PDA

View Full Version : Hammock sites--Blood Mountain

stumpy
09-04-2009, 18:04
Are there any good Hammock sites on or around Blood Mountain. I know the peak is not a good bet. How about just down either side?

Thanks!

dreamsoftrails
09-04-2009, 18:18
the peak is a great bet. last time i camped there, i hung right off the trail near just north of the trail. there is also a secluded spot on the peak just north of the shelter and to the left. you just keep your eyes open for a small trail shooting to left as soon as you get to the rock surface after the shelter.

the same night i was there, two hikers hammocked at a spot just south of the shelter. the peak, the way up, the way down, hell anywhere in the area is littered with hammock spots.

if its reasonably warm, i highly reccommend it, as the blood mt peak can be a beautiful experience at night. you get stars and a landscape to the south and north.

dreamsoftrails
09-04-2009, 18:19
edit. i camped just off the trail north of the shelter.

stumpy
09-04-2009, 18:32
Wow that is great news!!!!!! I think we will try to hang on top!

Tinker
09-04-2009, 22:04
All over the mountain. Watch out for poison ivy vines. They were everywhere in Ga.

SteveJ
09-04-2009, 23:41
Are there any good Hammock sites on or around Blood Mountain. I know the peak is not a good bet. How about just down either side?

Thanks!

I'll "ditto" the need to watch for poison ivy vines on most trees....

We hammocked at the Slaughter Gap campsites, just south of the peak. Nice hike up in the morning....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17777&catid=member&imageuser=6309

stumpy
09-05-2009, 09:56
Thanks for the heads up on the poison ivy. It doesn't really bother me much, but my wife has problems with it!!!!

Cabin Fever
09-05-2009, 11:29
This is so backwards to me. Isn't one of the selling points of a hammock that it can be used anywhere? Then, why are we asking about hammock hanging sites? Two trees, voila!

Just Jeff
09-05-2009, 14:40
Because some mountaintops are balds (no trees) or don't allow camping, etc.
Who said hammocks can be used anywhere? It's just a tool and you need the right tool for the job, or the right gear for a trip in this case. Hammocks are difficult to use above timberline, in the desert, etc...including on balds.

But in other locations, especially on the east coast, it's generally easier to find a hammock site than a tent site, IME.

Some people plan their gear around the location they want to visit...others plan their location around the gear they want to use. Sounds like this thread was just making sure the location and gear were compatible.

As long as everyone is enjoying the outdoors responsibly, it's win-win.

MoBill122
09-05-2009, 14:43
Wondering if that bear is still hanging around the old shelter on Blood.

Still wonder about reactions of those hanging, when a bear rubs it's back on the bottom of a hammock ! <G>

Just Jeff
09-05-2009, 14:46
Probably similar to a tenter when the bear sniffs at that big protective wall of nylon... :D

Tinker
09-05-2009, 22:24
This is so backwards to me. Isn't one of the selling points of a hammock that it can be used anywhere? Then, why are we asking about hammock hanging sites? Two trees, voila!

Nothing is perfect, but, for me, tenting has always been a lot less perfect than hammocking.
Nevertheless, I did tent camp on my Georgia section hike and my back paid the price for the next two weeks.:(

dreamsoftrails
09-08-2009, 17:53
Wondering if that bear is still hanging around the old shelter on Blood.

Still wonder about reactions of those hanging, when a bear rubs it's back on the bottom of a hammock ! <G>
lol. you mean is the bear warning flyer still hanging around the old shelter?

JaxHiker
09-08-2009, 19:27
I hammocked on the Freeman Trail earlier this year (goes around Blood).

robb
09-17-2009, 14:04
Lot's o choices up there. I've even found that just a hundred yards up or down trail on almost any bald is easy pickin's for the HH.