PDA

View Full Version : fontana to NOC

vibedog
09-04-2009, 17:56
how difficult is the stretch between fontana and NOC heading South? where can i find a list of shelters and elevations? thanks for your help.

Cabin Fever
09-04-2009, 17:59
how difficult is the stretch between fontana and NOC heading South? where can i find a list of shelters and elevations? thanks for your help.

You can start with a map.

There is a robust database on this site as well (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=340867).

atdist.com is a pretty good site too.

Chaco Taco
09-07-2009, 11:20
Appalachian Pages or a map.

The hike south from Fontana is not bad. Going down to Stecoah Gap is straight down. The hike up to Cheoah SOBO is switch back, lotta up. The bald is great and then its a long rocky downhill into NOC. Lots of up and down.

Ox97GaMe
09-08-2009, 00:15
When are you hiking that section?

There was a new relo put in between yellow Creek Rd and the Brown Fork Shelter in July. This improves the climb heading south. There is another relo that is scheduled for mid October in the Cheoah Bald area which will improve some of that climb as well.

Blissful
09-08-2009, 22:23
Well going north it was a bear in '07, 'scuse me. :)
But maybe on a section hike its good.

bigcranky
09-09-2009, 07:25
Well going north it was a bear in '07, 'scuse me. :)
But maybe on a section hike its good.

I've hiked it twice as a section hike, and it's a bear in either direction if you're not in hiking shape.

But this is Whiteblaze, where everyone hikes 30 miles a day with a 65 pound pack (or a 5 pound pack) and every section is really easy. Once you remember that, you'll do better, I promise.

Morning Glory
09-09-2009, 07:58
I just did this section NOBO this past weekend. Though the first few miles out of NOC were all uphill, it wasn't too bad. However, that last climb up to Swim Bald was absolutely terrible for me. My Appalachian Pages said that from Jump Up to the top of Swim Bald was only .7 mile, but I know that it had to be at least 1.2 miles! There were a couple of other mean climbs too, in particular the one out of Stecoah Gap, but I was mentally prepared for it and just put my head down and took my time, then took a nice break at Brown Gap Shelter before moving on.