PDA

View Full Version : Unknown campsite/shelter

Graywolf
09-04-2009, 20:19
Between Long Creek Falls and Hawk Mountain you have the Hickory Flats cemetary and town site. When I reached the area of the old forest rd. The trail goes by a small plot of corn I hear the forest service is growing for the area wildlife. Upon crossing the road, I saw a small hand written sign that said "camp site/shed".

Does anyone know about this place? It has been on my mind since I came home from my section hike.

Phreak
09-04-2009, 20:25
Between Long Creek Falls and Hawk Mountain you have the Hickory Flats cemetary and town site. When I reached the area of the old forest rd. The trail goes by a small plot of corn I hear the forest service is growing for the area wildlife. Upon crossing the road, I saw a small hand written sign that said "camp site/shed".

Does anyone know about this place? It has been on my mind since I came home from my section hike.
Yeah, I saw that sign last weekend. If you follow the road about 100 yds (just around the bend), there is a cemetary, a covered pavilion and semi-modern restrooms. Hikers are welcome to stay there.

Graywolf
09-04-2009, 20:43
Hey Thanks, That got that on my mind. actually I wrote it down in my guide book. It list the cemetary but not the pavillion.

When I was on my section hike at the beginning of August, I ran into some day hikers from the GATC and I asked them but they knew nothing about it. I would think someone from the GATC would have knpwn about it.

I was going to check it out but since no one knew about it at the time I got visions of the Blairwitch project going threw my head.

I should know to check these things out.

Graywolf
09-04-2009, 20:47
Oh, I'm bad. I just wrote the info in my guide book and looked at the description again and IT DOES mention the shelter/campsite. DOHHH!!!!

And I was just there.

Note to self, read the guide book before, not after.

veteran
09-05-2009, 10:04
Hickory Flats’ Cemetery Pavilion.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6870&stc=1&d=1252159331

Don H
09-05-2009, 21:04
Did you get a picture of the cemetery?

Graywolf
09-05-2009, 21:34

No, But the picture of the pavilion looks good.
I am planning another hike at the beginning of December. I guess I will have to stop in this time

Phreak
09-05-2009, 21:36
Photos of restrooms and cemetery.

Graywolf
09-07-2009, 21:46
Photos of restrooms and cemetery.

restrooms and cemetaries?? Are they trying to tell us something here?:-?

Wise Old Owl
09-07-2009, 22:49
Thank you for the update.

Graywolf
09-07-2009, 23:07
Just wanted to say thanks for the pictures. Now I know. Man did I have to go when I past there. Should of known:D

Just Lisa
09-09-2009, 09:21
I just googled Hickory Flats Cemetary and found that there is one in North Caroline, Georgia, Tennessee, and Ohio. I assume this one is not Ohio, what state is this one in? I wanted to make a note of it in my databook.
Thank you!

Tennessee Viking
09-09-2009, 09:44
There is something similiar at Dyer Gap on the BMT. Cemetary with a pavallion.

gearfreak
09-09-2009, 10:47
This Hickory Flats is in Georgia, 8/10 of a mile north of Long Creek Falls and 1.8 miles south of Hawk Mountain Shelter. :cool:

Kerosene
09-09-2009, 12:06
It's Hickory Flatts Cemetary, with 2 T's.

max patch
09-09-2009, 13:51
The trail used to be on the west side of the cemetery until it was relocated to the east side. You can still find the old trail if you know where to look; the woods are starting to reclaim it.

There used to be a merry go round there.

Gladiator
09-09-2009, 14:28
The trail used to be on the west side of the cemetery until it was relocated to the east side. You can still find the old trail if you know where to look; the woods are starting to reclaim it.

There used to be a merry go round there.

Is the old trail the one that is near the trail to Hawk Mt. Shelter?

veteran
09-09-2009, 15:23
Hickory Flats Cemetary Map

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6887&stc=1&d=1252525603

drastic_quench
09-09-2009, 15:53
restrooms and cemetaries?? Are they trying to tell us something here?:-?
Lots of times, I've been just dyin' to take a crap. I guess it actually happens.

Rain Man
09-09-2009, 19:20
The trail used to be on the west side of the cemetery until it was relocated to the east side.

Do you recall when the relocation was done?

And just to be clear, if you are hiking NOBO, the cemetery is to the left of the AT now?

I looked, but never found it when I hiked through in '03.

Rain:sunMan

veteran
09-09-2009, 20:21
Do you recall when the relocation was done?

Georgia AT Relocations (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~stewartholt/AT/Georgia_AT_Relocations.html)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~stewartholt/AT/Hickory%20Flats%20Relocation%20Map.jpg

Egads
09-09-2009, 20:31
There is something similiar at Dyer Gap on the BMT. Cemetary with a pavallion.

Stuffing your face at funerals is an old southern tradition

Carl in FL
05-31-2011, 13:53
Sorry to drag up an old thread but -- does anyone know if the road/trail from the cemetery "gate" shown in post #21 is open to the south for vehicle use? Some of my maps show this connecting back to Fire Service Road 42, some maps do not.

I would think there has to be vehicle access to maintain the picnic area and restrooms, but it could be a private road, gated at both ends.

Thanks!

jbwood5
05-31-2011, 14:04
The last time I was there (2009?), the restrooms had been badly vandalized and were essentially unuseable (although possibly?). The pavllion was fine and a great place to seek shelter in a thunderstorm. I had lunch there and dried out a bunch of wet gear on the benches in the front.

WingedMonkey
05-31-2011, 14:04
Sorry to drag up an old thread but -- does anyone know if the road/trail from the cemetery "gate" shown in post #21 is open to the south for vehicle use? Some of my maps show this connecting back to Fire Service Road 42, some maps do not.

I would think there has to be vehicle access to maintain the picnic area and restrooms, but it could be a private road, gated at both ends.

Thanks!

See if this helps:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=34493&CScn=hickory+flats&CSst=12&

jbwood5
05-31-2011, 14:07
The last time I was there (2009?), the restrooms had been badly vandalized and were essentially unuseable (although possibly?). The pavllion was fine and a great place to seek shelter in a thunderstorm. I had lunch there and dried out a bunch of wet gear on the benches in the front.

This was also the place where those merry-go-round amusement park horses were stored. They are gone now. (or was I halucinating that day :))

Carl in FL
06-01-2011, 11:21
Thanks, Oh great Winged One.
It was pretty much what I needed to know.

jbwood5: Those are called Carousel horses. Some people actually collect them, and
some are worth thousand of dollars, could possibly have something to do with why
they are gone now.