shirt saying "HIKER". and I'll wear my dirty underwear. :mad:

Lone Wolf
07-28-2004, 17:47
Peep. Next time you're in Damascus look me up or e-mail me. I'll give you a FREE shuttle.

Peep
07-28-2004, 18:33
Hey L.Wolf - thanks, I'll take you up on that free ride. I've been wanting to meet you ...oh yeah..I'm a tree-hugging, vegetarian, liberal democrat, ....won't that be an interesting ride? Seriously - you crack me up; luv ya anyway.

Lone Wolf
07-28-2004, 19:00
Hell I just spent 3 days this past weekend at Smilefest with 6000 or so folks just like you. I swear I was the only right winger there. I felt empowered! :)

Jersey Bob
07-28-2004, 21:34
at least 10 characters

sgtjinx
07-29-2004, 12:11
Hey Peep,

Two out of three isn't bad. :D

Kozmic Zian
07-29-2004, 16:38
Yea.....I thought about this one for quite a while. I can see where some ladies might be scared to be 'up in the woods' 1st time out, but it seems more dangerous to me, to not be courteous, confident, and self-assured. To be unresponsive up on The Trail, might conjure up the wrong kind of attention, show fear, or piss some body off. I would definitely encourage everyone, male and females to be courteous, and respond when a fellow hiker passes. You don't have to explain the justification for life or anything, just say hello, be nice and pass. KZ@

Kozmic Zian
07-29-2004, 16:49
I'm no dittohead, MOWGLI. I listen to Michael Savage, Neal Boortz and Shaun Hannity faithfully though.

Yea.....Good Grief, LW. For a hiker and a biker, you sure are brainwashed! Try www.MoveOn.com (http://www.moveon.com/) you might get some rightous information. Not that pre-digested, neo-con censored stuff. It's mostly out of touch with what's really happening in the country. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, but at least see what the other side has to employ, before rushing to judgement. Peace.KZ@:-?

Peep
07-29-2004, 17:14
Ha,ha,ha....truth be known, I'll bet LW. is as liberal as some of us. You know the type: Big Bad Wolf and then real cushy inside. Why the hell would you be going to a 6000 strong Smilefest anyway, LW.?

As a woman hiking solo, I've never been afraid of anyone (man or woman) I've met along the trail. I figure that if some Nutso wants to do Nutsy things, he/she is sure going to a lot of trouble when they hike on the AT. I'm a little more careful near the roads - and I don't think I'd hitch-hike alone. Most hikers are the most interesting and friendliest people you will ever meet. See you out there. :bse

ripple
07-30-2004, 07:15
Moveon is full of lies. They make illegal campaign contributions. It was founded by a billionare who has his own agenda. Here is a article about some of the things they say that are untrue. Move on does it's own brainwashing!
http://65.54.186.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=0c21d47d58e51bb9c43d2ace3cfb3417&lat=1091185836&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2egopusa%2ecom%2fnews %2f2004%2fjune%2f0622_moveon_ad_errors%2eshtml

Kozmic Zian
07-30-2004, 08:00
Moveon is full of lies. They make illegal campaign contributions. It was founded by a billionare who has his own agenda. Here is a article about some of the things they say that are untrue. Move on does it's own brainwashing!
http://65.54.186.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=0c21d47d58e51bb9c43d2ace3cfb3417&lat=1091185836&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2egopusa%2ecom%2fnews %2f2004%2fjune%2f0622_moveon_ad_errors%2eshtml

Yea......Whoaaa.....There pal! Short of calling me a liar, you should learn to reply in a somewhat more restrained and dignified manner. You don't know me, and apparently you don't know about this org. All They want to do is remove the blasphemer, GWB. That's politics, and it dosen't require you call my party liars, nor me to call you or yours a liar. Relax, were just havin' fun. KZ@:D

ripple
07-30-2004, 08:15
Sorry. In no way am I calling you a liar, I really don't know you and hence can not call you a liar. I did not mean to offend you. Move on is full of untruths and partial truths. They have people that would say and do anything to get rid of GB. I am not calling a politcal party liars, just some people in the Moveon. Just don't take anything any group from any side as gospel. There are lots of sources for info, and one should not rely on just one, or two sources. Boths sides (unfortunatly 2 party system) have there spin Drs working overtime.

steve hiker
07-30-2004, 08:20
How about a Friendly female hikers thread. That's the kind I like, you betcha. ;)

Kozmic Zian
07-30-2004, 08:21
Yea.....But all that goes without saying. Thankfully we have more than two parties in this country. We need a strong 3d party to counterbalance the others. Maybe not in my lifetime, though. I'll read your spin, if you read mine. Then see who's full of 'untruths and partial truths'. I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a dime that the Party you're defending is hiding more truths at this point in time, than the Party I'm talkin' about. Check it Out!KZ@:-?

Lone Wolf
07-30-2004, 08:28
Bush/Cheney 04. Deal with it. :)

Kozmic Zian
07-30-2004, 08:31
Yea......Naw. If they win, you'll have to deal with it! :) KZ@

SwEeT cLoVeR
07-30-2004, 09:43
Hello everyone, I am a deaf female hiker on planning to be 2005 thru hiker from GA to MA. If you all see me on the trail, don't be afriad to tap my shouder and say HI! I wont bite :D

steve hiker
07-30-2004, 12:15
Thanks SET LV, with all those tEeTh in your nAmE you look like the biting type.

Pirate
08-03-2004, 22:01
Sounds like a dyke on a hike to me.

Pencil Pusher
08-03-2004, 22:43
Fragile male ego seeks reassurance and confirmation of manlyness from friendly female hikers:rolleyes:

Anyone but Shrub, 2004.

Flash Hand
08-08-2004, 09:24
Peep. Next time you're in Damascus look me up or e-mail me. I'll give you a FREE shuttle.

Just for her only? I would love to have someone give us shuttle up north if we hiked past Damascus before trail days, or south if we haven't hiked up to Damascus on time for trail days next year.

And, how far would you shuttle us?

Flash Hand :jump

eyahiker
08-08-2004, 10:56
The third party should consist exclusively of

Conservative non-dyke female hikers to say hello and are friendly to everyone, and who smell nice.

Ridge
11-26-2004, 00:10
Dykes that Hike, for some reason, scare the hell out of me. I've even seen a couple with tee shirts on that proclaim they are "Dykes that Hike" They were mean as hell, I guess they thought I wanted a threesome or something...NO WAY..

Needles
11-26-2004, 05:07
Dykes that Hike, for some reason, scare the hell out of me. I've even seen a couple with tee shirts on that proclaim they are "Dykes that Hike" They were mean as hell, I guess they thought I wanted a threesome or something...NO WAY..

Lesbians are just like everybody else, some are royal pains in the butt and some are the nicest people you could ever meet. I have a couple of really good friends who are lesbians and they are raising a happy, healthy, well adjusted, smart as a whip, 2 year old daughter who has the ability to make anyone within 20 feet of her melt the instant she flashes her smile at them. Both of her moms are smart, friendly, out going, non-judgemental, just great people all around. They have no agenda, they just love each other very much. So don't let all "dykes that hike" scare the hell out of you, you could be missing out on meeting some really interesting people and making some really great friends.

Bloodroot
11-26-2004, 08:29
Threesome? Scared? hmmmmm :jump

smokymtnsteve
11-26-2004, 09:52
PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"Women who love only women may have a good point"

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Rosco
12-01-2004, 01:19
. Both of her moms are smart, friendly, out going, non-judgemental, just great people all around. They have no agenda.

No Agenda??!!!
BOTH hers moms?!
Get a clue.
Rosco

Pencil Pusher
12-01-2004, 03:04
Threesome? Scared? hmmmmm :jump
Eh, maybe there was good reason to be scared;)

Needles
12-01-2004, 04:32
No Agenda??!!!
BOTH hers moms?!
Get a clue.
Rosco

Actually I have a clue, maybe you should get a life ;)

Skyline
12-01-2004, 10:59
Next time, call her m'aam. It's so rare today it will be disarming.

attroll
12-01-2004, 13:33
Lets stop the bashing and get back to the subject before I have to delete this thread or close it.

steve hiker
12-01-2004, 13:44
C'mon attrol, lighten up. Ain't nothin wrong with a little fun. (except the time it takes from work. damn i waste alot of time on this site)

bitpusher
12-01-2004, 14:59
Seriously, this thread reminds me of a time I was doing a training hike in the local state park. I was coming up a hill with my pack on, huffing and puffing. This trail ended at a junction with another trail that is popular with joggers. As I was just cresting the hill, I saw a female jogger running in my direction. She saw me, stopped dead in her tracks, and immediately turned around and ran in the other direction. I swear I'm not that scary.

JustHank
12-01-2004, 15:30
It isn't required that they respond.