PDA

View Full Version : maps, maps, maps

sarahgirl
09-05-2009, 02:44
I know this was just asked by someone else, but does anyone else have maps they would be willing to sell cheap or, im gonna go out on a limb here...allow me to borrow and I would mail them back to said loaner along the way.

I just can't spend 200 bucks on maps and expect to get to springer next spring. I have to stop spending!!!!

Old Hillwalker
09-05-2009, 07:43
PM Sent

Tom

The Old Fhart
09-05-2009, 11:39
While I believe it is a good idea to carry maps, what struck me about your post is that you say the difference of $200 could make the difference between your hiking the trail or not. There are many unforeseen expenses you'll run into along the way and having what you'd consider more than enough money to hike the trail would be a wise plan and help make your hike successful.

MikenSalem
09-05-2009, 11:51
While I believe it is a good idea to carry maps, what struck me about your post is that you say the difference of $200 could make the difference between your hiking the trail or not. There are many unforeseen expenses you'll run into along the way and having what you'd consider more than enough money to hike the trail would be a wise plan and help make your hike successful.

I agree completely. Also if you have bought that much new equipment you might want to do a shakedown or two with it. Sometimes the hype is only hype, sometimes it don't work for you. Whatever you do the very best of luck:o

sarahgirl
09-06-2009, 03:46
I personally know of at least one person that had to leave the trail because his funds ran out, and I'm sure there are many more with similar situations. I don't want this to happen, and so I'm cutting up my debit card and putting five hundred bucks of each paycheck into a small wooden box that only has a tiny slit in the top, so I can't get to it. As you say, there are many things that could probably take one from the trail and this is the one thing that I can prevent right now. Thanks for the encouragement.

Safari
09-08-2009, 20:35
have to agree, two hundred bucks isn't a heck of a lot to be quibbling about on a mammoth journey such as an AT thru... I'm nearly half way (in PA at the moment) and have spent faaaarrrr more than expected, saying that, good on ya for saving so hard towards your goal & yeah, i have found maps really useful, for deviation routes and ways to avoid backtracking into towns, taking less travelled trails during busy times... and unfortunately I have been really sick & needed to know where i was and how to get to a hospital, hey- good luck! :)