PDA

View Full Version : I need a SOBO buddy for thru-hike in 2010!

bradisntmyname
09-04-2009, 18:21
I'm hiking in 2010 from Maine to Georgia, and need someone to go with me - too much risk involved with hiking solo. I have no specific date I plan to leave, just after May 1st. That's when college lets out for me. I don't have to be back for fall semester, so there's no rush. I can walk fast or slow - pace is of no concern. When I was in the marines, we did 30-40 mile days back to back to back for 5-6 days at a time, sometimes more. My fitness is peak, but I won't push anyone to keep up. I would be more than happy to slow to someone else's speed. Anyone interested let me know. If you're in VA even better - we can meet up and get to know each other a little better before hitting the wilderness together.

Tinker
09-04-2009, 22:57
You really don't, but if it makes you feel better I hope you find someone. Hiking is SOOOOOOO much more fulfilling (well, for me at least) when one is alone with his/her thoughts. I don't mind company at campsites, however, and it DOES pay to know who among those hiking at your speed you can trust, so don't take my opinion as reckless, just give it some thought, ok?

bradisntmyname
09-06-2009, 18:59
Word... I've been toying with the idea of hiking solo. I hear southbound there are less people you run into though. Not really sure how that would make sense, but whatever.

Pilgrim '11
09-09-2009, 16:29
Word... I've been toying with the idea of hiking solo. I hear southbound there are less people you run into though. Not really sure how that would make sense, but whatever.
The stats I've read say about 10% - 15% of people go SOBO from Maine, so yeah, you won't have the heavy crowds like in GA.
If it's safety you're worried about, my advisor set off solo when she was 26 and walked a fair amount of the trail alone. You can find her on Trailjournals.com - trailname Nocona. That's not to say don't bother asking; keep looking and I hope you find someone you can connect with. I'm doing a flip-flop in 2011 and not having any luck finding a partner yet; will probably end up connecting with a series of section hikers as the hike goes along.

Good luck!

bradisntmyname
09-10-2009, 14:43
I'd be down for a flip-flop in 2011 - I graduate from college that spring and wont have jack to do for quite a while.

bradisntmyname
09-10-2009, 14:43
I used to live in AL as well - we have stuff in common.

Rain Man
09-10-2009, 20:30
I'm hiking in 2010 from Maine to Georgia, and need someone to go with me - too much risk involved with hiking solo.

Too much risk? Grandma Gatewood did it three times. Dorothy Laker too. etc. Do some research and reading. You might find out there's not too much risk after all.

Rain:sunMan

bradisntmyname
09-10-2009, 21:13
Too much risk?

I hate snakes.... they are actually one of my few fears.... I've actually done lots of reading, and I understand I'm not likely to be mugged or attacked by a bear, but there are a few things one should guard against. I'm pretty sure I'll end up just linking up with someone once I'm on the trail though.

Pilgrim '11
09-11-2009, 09:22
I'd be down for a flip-flop in 2011 - I graduate from college that spring and wont have jack to do for quite a while.

Maybe I'll see you. Maybe we'll walk together for at least some part of it.

J.L.M.Webb
09-16-2009, 19:37
Well I'm doing a SoBo hike mid June :) Marines eh? Lots of strength :p I've started making plans so if you're interested, contact me at: [email protected]

wexler_a
11-15-2009, 19:55
Hey I also posted on a different one of your threads, but this one seems more legit so ill post again. I graduate college May 18th and have two friends that said they will hike with me, but realistically the one has to go back to school at the end of summer and the other one will probably puss out. So I too am looking for someone to hike with. Im 21 from Ohio and jsut got into hiking this summer (worked on the blue ridge parkway in VA). Hit me up sometime if your still interested

white_russian
11-15-2009, 20:08
I hate snakes.... they are actually one of my few fears.... I've actually done lots of reading, and I understand I'm not likely to be mugged or attacked by a bear, but there are a few things one should guard against. I'm pretty sure I'll end up just linking up with someone once I'm on the trail though.
Snakes understand the AT is a hiker superhighway so most of the time they stay away. I can't remember offhand ever actually seeing a snake on the AT.

Nocona
11-24-2009, 17:23
Hi,

This is the Nocona mentioned in a thread above. I would encourage you to reconsider your thoughts about a solo hike on the AT. I thru-hiked solo and it was one of the most profound and wonderful experiences of my life. Definitely life-altering. Since the AT, I have thru-hiked the PCT and many other trails with my husband. Hiking with someone else is nice and can be safer in some cases, but I still look back at my solo hike as the ultimate experience and would not trade it for anything in the world.

Take advantage of your freedom and ability to do whatever you want, whenever you want....go solo. You'll run into plenty of people on the AT, no matter what direction you are taking. You'll learn to love yourself more than you ever have (I like to say, you'll become your own hero) and you'll have a deeper, more intense experience without the distractions of another person's conversation or schedule.

Keep in mind that risk is often not measured properly in our society. It is MUCH more dangerous to drive to the grocery store (thousands of times more dangerous, statistically speaking) than to take a walk in the woods alone.

Nocona
AT'98

Spokes
11-24-2009, 17:30
I hate snakes.... they are actually one of my few fears....

I came to hate ticks myself.........

Jeff
11-24-2009, 17:45
You will not be lonely on a SOBO hike until maybe late September or October. Until then, you will meet or pass at least a dozen hikers every single day. The best part of hiking the AT is meeting new friends with common interests.

Regarding your start date....most SOBO hikers do not begin in Maine until at least June 1st. This year the June starters had lots and lots of rain and mud. July starters had fewer challenges in regards to weather.

Enjoy your hike. You will never forget the memories!!!!!

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 18:04

You run into more people, you hike with less people. (Because you meet all the northbounders coming your way.)

ShelterLeopard
11-24-2009, 18:06
Snakes understand the AT is a hiker superhighway so most of the time they stay away. I can't remember offhand ever actually seeing a snake on the AT.

I saw five in a two day span, but they were all black rat snakes, harmless/not poisonous. (Well, they'll bite you if they get freaked out) But they eat mice and rats, sooo, I don't mind 'em.

jgregory124
11-24-2009, 18:30
When do you plan to start? Im interested. I was Army, wounded in Iraq....

mitchj
12-06-2009, 22:39
Hey I was hoping to go around that same time. I'm a student as well, at Northern Michigan University, and am just getting into hiking now. Just let me know if you're still interested

sumnere
12-07-2009, 13:20
I'm planning a sobo trip starting in early June. Hopefully we cross paths along the way. best of luck

Philip
12-07-2009, 15:12
Veteran soldier here as well and also graduating in the spring with the second and final of two masters degrees. I am currently planning to hit the trail SOBO around the 2nd week of July. Though I envision hiking mostly alone, it would be cool to have someone to loosely associate with and meet up in the evenings. Shoot me a PM if you want to trade info so we can maybe run into each other in Maine. Best of luck...

Spot In The Sky
01-18-2010, 10:15
Hey- looking to start my SOBO on July 1st. I live in Arlington, VA right now, moving out June 1st to move all my stuff into my parents house and then starting the hike a month later.
I am 25 not too much camping experience but completely ready for this. Will be running my third marathon two weeks before the start of the hike and have done lots of hiking in Shenandoah park.
I started another thread about my planned partner possibly backing out since hes acting shady so im trying to make alternate plans and i dont think anyone in my life would feel too comfortable with me doing the whole hike alone, not that im terribly scared myself.
I hate snakes and spiders, a lot.

traildust
01-18-2010, 10:25
Spot in the Sky just lost his partner. There you go. Then again, lots of reasons, as stated in that thread, for going alone.

quiet paul
01-26-2010, 15:25
I hiked south bound in 2009. Your start date will probably be a hike killer. There are to many black fly in May. Even early June it can be bad. I would agree with another poster that June 1 is the earliest you can start. Maine is hard and wonderful to hike. You don't want Maine of all the states you hike to be a bad experience. I started July 6 and as another poster said, you will have plenty of company till the midddle of September. Good Luck

quiet paul
01-26-2010, 15:30
I've hiked the whole trail 2 times now. The only risk involve is falling of a bar stool in town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff
01-26-2010, 16:02
Quiet Paul,

Nice to see you posting here. Great meeting you in Manchester, VT. Glad your SOBO hike was a success.

Blissful
01-26-2010, 20:02
I am 25 not too much camping experience but completely ready for this. Will be running my third marathon two weeks before the start of the hike and have done lots of hiking in Shenandoah park.

I can tell you, ME and NH are NOTHING like SNP. Just to let you know. And I would be careful about running before your hike. You do not use the same muscle groups. I'd switch to long walks. :)

Wesoloski
02-01-2010, 02:00
I'm looking at a early to mid july start date. I wouldn't want anything set in stone, but familiar faces are camp sites and occasional days together sounds good to me :). 24 year old firefighter, on his way of getting back in shape after sitting around a slow department for a year...

tfeudale
03-01-2010, 00:16
EVERYONE (at home anyway) has been telling me not to hike alone because of the safety concerns. It has been freaking me out, and I have been dying to have a friend to do this with me. No one is committed enough to do the whole thing from start to finish with me. I plan to start mid-may after graduation going Southbound. I am VERY determined to do this. I may not have a lot of skill, but I know a lot and feel I will learn as I go from what I have been hearing. I want to do this even if I do go alone. SO... if anyone is of around the same age and female please get back to me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

robkds
03-26-2010, 00:33
I am doing a sobo thru starting June 1 if you want to join me then.

janasty
03-26-2010, 14:57
Hey there. I started a NOBO hike in January and ended up with 3 kidney stones and a strained hip flexor so im starting over in june..preferrably the beginning of June going south from Katahdin.

[email protected]

Id love to hike with you...and we have alot in common with the marines.

-JANASTY

Kryptahdin
04-04-2010, 22:44
Hi guys! I'm also starting a SOBO hike this summer. Mid-June. I'd love to get to know some of you folks in case we run into each other on the trail. I'm all for hiking by my lonesome (though, truth be told, being a city kid for 30 years has me feeling weird about being in the woods overnight by myself, lol), but it would be nice to know some of the other folks going SOBO beforehand.

Anyone from the Mid-Atlantic area? I'm in Baltimore.

Blissful
04-06-2010, 08:44
We are leaving July 1st. Plan to take it slow though. We're just north of Charlottesville.

Janderson
04-15-2010, 02:06
Hey,
I'm also looking to SOBO from Maine to Georgia. I'm planning on starting June 1st. I'm a college student from Virginia and graduate from a Virginia school this spring. I have no time restraints and I'm physically in great shape, former college swimmer, but ready to hike at any pace. I'm a former Eagle scout and excited to get back to hiking and to just take a break from what I've been doing. Let me know if you still need a partner as my parents would really like me to have one, and all my friends either won't commit or will definitely back out. Let me know.