PDA

View Full Version : SteriPen

spreadx1
09-05-2009, 15:09
I know there are a lot of Steripen users/experts on here. I had been looking at buying the Adventurer ($99), but just saw the 'Safe Water System" on sale for $69, which includes the SteriPEN Classic purifier, water bottle prefilter, 1-liter BPA-free wide-mouth water bottle.
http://www.rei.com/product/784449

Does anyone have any thoughts on this versus the Adventurer? I'm pretty new at this and only get to hike a few times a year, so looking for some advice. Thanks in advance!

Wags
09-06-2009, 11:04
the "classic" is what i own. it uses AA batteries which are very easy to resupply. the adventurer uses little watch type batteries and can become a pain to resupply... i think that's a great price for a water system

lazy river road
09-06-2009, 11:16
wags good info i im glad you told me about the classis and double A batteries...Id rather have that then watch batteries seems much easier to get replacements..

Lybarger
09-06-2009, 11:56
Try and keep it simple on the trail. SteriPens are too unreliable. Stick with Aqua Mira.

Summit
09-06-2009, 20:12
Just get the classic or Adventurer. I got this system, but not for $69 . . . that is a great price. But the water bottle is heavier than Nalgene bottles and the the threads stripped on the cap in a very short time. I don't use the pre-filter at all anymore . . . tried it a couple of times and as others have suggested, not worth its weight considering how seldom you need it (on the AT), when a bandana, coffee filter, or stocking hose will do just as well.

lazy river road
09-06-2009, 20:18
hey summit is this the steri pen you have...ive been reading a lot of your post on this...i was considering buying this but should I get the Steri Adventurer or the other model they have what is the difference in the models besides weight...i want to get it right the first time I do it...I also have chlorine tablets as back up as well

Rain Man
09-06-2009, 23:16
I have the Classic and use it now instead of my Katadyn filter. I've yet to run into dirty water on the AT. If I run into a stretch with dirty water, I'll switch back to the filter. Till then, I prefer my Classic. It was a gift, so it was free to me.

I've also had problems with the threads on the pre-filter. Way too hard to screw on and off and the grip is way too slippery and rounded. NOT a good design. I don't bother with it.

Rain:sunMan

skinewmexico
09-07-2009, 01:38
The adventurer doesn't use watch batteries, it uses CR 123 batteries. No big deal. I can't imagine using a bottle that weighs more than a Nalgene, I don't even use Nalgene's due to their weight. That, and you can get wide-mouthed Gatorade bottles for free.

Summit
09-07-2009, 08:07
hey summit is this the steri pen you have...ive been reading a lot of your post on this...i was considering buying this but should I get the Steri Adventurer or the other model they have what is the difference in the models besides weight...i want to get it right the first time I do it...I also have chlorine tablets as back up as wellI haven't tried the Adventurer so can't compare from experience. I have looked at them at REI. Compared to the Classic, it would appear there are some trade-offs as with most choices on things:

Pros for Adventurer (opposite are Cons for Classic):
CR123 batteries are lighter
Unit as a whole is lighter and smaller
LED to indicate battery life remaining (among other things)

Cons for Adventurer (opposite are Pros for Classic):
CR123 batteries not as easily available on AT as AAs

If I were needing one today, i.e. didn't already own the Classic, I would probably go with the Adventurer as I have no plans to do a thru anytime soon, so the lack of availability of CR123 batteries would not be an issue for section hiking.

If planning a thru, I'd try to find out more info from someone who used the Adventurer on a thru regarding battery replacement problems before going with it.

Lyle
09-07-2009, 08:25
A plastic mayonnaise jar works well with a Steripen.

YoungMoose
09-07-2009, 09:58
I have the adventurer. I got it from rei like with the same package but a different type of filter. i got that for 80$. Ive never used the classic but i would think that if they upgrade a product its sometimes better. Also if you cant find the batteries that you would need for the adventurer. YOu can just have it mailed to you or if you have it in a bounce box. I think the batteries last for 100 uses each. So lets say you filter 4 nalgenes a day. That means the batteries are fine for 20 days.

DareN
09-07-2009, 10:58
I have the Adventurer and have used it a lot with no problems. I just treat the water in my cookpot and pour it into platty's. I'm not worried about using my cookpot for that as I am boiling my water when cooking anyway. I have not found the availability of the CR 123's to be an issue. More and more convenience stores carry them nowadays. They can be expensive to purchase that way though. It is best to go to Lowe's and buy the Surefires for less than $5 a pack and bounce them ahead.

ChinMusic
09-07-2009, 11:26
I haven't tried the Adventurer so can't compare from experience. I have looked at them at REI. Compared to the Classic, it would appear there are some trade-offs as with most choices on things:

Pros for Adventurer (opposite are Cons for Classic):
CR123 batteries are lighter
Unit as a whole is lighter and smaller
LED to indicate battery life remaining (among other things)

Cons for Adventurer (opposite are Pros for Classic):
CR123 batteries not as easily available on AT as AAs

If I were needing one today, i.e. didn't already own the Classic, I would probably go with the Adventurer as I have no plans to do a thru anytime soon, so the lack of availability of CR123 batteries would not be an issue for section hiking.

If planning a thru, I'd try to find out more info from someone who used the Adventurer on a thru regarding battery replacement problems before going with it.

I concur this this post. I would value the easy availability of AA batteries to trump the weight advantage of the Adventurer. I have no experience with regards to the availability of the CR123s, so I am only guessing here.

One advantage, for me, is that the Classic fits PERFECTLY with a 32 oz Gatorade bottle. The Gatorade bottle is my preferred canteen.

lazy river road
09-07-2009, 11:57
i dont plan on thru hikeing...ill be doing mostly section and long weekend trips...i think im gonna go with the classic...a gift to my self

ChinMusic
09-07-2009, 12:06
i dont plan on thru hikeing...ill be doing mostly section and long weekend trips...i think im gonna go with the classic...a gift to my self
Remember to wipe dry the contacts after use and before replacing the plastic cover. If you ever get an error message this is probably the issue.

lazy river road
09-07-2009, 12:14
CM thanks for the advice...ill def remember that

Summit
09-07-2009, 13:29
Remember to wipe dry the contacts after use and before replacing the plastic cover. If you ever get an error message this is probably the issue.There are two handy things that work well . . . if dry I often use my polyester t-shirt that I'm wearing. If it's yucky stinky sweaty, I use a sheet of TP. The later works best. You can even fold a sheet of TP and store it up in the Steripen's cap.

Wags
09-07-2009, 16:51
There are two handy things that work well . . . if dry I often use my polyester t-shirt that I'm wearing. If it's yucky stinky sweaty, I use a sheet of TP. The later works best. You can even fold a sheet of TP and store it up in the Steripen's cap.

i cut a 1"x1" section off my camp towel (shamwow) and just keep it with the steripen case for this purpose. extremely useful when sterilizing more than 1 L of water

bumpass
09-13-2009, 16:04
I have the Adventurer, use Lithium batteries which are usually good for 3 weeks. Take extra set along. Cut off top of a 2 liter soda bottle (which is also my misc. wash basin) mark .5 and 1 L. Soda bottle slides over most stoves.

Cannibal
09-14-2009, 01:07
Been using the Classic for over two years now and still love it! I choose the Classic because I could multipurpose the AA batteries from my camera if need be. I'd still make the same choice if I was in the market today.

sheepdog
09-14-2009, 09:34
I have the Adventurer and love it. I've used it over two years and have had no problems.

Gumbi
09-15-2009, 12:05
I want to wait til they come out with UV LED's. Unbreakable, never burn out, and batteries last 5 times as long! (I hope they come out with LED bulbs, maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.)

ARambler
09-15-2009, 12:21
I use the Journey. It fits in Gatorade bottles, unlike the Adventerer. The Classic fits, but is heavy. I get about 2 weeks on the batteries. If I didn't mail packages, the battery size would be an issue.

Only have 1100 warm miles on mine. It failed once just over freezing.
Rambler

ChinMusic
09-15-2009, 12:25
I want to wait til they come out with UV LED's. Unbreakable, never burn out, and batteries last 5 times as long! (I hope they come out with LED bulbs, maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.)
This IS the next step. And it is game over then.

FamilyGuy
09-15-2009, 15:58
This IS the next step. And it is game over then.

Ah yes, longer life batteries but still existing shortcomings. Definitely game over then.:rolleyes:

Jester2000
09-15-2009, 16:59
A plastic mayonnaise jar works well with a Steripen.

This is an interesting idea, but does UV light penetrate mayonnaise?

FamilyGuy
09-15-2009, 17:02
This is an interesting idea, but does UV light penetrate mayonnaise?

Only the fat free versions.

Funkmeister
09-15-2009, 17:13
UV LEDs do exist already, gumbi. They are about 35 cents in bulk. But they are 400nm bulbs, and the light that the Steripen uses is more like 250nm. I am not an expert on uv spectrometry.

ChinMusic
09-15-2009, 18:09
Ah yes, longer life batteries but still existing shortcomings. Definitely game over then.:rolleyes:
LOL, nothing to offer yet again. What a bore.

FamilyGuy
09-15-2009, 19:28
LOL, nothing to offer yet again. What a bore.

I agree - you should seek help for that. Or sell the Steripen for something that is proven to work.

How is the therapy coming?

ChinMusic
09-15-2009, 20:59
I agree - you should seek help for that. Or sell the Steripen for something that is proven to work.

How is the therapy coming?
I think readers of these Steripen thread know how vapid and fallacious your information has been. You have not presented one iota of substantiation.......just drivel.

sheepdog
09-15-2009, 21:27
I think readers of these Steripen thread know how vapid and fallacious your information has been. You have not presented one iota of substantiation.......just drivel.
I like the big words, do not necessarily agree with the comment. This sheepdog does not take a stand on this issue.

FamilyGuy
09-15-2009, 22:08

And you have provided only the good points of the Steripen and you ignore the bad.

And Sheepdog, it is better to be a Sheepdog and lead, rather than blindly follow....like a sheep.

sheepdog
09-15-2009, 22:19
And you have provided only the good points of the Steripen and you ignore the bad.

And Sheepdog, it is better to be a Sheepdog and lead, rather than blindly follow....like a sheep.
Wasn't ganging up on you I just liked the big words. I changed my post to reflect that.
A good sheepdog stands between the sheep and the wolves.

FamilyGuy
09-15-2009, 22:25
Alright - I was defensive and apologize to you. I think I have provided some counter argument to the use of Steripen because my opinion is that all methods have pros and cons - the Steripen isn't the best in all cases. Due diligence I presume.

...except I feel a little like the sheep here, hardly the wolf :D

sheepdog
09-15-2009, 22:27
We're good, just a misunderstanding.