PDA

View Full Version : Parking at abol bridge

earlyriser26
09-05-2009, 14:49
Thinking of a mid-oct hike. Parking options? Is the campground closed then? Cell signal at abol bridge?

boarstone
09-05-2009, 16:53
Abol campground closes Sept. 30, you can park near the store, you'll see the area as you approach. Cell reception depends on phone provider. Signals have been had off Nesundabunt Mt, Antlers Camp, Potaywadjo lean-to/ridge.

aquaman1208
09-05-2009, 17:20
what cell provider is the best?

earlyriser26
09-05-2009, 21:59
Abol campground closes Sept. 30, you can park near the store, you'll see the area as you approach. Cell reception depends on phone provider. Signals have been had off Nesundabunt Mt, Antlers Camp, Potaywadjo lean-to/ridge.
How safe is it?

Tinker
09-05-2009, 22:07
I didn't get a signal with Verizon at Abol last year. Most mountain peaks and high ridges worked for me.
Make sure your phone is off when you aren't using it or it will continue searching for a signal and you'll run the battery down.

Tinker
09-05-2009, 22:11
How safe is it?

Not very if you have exactly what a car thief is looking for:rolleyes:.
I drive old junks and I'm not worried.
Have a mechanic install a fuel pump switch in a hidden area if you're concerned (but even that can be located and hot wired).
It's a long drive out of Millinocket just to steal a car, though.
Vandalism is more of a possibility, but I haven't heard anything about it at Abol - again, it's a long way to drive just to make mischief.
Check hunting season and wear blaze orange if it's on when you leave.