PDA

View Full Version : Kent, CT

ridgewalker777
07-27-2004, 13:34
The AMC thru-hiker's companion infers that Kent does not overwhelm hikers with generosity and appreciation. Any town that calls Henry Kissinger a v.i.p. resident cannot be all good... Any experiences hikers would like to share either in affirmation or denial? Clearly real estate values are much higher here than most other trail towns, and the wealthy want a large circle of comfort, which might seem challenged by small spending noisome trail hikers.

copythat
07-27-2004, 14:36
I use Kent as my jumping-off point for my all-too-short weekends, and I return there before heading for work on Sundays. The only annoying people I've found are from out of town. (I read license plates and accents.)

Most people there have never seen Henry Kissinger, much less noshed on his terrace. (He spends much of his time in The Big Apple, anyway.)

Kent has a good quality outfitters, called Backcountry Outfitters. They carry a good variety of gear and supplies and, being so close to the trail, they see plenty of hikers (local and thru). Hours: Mon-Sat 9-6, Sun 10-4. 888-549-3377 toll-free. (I have shopped here, but I don't care wether you do.) http://www.bcoutfitters.com/ Oh, and they're friendly.

There is also, at the corner of Route 7 and Route 341, a gas station/convenience store that has better-than-average coffee, decent baked goods, ice cream, magazines and newspapers, lots of pink and blue "sports" drinks, and they don't look sideways at you if you wander in wearing trail runners, tights and a headlamp.

And there are several restaurants a touch farther north on Route 7. Pizza, "American" fare and the like, for those of us who need to consume more calories than you'd find on the average buffet table.

Gotta say, New England (where I've lived for 22 years) is generally not as friendly as other places I've traveled. Yeah, there are pockets of friendly, and yeah, some trail people are warm + fuzzy, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a Connecticut native as W+F as an import. Wuddevva.

Tramper Al
07-27-2004, 14:37
Really, I don't worry too much about the price of real estate when I go for a hike on the AT. People who insist on feeling 'left out' generally will, I think.

Anyway, I section hiked through Kent last fall and it was all good. My interactions with locals consisted of riding my bicycle through and around town (to set up the hikes), asking directions, and saying 'hi' to the day hikers I came upon. Everyone was nice and friendly, no worries.

I wouldn't like to pre-judge a town or the people in it, simply because I heard that they have more money than the average bear. I am out for a hike, and I don't really need either 'generosity' or 'appreciation' from anyone (why would I expect these?) for me to enjoy a section of trail, or a town for that matter.

2XL
07-27-2004, 15:23
As long as it has the basics, who cares how much money the locals have.
They have an outfitter, food, hotel, Post office and a shower at the church(if its still there). All this close to the trail, easy off easy on.
What more could you want?

Footslogger
07-27-2004, 16:51
I didn't find Kent any more/less expensive or hiker "unfriendly" than any other New England town. As previously stated, the outfitter is good and very helpful (at least for me). Rooms are high priced so get some other hikers to share. There are a few decent places to eat and grab a beer.

Only did an overnight and hit the Post Office for my re-supply the next morning before hiking out. That kept my expenses down

'Slogger
AT 2003

magic_game03
07-27-2004, 19:05
well, I do believe there is an overwhelming positive response to the quality of respect between the local town of Kent and the AT hiker community. I too agree, in fact I would have to say that kent has a very bright side. Who was it that was crying about their Peruvian organic free trade coffee beans a couple of weeks ago. anyway, it's not much of a hostel-hang-out town but it is easy to get to and has PO, food store, outfitter, coffee house, library with internet, nice people, and a few more features if you know how to look or ask. it ain't hanover, NH and it ain't got a co-op but I've been to many featureless towns along the AT that could use the spirit Kent has.

Jersey Bob
07-29-2004, 10:06
at least 10 characters

Mountain Dew
07-30-2004, 00:00
You can shower at the "electric hippo" if I remember right. It's an outside shower for two dollars, but worth it. The store owner will also let you use his restroom. This store is in the same area as the grocery store, post office, and laundry place. The outfitters is very helpful and even suggested that we could stay under the town pavilion. It is out of site and about 20 of us stayed there for free without problems. A police officer even came by ....saw us and went about his business. A church in the town offers two hikers per night a stay so get there early for that. :welcome

smokymtnsteve
07-30-2004, 00:09
well, I do believe there is an overwhelming positive response to the quality of respect between the local town of Kent and the AT hiker community. I too agree, in fact I would have to say that kent has a very bright side. Who was it that was crying about their Peruvian organic free trade coffee beans a couple of weeks ago. anyway, it's not much of a hostel-hang-out town but it is easy to get to and has PO, food store, outfitter, coffee house, library with internet, nice people, and a few more features if you know how to look or ask. it ain't hanover, NH and it ain't got a co-op but I've been to many featureless towns along the AT that could use the spirit Kent has.

you say they got some organic peruvian fair-trade coffee bean up thar in Kent,CT ..I better start walking that a way.

A-Train
07-30-2004, 00:25
you say they got some organic peruvian fair-trade coffee bean up thar in Kent,CT ..I better start walking that a way.

They do, but its gonna cost you :)

smokymtnsteve
07-30-2004, 00:30
about 8 dollars a LB here in Atlanta at the farmers market.

ridgewalker777
07-30-2004, 16:00
Kent has a good Saturday farmer's market, supermarket, cafes, and an outfitter. Perhaps the negative inferance in the "Thru Hiker's Guide" by the AMC on Kent is unwarranted...