PDA

View Full Version : How much does your pack weigh?

sbbtool
09-04-2009, 13:32
Fully loaded. I've read people carrying from 20 to 75 pounds worth of stuff. Just curious.

Hikes in Rain
09-04-2009, 13:55
Too darned much. Usually around 30 lb., fully loaded. If only I could bring myself to trade in and replace some of that new stuff (like my sleeping bag) I got before I found this place!

Jonnycat
09-04-2009, 14:06
My base weight (no fuel, food, or water) is 17 pounds, and includes everything I need to survive comfortably down to just below freezing.

Food is 2.5 pounds per day, and water can be anywhere from a liter (two pounds) to however much I need until the next watering hole.

Yukon
09-04-2009, 14:17
Fully loaded with five days of food and a full 3L camelback bladder, 35 pounds...summer months.

jersey joe
09-04-2009, 14:52
Fully loaded with 7 days food, 50lbs. I'm too cheap to go ultra light.

Summit
09-04-2009, 15:04
Fully loaded with 7-8 days of food (no water), 35 lbs. A couple of years ago it was 50-55 lbs. I'm comfortable at 35 lbs - to shed any significant amount more would require giving up a few luxuries I choose to not go without. ;)

Base weight would be about 20 lbs.

Big Dawg
09-04-2009, 15:12
current base weight... about 22#'s.

wish list base weight... about 14#'s

Jonnycat
09-04-2009, 15:16
...to shed any significant amount more would require giving up a few luxuries I choose to not go without. ;)

I'm in the same boat as yourself; there's only so light I'm willing to go!

Blissful
09-04-2009, 15:25
32 early spring; fall

28 summer

tammons
09-04-2009, 15:26
My current setup with my old Kelty alpine pack, spitfire tent, montbell #2 UL, regular neoair and bluepad, with all my other crap for 3 season
baseweight 14#

If I go to a GG Mariposa pack and rework my tent with a cuben fly (expensive) or go for a lighter tarptent like a contrail under 2# or a gatewood cape and bug tent I will be at a
baseweight 12# or maybe a bit less. A gatewood cape and a bugtent weighs about 17 oz.

That same 3 season setup with extra winter gear added to go to 0dF depending on spikes, extra layers etc will add about 2-3#.

I have a SUL summer setup, with a stirpped jam pack (18 oz), cuben tarp(still have to make that but I do have a sil tarp), tyvek bivy or a bug tent, climsheild XP quilt
baseweight 5# but its really stripped out.

With a silnylon poncho tarp that SUL I have now its right at
baseweight of 5.5#

5 days of food at 28 oz per day which is lean for me and fuel and 2 L of water add another 11#

So for 5 days...

Roughly

SUL total - 16-17#
Light 3 season total - 23#
Winter - 26#

Thats down from 40-45# loaded with my old kelty pack in the 70-80s.
Back then light sleeping bags were 4#, tents were 5#, packs were mostly 4-5#, so you were at 15# before you ever got started packing all your other crap.

My old base weight was always right at 30-35#.

skinewmexico
09-05-2009, 03:15
GG Mariposa is a sweet pack. Much more comfortable to carry than the identical load in a Jam2 or an Exos 46.

Maddog
09-05-2009, 03:44
about 30-35 lbs!

stranger
09-05-2009, 05:34
Last year I weighed my pack at Neels Gap before leaving and with two days worth of food and one liter of water it came in at 26lbs. I ended up shipping just over 2 pounds worth of stuff home at Franklin so it became a tad lighter, but then I picked up a few things at Hot Springs that made it heavier.

These days I don't think too many experienced hikers carry more than high 30's including food and water, but it varies depending on so many things. Some people can crush out 25 mile days with 50lb loads - I'm not one of them!

In my experience it's fairly easy to keep your total pack weight below 30 lbs including food, water and fuel, and many people can keep it around 20lbs, but I would say the vast majority of AT hikers are probably over 30.

Blue Jay
09-05-2009, 06:54
These days I don't think too many experienced hikers carry more than high 30's including food and water.

Wrong gram weenie breath, most multis (hikers who have done the AT more than once) are not ultralighters. In fact I have yet to meet an ultralighter more than once on the trail. Actually I'm surprised by this myself as I'm out there all the time. Mile slavery gets old quick.

Rocket Jones
09-05-2009, 08:36
Wrong gram weenie breath, most multis (hikers who have done the AT more than once) are not ultralighters. In fact I have yet to meet an ultralighter more than once on the trail. Actually I'm surprised by this myself as I'm out there all the time. Mile slavery gets old quick.

I understand HYOH, but I also thought that part of the ultralighter idea was to be able to enjoy the hike more by being less of a pack animal, and not just to lighten up to walk bigger miles.

garlic08
09-05-2009, 10:05
In my experience it's fairly easy to keep your total pack weight below 30 lbs including food, water and fuel, and many people can keep it around 20lbs, but I would say the vast majority of AT hikers are probably over 30.

My observation exactly.

Also my observation on my single AT thru. Many hikers who are able to lighten up their loads will go on to hike other, longer (or more difficult) trails. :D

tammons
09-05-2009, 10:26
Comfort, skill level, safety vs weight.

I personally have always tried to keep the weight down.
Starting on a combined hitch hiking trail hiking trip out west and around the country in the 70's. My buddy and I geared up.

I got a Kelty alpine pack that weighed just over 3# which was really light at the time and not too bad today considering how tough it is. Still have that pack. Bad side is major back sweat.

My buddy had a large Kelty full frame pack. Heavy.

I had a down bag, that got wet several times during the trip. He had a mummy bag, cant remember exactly what but it was heavier.

We split the weight of a fairly heavy eureka tent that I still have today, but its long wasted.

I started off at 45# which was pretty light back then. My buddy was 55-60# with all sorts of crap. Too many clothes mostly. He had a big pack. HE even had a pair of full shank Vasque hiking boots. Ah the good old days.

Before I left I kept on lifting my pack, Umph and strip something else out.

Before long while we were traveling I was at about 40# and thats about as light as I could go.

My buddy ended up at about 50#, later to zero when his gear was stolen 1500 miles from home.

I still remember lifting his pack before we left and thinking, good god thats heavy and it was.

Back then at 19 YO we had good knees !

Jayboflavin04
09-05-2009, 10:27
I am currently at around 35 lbs. I know where I can lighten up. But I am pretty new so I have some cushion built into my pack list.

I am looking at the ULA packs.....My current pack, while extremely comfy, is 4.5 pounds(Osprey Aether 70). I am looking at the curcuit which is just over 2lbs.

I think most will say.....the first step in going lighter is to keep an eye on the big three. (Pack, Shelter, sleep system)

russb
09-05-2009, 10:42
3 days/2 nights fully loaded 3 season... just under 20#.

Note: I am experienced in the outdoors so most of my weight reduction comes from what I do not bring. Because of that, I can use an UL pack. Many do not bring what they need for safety when they go UL and some bring the gear but not the knowledge necessary for its use in an emergency situation. Nothing replaces knowledge and experience; as you get more you can pack less.

Toolshed
09-05-2009, 13:05
Fully loaded with 5 days of food + 1 litre water 33~36 lbs (Just weighed it this morning for my trip)

My summer set-up Includes:

Montbell SS #2 Down
Kelty Haiku 4250 CI Backpack
Hennessy Explorer Deluxe'
REI Lite Core Pad 1.5 Short
MSR PR and 4 oz canister
Clothing:
1 Complete spare set of clothes:
1 - underwear
1 - shorts
1 - T-Shirt
1 - Wool socks
Sleeping/Cold/Wet
1 Pr Extra Shorts (sleeping)
1 long sleeve micro 3/4 zip T-Neck top (Insulating)
1 pair very thin/lights running tights (insulating)
1 approx 100 wt fleece vest (Might be thinner than 100 wt)
1 Marmot Precip RainJacket
First Aid Kit
Black Diamond Headlamp
spare/miscellaneous/accessories kit
toilet Paper/sanitary wipes
MS Water Filter (I know - not needed)
3 mm cord (50')
Blackberry (Email/Camera/Phone)
Maps/trail info
2-2.5 lbs food/day
1 Microfiber towel
1 Bandanna
1 pr breathable Rocky Mountain Ankle length) Gaitors
Gigapeak Ti potset and lexan spoon

I know I can trim close to 4 more lbs from this, but I feel like I have a comfortable trade-off where I am at right now...

Red Hat
09-05-2009, 13:24
I come in at about 25 lbs with 4-5 days food. In the 100 mile wilderness, carrying 9-10 days, I was right at 30 lbs.

Razor
09-05-2009, 21:12
I am at 12-13 lbs base plus 2 lbs food /day & water,fuel for x days. This is a comfortable setup for 10 months. Winter I add 2-3 lbs extra clothing . This setup has worked well out west and on the at. But the key to keep comfort high is the knowledge to operate well and keep best practice in the forefront of your mind

Razor
09-05-2009, 21:20
My kit is now 12 lbs + 2 lbs food day + fuel ,water for 10 months .During winter add 2-3 lbs extra cloths .This keeps me very comfy but the key is knowledge and keeping with best practice.

Tinker
09-05-2009, 21:22
20# for a weekend (2 nights), spring through fall, up to 37# for an 8-9 day trip without resupply

High Altitude
09-05-2009, 23:43

If you want to see a bunch of ultralight thru hikers come on out to the
West to the CDT/PCT.

High Altitude
09-05-2009, 23:49
My base weight is anywhere from 7-12lbs depending on trip length and type (no winter), add in 2lbs per day of food, about an ounce per day for fuel and I usually only carry an average of 1L of water while hiking.

Sub 5 is next.

Wolf - 23000
09-06-2009, 05:01
On my last trip that I didn't carry a lot of "extras", my base weight was 14 to 18 ounces. That was on the JMT. I think if I was on the AT doing the same thing, I could have dropped it down a little bit more.

Wolf

stranger
09-06-2009, 08:07
Blue Jay - you think carrying high 30's is gram weenie material? Seriously?

Big Dawg
09-06-2009, 08:12
On my last trip that I didn't carry a lot of "extras", my base weight was 14 to 18 ounces. That was on the JMT. I think if I was on the AT doing the same thing, I could have dropped it down a little bit more.

Wolf

OK, I gotta see the packing list for this set up....

or did you mean pounds.:-?

tammons
09-06-2009, 09:50
Sweet - 1#2

Dont even need a backpack for that. just stuff everything in your pockets.

Jonnycat
09-06-2009, 12:32
Sweet - 1#2

Dont even need a backpack for that. just stuff everything in your pockets.

The trick is to have to have your socks a few sizes too big, then they have a dual purpose as a sleeping bag.

Blue Jay
09-06-2009, 17:47
Blue Jay - you think carrying high 30's is gram weenie material? Seriously?

No, I was commenting on the sentence "I don't think too many experienced hikers carry more than high 30s including food and water....". Many experienced hikers carry books, camera equipment, extra food so we don't have to run into every single trail town, because pack weight, like gear and mile obsession mean little or nothing. Seriously. That said, I am getting older and some day I will have to become weenie material.

Blue Jay
09-06-2009, 17:54
If you want to see a bunch of ultralight thru hikers come on out to the
West to the CDT/PCT.

Actually I never said I did not see ultralight thrus, I see them every year. What I do not see is ultralight multis. Do you see ultalights more than once on the CDT or PCT? It may be that they feel, been there done that, move on to something else.

Razor
09-06-2009, 19:15
My kit is now 12 lbs. I have used it both out west and on the ATfor 10 months .During winter Iadd 2-3 lbs or cloths /pad It is very comfortable.The trick is having the experience and knowledge to operate with best practices and stay safe.

gearfreak
09-06-2009, 21:10
Gear only (for weather down to freezing w/ some creature comforts) 18 lbs 12 oz. I carry one liter of water. Repackaged food is about one pound per day. 7 days and six nights I'm carrying 26 lbs 9 oz. :cool:

Kerosene
09-06-2009, 22:19
Early spring/Late Fall: 26 pounds with 3 days of food and 2.5 liters of water.

High Altitude
09-06-2009, 22:58
Actually I never said I did not see ultralight thrus, I see them every year. What I do not see is ultralight multis. Do you see ultalights more than once on the CDT or PCT? It may be that they feel, been there done that, move on to something else.

Not the CDT but there is on the PCT.

High Altitude
09-06-2009, 23:07

Wolf

Did you take any kind of water proof bivy/sack or tarp? What about a sleeping bag/quilt/blanket of some kind?

Wolf - 23000
09-08-2009, 18:14
Did you take any kind of water proof bivy/sack or tarp? What about a sleeping bag/quilt/blanket of some kind?

High Altitude,

It rained on me 3 days and snowed on me 1. Of course I had water proof stuff. The JMT average 9000 feet. What kind of question is that????

I think your getting off topic of, "How much does your pack weigh?" not how do you backpack in the year 2007?

Wolf

tammons
09-08-2009, 19:05
I think 18 oz pack is doable.
I personaly would be miserable
except when I was walking and
would rather carry more gear but...

1 oz cuben pack
2oz GG pad
9 oz down cuben quilt (waterproof)

2 oz Micro cuben tarp
1oz 1 platy

1.5 oz garbage bag multipurpose raingear

1.5 oz accesories.

The rest is worn or in your pocket or carried.
IE lighter, knife, hat etc.

Eat cold

High Altitude
09-08-2009, 21:19
High Altitude,

It rained on me 3 days and snowed on me 1. Of course I had water proof stuff. The JMT average 9000 feet. What kind of question is that????

I think your getting off topic of, "How much does your pack weigh?" not how do you backpack in the year 2007?

Wolf

I am just curious. I have seen sub 2lb base weights with a complete set of gear but that is with a lot of MYOG with cuben fiber material.

You probably didn't carry any kind of sleeping bag/quilt, just an insulated jacket. We all know climbers have used this system with bivy bags for a lot of years so it can work. Pick your spot [low (but not in a gully of cold air), sheltered and on a nice pine needle bed] and jump in while hot and I am sure you could get some good sleep.

Pack, jacket, water container, clothes that you are already wearing, bivy and/or poncho and a lot of food.

Wolf - 23000
09-09-2009, 09:49
I am just curious. I have seen sub 2lb base weights with a complete set of gear but that is with a lot of MYOG with cuben fiber material.

You probably didn't carry any kind of sleeping bag/quilt, just an insulated jacket. We all know climbers have used this system with bivy bags for a lot of years so it can work. Pick your spot [low (but not in a gully of cold air), sheltered and on a nice pine needle bed] and jump in while hot and I am sure you could get some good sleep.

Pack, jacket, water container, clothes that you are already wearing, bivy and/or poncho and a lot of food.

I'm not really a MYOG type of guy. I have yet to see someone who Made their own gear who wasn't carrying at least 3, 4, 5 times or more weight than my self but that their choice.

I think you hit own it of one of the reasons I don't like to go into gear. Sometimes you have to know were to camp, or what to do then the weather gets bad, etc that a lot of hikers don't think about. That is more important than the gear.

Wolf

Wilson
09-09-2009, 11:12

so that,s how they do it....now tell us why they do it. i'm curious too.

tammons
09-09-2009, 11:44
I think going out with very little equipment and surviving in relative comfort is interesting. Your skills have to be at a very high level, with a lot of common sense.
One bad case of Hyper or hypo thermia and you could be history.

Its more time consuming than just setting up a tent, when things get nasty, but with the right knowledge you can survive anywhere.

As far as lighter and lighter base weights with somewhat traditional gear, it becomes diminishing returns after a while, because food and water is so heavy.

Let say going out for a week.
2# base vs 5# base.
A 5# base will be a lot more comfortable and versitile setup than a 2# base IMO.

Food 2# per day, plus carry 2L of h20. So you end up at 20# total vs 23 # total.
Not a big deal.

Going to a 12# base less the pack, then its a different story, because at 30#+ You would want a better and heavier pack to distribute the weight so now you are up to 32-33#. Still not bad by the good old days standards.

If you really want to go SUL, just grab a garbage bag, old can, knife, mouse trap and a water bottle and do it Cody Lundin style.

High Altitude
09-09-2009, 14:48
I'm not really a MYOG type of guy. I have yet to see someone who Made their own gear who wasn't carrying at least 3, 4, 5 times or more weight than my self but that their choice.

I think you hit own it of one of the reasons I don't like to go into gear. Sometimes you have to know were to camp, or what to do then the weather gets bad, etc that a lot of hikers don't think about. That is more important than the gear.

Wolf

Everything seems so easy and comfortable when the weather is nice and clear. Throw in cold, rain/snow and some clouds/fog so you can't see more than 50' and everything changes real quick. Top it off with only the absolute bare minimum of gear and their isn't that much room for mistakes. I see a lot of hikers rely mostly on being able to bail out off the trail if things get bad but what if you are lost?

tammons
09-09-2009, 14:52
Tom brown survival school - highest level training, takes place in Montana, mid winter for something like a month with only rudimentary gear, like clothes on your back and a knife.

High Altitude
09-09-2009, 15:04

I believe it has everything to do with someone wanting to experience and feel a certain way. It is the same reason why some climbers free solo.

Some people will say that someone that does these kind of things has a death wish, but if you talk to them they will tell you that it isn't a death wish, it is a life wish. They want to experience what they are doing in its truest form.

YoungMoose
09-09-2009, 15:53
Usually 30-35 pounds

Wolf - 23000
09-10-2009, 07:19
Everything seems so easy and comfortable when the weather is nice and clear. Throw in cold, rain/snow and some clouds/fog so you can't see more than 50' and everything changes real quick. Top it off with only the absolute bare minimum of gear and their isn't that much room for mistakes. I see a lot of hikers rely mostly on being able to bail out off the trail if things get bad but what if you are lost?

High Altitude,

I've personally been there multiply times. On that trip, the JMT, I was rained on 3 days and 1 day of snow. It also makes it more difficult to bail out when things get bad. Even in bad weather, I can take care of my self and a few trips help to bail out others that were not so experience.

It all comes don't to the experience of the hiker more than the gear he/she is carrying.

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
09-10-2009, 07:24

For ever item you place on your back, is one man made item that you are using and relying on taking you farther away from being a part of nature rather than a guess. If I wanted all the comfort of home, I would stay home. If I want a wilderness experience, I'm going to leave that stuff behind.

Wolf

birdog
09-10-2009, 08:03
Fully loaded:
5 days
winter solo hike
80 miles
temps from 35 to -5
28 pounds

faarside
09-10-2009, 10:43
... These days I don't think too many experienced hikers carry more than high 30's including food and water, but it varies depending on so many things. Some people can crush out 25 mile days with 50lb loads - I'm not one of them!

More power to ya, Stranger!

For me, I'm a 'pack-rat' ! Fully loaded (with five days food & water), mine weighs-in around 50lbs.

XCskiNYC
09-11-2009, 20:37
Over the last long weekend my pack weighed 34 lbs 9.6 ozs, including 1.5 liters water and maybe 2 or 3 lbs food.

The average weight for the 23 entries thus far (in order to keep comparisons equivalent, where people broke it down I apportioned 3 days of whatever food/water weight they gave): 28.0008 lbs.